PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting sick of the revolving door roster?

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Been watching the NFL since the mid-60's and I find myself losing inyterest for the first time. It has gotten to the point where it seems 50% of the team is turned over every year. Guys you become big fans of are now on a team you hate (i.e. KP to the Eagles) and vice versa. I used to be able to know every player on the Giants roster from memory as there was so little change year to year. Now forget about it, without an on-line roster I couldn't come close. I am sure I will always watch the Giants as it is in my blood but I really think the NFL has jumped the shark with free agency and salary caps.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Not really. It levels the playing field and increases competition

quan the don
03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Baseball may be the sport for you Bud. In the NFL everyone has the right to have a chance

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Then go watch baseball... I hear they have a soft cap.

Hard cap is what makes football great. All teams start with the same base amount of resources to work with. Sucking more in a season gives you higher draft picks (which is supposed to help bad teams bounce back in theory, but in practice some teams just have bad managers)

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I'd much rather this than have "rich" teams dominating year in and year out.

The cap keeps things fresh.

TheEnigma
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
It has become a GM league now with the way FA works. The scouting department and cap specalists play huge roles in the business and that's why more emphasis is put on the FO publicly than before.

hadenough
03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Been watching the NFL since the mid-60's and I find myself losing inyterest for the first time. It has gotten to the point where it seems 50% of the team is turned over every year. Guys you become big fans of are now on a team you hate (i.e. KP to the Eagles) and vice versa. I used to be able to know every player on the Giants roster from memory as there was so little change year to year. Now forget about it, without an on-line roster I couldn't come close. I am sure I will always watch the Giants as it is in my blood but I really think the NFL has jumped the shark with free agency and salary caps.

It's just the way it is...not only in football but every sport. You can no longer follow many players as they are always jumping from team to team...but you can always following the Giants. That will never change.

But I agree to a point...I wish there was less moving around. When players go to the eagles it hurts....Steve Smith, KP, etc.

Baseball is the same way....the beloved Red Sox hero Wade Boggs crushed a lot of people when he went to the Yankees and won a title.

And it will just continue.

The players realize it's a business and there is no loyalty from teams or players anymore. Each have to look out for their best interest.

Money eventually ruins all.

CowboysSuck
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
I see what the OP is saying. It is kind of annoying that players just bounce from team to team eery year. But the same is true in Basketball, Hockey, etc.

I dont know, I guess I just accept it and am thankful the NFL has a cap

TCHOF
03-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Welcome to 2013

quan the don
03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
I do kinda agree though, It really burns me when the Giants scout, and pick a player, and then in a couple of years he gets signed away to some other team.

GiantRoc
03-15-2013, 11:05 AM
To be honest, It would be fun to develop players and keep them. It would be nice to cheer for guys you have come to know as "Giants". It's just not the world we live in anymore. The salary cap is designed to give every team a chance to have a good team. It doesn't really work that way, because a lot more goes into a good team than good players. The Giants have one of the best talent mining teams in the league. We dig up the rough diamonds, cut and polish them to value. Then another owner who has a few extra bucks can buy them away. Sometimes if a diamond is in the wrong setting, it loses its luster. It happens to players too. The bottom line is, don't get emotionally wrapped up in the players. Sure, most will play hard for the team they are on, but they are their own best interest. It's not a bad thing. It's just the way it is. The loyalty in today's NFL is about 85% money and 15% team. It's not a bad thing, it's is just the way it is. Just like the teams loyalty is to the team more than the player. The Giants seem to be one of the more loyal teams when it comes to players, but if the player can't benefit the team, they won't be around long.

Be a Giants fan. Hope the bodies in the uniforms play well together and win a Championship. Don't get all worked up about any player. It's just not the way the league is anymore. Cheer for the plays the guys make when they are here. The days of one team players are LONG GONE.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
I'd much rather this than have "rich" teams dominating year in and year out.

The cap keeps things fresh. I hope you're not assuming rich teams dominate every year...

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
I do kinda agree though, It really burns me when the Giants scout, and pick a player, and then in a couple of years he gets signed away to some other team. This is what I agree with. Here's a fine example: Victor Cruz

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Cruz is still a Giant...

I hope you're not assuming rich teams dominate every year...
Yeah I am. I follow English football (soccer) and the teams with the highest bankrolls dominate. You can usually pick the league winner before the season begins.

ibbill
03-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Yup I use to remember every name and number loved it then. As they say the players are trying to get as much money as possible.T.C. may have to change his way also as he has always been loyal to the vets on the team but things have changed. ex. D.D. last year.Like it no live with it yes all be it not liking it.

GiantRoc
03-15-2013, 11:17 AM

I kinda disagree. It makes life easier for lazy or poor talent scouts who have owners willing to spend. If it truly leveled the field, teams that suck would eventually get better. That doesn't happen all that much. I agree it allows all the markets a fighting chance, unlike baseball. It's the owners, FO and coaching staff that really make the teams winners. Luckily no other teams can steal our owners! :)

GiantRoc
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Cruz is still a Giant...

Yeah I am. I follow English football (soccer) and the teams with the highest bankrolls dominate. You can usually pick the league winner before the season begins.

SOCCER! I knew there was something weird about you! :D

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Cruz is still a Giant...

Yeah I am. I follow English football (soccer) and the teams with the highest bankrolls dominate. You can usually pick the league winner before the season begins. Cruz' future with the Giants is uncertain, and Soccer is boring, no thanks

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM

I perfer dynasty/great teams and not punisihing smart teams who draft well and develop good players.

Ruttiger711
03-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I perfer dynasty/great teams and not punisihing smart teams who draft well and develop good players.

like who?

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 11:30 AM
SOCCER! I knew there was something weird about you! :D
Haha, I follow many sports. NFL is the main one, though.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from here. It becomes incredibly hard for teams to retain the studs they create.

There's no reward for picking up a Victor Cruz off the street beyond having him under contract for a few years for cheap.
Teams scout out great players then lose them once they hit their prime. It's unfair, but fair at the same time.

Restricted free agency helps a tad, but it'd be nice if something else could be sorted out.
Perhaps have only a portion of drafted players' contracts count towards the cap? Could something like that work?

dezzzR
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Not at all, its exciting. I hate seeing players like Phillips leave but, what can you do. Pats, Steelers, all successful teams do this.

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
like who?

The Giants - how many players in the past 5 years have been cherry picked by other teams? The Giants have drafted well but it doesn't matter as they can not keep the players they have drafted and developed due to FA and the Cap. Do I need to start rattling off the names? When you spend more time discussing capology, FA status, etc instead on X's and O's someting is wrong in my mind. It seems the NFL is turning into Fantasy Football.

BiteyMax22
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
At times yes, but then again the last two times it looked like we were cleaning house and rebuilding we won the Superbowl.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

I hate seeing a team dismantled (in part or majority) every year. We like our guys, and we want to see them play year after year.

Unfortunately that's the business of the NFL today to keep the game even.

And I sure wouldn't want to go back to the Giants of the 70s where we couldn't improve our team to save our lives (once you made those mistakes you kind of had to live with them).

bigblue58
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM

That's the NFL in the age of the salary cap. Baseball has changed the most for the worst...with pitch counts.......stupid made up positions like "set up men" and "The Closer"...Joe"the idiot" Girardi as the manager of my once beloved Yankees....which is why I've lost total interest in watching baseball. I LOVE football and it would take something drastic for me to EVER stop watching it! But I definitely feel your pain dude.
I'm 55 and old enough to remember a better time in sports too, before all the BS that ruined everything and sent favoriteplayers to other teams. Every time it rains it reminds me of me and my brother killing a rainy day by playing Strat-o-Matic or playing my electric football game where it vibrated to move the men around the metal field.

Ruttiger711
03-15-2013, 11:50 AM
The Giants - how many players in the past 5 years have been cherry picked by other teams? The Giants have drafted well but it doesn't matter as they can not keep the players they have drafted and developed due to FA and the Cap. Do I need to start rattling off the names? When you spend more time discussing capology, FA status, etc instead on X's and O's someting is wrong in my mind. It seems the NFL is turning into Fantasy Football.

Well thats the challenge no?

Its probably an obvious comment, but 2 superbowls in a 5 year span its hard to call the Giants punished... but on the other hand, if they didnt get ravaged in 2008 maybe the Plax loss isnt so significant and its potentially more SB's...at least better chances....but thats still a maybe.

...and fanstasy football is ruining the game separate from free agency completely IMO.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
It really screws up my Madden franchise. Thankfully when I got Madden 13 for Christmas (I stopped buying games for this gen as I'm saving for the next Gen Xbox) I traded Bradshaw for a first rounder LOL I knew he'd be gone. But you can play several seasons, but then see what happens in the free agency in real life and you're like "Damn it, now I wanna go back and fix this". Kinda like when a player has a break out year and their ratings don't pan out to their production IRL.

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
...and fanstasy football is ruining the game separate from free agency completely IMO.
How so?

Kinda like when a player has a break out year and their ratings don't pan out to their production IRL.
Or they don't look anything like themselves, as was the case with Kaepernick.

Roosevelt
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I agree. This new CBA has made the game worse as far as I'm concerned. Watching all these teams scramble to get under the cap and scrape together teams is not appealing to me.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-15-2013, 12:07 PM
How so?

Or they don't look anything like themselves, as was the case with Kaepernick. Cruz still looks like Uncle Ben's Rice. You'd think with the simple face generator tool they allow the fans to use to scan their faces on players, they'd just do that with NFL players in up-dates..so lazy.

teddy2700
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Baseball may be the sport for you Bud. In the NFL everyone has the right to have a chance

baseball is far more competive than you think

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I hate seeing a team dismantled (in part or majority) every year. We like our guys, and we want to see them play year after year.

Unfortunately that's the business of the NFL today to keep the game even.

And I sure wouldn't want to go back to the Giants of the 70s where we couldn't improve our team to save our lives (once you made those mistakes you kind of had to live with them).

Yes, but would you go back to the mid-80's?

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
It really screws up my Madden franchise. Thankfully when I got Madden 13 for Christmas (I stopped buying games for this gen as I'm saving for the next Gen Xbox) I traded Bradshaw for a first rounder LOL I knew he'd be gone. But you can play several seasons, but then see what happens in the free agency in real life and you're like "Damn it, now I wanna go back and fix this". Kinda like when a player has a break out year and their ratings don't pan out to their production IRL.

Is there a way to run Franchise Mode with entirely generated players from the start? I'd do that... it would make it a lot more interesting IMO. That way I could play GM without thinking of the IRL people. If you had a QB John Doe at the end of his career with stats like Eli, it would be a lot easier to let him go and draft a new one...

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Is there a way to run Franchise Mode with entirely generated players from the start? I'd do that... it would make it a lot more interesting IMO. Not that I know of, they also removed the ability to make new teams.

bill2000
03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I agree with the OP. It does take something out of the fan experience when so many personnel moves happen every season. I understand the necessity in today's sports world but I sure miss the days when you felt like you were pulling for a team and not just for a uniform or franchise. The money game has taken a lot of the fun out of sports,

nygpolishpunk
03-15-2013, 02:56 PM
According to Coughlin, the expected roster turnover year to year is about 30%, not 50%.

AGiantDynasty
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
I dont see the problem here. Salary cap is what makes this the greatest sport on this planet. The game is becoming MORE interesting, not less.

Having to manage a roster and finding the best players to fit your scheme is a great part about this game. Its what separates the good teams from the bad teams.

This just seems like another "things were better back in the day..." argument that really doesnt hold any water..

B&RWarrior
03-15-2013, 03:33 PM

Agreed. It's way more exciting now. The offseason has become entertaining.

Moke
03-15-2013, 03:35 PM
I just want the pre-season.

gmen46
03-15-2013, 03:36 PM
According to Coughlin, the expected roster turnover year to year is about 30%, not 50%.

Yes, this applies to every team in the NFL, every year.

Either Mara or Reese said it in different terms 2-3 years ago, when he said the average annual personnel turnover is approx 20 players each year--which = about 37%.

That's why that "Giants are in rebuilding mode" (which, sadly, was recently terminated by a moderator) thread was so ridiculous.

An example of a team rebuilding was the 2010 Seahawks (Carroll's first year as their HC), when they replaced 45 players. 45. And they deserved to be rebuilt at that time. That same year the Giants (coming off the dreadful 8-8 season of 2009) replaced about 20 players. And this year we will see approx the same number (give or take a player) of changes.

If you think about it, every draft--by its very existence--requires every team to make at minimum anywhere from 4 to 8 player changes, before there's a single FA change, or a retirement, or a career-ending injury, factored in.

bigjeep
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM

As an old time fan also, I agree 100%. Its getting hard to root for revolving mercenaries. Its the same old tired story. After they grab the biggest paycheck, its, "I always wanted to play in ___________ and the fans here are wonderfull". Then when they follow the next big paycheck its, "I always wanted to play in ___________ and the fans here are wonderfull". Sound familar! Its getting old.

AGiantDynasty
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
I think it comes down to one of two things:

1- Are you a fan of FOOTBALL?
or
2- Are you a fan of team X?

Football fans like the way things are. Competitive balance through salary caps, draft picks and FA have improved the game greatly.

Casual fans that really only follow 1 team might not like it because they only get attached to players on their own team.

Personally, I love the Giants, but I am a die hard fan of the sport itself.

jomo
03-15-2013, 03:57 PM
I accept it for what it is and view it as another opportunity to compete.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM

or

Football fans like the way things are. Competitive balance through salary caps, draft picks and FA have improved the game greatly.

Casual fans that really only follow 1 team might not like it because they only get attached to players on their own team.

Wellington Mara, in what can only be termed a moment of visionary genius, was the major push behind "revenue sharing" of TV contract $$ to strengthen and expand the NFL.

gmen46
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
I dont see the problem here. Salary cap is what makes this the greatest sport on this planet. The game is becoming MORE interesting, not less.

Having to manage a roster and finding the best players to fit your scheme is a great part about this game. Its what separates the good teams from the bad teams.

This just seems like another "things were better back in the day..." argument that really doesnt hold any water..

Agreed.

I'd be sympathetic with the OP, except that was my initial response 20 years ago when the modern age of FA and salary cap was introduced.

Over the 20 years since then, I've become accustomed to the reality of it, and have come to appreciate the serious talent, instinct, and intellect of the few GM / ownership combos that have mastered the delicate balance of consistency required to draft, acquire FAs of value, to release overpaid/underperforming players each year, and when to stretch a bit to compensate and retain a current roster player.

It's become very much a combination chess / poker ("know when to hold em and know when to fold em") tactical proposition.

So, while it's true the current system makes it virtually impossible for 1-2 teams to dominate every year for a stretch, like the Cowboys / Dolphins / Raiders / Steelers / and Vikings of the 70s, or like the Niners / Redskins / Giants (that won a total of 8 SBs in a 10 year stretch) of the 80s, it is also true that in today's NFL a few select teams do manage to put highly competitive teams on the field year in and year out.

Starting with the Patriots--who in my view, even allowing for all the praise it does receive annually, aren't singled out enough for their singular achievement of appearing in 5 SBs, winning 3, within an 11 year stretch in this age of FA and salary cap--there are a handful of teams who deserve credit for managing their challenges every year in a manner that puts them in competitive position virtually every year. This is the new "dominant team" description.

Over the past 12 years, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Green Bay---and, yes, the Giants--are really the only teams who've on balance fallen in to this category. Until at least 2 years ago, you could include the Eagles, Chargers in that elite group. Dallas has been promoted as such by many pundits every pre season, but have never lived up to their paper dynasty in that time frame, except in 2007 (and all Giants fans know what happened to that epic fail!).

For the last 5-6 years, you could add Falcons and Saints into that mix, but not for the last decade like the above.

This is the NFL of today. There are still dominant teams in the league, even today. But the overriding component and characteristics of those teams are different from those teams of the 80s, 70s, 60s, and before.

pino
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I've been watching the NFL since early 80's. It was annoying to lose players at first, but I understood it was better for the player. Also it has been so long that I am over it.

dilorernzo
03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Been watching the NFL since the mid-60's and I find myself losing inyterest for the first time. It has gotten to the point where it seems 50% of the team is turned over every year. Guys you become big fans of are now on a team you hate (i.e. KP to the Eagles) and vice versa. I used to be able to know every player on the Giants roster from memory as there was so little change year to year. Now forget about it, without an on-line roster I couldn't come close. I am sure I will always watch the Giants as it is in my blood but I really think the NFL has jumped the shark with free agency and salary caps. I agree with you..I think losing mario manningham hurt us last year more then people think..Sure manning put up some numbers etc..But there were some games where without nicks in the lineup, all the other teams had to do was shut down cruz and we couldn't move the ball..If they want caps okay, but they should have that exemption for guy's you draft like i believe the NBA has..You shouldn't be punished because you draft multiple good players..Today we wouldn't be able to Keep both LT and carl banks...we would have to watch banks go star somewhere else and that's stupid in my opinion !!

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
not when it yeilds 2 championships in 5 years. the FO knows better than we do.

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM

or

Giants fan first. Anything else is just stupid.

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
To be honest, It would be fun to develop players and keep them. It would be nice to cheer for guys you have come to know as "Giants". It's just not the world we live in anymore. The salary cap is designed to give every team a chance to have a good team. It doesn't really work that way, because a lot more goes into a good team than good players. The Giants have one of the best talent mining teams in the league. We dig up the rough diamonds, cut and polish them to value. Then another owner who has a few extra bucks can buy them away. Sometimes if a diamond is in the wrong setting, it loses its luster. It happens to players too. The bottom line is, don't get emotionally wrapped up in the players. Sure, most will play hard for the team they are on, but they are their own best interest. It's not a bad thing. It's just the way it is. The loyalty in today's NFL is about 85% money and 15% team. It's not a bad thing, it's is just the way it is. Just like the teams loyalty is to the team more than the player. The Giants seem to be one of the more loyal teams when it comes to players, but if the player can't benefit the team, they won't be around long.

Be a Giants fan. Hope the bodies in the uniforms play well together and win a Championship. Don't get all worked up about any player. It's just not the way the league is anymore. Cheer for the plays the guys make when they are here. The days of one team players are LONG GONE.

I understand the reality, it is a shame IMO.

G-Men Surg.
03-15-2013, 06:34 PM

I'm not sick about it. I'm not feeling like a happy camper right now seeing some guys get cut or not resigned but this is the way it is and you should know better by now, FA era started long ago and to some extent every year is the same.

jomo
03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
I understand the reality, it is a shame IMO.I agree with that but it is the new reality and having a strong front office allows us a new opportunity to be more creative, resourceful than others in remaking ourselves each year. Also, by having a strong consistent coaching stafff we can gain advantage our our competiion by getting so many new guys on the same page quickly while others struggle to find their footing. It is just another dimension of competing with a given set of rules. I like our chances in this environment (while missing some players I've grown fond of)

TroyArcher
03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm not sick about it. I'm not feeling like a happy camper right now seeing some guys get cut or not resigned but this is the way it is and you should know better by now, FA era started long ago and to some extent every year is the same.

I am not sure what you mean when you say I should know better by now. I know very well what is the situation, I just don't like it. I am not sick over it, just wish it was not this way.

jomo
03-15-2013, 07:08 PM
I am not sure what you mean when you say I should know better by now. I know very well what is the situation, I just don't like it. I am not sick over it, just wish it was not this way.+1 we all wish for a simpler time.

NorwoodBlue
03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I agree. This new CBA has made the game worse as far as I'm concerned. Watching all these teams scramble to get under the cap and scrape together teams is not appealing to me.

Do you want to really go back to the 60's? The Steelers dynasty is an example of what you don't want the NFL to be. Their second team was better than a lot of team's starters. Free agency was initiated by the players to get better pay; but it really has opened up competition. Teams can really go from worst to first if they make the right moves. I actually like the chess match during the off-season. Watching NFL free agency and draft day is a whole lot more interesting than watching the NBA or NHL. I like seeing new players come in and get a chance, and you can't say the Giants haven't pulled a few rabbits out of their hats with practice squad players and UFA. It's all part of the game, and I find it interesting as hell.

GentleGiant
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
If you wanted a soft cap then the cowboys would win the SB every year just cause they're rich. Do you really want that?

Ruttiger711
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
How so?Or they don't look anything like themselves, as was the case with Kaepernick.To me fantasy football emphasizes the success of the individual over the teams success - from a fans perspective and enforces the "me me me" attitude on some players.

You can have a Giants fan with some vested interest in the success of Romo or Bryant (while playing against NY no less) because it means their fantasy team is doing well.

Some fans would even take some solace in a team loss because Cruz racked up a ton of fantasy points. That's stupid. No offense to any one, and I'm not saying this as a generalization of all fantasy players - but I think FF is worse for football than individual end zone celebrations which many people openly detest.