PDA

View Full Version : Players Giants have let go since Reese took over

BiteyMax22
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Like every year I have been freaking out watching players leave the Giants in free agency, but something just occurred to me. Have any of the players the Giants have let walk since Reese has been GM been successful where they went??? I actually can not think of one player. In Reese We Trust!

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Shockey won a SB with Saints the next year and he was key in that game. But that was his last hurrah.

Will Allen had a full career after leaving the Giants but I wouldn't call him anything but a journeyman.

Cofield is probably the closest being a full starter with the Redskins and that team getting better now.

BiteyMax22
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
I agree with the Cofield one, I think that is the only player the Giants have regretted letting go.

bigblue58
03-15-2013, 01:15 PM
I think it has more to do with a player not adapting to a new team's system as well as they did to that of the Giants system .... than with Jerry Reese being some kind of clairvoyant genius, able to foretell when to get rid of a guy.
Lets not give him too much credit. After all...many of these fan favorites that we lost were because of financial issues....not the talent evaluating acumen of Jerry Reese

BlueSanta
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Shockey won a SB with Saints the next year and he was key in that game. But that was his last hurrah.

Will Allen had a full career after leaving the Giants but I wouldn't call him anything but a journeyman.

Cofield is probably the closest being a full starter with the Redskins and that team getting better now.

Shockey was the highest paid TE in football when the Saints got him, sure they may have won a Superbowl, but they ate their lunch on that contract and you could argue he cost them a chance at another superbowl with his shenanigans the following season.

Allen was better after he left. I agree there.

Coefield has not been the star on the skins people seem to think he is. I am not sure where this is coming from. His stats for the last 2 years combined with the skins are about the same as they were for just his 2010 season with the Giants. He has been good, but he was far better with us.

BParcells777
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Ryan Clark was the biggest loss in the Reese Era, followed by Ryan Grant.......Clark also metted out some horrific punishment on Cruz in the end zone last year and made us pay for letting him walk
Cruz was never the same player after that hit
Arron Ross was a huge loss but he is back.....I was watching the last Giants SB and Ross and JPP were the Defensive heroes in that game
Ross was killing people....JPP was all over the field and blocked a lot of passes

btbrennan
03-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Was Shiancoe part of the Reese era? He ended up having a few good years on the vikings

Drez
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Was Shiancoe part of the Reese era? He ended up having a few good years on the vikingsNot too sure. He played here through '06, but not too sure if he was let go before or after Reese took over.

Drez
03-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Shockey was the highest paid TE in football when the Saints got him, sure they may have won a Superbowl, but they ate their lunch on that contract and you could argue he cost them a chance at another superbowl with his shenanigans the following season.

Allen was better after he left. I agree there.

Coefield has not been the star on the skins people seem to think he is. I am not sure where this is coming from. His stats for the last 2 years combined with the skins are about the same as they were for just his 2010 season with the Giants. He has been good, but he was far better with us.He plays nose in a 34 in DC. He isn't going to compile a ton of stats. His job is to eat up blockers. He's done very well in DC. If nothing else, he's done no worse there than he had been here.

BParcells777
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I'd love to get Kevin Boss back or the other guy who went up to play with Bellicheat

Drez
03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd love to get Kevin Boss back or the other guy who went up to play with BellicheatBoss should probably retire. Not to sound harsh, but he's one hit away from needing a feeding tube. I loved Ballard when he was here, but he's nothing spectacular.

Drez
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Ryan Clark was the biggest loss in the Reese Era, followed by Ryan Grant.......Clark also metted out some horrific punishment on Cruz in the end zone last year and made us pay for letting him walk
Cruz was never the same player after that hit
Arron Ross was a huge loss but he is back.....I was watching the last Giants SB and Ross and JPP were the Defensive heroes in that game
Ross was killing people....JPP was all over the field and blocked a lot of passesWe let Clark go after the '03 season. That was before Reese's tenure as GM. Ross wasn't a big loss. I'm glad he's back, but he's a CB4, not a starter.

BParcells777
03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
We let Clark go after the '03 season. That was before Reese's tenure as GM. Ross wasn't a big loss. I'm glad he's back, but he's a CB4, not a starter.

watch the last giants SB victory and tell me that.........Ross played like a man possessed

Drez
03-15-2013, 11:15 PM
watch the last giants SB victory and tell me that.........Ross played like a man possessedThat doesn't mean that he was a good player. It means he had a good game.

gmen0820
03-15-2013, 11:26 PM

Cofield is probably the closest being a full starter with the Redskins and that team getting better now.Giants didn't let Shockey walk though.

gmen0820
03-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Not too sure. He played here through '06, but not too sure if he was let go before or after Reese took over.He wasn't retained by Reese.

Shiancoe was a TC/Accorsi shortcoming. He just didn't develop well here.

Drez
03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
He wasn't retained by Reese.

Shiancoe was a TC/Accorsi shortcoming. He just didn't develop well here.**** happens. I suppose we didn't see the Shockey situation unfolding as it did just couple years later.

gmen0820
03-15-2013, 11:36 PM
**** happens. I suppose we didn't see the Shockey situation unfolding as it did just couple years later.I was all in favor of letting Shockey go.

Now that I look back on it though, I doubt I would take that same position....

And not just because Sintim and Bomar blew ****.

Drez
03-15-2013, 11:47 PM
I was all in favor of letting Shockey go.

Now that I look back on it though, I doubt I would take that same position....

And not just because Sintim and Bomar blew ****.Granted, the draft picks were regrettable, but I still think it was the right move. Eli definitely grew more as a QB without him and Tiki around.

JJC7301
03-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Shockey may have helped the Saints in the SB, but it wasn't a mistake that there was a parting of the ways -- he needed to go.

Cofield is the only mistake that I can think of.

gmen0820
03-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Granted, the draft picks were regrettable, but I still think it was the right move. Eli definitely grew more as a QB without him and Tiki around.That was my logic at the time as well. Eli seemed to noticeably mature over that stretch.

I don't know, hard to say. Those Shockey threads were the craziest things, especially with the way the old board used to quote posts.

Drez
03-15-2013, 11:57 PM
That was my logic at the time as well. Eli seemed to noticeably mature over that stretch.

I don't know, hard to say. Those Shockey threads were the craziest things, especially with the way the old board used to quote posts.I was only a lurker here then, but I do remember those. Only rivaled by Eli threads.

GreenZone
03-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Nice idea of a thread, but we all have a net.

Here's the names to review and look for all the NFL teams and you can pick by year:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2010

And, Jerry Reese was named GM on Jan. 15, 2007:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2007/01/reese-named-giants-gm.html

Focus, people... ;)

Here's the full list of free agents that were signed by another team, according to kffl.com, during Jerry Reese's tenure

-------
Tim Hasselbeck
Visanthe Shianco
Luke Petitgout
Chris Claiborne
Frank Walker
Will Demps

-------
Nick Jones (who?)
Reggie Torbor
Kawika Mitchell *
Gibril Wilson

-------
Derrick Ward *
Marcus Monk
David Tyree
John Carney
Tutan Reyes
Jonas Seawright
Renaldo Wynn
Rashad Barksdale
Kevin Dockery
James Butler

--------
David Carr
Shayne Graham
Anthony Bryant
Danny Clark
Kevin Dockery
C.C. Brown

--------
Plaxico Burress
Sinorice Moss
Steve Smith
Kevin Boss
Jamon Meredith
Barry Cofield
Ayanga Okpokowuruk
Phillip Dillard
Gerris Wilkinson

-------
Darius Reynaud
Danny Ware
David Douglas
Mario Manningham
Brandon Stokley
Devin Thomas
Jake Ballard
Ra'shon Harris
Dave Tollefson
Antwaun Molden
Aaron Ross

Of course, the biggest loss, we're still reeling from today: Jonas Seawright in 2009. It was so-o-o-o big...

NYG 5
03-16-2013, 12:49 AM
i believe Will Allen was an EA release.

and Shiancoe never developed because the giants never use their tight ends in a finesse way that plays to his strengths. plus, Shockey was relatively healthy from 2004-2006

BlueSanta
03-16-2013, 03:59 AM
He plays nose in a 34 in DC. He isn't going to compile a ton of stats. His job is to eat up blockers. He's done very well in DC. If nothing else, he's done no worse there than he had been here.

Yes, he plays 34 nose and they wont make as many tackles, but his stats are still somewhat middle of the road as far as 3-4 NTs go. I am not bashing him, I just think people are under the impression he has done So well since leaving when really, he has done ok, but not great. He definitely improved at the NT position from 2011 to 2012, but he is still only average at best, and he is paid higher then several NTs who are better.

Drez
03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Yes, he plays 34 nose and they wont make as many tackles, but his stats are still somewhat middle of the road as far as 3-4 NTs go. I am not bashing him, I just think people are under the impression he has done So well since leaving when really, he has done ok, but not great. He definitely improved at the NT position from 2011 to 2012, but he is still only average at best, and he is paid higher then several NTs who are better.He wasn't much bettter than average when he was here, either. I don't think anyone thinks he's played great, but he's been a solid player for Washington. What he's getting paid isn't relevant to if he's done well since leaving.

jomo
03-16-2013, 08:48 AM
It would also be interesting to see our free agents which we chose to keep.

Redeyejedi
03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Ryan Grant is really overrated by Giants fan he was traded 1st off and id say Ward,Jacobs, and Bradshaw were all better they just didnt get 300 carries like he did. If u get 300 carries u should get 1200 yards

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Pre-Reese, but it would've been nice if Matt Bryant had spent his career here.

slipknottin
03-16-2013, 09:21 AM
I put it this way. In the past 7 or so years who are the three biggest names the giants have lost to retirement/free agency?

Tiki - we could never replace his production, right? Giants went on to win the SB the next season
Strahan - went out on a high note, the giants had one of their best regular seasons after his retirement in recent history and breezed into the playoffs
Steve smith - giants hadnt had a probowl receiver in forever, and smith nearly got the largest WR deal for any giant ever. But he walked, and the giants went on to win the SB the next season

Seems everyone no matter how good can be replaced at some level.

penguinfarmer
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
You can throw in the likes of Toomer/Plax into that abbreviated list. I'd say we have some ok receivers now, no?

Ruttiger711
03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
I put it this way. In the past 7 or so years who are the three biggest names the giants have lost to retirement/free agency?Tiki - we could never replace his production, right? Giants went on to win the SB the next seasonStrahan - went out on a high note, the giants had one of their best regular seasons after his retirement in recent history and breezed into the playoffsSteve smith - giants hadnt had a probowl receiver in forever, and smith nearly got the largest WR deal for any giant ever. But he walked, and the giants went on to win the SB the next seasonSeems everyone no matter how good can be replaced at some level.Even if you were to assume that Smith wouldn't see all the money in that deal that was offered to him, it's still probably at least 20mil overall that he walked away from. Not to mention even if he did get the same injury he would have been able to recover properly.

BigBlueAllDay
03-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Sometimes there's nothing anyone can do.

Burress - He did it to himself. No one else can be blamed for that.

Ryan Grant - Giants had Jacobs, Ward, Bradshaw, Ware. No room.

Toomer, Strahan, Barber - Basically retired after full careers on the Giants. Toomer had a very short offseason/preseason stint for the Chiefs. I wouldn't even count that. Try stopping someone from retiring from any job. lol

NYG 5
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
it seems there have only been a couple players who have been released only to never have their production replaced.

Jessie Armstead
Michael Strahan (Tuck had one complete season in 2008, has been iffy ever since)
Rich Seaubert (wasn't as much being released as having a career ending injury)
Matt Bryant, revolving door at kicker position, nobody has had the career he has had. Tynes was good though

BiteyMax22
03-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Nice idea of a thread, but we all have a net.

Here's the names to review and look for all the NFL teams and you can pick by year:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2010

And, Jerry Reese was named GM on Jan. 15, 2007:
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2007/01/reese-named-giants-gm.html

Focus, people... ;)

Here's the full list of free agents that were signed by another team, according to kffl.com, during Jerry Reese's tenure

-------
Tim Hasselbeck
Visanthe Shianco
Luke Petitgout
Chris Claiborne
Frank Walker
Will Demps

-------
Nick Jones (who?)
Reggie Torbor
Kawika Mitchell *
Gibril Wilson

-------
Derrick Ward *
Marcus Monk
David Tyree
John Carney
Tutan Reyes
Jonas Seawright
Renaldo Wynn
Rashad Barksdale
Kevin Dockery
James Butler

--------
David Carr
Shayne Graham
Anthony Bryant
Danny Clark
Kevin Dockery
C.C. Brown

--------
Plaxico Burress
Sinorice Moss
Steve Smith
Kevin Boss
Jamon Meredith
Barry Cofield
Ayanga Okpokowuruk
Phillip Dillard
Gerris Wilkinson

-------
Darius Reynaud
Danny Ware
David Douglas
Mario Manningham
Brandon Stokley
Devin Thomas
Jake Ballard
Ra'shon Harris
Dave Tollefson
Antwaun Molden
Aaron Ross

Of course, the biggest loss, we're still reeling from today: Jonas Seawright in 2009. It was so-o-o-o big...

Thank you for the list. I feel like it proves my original point. The Giants definitely have a better evaluation of their own players than the rest of the league. Having a coaching staff dedicated to developing players doesn't hurt either.

JGrans2631
03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Ross had a few good games and by few good games I mean I could probably count on one hand how many good games he had. I was a fan of Ross when we got him but he spent alot of time injured and even more times chasing recievers. I for one and not all that excited about having him back with the troubles we already have in our secondary.

JGrans2631
03-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Is anyone else excited that we finally got rid of Lawrence Tynes. I for one look forward to having a guy that can hit a FG over 45 yards and doesn't choke under pressure non stop. Had we of had a kicker who could hit a 50 yard FG we would have beat Philly and might even had made the playoffs.

slipknottin
03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Is anyone else excited that we finally got rid of Lawrence Tynes. I for one look forward to having a guy that can hit a FG over 45 yards and doesn't choke under pressure non stop. Had we of had a kicker who could hit a 50 yard FG we would have beat Philly and might even had made the playoffs.

Tynes chokes under pressure? Lol

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Cofield is probably the closest being a full starter with the Redskins and that team getting better now. Yup, but what have Kevin Boss, Aaron Ross, Derrick Ward, Dave Tollefson, Brandon Jacobs, Mario Manningham, Kawika Mitchell, Steve Smith, done so far?

U gotta let guys go when ur good, as ur players end up being more valued then on losing teams, and reese shows if anything, he knows how to meshy players together and form a "true team" , as when they stray away they do very little..

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Was Shiancoe part of the Reese era? He ended up having a few good years on the vikingsNo, oh wait, I guess he did.