PDA

View Full Version : In the end ............

jomo
03-15-2013, 03:11 PM
.....we wasted a boat load of money on Canty.

It seems like he missed half the games during his time here with an array of injuries. When healthy he was good but never a wrecking crew which we rightfully expected given the money we paid for him.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Look forward to a better season :rolleyes:

BluTri10
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I think we got our value out of him. His ferocious pass rush in the 2nd half of the 2011 season was worth it by itself. He was a beast for those last 4-5 games plus the playoffs.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM

It seems like he missed half the games during his time here with an array of injuries. When healthy he was good but never a wrecking crew which we rightfully expected given the money we paid for him.

2011 alone made it worth the money.

jomo
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Look forward to a better season :rolleyes:Thanks, I may sound a bit down with all the harping on the OL etc but I am really very excited. I think that the free agent market is setting up beautifully for us in that very few teams have cash to burn and therefore we'll be able to pluck a few surprises at modest dollars that will work for us. Go Blue!!

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I may sound a bit down with all the harping on the OL etc but I am really very excited. I think that the free agent market is setting up beautifully for us in that very few teams have cash to burn and therefore we'll be able to pluck a few surprises at modest dollars that will work for us. Go Blue!!

I am right there with you re: the OLine. That has to be addressed this season. Reese will find some short gems in FA and long term hopefuls in the draft

jomo
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
2011 alone made it worth the money.He was indeed a big part of that but $25-$30M for a half season seems like a really bad value for us. We could have had a really good CB, a top OL for that kind of money and they might have been healthy for most of their time here.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks, I may sound a bit down with all the harping on the OL etc but I am really very excited. I think that the free agent market is setting up beautifully for us in that very few teams have cash to burn and therefore we'll be able to pluck a few surprises at modest dollars that will work for us. Go Blue!!

I'm ecstatic for the draft and the new season.

I think we're in a really good position right now.

BigBlue1971
03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
he was injured a lot! we are fortunate we had capable depth in that area!

he was a factor when he played but questionable if he was worth the money we paid him imo!

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 03:20 PM
He was indeed a big part of that but $25-$30M for a half season seems like a really bad value for us. We could have had a really good CB, a top OL for that kind of money and they might have been healthy for most of their time here.

I can't cry over spilled milk and yeah it would have been nice had he been healthier during his time here.

But there are 31 other GMs who would happily spend $30M to win a SB, so I'm not bitter. I liked him when he was here and I'm ok with replacing him (and I think Jenkins is an upgrade at his spot).

jomo
03-15-2013, 03:25 PM
I can't cry over spilled milk and yeah it would have been nice had he been healthier during his time here.

But there are 31 other GMs who would happily spend $30M to win a SB, so I'm not bitter. I liked him when he was here and I'm ok with replacing him (and I think Jenkins is an upgrade at his spot).I am not bitter, just reflecting on what money buys you. Some deals are steals and some are duds. It is so randon what guys get paid relative to their contribution. Look at what Cruz makes and Bradshaw made for his first 4 years. I was first drawn to Canty when someone here posted what everyone was making on the team. I was bowled over to see that Canty was like the 4th highest player on the team after Eli, Rolle, maybe Tuck or Snee. I am kind of locked into the money part of it now because we are in full swing with free agency so my mind is focused there. I also read that Canty's new contract was like $8.5M over 3 years with a $2.8M guarantee and was also struck by how much less he'll make even though he is a young guy and relatively healthy. It's just interesting to me to watch all of this play out.

Roosevelt
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM

No doubt. The Giants have overpaid quite a few FA's which tells me we need improvement in our Pro-Personnel Dept.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
I am not bitter, just reflecting on what money buys you. Some deals are steals and some are duds. It is so randon what guys get paid relative to their contribution. Look at what Cruz makes and Bradshaw made for his first 4 years. I was first drawn to Canty when someone here posted what everyone was making on the team. I was bowled over to see that Canty was like the 4th highest player on the team after Eli, Rolle, maybe Tuck or Snee. I am kind of locked into the money part of it now because we are in full swing with free agency so my mind is focused there. I also read that Canty's new contract was like $8.5M over 3 years with a $2.8M guarantee and was also struck by how much less he'll make even though he is a young guy and relatively healthy. It's just interesting to me to watch all of this play out.

Yeah generally you end up paying more when you pay retail.

TCHOF
03-15-2013, 03:33 PM
No doubt. The Giants have overpaid quite a few FA's which tells me we need improvement in our Pro-Personnel Dept.

If you get one of the top FA's in any given year, you overpay. That's how it works.

Harooni
03-15-2013, 03:38 PM
A lot of money has been wasted on 30 somethings on the downside of their careers.

AGiantDynasty
03-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I think Canty played well for us. Was he over paid? Absolutely. But he did produce for us and did help our defense win a championship.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
A lot of money has been wasted on 30 somethings on the downside of their careers.

How old are you H? :p

gmenfan0488
03-15-2013, 03:52 PM
He was good for the stretch run in 2011, besides that, nothing too spectacular

pino
03-15-2013, 05:36 PM
He played well enough to help get us another ring. I'm at least thankful for that. It did seem like we spent a lot on him, but anytime they achieve that ultimate goal than that year's salary was worth it.

In 2012, I would say we overpaid him (and a lot of other players) because we fizzled at the end and didn't even qualify to make a playoff run.

jomo
03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
No doubt. The Giants have overpaid quite a few FA's which tells me we need improvement in our Pro-Personnel Dept.I think that everyone overpays for FA's which is why drafting well every year is so important. The overpayment for FA's seems to be taking a breather this year BTW. There are alot of guys gonna go cheap. I saw where the top 2 CB's signed for around $6M each which is a galaxy away from the $16M that Reevis wants.

egyptian420
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I think him and Rolle were our 2 biggest financial mistakes as of recent. I'm glad we let Canty go, now it's up for Rolle to walk or take a paycut, I'd prefer the latter.

JB456
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
He was indeed a big part of that but $25-$30M for a half season seems like a really bad value for us. We could have had a really good CB, a top OL for that kind of money and they might have been healthy for most of their time here.

I have to agree with Kruunch here. Canty was a significant factor in the Giants run in 2011. He played the run very well and had multiple batted balls at the line of scrimage. I would trade a bad contract for a superbowl any day of the week. Plus, he is gone now and didn't cost the team a lot in terms of dead money, did he?

jomo
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
I have to agree with Kruunch here. Canty was a significant factor in the Giants run in 2011. He played the run very well and had multiple batted balls at the line of scrimage. I would trade a bad contract for a superbowl any day of the week. Plus, he is gone now and didn't cost the team a lot in terms of dead money, did he?No I think we made a clean break more or less. I wan't fretting (see earlier post) just reflecting on how expensive some people are and how cheap others are relative to their contributions.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 05:56 PM
2011 alone made it worth the money.

This!!

jomo
03-15-2013, 06:00 PM
This!!That would be true if he was one of the main reasons we won. He'd certainly have to be behind Eli, Cruz, Nicks, probably Tuck (the rejuvenated one) and JPP. Also remember how much Ballard contributed while costing us next to nothing.

I view it as we could have had 2 really good players (maybe a CB and OL) for what we paid him and then we might have been more competitive in 2009 and 2010.