PDA

View Full Version : 4 Things We've Learned About the New York Giants QB in 2011

jakegibbs
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
1) His passer rating of 90.3 is ninth best in the NFL, but itís also a full 10 points higher than his career mark through last season (80.2). With one game left in the season, heís one pass attempt off his career high of 557 that he had in 2005 and just four off the career high of 339 completions he had a year ago.

2)Manning is tied for the league lead with five fourth-quarter comebacks this season; only San Franciscoís Alex Smith (really?) and Denverís Tim Tebow have been as successful turning deficits into wins in the final 15 minutes.

This is also the first year that Manning has been called upon to win games on his own. The running game, a staple of New York Giant football dating back to the franchiseís roots in the 1920s, has been missing in action for much of the season. Even with three 100-yard efforts in the last four games, the Giant rushing attack is still ranked 32ndódead lastóin the league.

3) Sundayís Battle of New York was not a vintage Eli Manning performance. He was just 9-for-27óby far his worst completion percentage in a game this seasonóand he was picked off once.

But Manning being off his game wasnít enough to doom the Giants to defeat, something that may not have been the case earlier in his career.

4) The baby face can be deceptive. I know I have to remind myself sometimes that Manningís not a kid anymore. Heís a 30-year-old veteran who will be making his 119th career regular-season start when the Dallas Cowboys come to MetLife Stadium on Sunday.

Among current starting quarterbacks, only Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck and Drew Brees have more experience (Peyton Manning goes back to the top of the list when heís healthy, of course).

So thereís really nothing left that Eli hasnít seen. Heís taken a team to a Super Bowl title from the No. 6 seed. Heís led a team to the top overall seed.

Is Eli Manning in a class by himself as a quarterback? No. But as Bum Phillips once observed, if heís not in a class by himself, it sure donít take long to call the roll.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/998843-eli-manning-and-the-4-things-weve-learned-about-him-in-2011#/articles/998843-eli-manning-and-the-4-things-weve-learned-about-him-in-2011/page/5

NYG 5
12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I have no real complaints with Eli. He isn't perfect, but only Kerry Collins was.

He's done very well with a very soft group of receivers and and dumbass OC who's stunted his development for however many years.

His only real fault now is that he can still get frustrated, although it takes quite a bit to get him like that, and he still gives you a heart attack when he takes off running. But he gets good marks for accuracy, decision making, makes plays off the backfoot (which is an asset now), and is accurate within the 20-30 yard range. What more do you want?

jakegibbs
12-27-2011, 03:52 PM
I have no real complaints with Eli. He isn't perfect, but only Kerry Collins was.

He's done very well with a very soft group of receivers and and dumbass OC who's stunted his development for however many years.

His only real fault now is that he can still get frustrated, although it takes quite a bit to get him like that, and he still gives you a heart attack when he takes off running. But he gets good marks for accuracy, decision making, makes plays off the backfoot (which is an asset now), and is accurate within the 20-30 yard range. What more do you want?

If they don't make wholesale coaching changes I expect next year to be even better than this year.

All the recievers should be coming into their prime years & a 31 year old 8 year veteran QB makes the sky the limit for sure.

It's turned into a passing league to air it out.

Go Big Blue