PDA

View Full Version : I need reassurance

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Recently I was posting a story on my facebook about my foray into the online dating world. When I mentioned that I had listed "Philedelphia Eagles fan" as a dealbreaker, it launched a 2-page comment thread where everyone is chewing me out over that. I need Giants fans around here that actually understand where i'm coming from regarding this to reassure me that I made the right decision...

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Recently I was posting a story on my facebook about my foray into the online dating world. When I mentioned that I had listed "Philedelphia Eagles fan" as a dealbreaker, it launched a 2-page comment thread where everyone is chewing me out over that. I need people around here that actually understand where im coming from to tell me that I made the right decision...

Honestly. I'm a huge rangers fan and a giants fan. I wouldn't care too much if the girl was an eagles fan or a devils fan.

But I can understand your reasoning. It could lead to disaster if the girl is a ***** already.

I wouldn't look into it that much.... It's your decision on who you want to be. Not being an eagles fan sheds off not that many people, so you have nothing to worry about.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Honestly. I'm a huge rangers fan and a giants fan. I wouldn't care too much if the girl was an eagles fan or a devils fan.

But I can understand your reasoning. It could lead to disaster if the girl is a ***** already.

I wouldn't look into it that much.... It's your decision on who you want to be. Not being an eagles fan sheds off not that many people, so you have nothing to worry about.

Everyone was calling me "petty" though... they don't understand what it really means to have your blood run blue.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Recently I was posting a story on my facebook about my foray into the online dating world. When I mentioned that I had listed "Philedelphia Eagles fan" as a dealbreaker, it launched a 2-page comment thread where everyone is chewing me out over that. I need Giants fans around here that actually understand where i'm coming from regarding this to reassure me that I made the right decision...

Having worked in Philthadelphia, I can assure you that you are on target.

penguinfarmer
03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
If you have a model sitting in front of you wearing an Eagles jersey, and you say no, I have every right to question your orientation. It's dating, not marriage. You have to be human before you can be a Giants fan.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Everyone was calling me "petty" though... they don't understand what it really means to have your blood run blue.

Not really. You can be considered "petty" for a lot of reasons.

Online dating is tough, you kinda have to be "petty", otherwise you'll get a large range of different people and you'll have a higher chance of meeting a whack job.

Don't listen to them. Online dating works supposedly. I always told myself I would hate to have to use it, but I wouldn't mind trying it out one day.

I'm not single though, so I really haven't gotten the chance to use it lol, but I can imagine I would add stuff like this:

Ranger fan
Loves to read books,

etc.

mikeq6722
03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Cant help ya there. I hate the Patriots almost as much as I hate the rest of our division, but I live in Boston so if I ruled out dating Pats fans id be in trouble haha.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:12 PM
If you have a model sitting in front of you wearing an Eagles jersey, and you say no, I have every right to question your orientation. It's dating, not marriage. You have to be human before you can be a Giants fan.

This too. I wouldn't look into it that much. DOn't bring it up during the date though, and make sure she's not that crazy where she'd stab you or something for talking bad about the Eagles.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 05:14 PM
If you're looking for a women on-line, you probably shouldn't worry about what football team she roots for.

penguinfarmer
03-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Didn't you go to NJIT? It was as evenly dispersed between Giants, Jets and Eagles fans as it gets.

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Honestly, I don't think football should be influencing your life decisions. You're denying yourself opportunities for the sake of fan loyalty.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Should we be screening applicants for that????

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:16 PM
If you're looking for a women on-line, you probably shouldn't worry about what football team she roots for.

Are you trying to prove the point that you are desperate if you are looking for women online?

That's unfair judgement. That's not true at all. People, as they get older, just have a hard time finding friends who are single and going out and meeting people.

Dating world isn't as easy it used to be I believe. Lots of women are working these days and are pretty occupied themselves.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Honestly, I don't think football should be influencing your life decisions. You're denying yourself opportunities for the sake of fan loyalty.

If I don't stick to my principles, what is left? Being a Giants fan got me through a very hard time in my life in early 2012... no job, no love, and family starting to distance themselves from me because of the lack of job. Then I was forced to go to my cousin's wedding (which was a very overdone affair if you ask me)... the only good thing in my life was the Giants rising up from 7-7 to SB champions...

Didn't you go to NJIT? It was as evenly dispersed between Giants, Jets and Eagles fans as it gets.

Yes, but it was also a total sausage fest. 80% male when I was there, even worse now. So it's not like I was really looking for love there, rather an education.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Yes, but it was also a total sausage fest. 80% male when I was there, even worse now. So it's not like I was really looking for love there, rather an education.

And good for you. That's exactly what you should have been doing.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Are you trying to prove the point that you are desperate if you are looking for women online?

That's unfair judgement. That's not true at all. People, as they get older, just have a hard time finding friends who are single and going out and meeting people.

Dating world isn't as easy it used to be I believe. Lots of women are working these days and are pretty occupied themselves.

Nah, not really, just that if you're lucky enough to actually find a good one on-line, you shouldn't let something as trivial as a sports team get in the way.

My wife is a Yankee fan, and I hate the Yankees with a passion. But she is beautiful, smart, and an all around good girl. Why would I let such a minor "flaw" get in the way.

Don't be silly and avoid a girl because of who she roots for, because in the game of "real life", football means nothing...

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
If I don't stick to my principles, what is left? Being a Giants fan got me through a very hard time in my life in early 2012... no job, no love, and family starting to distance themselves from me because of the lack of job. Then I was forced to go to my cousin's wedding (which was a very overdone affair if you ask me)... the only good thing in my life was the Giants rising up from 7-7 to SB champions...

You're seeking advice here for your love life does call your IQ into some question :rolleyes:

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Nah, not really, just that if you're lucky enough to actually find a good one on-line, you shouldn't let something as trivial as a sports team get in the way.

My wife is a Yankee fan, and I hate the Yankees with a passion. But she is beautiful, smart, and an all around good girl. Why would I let such a minor "flaw" get in the way.

Don't be silly and avoice a girl because of who she roots for, because in the game of "real life", football means nothing...

Gotcha. Good points. I agree wholeheartedly.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:24 PM
You're seeking advice here for your love life does call your IQ into some question :rolleyes:

IQ doesn't test for intelligence. It's the truth.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Don't be silly and avoid a girl because of who she roots for, because in the game of "real life", football means nothing...

And if you permanently super-fail at real life like I do (hell, i'm doing online dating after all), football is all you have... or whatever sport, tv show, or what have you. My drug of choice is Big Blue...

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 05:27 PM
And if you permanently super-fail at real life like I do (hell, i'm doing online dating after all), football is all you have... or whatever sport, tv show, or what have you. My drug of choice is Big Blue...

Don't be so hard on yourself

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:27 PM

Don't act like online dating is a bad thing. It's more commonly used these days than ever before.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:31 PM
I agree that there are people that use online dating that could do perfectly fine without it. But I can't find love online or off...

As for said match that triggered all this discussion, she ended up summarily closing the match anyway, so that point is moot. Lots of folks do that for whatever reason... but it wasn't supposed to be the focus of what I was saying. The focus was meant to be that I have a hard time even seeing Eagles fans as anything more than the faceless horde that you see in the Linc on sundays (that's how blue i get), and that's apparently petty or some kind of personality disorder to anyone that's not a Giants fan (even to some that are fans)...

JB456
03-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Tell tell you the truth, the people who post on this board are more likely to be bigger fans than your average Giants fan so I see where you are comming from. To be honest, most woman don't really give a shat about sports in general and while they might identify themselves as "fans", since they were brought up in a family that came from the region, they genuinely don't really care what happens to the teams they are "fans' of.

With all that being said, you should should tell people to mind their own business. Perhaps you could say that you are a big fan of the Giants and it would be nice to go to games and share that and other interests with someone you want to be with.

To the average person or low level sports enthusiast, this could come off as petty. This comment might even scare away women who are Giants fans because to most woman, sports really aren't that big of a deal. If you retailor your message to say BIG GIANTS FAN instead of Eagles fans as a deal breaker would get your message accross in a more subtle way. Women would are Big Eagle fans wouldn't contact you and in the rareity that an Eagle fan does contact you, she probably is just a casual fan that could even turn.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I agree that there are people that use online dating that could do perfectly fine without it. But I can't find love online or off...

As for said match that triggered all this discussion, she ended up summarily closing the match anyway, so that point is moot. Lots of folks do that for whatever reason... but it wasn't supposed to be the focus of what I was saying. The focus was meant to be that I have a hard time even seeing Eagles fans as anything more than the faceless horde that you see in the Linc on sundays (that's how blue i get), and that's apparently petty or some kind of personality disorder to anyone that's not a Giants fan (even to some that are fans)...

Well, do you have a reasoning for that? You have to realize that like Giant fans, every Eagle fans have different personalities.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Is it just some ****ed up form of racism I have or something?

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Is it just some ****ed up form of racism I have or something?

You can actually compare lol... you just have to really realize they all have different personalities. That's all.

Jerky33
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Answer this question:

Would you rather root for the giants married to someone you love who happens to like the Eagles, or root for the Giants and be alone?

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Answer this question:

Would you rather root for the giants married to someone you love who happens to like the Eagles, or root for the Giants and be alone?

Depends on how suicidal I feel... if that threshold is high enough, I could deal with possibly being shivved by her friends...

egyptian420
03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
I would definitely not let that get in the way. Not sure about the online dating world, but one girl I knew who was an Eagles fan was a really good person and I liked hanging out with her. We weren't dating or anything I just knew her from church but she was tottally cool. Her being an Eagles fan was actually an icebreaker because I'd just make fun of her non stop about it and we'd kid around about that all the time.

I wouldn't let something like that get in the way. Now politics and religion are definitely tricky to get around because they are so integral as to your character that you would probably have a very hard time getting with someone who has a tottaly different life perspective than you do.

pino
03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
If the chick is a die hard Eagles fan, I think that would be a deal breaker for me too, haha! I can't stand seeing those cars with an NY decal on one side of the window, and another team decal on the other side. SMH

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:43 PM
If the chick is a die hard Eagles fan, I think that would be a deal breaker for me too, haha! I can't stand seeing those cars with an NY decal on one side of the window, and another team decal on the other side. SMH

Or any team decal at all for that matter

jomo
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Recently I was posting a story on my facebook about my foray into the online dating world. When I mentioned that I had listed "Philedelphia Eagles fan" as a dealbreaker, it launched a 2-page comment thread where everyone is chewing me out over that. I need Giants fans around here that actually understand where i'm coming from regarding this to reassure me that I made the right decision...You absolutely made the right decision brother. There is no reasoning with iggles fans. You are entitled to peace and some joy on week-ends. Living with an iggle fan severely limits your chance at that. I think the over the top, irrational reaction you received should be confirmation enough that you made the obvious and proper decision.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
I see this is as dumb anyway. It's just one of your restrictions. I wouldn't date a girl who curses a lot. I honestly think I would put that on my online dating service if I ever used it.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
You absolutely made the right decision brother. There is no reasoning with iggles fans. You are entitled to peace and some joy on week-ends. Living with an iggle fan severely limits your chance at that. I think the over the top, irrational reaction you received should be confirmation enough that you made the obvious and proper decision.

The reaction wasn't from the person on the dating site, it was from friends on facebook...

jomo
03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Answer this question:

Would you rather root for the giants married to someone you love who happens to like the Eagles, or root for the Giants and be alone?False choice, nice try.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:46 PM
You absolutely made the right decision brother. There is no reasoning with iggles fans. You are entitled to peace and some joy on week-ends. Living with an iggle fan severely limits your chance at that. I think the over the top, irrational reaction you received should be confirmation enough that you made the obvious and proper decision.

I would laugh if you were trying to online date, and no one wanted you becausde you were a giants fan. Wonder how you'd feel then!

yo-ho
03-15-2013, 05:46 PM
All I have to say is that if your girl is a Philly, Dallas or Redskins fan then you stand the risk of her being pissed off at you on may Sundays and probably the follow on Mondays when we year after year display that we Giants fans are the class of the division.

nuff said.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
All I have to say is that if your girl is a Philly, Dallas or Redskins fan then you stand the risk of her being pissed off at you on may Sundays and probably the follow on Mondays when we year after year display that we Giants fans are the class of the division.

nuff said.

There aren't many die-hard girl fans anyway... are there? I mean, not to sound sexist, but the gender gap is WIDE.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:50 PM

nuff said.

To be honest that's part of what my issue is. That means there's 2 days every year where there is pretty much guaranteed to be drama. I don't like drama in my interpersonal relationships. I realize it will happen eventually, but I like to minimize it.

I know that there are a lot of women out there that aren't nearly as die-hard as men, but that doesn't mean they're not fans. I was screaming for joy when Cruz scored that TD at the end of the skins game. My mother is a skins fan. You put two and two together...

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:50 PM
To be honest that's part of what my issue is. That means there's 2 days every year where there is pretty much guaranteed to be drama. I don't like drama in my interpersonal relationships. I realize it will happen eventually, but I like to minimize it.

If a football game on a Sunday creates that drama, you guys weren't meant to be in the first place.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
If a football game on a Sunday creates that drama, you guys weren't meant to be in the first place.

Then it basically means I wasn't meant to be with a LOT of people, given how terrible I feel when the Giants lose a game...

jomo
03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
The reaction wasn't from the person on the dating site, it was from friends on facebook...There are millions of women to choose from, why put yourself in harms way with one that roots for the iggles? I am sure that many could be OK but you've got a much better chance of meeting a delightful Giants, Steeler or Packers fan who for the most part don't wake up angry looking for an argument. I spent 4 years in college with Pittsburgh women and Philly women and the Pittsburgh pool was alot more fun to swim in. In 30 years since college I haven't seen the behavior of the Philadelphia species change one bit. I'm not saying it's not possible to find a nice one, just that your chance for happiness and peace on Sundays are greater elsewhere.

Moke
03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Then it basically means I wasn't meant to be with a LOT of people, given how terrible I feel when the Giants lose a game...

Well, I doubt any normal girl would be like IN YOUR FACE ****ING LOSER!!!!

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-15-2013, 05:56 PM

to miss out on the possible love of your life because she is an eagles fan is, well, not very smart. if anything it would keep the relationship fun and you could always reference the giants 4 super bowl trophies or the eagles lack of. I am a hard core yankees fan as well, when to college in new england and dated a red sox fan for 3 years. she was feisty and always made the rivalry fun.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 05:59 PM
to miss out on the possible love of your life because she is an eagles fan is, well, not very smart. if anything it would keep the relationship fun and you could always reference the giants 4 super bowl trophies or the eagles lack of. I am a hard core yankees fan as well, when to college in new england and dated a red sox fan for 3 years. she was feisty and always made the rivalry fun.

Tact is not something I do well... I'd be more likely to outright offend someone if i tried to make fun of them.

jomo
03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Tact is not something I do well... I'd be more likely to outright offend someone if i tried to make fun of them.Don't forget that Eagles chicks often have brothers...........ugh.

BJacobs aka The Problem
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
First, off dude, it's your choice. If you don't want to date a chick that likes the Eagles then you don't have to. Same with any other thing you'd like or wouldn't like about a girl. I mean seriously? Are you going to let a bunch of people tell you what you should be looking for in a woman? Next thing you know they're giving you crap and calling you shallow because you don't want to date a fat chick or somethin. Not sayin that there's anything with fat chicks, but some guys just don't prefer them and it's their choice.

Either way, any person who ridicules you for not wanting a woman who has a certain like, dislike, personality trait or physical feature is just being a pretentious feminine cleaning product item.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Tact is not something I do well... I'd be more likely to outright offend someone if i tried to make fun of them.

baby steps, Toad, baby steps.

TheEnigma
03-15-2013, 06:18 PM
If you are seriously convinced that you can't get over a potential mate being an Eagles fan, then it really isn't all that silly when it comes to your personal happiness. From the way you describe it, it could lead you to get into a few silly arguments that could get really heated and create friction between the two of you. Most sports fans (as in the casual fans) don't know too much so if you are worried about a serious sports debate, you could probably own her. Love is a personal manner that I find you have to figure out yourself so most answers that you seek will be discovered in time.

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Muse over the potential for positive outcomes rather than negative. New experiences help people grow.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Don't forget that Eagles chicks often have brothers...........ugh.

Not to mention their family trees don't have branches

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Not to mention their family trees don't have branches

or rings.

Rudyy
03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
or rings.or souls.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM
or souls.

You've been there I see

Rudyy
03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
You've been there I seeInsult!

jomo
03-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Not to mention their family trees don't have branches,,,,,,,,,,,or teeth lol. Thanks for teeing that one up RF!

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Insult!

No way, meant you KNOW

AllHailEli
03-15-2013, 09:37 PM

How about you post your story here? LOL! As long as you will be strong enough not to switch alliance, I see no reason why you can't date an Eagles fan. If you get henpecked though, it will be over. It would suck to console her and not gloat when the Giants are blowing the Eagles out.

Mercury
03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
First of all, Eagles fans are fat and ugly! Do you want to date fat and ugly?

Secondly, if by some chance you meet an Eagles chick that isn't fat and ugly, wouldn't it be a great ice breaker to argue with her over her choice of team? You could say, "Let's make a bet. If my team wins, you have to have sex with me, and if your team wins, I have to have sex with you!"

Thirdly, not going to happen because Eagles fans are fat and ugly!

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
First of all, Eagles fans are fat and ugly! Do you want to date fat and ugly?

Secondly, if by some chance you meet an Eagles chick that isn't fat and ugly, wouldn't it be a great ice breaker to argue with her over her choice of team? You could say, "Let's make a bet. If my team wins, you have to have sex with me, and if your team wins, I have to have sex with you!"

Thirdly, not going to happen because Eagles fans are fat and ugly!

I've seen eagles fans of all shapes and sizes. The only consistent factor is that you put a bunch of them together and it's called a Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy...

gmen46
03-15-2013, 10:55 PM

First. As I've learned the hard way through many years of experience: always trust your first instinct (unless you have a lifetime of having ****ty instincts, in which case I don't know what to tell you). Never let others talk you out of it. There can be exceptions on occasion, but not in the "affairs of the heart"

Besides, one of the so called advantages of meeting online is to save some time and energy by weeding out those with characteristics that don't appeal to you, isn't it? Since being an avid Giants fan is important to you--and since an axiom to that is being an avid Eagles hater--then why not put that restriction out there? It's called being upfront about an important part of your life.

If you encounter someone who admits to being a casual (ie, family tradition or the like) Eagles fan but is not insane about it and would not hold your fandom against you, then you might want to consider it (if everything else about her seems to be up your alley).

Those that are calling you petty are not dating candidates (for a myriad of reasons, I'm assuming), so ignore them or give them a "thanks for your interest" blow off.

Besides, how is your request any more petty than sitting in a "meat market" bar or any other social gathering and choosing which girl/woman to approach based upon her looks?

Because internet dating wasn't even a germ of an idea when I was last "in the market", I've not used any online service. But a good friend of mine met his eventual wife via one of them, and 9 years later they are happily married with their first newborn.

So, happy searching.

B&RWarrior
03-15-2013, 11:33 PM
It's just a game. I will not let football dictate what women I date. Seriously, how many of you guys would blow Halle Berry off if she was in your bed with a thong with an Eagles emblem on the front? To keep things in perspective I couldn't live without women, however life will go on without football.

DJStoney69
03-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Your not wrong to have posted that. I've met a few that were eagles fans and they fit the personality profile to a "T". Delusional mostly. After this one I met and ended it she was sending me pictures where she wrote NY Giants across her chest as a way to get me back. So after that I came up with a no eagles fan motto. And before anyone asks no I don't have the pics any more. There is just one eagles fan I met I can bust her chops and its cool. I turned to online dating cause in my line of work there are very few women and to me picking up a drunk chick isn't exactly my idea of marriage material, a night of fun yeah but marriage no.

gmen0820
03-15-2013, 11:38 PM
If she's hot, and somewhat intelligible, it shouldn't break the deal. Chances are, 363 days a year, you won't even notice she's an Eagles fan.

tcseacliff
03-16-2013, 12:40 AM
same with political affiliations. not a dating deal breaker, but since quality dates are hard to come by online, why muck it up trash talking each other's teams. better to date someone who is like you, and trash the OTHER teams all night! LOL!

tcseacliff
03-16-2013, 12:44 AM
If she's hot, and somewhat intelligible, it shouldn't break the deal. Chances are, 363 days a year, you won't even notice she's an Eagles fan.

not always . My daughter is a Jets fan:confused: ( where did i go wrong!)(insert faceplant!) she is very noticeable, even in the off season!

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 01:26 AM
I think you made the right choice. I googled female Eagle fans and cam up with this.

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 01:35 AM
And this...... man i'm not shallow or nothing but man!

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Whoa.....611

BlueSanta
03-16-2013, 02:35 AM
So you would actually date a Cowboys fan then?

I am gonna have to check with the mods, but that might be a bannable offense.

gmen46
03-16-2013, 03:05 AM
It's just a game. I will not let football dictate what women I date. Seriously, how many of you guys would blow Halle Berry off if she was in your bed with a thong with an Eagles emblem on the front? To keep things in perspective I couldn't live without women, however life will go on without football.

Like you're going to hook up with Halle Berry on an online dating site.

Talk about keeping things in perspective.

Moke
03-16-2013, 03:07 AM
This thread >

tcseacliff
03-16-2013, 01:24 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4tk9BL5XmBdqtLxV79PmxKB-8M6hrHyjo2nf5XvNLPfsqWG-PKg

fansince69
03-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I would never consider anyone that doesnt root for the giants or the yankees...I have been involved with several women that do not care....that i can accept....but for her to openly root against my team.....would drive me absolutly nuts.....its the reason I will not watch my team in a bar or with other people that arent fans....she would be asked to leave in a hurry....yes your point is valid and anyone on this board that doesnt get that.... is not truly a fan