PDA

View Full Version : Cut Deihl, Restructure....Here's AThought...

ImElectric2
03-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Everyone is complaining about how he's still on the roster and taking up CAP, but maybe there's a good reason. How come no one has considered that Reese is using his salary on the books as a negotiating tactic? Hes already cleared enough money to make moves and resign people at our price. So like, we got a good deal with Beatty cuz Reese can just say "Hey, here's my CAP....what do you want? We need Diehl as a RT...". Same with Phillips, Bennett, Cruz, and Boothe. Granted we lost 2 of them, but why is it good to release Diehl and give Bennett $5mil/season? It puts you in position to over pay for a guy and/or weaken your stance. If you don't have the money then stats and such can't be argued and it comes down to playing in NY and as a Giant with your buddies. It's just a thought but seems like a reasonable thought process for a GM trying to manage the CAP. And then in the end Diehl is going to be released anyway we don't over pay for anyone and the money is freed when we need it. What do you guys think?

hugehomer
03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
We dont overpay anyone. Beside Diehl,. Snee, Rolle and Tuck are overpaid.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Diehl is insurance for Boothe, has nothing to do with Bennett or anyone else you mentioned.

ImElectric2
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Right. But the point is Diehls salary becomes a barganing tool for Reese in achieving that end.

ImElectric2
03-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Diehl is insurance for Boothe, has nothing to do with Bennett or anyone else you mentioned.He does if you consider his salary a bargaining tool.

What's the point of cutting him and having an agent know you have money to spend when you can just say "look, the money isnt there..."?

Cloud57
03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
So what you're saying is that Dieh isn't completely useless after all?

Sovereign
03-16-2013, 03:05 AM
CUT.

miked1958
03-16-2013, 05:50 AM
We dont overpay anyone. Beside Diehl,. Snee, Rolle and Tuck are overpaid.yes snee, Rolle and tuck all need to take pay cuts

miked1958
03-16-2013, 05:51 AM
They all scream for Huge Raises when they have stellar Seasons.. So it should go both ways.. If you stink it up like those 3 did last season then they should have to take pay reductions based on performance

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 06:35 AM
We dont overpay anyone. Beside Diehl,. Snee, Rolle and Tuck are overpaid.

We don't consdier them overpaid when they enter the agreements

Rat_bastich
03-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I think if....and thats a big if...the Giants do cut Diehl it would probably be in camp after they see what they have as a replacement.

jomo
03-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Everyone is complaining about how he's still on the roster and taking up CAP, but maybe there's a good reason. How come no one has considered that Reese is using his salary on the books as a negotiating tactic? Hes already cleared enough money to make moves and resign people at our price. So like, we got a good deal with Beatty cuz Reese can just say "Hey, here's my CAP....what do you want? We need Diehl as a RT...". Same with Phillips, Bennett, Cruz, and Boothe. Granted we lost 2 of them, but why is it good to release Diehl and give Bennett $5mil/season? It puts you in position to over pay for a guy and/or weaken your stance. If you don't have the money then stats and such can't be argued and it comes down to playing in NY and as a Giant with your buddies. It's just a thought but seems like a reasonable thought process for a GM trying to manage the CAP. And then in the end Diehl is going to be released anyway we don't over pay for anyone and the money is freed when we need it. What do you guys think?It is a good thought and it crossed my mind when Phillips didn't re-sign. I would think that the better agents would blow through that tactic for the best players in essesnce saying "hey Jerry, you don't have a cap problem, just cut Diehl and pay my guy what he's worth." Agents a pretty shrewd and blunt. Still as this off season plays out JR does seem to be generating the cap space he needs to sign the players he wants.

Here's another possibility. Why cut him until you have to? Why not wait to see who you're likely to have at RT before cutting ties with a known quantity. We don't lose the ability to cut him or renegotiate so why waste time now with an inconseqential deal that is better used elsewhere?

Redeyejedi
03-16-2013, 07:29 AM
We dont overpay anyone. Beside Diehl,. Snee, Rolle and Tuck are overpaid. Diehl,Snee and Tuck were not overpaid when they got their contracts. Tuck was an All Pro DE who was paid 7 mil a season thats a damn good deal. Diehl was a LT that got paid 5 mil a season another good contract. Snee was considered the best RG in the game for years and is still relatively young for an OLman.
Rolle was always overpaid he never deserved the contract he got. Rolle was also a top ticket FA when everyone is overpaid.Still half the board members cry that the Giants arent overpaying those players this season even though almost everyone of those contracts u never get dollar to dollar value

jomo
03-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Diehl,Snee and Tuck were not overpaid when they got their contracts. Tuck was an All Pro DE who was paid 7 mil a season thats a damn good deal. Diehl was a LT that got paid 5 mil a season another good contract. Snee was considered the best RG in the game for years and is still relatively young for an OLman.
Rolle was always overpaid he never deserved the contract he got. Rolle was also a top ticket FA when everyone is overpaid.Still half the board members cry that the Giants arent overpaying those players this season even though almost everyone of those contracts u never get dollar to dollar valueRolle was also overpaid becasue we were coming out of the CC Brown, Rouse, safety debacle year and JR had to fix that mess at all costs. It is very unusual for us to have our backs against the wall like that.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Diehl is insurance for Boothe, has nothing to do with Bennett or anyone else you mentioned.

Diehl is our RT.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Rolle was also overpaid becasue we were coming out of the CC Brown, Rouse, safety debacle year and JR had to fix that mess at all costs. It is very unusual for us to have our backs against the wall like that.

Any time you sign one of the top FA's out there, you overpay. That's unavoidable. Look at some of the contracts that the top FA's got this year . . . they're just silly.

Captain Chaos
03-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Isn't that a little Machiavellian for this group. Besides the way we've seen Reese gain leverage in the past is by letting the player test the FA market and let them set the price, if its too steep for what he can afford he'll let them walk ala KP and Boothe...

tonyt830
03-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Diehl is our RT.But I think what he means is that with Diehl's versatility, he can play LG if we lost Boothe in FA. Maybe the front office is planning on Brewer, Locklear(if healthy enough) and/or Mosley to fight it out at RT?

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
But I think what he means is that with Diehl's versatility, he can play LG if we lost Boothe in FA. Maybe the front office is planning on Brewer, Locklear(if healthy enough) and/or Mosley to fight it out at RT?

I know. Just pointing out that everyone wants Diehl cut immediately, but as of now he is our starting RT. Locklear is injured and Brewer hasn't beaten out Diehl yet (and from what we've seen so far from him, I'm not sure that he ever will).

To me, keeping Diehl around speaks volumes about the team's confidence in Brewer being able to handle the starting RT job.

mercurio
03-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Not counting what we gave Ross, Mundy & Murphy, we are still 8.5 mil under the cap using the top 51 rule. Granted we need to straighten that out later, but we don't have to make cuts/restructures now.

ImElectric2
03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
It is a good thought and it crossed my mind when Phillips didn't re-sign. I would think that the better agents would blow through that tactic for the best players in essesnce saying "hey Jerry, you don't have a cap problem, just cut Diehl and pay my guy what he's worth." Agents a pretty shrewd and blunt. Still as this off season plays out JR does seem to be generating the cap space he needs to sign the players he wants.Here's another possibility. Why cut him until you have to? Why not wait to see who you're likely to have at RT before cutting ties with a known quantity. We don't lose the ability to cut him or renegotiate so why waste time now with an inconseqential deal that is better used elsewhere?But even if an agent does say that Reese can say "when you find me a guy who's started and won 2 super bowls at LT in this system ill cut him, until then we need him." I dunno, there's obviously a multitude of reasons why things can or could be or are happening, this just seems kinda logical....especially if Reese is thinking OT in Round 1. Then you can cut Diehl after the draft and have space available for June cuts and others who may be good but didn't get the attention or dollar figures they anticipated.

ImElectric2
03-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Isn't that a little Machiavellian for this group. Besides the way we've seen Reese gain leverage in the past is by letting the player test the FA market and let them set the price, if its too steep for what he can afford he'll let them walk ala KP and Boothe...Haha, based on some responses I suppose the board wasn't ready for this type of thinking. One day....I suppose Im just ahead of the curve. The world is round AND revolves around the Sun!!!