PDA

View Full Version : Think Cruz will sign over the weekend? YAY ANOTHER CRUZ THREAD!

NYG4lifeNYK
03-15-2013, 10:47 PM
I know, sue me.

Do we think Cruz will sign over the weekend now that this 5 day no sign rule is out of effect or are we still waiting to free up money? Is there even still a rush? I'd think we want him resigned as quickly as possible since he's still dangling on a string on the market... even if that market comes with a 1st round tender and a new contract :)

Cloud57
03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I know, sue meI'm calling my lawyer

GentleGiant
03-15-2013, 11:02 PM
MOM! THEY'RE DOING CRUZ THREADS AGAIN!

CruznNicks
03-15-2013, 11:24 PM
I know, sue me.Do we think Cruz will sign over the weekend now that this 5 day no sign rule is out of effect or are we still waiting to free up money? Is there even still a rush? I'd think we want him resigned as quickly as possible since he's still dangling on a string on the market... even if that market comes with a 1st round tender and a new contract :)They still may. Under the new CBA if a team waits until 48 hours (or less) before the draft to formally present a RFA's current team with the offer sheet (and they decline to match it), the draft pick compensation doesn't change hands until the next year.So it's possible that a team can reach an agreement in principle with Cruz, but would rather give up next year's 1st believing that his addition coupled with who they select in the 1st rd this year will translate into more wins and thus have them picking later in the round next year, making that pick of lesser value than this year's 1st.

tcseacliff
03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
I couldn't click fast enough to read this thread ! NOT! (I do hope we keep him, though) to blast by KP!

miked1958
03-15-2013, 11:28 PM
They still may. Under the new CBA if a team waits until 48 hours (or less) before the draft to formally present a RFA's current team with the offer sheet (and they decline to match it), the draft pick compensation doesn't change hands until the next year.So it's possible that a team can reach an agreement in principle with Cruz, but would rather give up next year's 1st believing that his addition coupled with who they select in the 1st rd this year will translate into more wins and thus have them picking later in the round next year, making that pick of lesser value than this year's 1st.hmm interesting. Lets hope the giants can get something done soon as possible then.

blueribbon
03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
He'll sign his tender and become a UFA next year. Hopefully they'll renegotiate and sign a new deal before the end of this upcomming season.

Drez
03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
It would be nice.

Drez
03-15-2013, 11:42 PM
They still may. Under the new CBA if a team waits until 48 hours (or less) before the draft to formally present a RFA's current team with the offer sheet (and they decline to match it), the draft pick compensation doesn't change hands until the next year.So it's possible that a team can reach an agreement in principle with Cruz, but would rather give up next year's 1st believing that his addition coupled with who they select in the 1st rd this year will translate into more wins and thus have them picking later in the round next year, making that pick of lesser value than this year's 1st.Doesn't matter this year. Offers have to come in by 4-19, the draft is 4-25.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-16-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm calling my lawyer

MOM! THEY'RE DOING CRUZ THREADS AGAIN!

LOL this made me burst out laughing... thanks for that GentleGiant

StrahanSoup92
03-16-2013, 12:28 AM
No, I think from a business standpoint the option for the Giants FO is clear. Ride it out. If he is offered anything that we are willing to match we match, if not, we let him play next season and if he stays relatively healthy and productive, we resign him before FA.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-16-2013, 12:32 AM
No, I think from a business standpoint the option for the Giants FO is clear. Ride it out. If he is offered anything that we are willing to match we match, if not, we let him play next season and if he stays relatively healthy and productive, we resign him before FA.
That's the dumbest thing we could do. The longer we hold out on Cruz the less likely he will want to return. We owe him a contract this season. He earned it.

Guarantee you if we don't lock him up now he walks next free agency.

Harooni
03-16-2013, 12:32 AM
he is signing his tender, and a team will give up a late first rounder for him I think.

Drez
03-16-2013, 12:51 AM
he is signing his tender, and a team will give up a late first rounder for him I think.I doubt it. At this point there's really only one team that might​ offer him a contract, and that's STL.

Rat_bastich
03-16-2013, 01:00 AM
While Cruz may be a known commodity, I'm not sure anyone would be willing to give up a first round pick for him, especially with the rookie cap now in place. I think the Giants will have him locked up for awhile and probably pretty soon. Most likely, both sides are just waiting for the time to pass where they can sign the dotted line. I would not be surprised to see something announced almost immediately after both parties are allowed to do something.

TheShouldersOf
03-16-2013, 01:37 AM
I don't believe many teams view him as first round talent, or at least talent enough to warrant a first round pick,

StrahanSoup92
03-16-2013, 02:45 AM
That's the dumbest thing we could do. The longer we hold out on Cruz the less likely he will want to return. We owe him a contract this season. He earned it.

Guarantee you if we don't lock him up now he walks next free agency.

I hope your wrong and Cruz still signs with us after this season. But its looking like this is exactly what the Giants are going to do. They did it with Osi.

Having said that I completely agree with you, he deserves a contract now and should get it done immediately, but from a business standpoint, I think the Giants will holdout.

StrahanSoup92
03-16-2013, 02:47 AM
I don't believe many teams view him as first round talent, or at least talent enough to warrant a first round pick,

Hes the best slot receiver in football, he really is. I think some teams are at least thinking about it. However, I dont see him getting offered a deal that we cant match. So its win win right now for the Giants, they can wait.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Cruz can't sign this weekend. He won't technically have an agent until today or tomorrow and then he has to wait three days to sign a contract.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 05:36 AM
They still may. Under the new CBA if a team waits until 48 hours (or less) before the draft to formally present a RFA's current team with the offer sheet (and they decline to match it), the draft pick compensation doesn't change hands until the next year.So it's possible that a team can reach an agreement in principle with Cruz, but would rather give up next year's 1st believing that his addition coupled with who they select in the 1st rd this year will translate into more wins and thus have them picking later in the round next year, making that pick of lesser value than this year's 1st.

Cruz would have to sign an offer sheet from a team other than the Giants by June 17th.

bigjeep
03-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Cruz would have to sign an offer sheet from a team other than the Giants by June 17th.

Giant fans better face up to the fact that Cruz is as good as gone. Even if the Number one pick keeps him a Giant for one more season, he's going to be upset playing for "peanuts" again and we might be better off with the number one pick.

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 08:16 AM
If you'd like another speculative opinion piece to sweat over, the Colts are working on a deal to acquire a receiver:

On Saturday night, Irsay said that his team, which has been very active so far in free agency, is “working on a deal, one we’ve been working on for five days,” and that “we’re very, very close to making it work.”

Later, Irsay narrowed the range of potential guesses to one position: “Wide receiver!!“

But there aren’t many free-agent receivers with names justifying the use of two exclamation points. Darrius Heyward-Bey was cut on Tuesday, and Randy Moss still has some caché, baby.

That leaves restricted free agents, where Giants receiver Victor Cruz and Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders are the top targets. But with Irsay saying that the Colts have been working on the deal for five days and given that Cruz’s agent change delayed prevent CAA from talking contract during the five-day waiting period, it’s probably not Cruz.

Unless, of course, the Colts were spending the first part of the past five days coming up with an offer- sheet strategy with a 2013 cap number that would prevent the Giants from matching.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/17/irsay-drops-another-hint/

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Giant fans better face up to the fact that Cruz is as good as gone. Even if the Number one pick keeps him a Giant for one more season, he's going to be upset playing for "peanuts" again and we might be better off with the number one pick.

That's just silly. He didn't change agents to keep doing what they were doing. He will be signed to a long term deal before UFA comes around, probably before June 17th.

Dabluguy
03-17-2013, 09:49 AM
I hope he signs soon. I will be very heart broken if he don't sign.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:50 AM
I hope he signs soon. I will be very heart broken if he don't sign.

Chin up

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Weekends don't count in the 5 days - it's business days. So, nothing today.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Dumerville just signed with Condon after his fiasco with Denver