PDA

View Full Version : Minn or Stl not expected to match offer sheet of VC

NYGfanNC
03-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter)With Greg Jennings in MINN, neither team with double first-round picks - Rams nor Vikes - is expected to sign Victor Cruz to an offer sheet.

Now let's sign the man so I can sleep.

Ruttiger711
03-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Have the browns ever been brought up? I just wonder because they are tons under the cap last I checked.

sethm
03-16-2013, 09:56 AM
I love VC but I wouldn't expect a contract before training camp. VC is a standup guy and the Giants prolly feel confident that he will not pull an Osi and hold out. That said I would love the Giants to prove me wrong and sign him to a long term contract

Greatone80
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
This whole thing s*cks.i hate the fact i keep checking my phone for updates and jump when the stupid espn app goes off.I know i got some encouraging tweets from some reporters saying cruz is going anywhere,but i want wriiten prof lol. i hope a deal is done and not going to cripple us.With nicks a free agent next year,money is going to be a problem.We still need a TE,some corner help and linebackers bigtime. i like cruz,i really do but dont want to break the bank on him.Those 'megatron' deals scare me.
With cruz's new agent,hope something can be worked out.Even with all the Giants stuff going on with osi,and cruz,i rather be a giants fan then a jets day anyday of the week.

miked1958
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
If no one signs him to an Offer sheet then the ball is thrown back into Victors Court to sign his Tender and play for the 2.8 Million or Holdout. As said I think he would sign it. However it would be smart on the Giants part to not let this go to far into the 2013 Season before they lock him up. The last thing they need is to have both Nicks and Cruz as UFAs at the end of this upcoming season. The Longer the Giants make him wait the more bitter he may become and want to test UFA. I say let him sign it (tender) but then get him under a longterm deal ASAP

NorwoodBlue
03-16-2013, 11:47 AM
If no one signs him to an Offer sheet then the ball is thrown back into Victors Court to sign his Tender and play for the 2.8 Million or Holdout. As said I think he would sign it. However it would be smart on the Giants part to not let this go to far into the 2013 Season before they lock him up. The last thing they need is to have both Nicks and Cruz as UFAs at the end of this upcoming season. The Longer the Giants make him wait the more bitter he may become and want to test UFA. I say let him sign it (tender) but then get him under a longterm deal ASAP

With the Welker and Amendola signings, it's pretty apparent that the going price for a top slot receiver is $6 mil. Victor can always claim to be more; but I think the Giants are on pretty firm ground for a five year $30mil deal. Maybe some incentive clauses to reward him for big years; but the base salary is prettty clear. The ball truly is in Victor's court. He could lose a pile of money if he puts in a bad year. He would be wise to lock the $6 mil/yr up, and try to capitalize on his marketability in NYC.

A hold out would be the dumbest thing he could do, and I don't expect him to do that.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter)With Greg Jennings in MINN, neither team with double first-round picks - Rams nor Vikes - is expected to sign Victor Cruz to an offer sheet.

Now let's sign the man so I can sleep.

Why would we sign him now unless we get a nice team-friendly deal? If he doesn't get an offer sheet, he has to play with us this year for $2.9M. Advantage Giants.

BigBlueAllDay
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
There is no real reason to hold out/sit out a year instead of the signing the RFA tender as the team can just continually put the RFA tender on the player after each season until the player accrues his 4th regular season playing under the tender. Of course, getting an offer sheet from another team or geting a new deal done with the current team would also prety much absolve the RFA tag as well.

ShakeandBake
03-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Why would we sign him now unless we get a nice team-friendly deal? If he doesn't get an offer sheet, he has to play with us this year for $2.9M. Advantage Giants.

I guess it depends on how long they plan on keeping him around, and what WRs will be available in FA next year potentially making Cruz's value go up or down. If they want to give him a ~4 yr contract it may benefit us to sign him now, than later if he puts up good numbers again this season, making his value go up again. Judging by Welker and Amendola's contracts Cruz would probably get something in the neighborhood of 6mil a year if we resigned him now. If we waited a year to give him a new contract, it would save us about 3mil short term but down the line may end up costing us more or less so there is risk both ways. We really don't know what is going to happen next year so it wouldn't be crazy to lock him up now.

miked1958
03-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Cruz also has to realize being in NYC/NJ area will increase his annual salary by X amount of dollars in endorsements over any other potential city he would consider signing with

P_Simms_#11
03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Cruz also has to realize being in NYC/NJ area will increase his annual salary by X amount of dollars in endorsements over any other potential city he would consider signing with

I tend to agree, but people have brought up examples of players from smaller markets, like P. Manning and A. Rodgers, who have done well with endorsements.

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 01:35 PM

Absolutely! With his personality he can make a ton of extra money doing product endorsements.

FlyingTruck
03-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure players aren't allowed to holdout anymore under the new CBA.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Why would we sign him now unless we get a nice team-friendly deal? If he doesn't get an offer sheet, he has to play with us this year for $2.9M. Advantage Giants. Because they have already made him an offer for a long term deal.

BigBlueAllDay
03-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure players aren't allowed to holdout anymore under the new CBA.

Fines for holdouts only apply to players that are under an existing signed contract to play. Free agents will alway have a right to not sign a contract/tender, no matter how much negotiation leverage the team has. They are free to quit the NFL or sit out an entire season with no NFL salary if they can't play for another team, but that rarely happens. An NFL salary is still way better than no salary or a regular joe's salary. Just ask Blackburn how much he was making from teaching compared to coming back to the Giants late in the 2011 season.

CowboysSuck
03-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Wait am I missing something here? I thought we signed Nicks to a deal already? No? He cant possibly still be under his rookie contract. And theres no way he signed a 1-year deal. So what am i missing?

BigBlueAllDay
03-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Wait am I missing something here? I thought we signed Nicks to a deal already? No? He cant possibly still be under his rookie contract. And theres no way he signed a 1-year deal. So what am i missing?

Nicks is still under his rookie contract. 5-year deal in 2009 in the Pre-New CBA era. 2013 is the last year of his deal (contract year).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/hakeem-nicks/

CowboysSuck
03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
I thought we signed a new deal with him. guess not

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM

Cruz can also sign a long term deal with the Giants since they have already offered him one. If Condon is his agent today or tomorrow (5 day rule) in another three days he can sign a contract. Since offer sheets are extremely rare it has always been doubtful that he would get any offer sheets. He's been tagged with a 1st round tender and he's been offered a long term contract by the Giants. Those are really his choices at this point.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Because they have already made him an offer for a long term deal.

Sure they have . . . for a team-friendly deal. If he won't take that type of deal, then he plays this year for $2.9M.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 06:17 PM
I guess it depends on how long they plan on keeping him around, and what WRs will be available in FA next year potentially making Cruz's value go up or down. If they want to give him a ~4 yr contract it may benefit us to sign him now, than later if he puts up good numbers again this season, making his value go up again. Judging by Welker and Amendola's contracts Cruz would probably get something in the neighborhood of 6mil a year if we resigned him now. If we waited a year to give him a new contract, it would save us about 3mil short term but down the line may end up costing us more or less so there is risk both ways. We really don't know what is going to happen next year so it wouldn't be crazy to lock him up now.

Don't think that it would be crazy either . . . but he has to take a team friendly deal.

The_ One
03-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Cruz needs to realize something, we are not the Cleveland browns or some team looking for recognition, the Giants have always done it their way, and will continue to do so, we do not overpay, no one player makes a TEAM, the only player that should make top dollar is your franchise QB, if you look at teams like NE Patriots, NY Giants, the Steelers, franchises with solid "smart" ownership that have Champion pedigrees never overpay, I would add the Redskins, but since Shnider took over they have gone downhill, and Jerry and Cowgirls is another story, did anyone see the train wreck that happened in Phillthydelphia by trying to collect a dream team. Cruz will get payed well, to play a game, well enough so him and his family will be financially secure for life.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Sure they have . . . for a team-friendly deal. If he won't take that type of deal, then he plays this year for $2.9M.

Why do you think he changed agents?

Redeyejedi
03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
The Giants must be planning on signing him long term next season. If they werent going to why not put a 2nd round tender to entice some team to grab him. Holding on to him for 1 more season wouldnt be worth it.

RoanokeFan
03-16-2013, 08:50 PM
The Giants must be planning on signing him long term next season. If they werent going to why not put a 2nd round tender to entice some team to grab him. Holding on to him for 1 more season wouldnt be worth it.

John Mara has already said that would be the case. That was before he changed agents and hired Tom Condon who works well with Jerry Reese.

Rat_bastich
03-16-2013, 10:22 PM
John Mara has already said that would be the case. That was before he changed agents and hired Tom Condon who works well with Jerry Reese.

Definitely something coming. It has gotten real quiet as we wait out this new agent rule. I imagine some news will probably be dropping in the next few days that will be keeping Cruz here for some time. Like you said, Tom Conon has a good relationship with the Giants.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Why do you think he changed agents?

Not sure . . . maybe he felt that Condon's relationship with the Giants could make it easier to come to a compromise deal. But there is no reason for the Giants to pay his asking price now. We have all the leverage. He'll have to risk injury and wait until next year to get his full market value (if we don't franchise him).

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Non-news. Cruz wasn't in danger of being signed away.