PDA

View Full Version : Myers signs...

BluTri10
03-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Per Ralph V

EDIT:

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/16/new-york-giants-sign-tight-end-brandon-myers/ - RF

Excerpt: "The New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants were in a search for a replacement for departed tight end Martellus Bennett. On Saturday night, the team found one, as they landed former Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today.

The Giants moved quickly to sign the 27-year-old, as they brought him in for a meeting on Saturday and signed him to a deal the same day.

In 2012 with Oakland, Myers had 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdown receptions and was ranked the No. 3 tight end in free agency behind Tony Gonzalez and Dustin Keller." Read more...

BluTri10
03-16-2013, 08:13 PM
There you go. Giants have their TE. .,, RT @MikeGarafolo: TE Brandon Myers has agreed to sign with the Giants.

Carter.525
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Boo-Yah..!! Best pick up yet

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Wasn't expecting this one, I'm interested to know the terms.

I worry about his blocking but he can at least produce through the air.

Captain Chaos
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm not excited....

Morehead State
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Boo-Yah..!! Best pick up yet
Can he play left Guard in a pinch?

FishinTheSalt
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
starting to feel a little better about this seasons outlook.maybe thecsky isn't falling. imagine that.

Carter.525
03-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Can he play left Guard in a pinch?yes!!

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:18 PM
wow, this is a exciting signing.. I don't care what u guys say, TE's today have to catch a ton of balls , and what he did with lousy Carson Palmer speaks volume, and he can stretch the seam and be a nightmare matchup with his size against LB's.. ELI is gonna kill it with this guy! Straight up kill it! Did i meantion, kill it? KILL IT!

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I can't wait to see this guy play!

Medisleman
03-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Looks good, 79 receptions 806yds, 10yds per catch avg last year. Nice pickup, likely will do even better with Eli working with him.

Eli TO Shockey
Love this signing. Is he really that bad of a blocker ?

byron
Can he play left Guard in a pinch? we are not going to use linemen any more just TE's and WR's .... Eli ,"everybody go out for a pass" !!!

TheEnigma
Another TE for the factory. We'll get really good value from him next year and then watch some team overpay for him in 2014.

TCHOF
Seems to be a decent receiver. How is his blocking?

Morehead State
wow, this is a exciting signing.. I don't care what u guys say, TE's today have to catch a ton of balls , and what he did with lousy Carson Palmer speaks volume, and he can stretch the seam and be a nightmare matchup with his size against LB's.. ELI is gonna kill it with this guy! Straight up kill it! Did i meantion, kill it? KILL IT!
So you don't like the signing?

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
So you don't like the signing? Nah ur right, i don't like it, i love it! Seriously uncle morehead, this is our TE! This guy might not be a blocker extrodinarie, but if we can beef up our Oline a bit and get respectable effort outta him in that aspect, his pass recieving skills are gonna far outweigh anything negative in that category.. I seen this guy make some spectacular catches stretching the seam last yr, as well as some tough ones underneath.. Hes dangerous!

Carter.525
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
No need to draft a TE now..

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Another TE for the factory. We'll get really good value from him next year and then watch some team overpay for him in 2014. The best TE we've had in awhile with ball in his hands...

Morehead State
03-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Nah ur right, i don't like it, i love it! Seriously uncle morehead, this is our TE! This guy might not be a blocker extrodinarie, but if we can beef up our Oline a bit and get respectable effort outta him in that aspect, his pass recieving skills are gonna far outweigh anything negative in that category.. I seen this guy make some spectacular catches stretching the seam last yr, as well as some tough ones underneath.. Hes dangerous!
No I agree that Myers could be huge. He started to look like Jimmy or Gronk near the end of last season. But we desperately need to address our O line and haven't yet.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-16-2013, 08:32 PM
How many yeears do we think?

Please be 2-3 at least.... hate these 1 year contracts and we lose the guy the following season after he breaks out with us.

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Love watching these highlights... Watch all the diffrent stuff he does for Iowa.. TE screens, underneath stuff, darting up the seam..etc He seams to have a knack for route running as well, and settles into his spot in the zone very nicely as well as a saftey valve...

Iowa Hawkeye Brandon Myers - 2008 Highlights - YouTube

► 3:46 www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDeJzEfWDtA
Nov 30, 2008 - 4 min - Uploaded by Hawkeyeshawn1234
Iowa Hawkeye Brandon Myers - 2008 Highlights.

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Please be 2-3 at least.... hate these 1 year contracts and we lose the guy the following season after he breaks out with us. Ya, i want this guy around with ELI for at least 3seasons.. U guys are gonna see now what a stout recieving TE can really do, when u got guys like Ballard and Boss pr utting up numbers.. This guy blows them outta the water in every witch way with his pass recieving skills and running after the catch.. Can't wait to see some TE screens with this guy!

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:37 PM
No I agree that Myers could be huge. He started to look like Jimmy or Gronk near the end of last season. But we desperately need to address our O line and haven't yet. Ya, but now we don't have to stress DT(cullen Jenkins fantastic signing), TE(Myers), and we got some good secondary depth with Mundy and Ross, and a solid 2down run stopping LB in Connor, who i think fits well with the giants way of doing things.. So now we can do alittle damage on Oline in draft...

Morehead State
03-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Ya, i want this guy around with ELI for at least 3seasons.. U guys are gonna see now what a stout recieving TE can really do, when u got guys like Ballard and Boss pr utting up numbers.. This guy blows them outta the water in every witch way with his pass recieving skills and running after the catch.. Can't wait to see some TE screens with this guy!
Eli really hasn't been a guy to get the ball to the TE in his career. Maybe this signals a change.

TheEnigma
03-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Ok so I hear about how bad this guy is in terms of blocking. Is it a technique issue or he simply doesn't have the tools for it?

Carter.525
03-16-2013, 08:41 PM
How many yeears do we think?Please be 2-3 at least.... hate these 1 year contracts and we lose the guy the following season after he breaks out with us.I really hope it's not another 1 yr deal..

NYG4lifeNYK
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Ok so I hear about how bad this guy is in terms of blocking. Is it a technique issue or he simply doesn't have the tools for it?
Mike Pope could help a cat block a pitt bull.

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Please be 2-3 at least.... hate these 1 year contracts and we lose the guy the following season after he breaks out with us.
Since Myers is proven, I don't see why he'd accept a single-year, budget deal. It makes a multi-year deal seem more likely. Once you take the Giants' cap situation into account, it almost seems certain that they'd offer a longer deal.

I'm going to say 3 years / 12 million. Pure speculation, of course.

Drez
03-16-2013, 08:45 PM
No I agree that Myers could be huge. He started to look like Jimmy or Gronk near the end of last season. But we desperately need to address our O line and haven't yet.There's still the draft and post-June 1 FA to go through.

miked1958
03-16-2013, 08:45 PM
I realize all these FA signings are prob just the vet min but it doesn't address how we bring Boothe back and sign the rookies. I guess they are counting on the June 1 thing with Bradshaw and Canty and use that savings towards the 4.5 million it'll take to sign all the draftees. But we may need an additional 5m t go with the 2.8 million to secure Cruz long term

Drez
03-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Eli really hasn't been a guy to get the ball to the TE in his career. Maybe this signals a change.He targeted Bennett like 80+ times last year.

ALLnygIN
03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Okay, I like this. I honestly, was a bit worried when we let bennett walk... this is a good thing!

miked1958
03-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Is there any NFL highlights? I can just find the Iowa ahawkeyes ones on youtube and HS

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 08:49 PM
He targeted Bennett like 80+ times last year.
Yep. 90, to be exact. Compare that to Ballard's 60 targets in 2011 and it becomes clear that the Giants aren't afraid to rely on the position as a receiving option.

egyptian420
03-16-2013, 08:49 PM
This is huge....I know some people are skeptical on here but I think it would be a safe guess to say this guy should have even more production than Bennett last year. Love this signing, surprised we were able to get him.

They must have a plan for this o-line through the draft because we've done nothing about it thus far and I'm sure they know how awful we were in that department last year.

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:51 PM
He targeted Bennett like 80+ times last year. Ya, i dont know what people are talking about, we've had productive TE's for god knows how long now? I mean even guys like ballard and boss were weapons in this offense, and there not even that good.. Myers is gonna be a monster weapon for us, assuming he stays healthy.. Martellus "underachiever" Bennett even came over here and put up numbers.. Myers is the best TE we've had since Shockey, hands down, no questions asked, offensively..

Roxersboxers
03-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Whats the June 1st thing?

nycsportzfan
03-16-2013, 08:54 PM
This is huge....I know some people are skeptical on here but I think it would be a safe guess to say this guy should have even more production than Bennett last year. Love this signing, surprised we were able to get him.

They must have a plan for this o-line through the draft because we've done nothing about it thus far and I'm sure they know we were awful in that department last year. I'm super surprised we got em.. Didn't think we'd get a top flight TE in our situation.. I dont' know what other teams were thinking, the guy got his biggest opp and prooved hes nasty, its not like he was getting tons of chances in that pathetic offense the first 3yrs, as he was a 6th rder, and had to work his way into there good graces and show he had something.. This is a ridiculous signing for us!

I was watching some of his College highlights, and they were pretty awesome as well.. He really moves well with the ball in his hands, and can do damage on the TE screen, get up the seam, solid route runner, can make the acrobatic catch..etc

Morehead State
He targeted Bennett like 80+ times last year.
There were a lot of targets but still not great productivity.
Myers has 1000 yard potential written all over him. Not sure KG's system utilizes the TE that well.
As I said, maybe this signing is a signal that the TE will become a bigger part of our attack.

BlessedinBlue22
We signed Michael Myers? I woulda much prefered dustin keller for a non blocking TE...grrr

Morehead State
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm super surprised we got em.. Didn't think we'd get a top flight TE in our situation.. I dont' know what other teams were thinking, the guy got his biggest opp and prooved hes nasty, its not like he was getting tons of chances in that pathetic offense the first 3yrs, as he was a 6th rder, and had to work his way into there good graces and show he had something.. This is a ridiculous signing for us!

I was watching some of his College highlights, and they were pretty awesome as well.. He really moves well with the ball in his hands, and can do damage on the TE screen, get up the seam, solid route runner, can make the acrobatic catch..etc

I'm super surprised Oakland let him go after he had such a big year.

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Is there any NFL highlights? I can just find the Iowa ahawkeyes ones on youtube and HS
Some here: http://www.nfl.com/videos/tag/Brandon%20Myers

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-16-2013, 08:58 PM
We signed Michael Myers? I woulda much preferred dustin keller for a non blocking TE...grrr
they signed brandon myers, michael myers plays for the Halloween franchise. this kid is a nice pick up, can catch the ball and get positive YAC. he's a giant now, show your support!

Drez
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
I realize all these FA signings are prob just the vet min but it doesn't address how we bring Boothe back and sign the rookies. I guess they are counting on the June 1 thing with Bradshaw and Canty and use that savings towards the 4.5 million it'll take to sign all the draftees. But we may need an additional 5m t go with the 2.8 million to secure Cruz long termWe'll get some money back in June for guys that were listed as post-June 1 cuts (iirc, Bradshaw and Canty had been). That'll give us about enough money to resign the draft class. There's a few contract that can be reworked and a few guys that can be cut. Also, coming up soon is when the top 51 salaries are the only ones that count.

paulj
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Good aquisition!

Another 'B' TE (This is a Giants rule: Thou shall acquire TE via FA or draft provided their First or Last name begins with a B)
Bavaro, Boss, Ballard, Brandon

Drez
03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
There were a lot of targets but still not great productivity.
Myers has 1000 yard potential written all over him. Not sure KG's system utilizes the TE that well.
As I said, maybe this signing is a signal that the TE will become a bigger part of our attack.Well, 80 targets says that the TE was at least supposed to be a big part of the offense.

Drez
03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Whats the June 1st thing?Essentially the second round of FA.

Drez
03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Yep. 90, to be exact. Compare that to Ballard's 60 targets in 2011 and it becomes clear that the Giants aren't afraid to rely on the position as a receiving option.That's what I though. Figured it'd be better to guess low, lol.

DownWitJPP
03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Good aquisition!

Another 'B' TE (This is a Giants rule: Thou shall acquire TE via FA or draft provided their First or Last name begins with a B)
Bavaro, Boss, Ballard, Brandon

add Bennett to that list

Giantz4Life
Love this signing! Can't wait to see him in Blue!

TheEnigma
79 receptions out of 105 targets with a 10.2 average. Maybe another short-to-intermediate target for Eli?

P_Simms_#11
Nice pick up. Welcome to the New York Football Giants Brandon Myers!

DownWitJPP
03-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Doesn't sound like the type TE we usually go after but I don't know much about him so I will reserve judgement..he's now a Giant so I will support him.

brad
03-16-2013, 09:09 PM
This guy is a big target that will help take pressure off the outside receivers and give Eli a quick outlet receiver. Good signing.

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Rader fans aren't to high on him. They feel he's to slow and can't block.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/around-nfl/197052-brandon-signs-nyg.html

airban
03-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Love love love this pick up - in Reese I trust!

Can't wait to see the terms.

Giantz4Life
03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Rader fans aren't to high on him. They feel he's to slow and can't block.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/around-nfl/197052-brandon-signs-nyg.html

Raider fans also have not had a legitimate QB or offense for years. I think this guy can open up the passing attack for Eli. I paid close attention to him last year and he was one of the more productive TEs in the league.

blue_truth
03-16-2013, 09:14 PM
No need to draft a TE now..

I think that's the best part it opens up the draft for other more pressing needs.

miked1958
03-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Whats the June 1st thing?hold on I will post the answer I got in another thread for you............

Originally Posted by miked1958 Question: Reason I ask is we were just discussing in another thread where the money will come from to sign Boothe and the Draft class. We only were about 1.5 over signing Mundy, and resigning rivers. Where would all this money come from?

Originally posted by Drez. Answer: We'll be getting some extra money come June. Pat Traina believes that Bradshaw and Canty are going to be designated as post-June 1 cuts, which means their accelerated cap hits get spread over 2 years, instead of just this year. That should free up almost enough to sign our draft class. If we can get Diehl to take a pay cut, and maybe make another move or two (possibly get Rolle to take a cut, extend Eli, etc.), then we'll have more than enough.

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Raider fans also have not had a legitimate QB or offense for years. I think this guy can open up the passing attack for Eli. I paid close attention to him last year and he was one of the more productive TEs in the league.

And one other thing they don't have - THE POPE! The best TE coach in the Galaxy.

L.T.56
03-16-2013, 09:32 PM
looking at the raiders forum. consensus is a mediocre tight end who's a very poor blocker. unless they are trying to downplay losing him.

Giantz4Life
03-16-2013, 09:34 PM
And one other thing they don't have - THE POPE! The best TE coach in the Galaxy.

Right on brotha.

I am really excited about this signing more than any other so far.

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
looking at the raiders forum. consensus is a mediocre tight end who's a very poor blocker. unless they are trying to downplay losing him.
This board does the same thing every time a player leaves.

miked1958
03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
looking at the raiders forum. consensus is a mediocre tight end who's a very poor blocker. unless they are trying to downplay losing him. NYs FO seems to have a knack for taking marginal players and Turning them into Stars in the Giants system. And on the other side of it players that exit dont seem to have as much success out of the Giants system

AGiantDynasty
03-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Solid catching TE.. but I personally like TEs that aren't useless when you need to run the ball.

brad
03-16-2013, 09:38 PM

The consensus on the Dallas boards about Bennet was that he was a decent blocker that couldn't catch... he seemed to do well in that department for the Giants. I think Pope can work with Myers on his blocking and we already know that he is good as a receiving TE.

nycsportzfan
This board does the same thing every time a player leaves. Not the raiders fans i was seeing writing.. Most i seen were peeved saying " Were getting rid of the wrong guys!".. Now as far as Ryan Mundy, it was almost all consensus pitt fans saying good riddance.. But Myers was OAK's best weapon hands down, and was a savior for them last yr...

L.T.56
NYs FO seems to have a knack for taking marginal players and Turning them into Stars in the Giants system. And on the other side of it players that exit dont seem to have as much success out of the Giants system

yea it does help when you have a tight ends coach like mike pope. plus the raiders are a big mess.

Carter.525
03-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Solid catching TE.. but I personally like TEs that aren't useless when you need to run the ball.Maybe be alot of 2 TE sets with Robinson

miked1958
Right on brotha. I am really excited about this signing more than any other so far.true he has taken boss Ballard and Bennett and made them all successful... Also has had success with getting the most out of Pascoe. Although not so much with beckum... So now we come into the area of another "B" TE in Brandon Collins

BlessedinBlue22
Michael Myers is rated as a Top 10 TE in the NFL. Actually no.6 ahead of Kyle Rudolph on this youtube video lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN6QrvIIClU&list=HL1363484287

BLEEDBLUE4LIFE
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Dude caught 79 balls last year, 3 less then cruz did. Eli should have fun this year!!!!

giantsfan420
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
why the **** didnt we just keep MB????? hes not gonna be near the blocker MB was, and MB was showing a ton of promise in the pass game...??????????????

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 09:42 PM
why the **** didnt we just keep MB????? hes not gonna be near the blocker MB was, and MB was showing a ton of promise in the pass game...??????????????
Because he cost too much?

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 09:44 PM

Yeah it's funny I noticed that too. It's a parallel universe.

Sean Montemayor
03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Epic!!! Nice pickup Big Blue!

Sean Montemayor
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
why the **** didnt we just keep MB????? hes not gonna be near the blocker MB was, and MB was showing a ton of promise in the pass game...?????????????? Too much money for us. We like to shop in the bargain bin.

giantsfan420
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
he'll be fine here in terms of blocking. he was a te at iowa, pretty sure hes got an understanding of it at the least. but im still baffled why we didnt keep mb.

we will still draft a te i bet on it. i read an article about pope being enamored with an under the radar te in the draft. wouldnt surprise me to see us add 1...

and the FA has allowed us to really go BPA again. people are crossing off positions we wont draft rd 1 bc of who we r adding but really its the other way around. by adding depth everywhere, JR has enabled us to go BPA again. but i bet its an OL bc 1 of warmack/cooper/johnson is gonna fall to us...than barret jones in rd 3?

Drez
03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
why the **** didnt we just keep MB????? hes not gonna be near the blocker MB was, and MB was showing a ton of promise in the pass game...??????????????Because Myers isn't going to cost 5 mil a season?

miked1958
03-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Michael Myers is rated as a Top 10 TE in the NFL. Actually no.6 ahead of Kyle Rudolph on this youtube video lolhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN6QrvIIClU&list=HL1363484287dude you must have the Movie "Halloween" on the brain..lol his name is Brandon....Yep number 6!!! But notice who's name was NOT on that list?? Yep Bennett. Anyway Myers looked decent from the little highlights they showed

Greatone80
03-16-2013, 09:53 PM
How much,how long?? hope he didnt cost alot.

sethm
03-16-2013, 10:11 PM

That is a fact! If the guy has any chance of stepping in and stepping up as an all around TE for any team its with the coaching up by the G Mens Pope

Giantslb66
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
We're going to need to score a ton, because the defense is still a huge question mark.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 10:17 PM

No, he was rated one of the worst blocking TE's in the league last year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/2013-nfl-free-agency

P_Simms_#11
03-16-2013, 10:18 PM
How much,how long?? hope he didnt cost alot.

I don't think that's been released yet.

TCHOF
03-16-2013, 10:19 PM

So you think that we should have paid MB $20M over 4 years?

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 10:21 PM

I questioned his blocking on the first page of this thread. Myers has clearly been brought here to catch some of Bennett's 90 targets.

I was referring to how fanbases tend to deride a player once he leaves their team. Those Raiders fans referred to one of their most productive players as "mediocre".

I'm not ecstatic about this signing but it fills a need.

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 10:25 PM
Many Raider fans are very upset to see him go. They expect Myers to flourish "with a real QB." I like the signing, he has the size, and Pope will show him the technique. As long as he's willing to block (which really isn't negotiable), he will improve.

BlessedinBlue22
03-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Many Raider fans are very upset to see him go. They expect Myers to flourish "with a real QB." I like the signing, he has the size, and Pope will show him the technique. As long as he's willing to block (which really isn't negotiable), he will improve.

Maybe Robinson will split time with him and come in more on run blocking, etc downs...woulda liked to see Robinson get a chance to start..has long arms, speed and athleticism as well. But then again he's unproven potential and Michael Myers is a top 10 TE.

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 10:31 PM
why the **** didnt we just keep MB????? hes not gonna be near the blocker MB was, and MB was showing a ton of promise in the pass game...??????????????I understand your frustration 420. You and I were both very high on Bennett, clamoring for him prior to his signing. I remember expressing my concerns about only signing him to a one year deal, knowing full well he'd establish to much value here to make re-signing him a feasible option. As many others have said, we couldn't match Chicago's offer. Don't sleep on Myers though.

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Maybe Robinson will split time with him and come in more on run blocking, etc downs...woulda liked to see Robinson get a chance to start..has long arms, speed and athleticism as well. But then again he's unproven potential and Michael Myers is a top 10 TE.We'll see. Again, I think the GMB is getting a little too worked up over the Tight End situation, for about 5 years in a row lol.

Drez
03-16-2013, 10:37 PM
We'll see. Again, I think the GMB is getting a little too worked up over the Tight End situation, for about 5 years in a row lol.Well, Boss was steady for a couple of years. But, yeah, point still stands.

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Well, Boss was steady for a couple of years. But, yeah, point still stands.True, but many of the Shockey-ites were still clamoring for that Tight End. I remember in 2008, we opened the season with like three games without a Tight End catching a pass, and many were flipping lol

L.T.56
03-16-2013, 10:43 PM
it seems to me that they are grooming robinson to be their tight end for the future and for the time being just bringing in 1 year rentals.

blueribbon
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM

Even worst PFF have his run-blocking rating at -20.4. The lowest EVER rating for a TE.

Let's see what Pope can do with his blocking skills. I'm sure Pope had some input on this acquisition.

bigblue5611
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM

..just for fun ill ask this as nyc clearly hates this signing...soooo...how do you compare brandon to say, mr. shockey? ...

G-Men Surg.
03-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Can he play left Guard in a pinch?

No but get Travis Frederick in the 3rd round and he will. He's a tough SOB with a mean streak. Then when Baas leaves he can man up at C. Believe me, don't put much weight on his combine numbers , he is a football player, old school .

giantsfan420
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
I understand your frustration 420. You and I were both very high on Bennett, clamoring for him prior to his signing. I remember expressing my concerns about only signing him to a one year deal, knowing full well he'd establish to much value here to make re-signing him a feasible option. As many others have said, we couldn't match Chicago's offer. Don't sleep on Myers though.true. i rank ur player analysis top rate. meyers does seem like he could be a gronk type prospect he just move well for a te. no wasted movements.

giantsfan420
03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Even worst PFF have his run-blocking rating at -20.4. The lowest EVER rating for a TE.

Let's see what Pope can do with his blocking skills. I'm sure Pope had some input on this acquisition.well to be fair, looks like hes at his best in a graham/gronk/hernandez type te role. def needs to improve blocking otherwise hes a suped up beckum?

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 11:00 PM
true. i rank ur player analysis top rate. meyers does seem like he could be a gronk type prospect he just move well for a te. no wasted movements.Man, Gronk-type prospect is a tad extreme. In my limited time watching football, I've never seen any TE be able to do what a healthy Gronk can do.

Productivity wise, if his blocking doesn't limit his snaps, he can put up some very nice numbers here. I could see him becoming another Eli security blanket, not that he really needs one at this point.

BlessedinBlue22
03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
What are the details for Michael Myers? how many years did they sign him and for how much? That'd be sic if they start playin the michael myers theme song from halloween after every TD, like the salsa for Cruz.

gmen0820
03-16-2013, 11:05 PM
What are the details for Michael Myers? how many years did they sign him and for how much? That'd be sic if they start playin the michael myers theme song from halloween after every TD, like the salsa for Cruz.OMG it's Brandon Myers! lol

Flip Empty
03-16-2013, 11:06 PM
What are the details for Michael Myers? how many years did they sign him and for how much? That'd be sic if they start playin the michael myers theme song from halloween after every TD, like the salsa for Cruz.
Brandon Myers. There was a DT named Michael Myers, I think he played for the Broncos.

Contract details are yet to be released.

DaKraken
03-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Let's see what Pope can do with his blocking skills. I'm sure Pope had some input on this acquisition.

This has me worried...

BlessedinBlue22
03-16-2013, 11:38 PM
This has me worried...

If we wanted a pass catching TE, we coulda drafted Eiffert, or Ertz, but he looks like a good one. Kelce would be a nice blocking TE addition in the draft.

GiantsFootball1
03-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know the details of the contract? How many years?

BigBlue1971
03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
If we wanted a pass catching TE, we coulda drafted Eiffert, or Ertz, but he looks like a good one. Kelce would be a nice blocking TE addition in the draft.

i dont know if tight end is a priority now that Myers signed!

we still have the dual threat in Pascoe and I expect Robinson will get some playing time this season!

EliIsTheBaas
03-16-2013, 11:53 PM
Great pick up. Now we can grab an OL in the draft in the first or second round. Hopefully someone like Jonathan cooper slips, or maybe warford slips in the second. Either way, its assuring to have a legitimate tight end now.

giantsfan420
03-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Man, Gronk-type prospect is a tad extreme. In my limited time watching football, I've never seen any TE be able to do what a healthy Gronk can do.

Productivity wise, if his blocking doesn't limit his snaps, he can put up some very nice numbers here. I could see him becoming another Eli security blanket, not that he really needs one at this point.yea it was a poor word choice. i meant it as we can use him in a lot of the ways NE uses gronk. is that fair iyo?

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:08 AM
yea it was a poor word choice. i meant it as we can use him in a lot of the ways NE uses gronk. is that fair iyo?Theoretically yes, but not with nearly as much success. Myers' blocking has to improve, and it certainly will. In a way, our organization almost breeds progress.

Myers isn't nearly as dynamic as Gronk, but he is a great option in the pass game, and has the size (and hopefully the mentality) to be a more-than-servicable blocker.

I would put his absolute best case scenario at like a 2010-2012 Tony Gonzalez, provided we give him ample playing time.

americanmade
03-17-2013, 12:08 AM
you guys will like his attitude and work ethic, and the part about his blocking I don't quite understand. The raiders had a new oc and new zone blocking scheme with a pathetic offensive line. Prior to last year he was their blocking TE, so it kind of baffles the mind to think he can't block.He was one of the best TEs in regards to dropped balls last year,and is good at YAC.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
It's interesting though, he could actually put up better numbers than Bennett did, because his blocking isn't as much of an asset.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:11 AM
you guys will like his attitude and work ethic, and the part about his blocking I don't quite understand. The raiders had a new oc and new zone blocking scheme with a pathetic offensive line. Prior to last year he was their blocking TE, so it kind of baffles the mind to think he can't block.He was one of the best TEs in regards to dropped balls last year,and is good at YAC.That's what I'm thinking as well. Many Raiders players (whom fans had high hopes for) struggled because of the blocking scheme transition that Knapp implemented.

Myers has the frame to be an excellent blocker, and if his work ethic is as you've described, he will be an excellent addition for us (especially under Mike Pope's tutelage). Nice post.

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Many Raider fans are very upset to see him go. They expect Myers to flourish "with a real QB." I like the signing, he has the size, and Pope will show him the technique. As long as he's willing to block (which really isn't negotiable), he will improve. And Raider fans get the pleasure of watching him run past their lousy defense for a score this season at MetLife. HaHa.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:12 AM
you guys will like his attitude and work ethic, and the part about his blocking I don't quite understand. The raiders had a new oc and new zone blocking scheme with a pathetic offensive line. Prior to last year he was their blocking TE, so it kind of baffles the mind to think he can't block.He was one of the best TEs in regards to dropped balls last year,and is good at YAC.Wait, are you a Raiders fan?

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Wait, are you a Raiders fan?I've had the pleasure of realizing how horrible the Raiders were and became a Giants fan after Super Bowl 42. I can honestly say I had no clue as to what it meant to love football until I became a Giants fan...For 6 years now since I was 12.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 12:20 AM
White Unicorn..?

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 12:21 AM
White Unicorn..?Vanilla Thunder. Lol

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:24 AM
I've had the pleasure of realizing how horrible the Raiders were and became a Giants fan after Super Bowl 42. I can honestly say I had no clue as to what it meant to love football until I became a Giants fan...For 6 years now since I was 12.No, not you, americanmade.

Nice transition though. I doubt you'll ever regret it.

Antwuan
03-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Welcome To New York Giants Brandon Myers!!!

dnotch121
03-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Ok so I hear about how bad this guy is in terms of blocking. Is it a technique issue or he simply doesn't have the tools for it? he has arms and he has legs...he has the tools

americanmade
03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
NEVER been a raider fan, he is my kids cousin, so I know him , and like him. He will be a breath of fresh air compared to Bennetts crying. Get ready for more Iowans following the Giants. And yes cityboys, he is from the country, and his family farms!

GiantNYFan8
03-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Saw on espn that both Myers and Connor are one yr deals.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/23558/giants-sign-wr-murphy-lb-connor

But I think its a good signing. Will bring a different dynamic, but from what you guys are saying, I hope Pope can help him become a better blocker.

EDIT: My apologizes, it only mentions Connor and Murphy.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:47 AM
NEVER been a raider fan, he is my kids cousin, so I know him , and like him. He will be a breath of fresh air compared to Bennetts crying. Get ready for more Iowans following the Giants. And yes cityboys, he is from the country, and his family farms!No biggie. Our TE from a couple years ago, Kevin Boss, was a country boy too.

His family were potato farmers, I believe.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Saw on espn that both Myers and Connor are one yr deals.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/

But I think its a good signing. Will bring a different dynamic, but from what you guys are saying, I hope Pope can help him become a better blocker.

I really hope Myers deal is longer than 1 yr..

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:51 AM
I really hope Myers deal is longer than 1 yr..Same. Hoped for the same thing with Bennett, but understood that having Bennett in a contract year as a starter was a good thing in its own right.

Myers, though, doesn't seem to have the Bennett...for lack of a better word: baggage -- so I think he benefits us equally, if not more, on a multi-year deal. We'll see though, the terms haven't been released, and I've seen stranger things happen (like Cullen Jenkins for three years, when I was expecting one year at the most).

Overdrive92
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
This is a great signing. I've talked to fans of other teams and they all say the same. This is a perfect match.

Drez
03-17-2013, 12:56 AM
No biggie. Our TE from a couple years ago, Kevin Boss, was a country boy too.

His family were potato farmers, I believe.Hell, Tuck is a country boy. On Twitter he claimed that he and Bear were the most country guys on the team. I guess he even owns cattle, lol.

americanmade
03-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Its just the question he'll hear ,being from Iowa! He is also more athletic than some seem to think, he was an invitee to the NIKE basketball camp when he was younger, Thanks for the kind words, it will be nice not reading Raider trash posts, and listening to their inane ramblings about football strategy.

Drez
03-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Its just the question he'll hear ,being from Iowa! He is also more athletic than some seem to think, he was an invitee to the NIKE basketball camp when he was younger, Thanks for the kind words, it will be nice not reading Raider trash posts, and listening to their inane ramblings about football strategy.Tyler Sash is Iowan, too.

BlessedinBlue22
03-17-2013, 01:02 AM
And yet the TE i really wanted Keller who was imo the best pass catching TE behind Gonzo, Signs with the Dolphins. =(

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 01:03 AM
And yet the TE i really wanted Keller who was imo the best pass catching TE behind Gonzo, Signs with the Dolphins. =(

Myers, Keller & Cook were all good options.. I'm happy with Myers

americanmade
03-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Yeah,Sash is from a town about 40 miles away from where Brandon grew up.I think there are more TEs from Iowa in the NFL than most would imagine,Chandler, Clark,Reisner,Moeaki, Myers

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Yeah,Sash is from a town about 40 miles away from where Brandon grew up.I think there are more TEs from Iowa in the NFL than most would imagine,Chandler, Clark,Reisner,Moeaki, MyersChandler was a Giant for a while. He's had some success upstate.

I was surprised we cut him. We were thin at TEs, and I'm pretty sure he was a Mike Pope favorite.

blu_buddha
03-17-2013, 01:25 AM
I really don't think he is as bad of a blocker as everyone makes him out to be. The Raiders switched from a power run scheme to a zone blocking scheme last year. The whole blocking scheme was a bad fit as their running game took a huge hit. If you look at the year before Brandon Meyers did a very solid job as a run and pass blocker. The kid is built like an olineman

Pope will turn him beast now that he has shown he has hands. Very good insurance until the rookie gets going.

C1010
03-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Myers and Mike Pope! This should be good considering he had a good year receiving, I bet his blocking will be improved under us with some coaching.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:28 AM
I really don't think he is as bad of a blocker as everyone makes him out to be. The Raiders switched from a power run scheme to a zone blocking scheme last year. The whole blocking scheme was a bad fit as their running game took a huge hit. If you look at the year before Brandon Meyers did a very solid job as a run and pass blocker. The kid is built like an olineman

Pope will turn him beast now that he has shown he has hands. Very good insurance until the rookie gets going.

Myers and Mike Pope! This should be good considering he had a good year receiving, I bet his blocking will be improved under us with some coaching.

+1

C1010
03-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Vanilla Thunder. Lol

LMAO

C1010
03-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Any word on the terms of the deal?

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:32 AM
Any word on the terms of the deal?Negative.

BlessedinBlue22
03-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Negative.

10/4

YATittle1962
03-17-2013, 01:51 AM
great pick up

Eli will make this kid and absolute weapon

and coach Pope will improve his blocking you can take that to the bank

titwio
03-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Mike Pope could help a cat block a pitt bull.

Travis Beckum must of been a gerbil then.

titwio
03-17-2013, 05:13 AM
dude you must have the Movie "Halloween" on the brain..lol his name is Brandon....Yep number 6!!! But notice who's name was NOT on that list?? Yep Bennett. Anyway Myers looked decent from the little highlights they showed

I think he's already looking to give him a killer nickname.

titwio
03-17-2013, 05:20 AM
Just wanted to add also....where are the Giants getting the money to sign all these guys? Last I heard they had nothing to spend before Diehl re-structered and after they did that....they went on shopping spree. What about money to sign their rookies, extend Nicks and offer Cruz his long term deal during the season like they said they would.

I know they must have a plan of course....just wondering who's the next guy to bite the bullet to make all this happen.

bigjeep
03-17-2013, 05:50 AM
we are not going to use linemen any more just TE's and WR's .... Eli ,"everybody go out for a pass" !!!

LMFAO!

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Ugh, another one-year deal, apparently: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5413/brandon-myers I'm interested to know how much.

I'm surprised he was willing to accept a short-term deal - perhaps the market wasn't that big for him. Or maybe he just wanted to get as far away from the Raiders as possible.

tonyt830
03-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Myers, Keller & Cook were all good options.. I'm happy with MyersYup, I was all aboard the Giants getting Cook, but I figured he would cost as much, if not more, to re-sign Bennett. And Keller was a security blanket for Dirty Sanchez, and was not asked to block much.

But this Myers kid seems to be a nice under the radar type signing, with a lot of upside. I guess its a win/win situation.

I think another poster mentioned Myers name a week or so back, prior to FA. I Believe it was Sharrick---he mentioned that he thought Myers would be a good signing if we couldnt keep Bennett.

Pope is 1 of the best TE coaches out there, and he will work with him regarding his blocking. Otherwise, he seems to be a good weapon in the pass, and Eli will take full advantage of that.

I believe he is listed at 6''4 250 plus? I think he, Pascoe and Robinson will be a decent trio at TE. I know Pope mentioned, in an article recently(sorry no link) about an under the radar TE in the draft that he had his eyes on. I wonder who that might have been?

keyofgmen
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
The more I look at him, the more I like this. He has improved each year. Seems to like that seam route that Eli loves to toss for 30 yrds or so to TE.

TroyArcher
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Per Ralph V

EDIT:

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/16/new-york-giants-sign-tight-end-brandon-myers/ - RF

Excerpt: "The New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants were in a search for a replacement for departed tight end Martellus Bennett. On Saturday night, the team found one, as they landed former Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers, according to Mike Garafolo of USA Today.

The Giants moved quickly to sign the 27-year-old, as they brought him in for a meeting on Saturday and signed him to a deal the same day.

In 2012 with Oakland, Myers had 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdown receptions and was ranked the No. 3 tight end in free agency behind Tony Gonzalez and Dustin Keller." Read more...

How come not listed on the Giants latest news on this web site?

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM
It may not be "official" yet. Probably just an agreement in principle for the time being. You should hear more today.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Any word on the terms of the deal?

Giants signed TE Brandon Myers, formerly of the Raiders, to a one-year contract.

After losing Martellus Bennett to the Bears, Myers will likely open 2013 as the Giants' new starter, ahead of raw 2012 fourth-rounder Adrien Robinson. It's a solid, low-risk signing by the G-Men. Myers broke out last season as an efficient underneath option for Carson Palmer, securing career bests in catches (79), yards (806), and touchdowns (4). His 78-percent catch rate led the NFL among tight ends with at least 50 targets. Myers is a poor blocker, but he could push for 6-8 TD catches as a reliable red-zone presence for Eli Manning.
Related: Raiders (http://boards.giants.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/oak/raiders)
Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/313078195542966272)

looks like another 1 yr deal.. wish it were longer, or a team option in a 2nd year

nycsportzfan
03-17-2013, 11:15 AM
looks like another 1 yr deal.. wish it were longer, or a team option in a 2nd year He can stretch the seam alittle bit as well.. Hes not all underneath stuff as Ralph says, albeit, thats where he makes alot of his catches.. He actually moves really well for a TE with the ball in his hands, which does make em a great underneath TE, b ecause he dosen't just catch it and get tackled as many TE's do, he actually can get alittle YAC.. He reminds me a bit of Dallas Clark to be honest...

keyofgmen
03-17-2013, 01:03 PM
My enthusiasm waned (a bit) after just hearing him on Sirius NFL. He seemed about as excited and ready to go as a M Strahan going to training camp.

TheEnigma
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
My enthusiasm waned (a bit) after just hearing him on Sirius NFL. He seemed about as excited and ready to go as a M Strahan going to training camp.

I'm watching an interview he had with the Raiders last year. He just isn't an energetic speaker kind of like Bradshaw and Manningham.

titwio
03-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm watching an interview he had with the Raiders last year. He just isn't an energetic speaker kind of like Bradshaw and Manningham.

How many times did he say "ya know" or "oh man" though....

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 01:29 PM

It's not official until the NFL approves the contract

titwio
03-17-2013, 01:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFk2owOCAAA8KPQ.jpg

TheEnigma
03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
He must be related to Carson Palmer somehow. He resembles him so much.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:58 PM
He must be related to Carson Palmer somehow. He resembles him so much.In that picture he does. Wow.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Travis Beckum must of been a gerbil then.

Beckum is a WR in TE clothing. Sometimes you just can't shine a sneaker.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
He must be related to Carson Palmer somehow. He resembles him so much.

I think we just signed Jordan Palmer.. JR got duped!!

wolverine77
03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm really excited about signing Myers. He's from Iowa and played for the Hawkeyes. Iowa produces some good te like Dallas Clark. This kid can help us out and spread the offense helping Nicks and Cruz.

moosedrool
03-17-2013, 03:08 PM

I laugh at all the "great signing" posts here. We are going from a good run blocking TE (Bennett was rated 13th in run blocking out of 62 TE's with enough snaps to qualify) to Myers who was rated 62nd, dead last! Is he a good pass catching TE, yes, but downgrade the Giants run game.

BuffyBlueII
03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
I laugh at all the "great signing" posts here. We are going from a good run blocking TE (Bennett was rated 13th in run blocking out of 62 TE's with enough snaps to qualify) to Myers who was rated 62nd, dead last! Is he a good pass catching TE, yes, but downgrade the Giants run game.

Maybe JR is going to refortify the O line with some decent O linemen and we can actually incorporate a legitimate TE receiving threat in our game plan.

miked1958
03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Just wanted to add also....where are the Giants getting the money to sign all these guys? Last I heard they had nothing to spend before Diehl re-structered and after they did that....they went on shopping spree. What about money to sign their rookies, extend Nicks and offer Cruz his long term deal during the season like they said they would.

I know they must have a plan of course....just wondering who's the next guy to bite the bullet to make all this happen.here is what i found out. Drez in another thread said that Bradshaw and Canty should be Desnignated Post June 1st Cuts which means they can spread out the Dead Money Cap hit over two years instead of all this season. Just with that alone they could pay for over half of the rookie signings witht he Cap Savings.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 03:27 PM
here is what i found out. Drez in another thread said that Bradshaw and Canty should be Desnignated Post June 1st Cuts which means they can spread out the Dead Money Cap hit over two years instead of all this season. Just with that alone they could pay for over half of the rookie signings witht he Cap Savings.

Reese has the "wherewithal" to do what the Giants need to do. At least John Mara thinks so.

Drez
03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
here is what i found out. Drez in another thread said that Bradshaw and Canty should be Desnignated Post June 1st Cuts which means they can spread out the Dead Money Cap hit over two years instead of all this season. Just with that alone they could pay for over half of the rookie signings witht he Cap Savings.Don't credit me, credit Pat Traina for posting that little tidbit on twitter, lol.

Drez
03-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Reese has the "wherewithal" to do what the Giants need to do. At least John Mara thinks so.There are a good number of things that we can do to create room if needed. Some of them may not be fun, but if Mara/Reese think it's worth it, there's things to be done.

titwio
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Beckum is a WR in TE clothing. Sometimes you just can't shine a sneaker.

This is true....Beckum was actually a converted WR in college. I think they planned on making him a Giants version of Dallas Clark when they drafted him. The guy was just too fragile though.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
There are a good number of things that we can do to create room if needed. Some of them may not be fun, but if Mara/Reese think it's worth it, there's things to be done.

These FA one year signings help to control the seasons immediately following 2013.

keyofgmen
03-17-2013, 03:58 PM
These FA one year signings help to control the seasons immediately following 2013.

Seems like a lot of one year deals this year all over. Any idea if this different than other years?

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 03:58 PM
This is true....Beckum was actually a converted WR in college. I think they planned on making him a Giants version of Dallas Clark when they drafted him. The guy was just too fragile though.

I'll never forget TC's response to a question about Beckum coming back from one of his injuries: "Beckum is Beckum."

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 03:59 PM

Beckum was a LB too.. before TE

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll never forget TC's response to a question about Beckum coming back from one of his injuries: "Beckum is Beckum."That was a classic. A pure gem, lol.

RoanokeFan
Seems like a lot of one year deals this year all over. Any idea if this different than other years?

I can't say for sure, but it does help us keep the CAP space more friendly beyond 2013 which is when we need to address Nicks and JPP as well as some others I imagine.

RoanokeFan
That was a classic. A pure gem, lol.

I actually laughed out loud

sethm
03-17-2013, 04:01 PM
looks like another 1 yr deal.. wish it were longer, or a team option in a 2nd year

I wrote this on another thread here...............

"There source is a tweet from Mike Garafalo. the only 2 tweets he has sent out that were about Myers were

1st one19 hours ago

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
TE Brandon Myers has agreed to sign with the Giants.

2nd one 1hour ago

In Giants' press release announcing Brandon Myers signing, Myers said Kevin Boss told him great things about the organization."

does not mean it is a 1 year contract so no reason to get excited until we know it is

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 04:02 PM
I wrote this on another thread here...............

"There source is a tweet from Mike Garafalo. the only 2 tweets he has sent out that were about Myers were

1st one19 hours ago

TE Brandon Myers has agreed to sign with the Giants.

2nd one 1hour ago

In Giants' press release announcing Brandon Myers signing, Myers said Kevin Boss told him great things about the organization."

does not mean it was not a 1 year contract but no reason to get excited until we know it is

Rotoworld claims it's a one yr deal..

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Seems like a lot of one year deals this year all over. Any idea if this different than other years?Not much of a cap increase, a lot of teams are feeling the squeeze. Also, it's a pretty weak FA class, there's only a few premier players that hit FA this season. Then there's the fact that the cap should see a bit more of a bump when the TV money starts to come in (maybe not as large of a jump as happened under the previous deal, but more than has been since the new CBA). I think teams want to have their options open and not have too much money tied into bad contracts.

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I actually laughed out loudMe too!

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Makes sense and helps keep the CAP under control after 2013

sethm
03-17-2013, 04:13 PM

They claim the reported source was Mike Garafolo tweeted the info, that's why I posted the above he never said any such thing

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Makes sense and helps keep the CAP under control after 2013And even though a lot of guys here are very excited about the signing, Myers has only had the one good year. Better to not drop a lot of money/years on a guy if we don't know if last year was just an outlier.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 04:14 PM
And even though a lot of guys here are very excited about the signing, Myers has only had the one good year. Better to not drop a lot of money/years on a guy if we don't know if last year was just an outlier.

Training camp will be interesting. Can Robinson replace Bennett or will it be Myers?

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 04:15 PM
And even though a lot of guys here are very excited about the signing, Myers has only had the one good year. Better to not drop a lot of money/years on a guy if we don't know if last year was just an outlier.

I really do see this as Reese making sure he has money for 2014 - 2019 and this does that

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
They claim the reported source was Mike Garafolo tweeted the info, that's why I posted the above he never said any such thingOne of the beats (I still include MG in that group), did tweet that it was a 1 year deal, but later recanted saying that s/he had confused the info with the Murphy details. Possible that if MG did tweet it that he later deleted the original tweet.

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
I really do see this as Reese making sure he has money for 2014 - 2019 and this does thatIt also let's us see if Robinson is going to be our TE of the future without being cap committed to Myers.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
It also let's us see if Robinson is going to be our TE of the future without being cap committed to Myers.

+1 and I would think Reese believes that having identified Robinson as the JPP of tight ends.

Drez
03-17-2013, 04:35 PM
+1 and I would think Reese believes that having identified Robinson as the JPP of tight ends.To be fair, though, Reese was referencing Robinson's athletic ability, not necessarily his skill level or ceiling.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
To be fair, though, Reese was referencing Robinson's athletic ability, not necessarily his skill level or ceiling.

I understand, but that's not why Reese drafted him, hopefully.