PDA

View Full Version : Wish we could've signed Myers

KillaRich
03-17-2013, 12:33 AM
For at the very least 2 years.... I know we get a new tight end every year and they work well with Eli.... But I would like an offseason without taking that risk of rolling with a tight end that MIGHT not workout

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 12:34 AM
the White Unicorn is here..!

KillaRich
03-17-2013, 12:38 AM
the White Unicorn is here..!

Lol

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 12:43 AM
The terms of his contract haven't even been released yet

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
The terms of his contract haven't even been released yet

yes, this is important

G-Men Surg.
03-17-2013, 03:22 AM
For at the very least 2 years.... I know we get a new tight end every year and they work well with Eli.... But I would like an offseason without taking that risk of rolling with a tight end that MIGHT not workout

I think Myers is in a win-win situation. He comes to the capital media of the world and he is going to play for a contender under the spotlight every sunday. If he has another good year or breaks out he could have the Giants then offer a multi-tear contract. Even if he plays well and the Giants don't resign him he could end up with another team with added market value and of course the Giants will have more cap space next year. I feel like he is going to have a good impact on this years O if he stays healthy all year long.

BiteyMax22
03-17-2013, 08:58 AM
They seem to think that Adrian Robinson is going to develop into a stud one of these days, so I think they are planning on him in 2014. We also have the best TE coach in football and have been getting good production out of guys who don't even belong in this league. Reese obviously feels that we can find a new TE every year.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:01 AM
They seem to think that Adrian Robinson is going to develop into a stud one of these days, so I think they are planning on him in 2014. We also have the best TE coach in football and have been getting good production out of guys who don't even belong in this league. Reese obviously feels that we can find a new TE every year.

The Giants spend a lot of time and energy developing this draft picks, supplementing them, when they need to, with short term veteran help.

KidA
03-17-2013, 10:07 AM
The Giants spend a lot of time and energy developing this draft picks, supplementing them, when they need to, with short term veteran help.

Hey Roanoke,

This is a little off-topic but I'm curious what you think about it, as you always seem very knowledgeable about these things-

Do you think that the strategy of drafting and developing your own players is becoming less valuable in today's NFL? Sometimes it seems to me that you no sooner get a 3rd or 4th year player producing and he's out the door for more money on another team. Should teams be focusing more on "NFL-ready" players in the draft? Should they be looking for quality role-players in free agency that don't cost an arm and a leg, as Reese often does?

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Yep, one year deal. Unfortunate, but we'll see how it works out.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Yep, one year deal. Unfortunate, but we'll see how it works out.

not a fan of another 1 yr deal

giantsfan420
03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
i keep saying it and i dunno if its just not interesting but im telling u guys, pope has a te in this class whose a sleeper that he absolutely covets/wants. we're gonna draft a te in the later rds and it'll be the dude pope was talking about. im guessing the robinson pick had a lot of pope input as well...

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 11:56 AM
not a fan of another 1 yr dealSame situation with Bennett last year, although I did understand better why Reese didn't commit to Bennett for more than a year.

i keep saying it and i dunno if its just not interesting but im telling u guys, pope has a te in this class whose a sleeper that he absolutely covets/wants. we're gonna draft a te in the later rds and it'll be the dude pope was talking about. im guessing the robinson pick had a lot of pope input as well...Yeah, I saw that as well. We'll see. I think we do pick up a TE late, and hopefully it's the guy that Pope wants, but if he's really a late round guy, I can't see him coming in and having an impact immediately.

Either way, I don't see TE as an issue this year.

nycsportzfan
03-17-2013, 12:00 PM
They seem to think that Adrian Robinson is going to develop into a stud one of these days, so I think they are planning on him in 2014. We also have the best TE coach in football and have been getting good production out of guys who don't even belong in this league. Reese obviously feels that we can find a new TE every year. Ya, having myers even on a 1yr deal, gives us a chance to see a bit more of Adrien Robinson, while also getting him another yr of development , and another yr of us seeing what we got in him.. And we'll have the option of keeping myers or going with Robinson, or possibly neither, i guess...

nycsportzfan
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
not a fan of another 1 yr deal More 1yr deals u have, the more flexiblity u have the following season.. A bunch of 1yr deals, equals more money, albeit, u could lose some guys that play well...

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
I haven't done much draft prep this year, so anyone have a roundabout idea on who it is that Pope is fond of?

TheEnigma
03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I haven't done much draft prep this year, so anyone have a roundabout idea on who it is that Pope is fond of?

I'm guessing it's another Adrien Robinson situation in that this TE might not even be on the media big boards. When he says "under-the-radar" I read that in a literal sense.

DaFrenchy
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
I don't like this dea at all. Like the Bennett's one, like him I think Myers will succeed but we are gonna let him go next year.

G-Men Surg.
03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't like this dea at all. Like the Bennett's one, like him I think Myers will succeed but we are gonna let him go next year.
He walk from another team because they thought he wasn't the permanent solution at TE. Could he succeed here ? I beat he could. Is he going to be irreplaceable if he goes ? Not a chance. The Giants are not going to invest in a TE if he isn't worhty of a long time commitment.

Sebat4
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Kinda sucks how Giants sign a TE to a one year contract, after he plays well he signs with another team. It's like Giants are TE farm team :( But they always find a good replacement for cheap :)

mikeq6722
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
You guys are failing to acknowledge that part of the reason Myers agreed to sign here was most likely so he could have one good season, on a good team, in a big market and then hopefully get paid.

BuffyBlueII
03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Myers is an upgrade from Bennet. Martellus is a better blocker but Myers is a better reciever and has better hands.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Myers is an upgrade from Bennet. Martellus is a better blocker but Myers is a better reciever and has better hands.Depends what you're looking for in a TE. Bennett suits us more than Myers, because our TEs need to be able to block well.

Bennett was an excellent blocker, and was still able to make an impact in the passing game. If I had the choice, I'd take Bennett, but Myers will do for now.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Depends what you're looking for in a TE. Bennett suits us more than Myers, because our TEs need to be able to block well.

Bennett was an excellent blocker, and was still able to make an impact in the passing game. If I had the choice, I'd take Bennett, but Myers will do for now.

In the posted Big Blue View article they suggest Myers blocking is akin to Beckum's which, as we know, was non-existent.

DVision
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Depends what you're looking for in a TE. Bennett suits us more than Myers, because our TEs need to be able to block well.

Boss was a receiving TE coming out of college that learned to block quickly under Pope, but neither Boss or Ballard were exceptional blockers.

sethm
03-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Kinda sucks how Giants sign a TE to a one year contract, after he plays well he signs with another team. It's like Giants are TE farm team :( But they always find a good replacement for cheap :)

Why are you all hung up on the non fact that its a 1year contract. the terms have not been announced anywhere that I can see.

TennisMenace
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Why are you all hung up on the non fact that its a 1year contract. the terms have not been announced anywhere that I can see.

It is for one year. Rotoworld says it, I believe it

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
In the posted Big Blue View article they suggest Myers blocking is akin to Beckum's which, as we know, was non-existent.Listen, he's not a mauling blocker by any means, but as long as he's willing to learn (which from what I've read, he has a solid work ethic), Pope will be able to mold him into a Giants TE.

Here's a nice article I saw though: http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/17/film-breakdown-brandon-myers-run-blocking/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=film-breakdown-brandon-myers-run-blocking

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Listen, he's not a mauling blocker by any means, but as long as he's willing to learn (which from what I've read, he has a solid work ethic), Pope will be able to mold him into a Giants TE.

Here's a nice article I saw though: http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/03/17/film-breakdown-brandon-myers-run-blocking/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=film-breakdown-brandon-myers-run-blocking

I know he can learn, that's not the problem. The problem, as I see it, is not having a dependable RT, LG, and quality depth on the Oline. Bennett leveled that playing field a bit with his blocking.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 01:57 PM
I know he can learn, that's not the problem. The problem, as I see it, is not having a dependable RT, LG, and quality depth on the Oline. Bennett leveled that playing field a bit with his blocking.The only piece-of-mind to that issue would be to take a more-2011ish view, when LT/LG/C/RG/RT were all undependable. Granted, it's not an ideal situation, but we've made it work in the past.

I just hope that our WRs, and QB stay completely healthy, and that we can actually field a defense.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
The only piece-of-mind to that issue would be to take a more-2011ish view, when LT/LG/C/RG/RT were all undependable. Granted, it's not an ideal situation, but we've made it work in the past.

I just hope that our WRs, and QB stay completely healthy, and that we can actually field a defense.

I'd be OK with just the RT

sethm
03-17-2013, 03:17 PM
It is for one year. Rotoworld says it, I believe it

There source is a tweet from Mike Garafalo. the only 2 tweets he has sent out that were about Myers were

1st one19 hours ago

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
TE Brandon Myers has agreed to sign with the Giants.

2nd one 1hour ago

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
In Giants' press release announcing Brandon Myers signing, Myers said Kevin Boss told him great things about the organization.

does not mean it was not a 1 year contract but no reason to get excited until we know it is

G-Men Surg.
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9060651/brandon-myers-agrees-new-york-giants

I have a gut feeling the Giants have said to Myers they like what he brings to the table and probably had said to him that the one year deal is more because of not having cap money available. Next year when more cap money is going to be available he could be in line for a muti-year contract, of course he has to deliver first. That been said it could be only a quick fix and its a win-win situation both ways .

tcseacliff
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9060651/brandon-myers-agrees-new-york-giants

I have a gut feeling the Giants have said to Myers they like what he brings to the table and probably had said to him that the one year deal is more because of not having cap money available. Next year when more cap money is going to be available he could be in line for a muti-year contract, of course he has to deliver first. That been said it could be only a quick fix and its a win-win situation both ways .

your wish has been granted! BOOM! (the football fairy!).

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 08:20 PM
No, KABOOM! Lol.