PDA

View Full Version : Tuck and JPP flipping sides?

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
If someone could link my post to Rotowire (on my phone, so I can't link the app's info). Anyway, says JPP is set to become full time LE, and Tuck to focus at RE without as much shifting as years past. Doesn't sound right.

EDIT:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5681/jason-pierre-paul - RF

ibbill
03-17-2013, 09:41 AM
If someone could link my post to Rotowire (on my phone, so I can't link the app's info). Anyway, says JPP is set to become full time LE, and Tuck to focus at RE without as much shifting as years past. Doesn't sound right.

Right side of this page
http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

GameTime
03-17-2013, 09:46 AM
eehh....whatever. As long as it works for the team.....

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 09:47 AM
The original article comes from the National Football Post. I've never heard of them - are they credible?

It is expected that free agent Osi Umenyiora will not return to the Giants, so the team is planning to compensate by using its remaining pass rushers differently. Instead of playing a rotation in which three men split the snaps pretty evenly as the Giants did last year, Iím told Jason Pierre Paul and Justin Tuck will get the majority of the snaps. And Giants coaches donít want the ends flipping sides as much. The early talk out of the Timex Performance Center is Pierre Paul may become a full-time left end, with Tuck concentrating on the right side.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4049.html (Near the bottom of the page)

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:54 AM
The original article comes from the National Football Post. I've never heard of them - are they credible?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4049.html (Near the bottom of the page)

Andrew Brandt is their guru and he's pretty knowledgeable. This is also being reported by Rotoworld

KidA
03-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Why would they do this? JPP has played more effectively when he's been positioned at Right End.

Tuck is likely to be ineffective on either side.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Why would they do this? JPP has played more effectively when he's been positioned at Right End.

When what you did isn't working you try something else. I'm glad to see them discussing it.

GameTime
03-17-2013, 10:06 AM

well I am sure they have good reasons. Either that or they just flipped a coin and said ok we are switching you guys.

TheEnigma
03-17-2013, 10:14 AM
JPP can switch to the left side when we get Clowney :)

keyofgmen
03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Here's a thought.
Skins and their read option O seem to favor the Left (although this is only my impression...maybe someone could check it out). Rather have Tuck be run at and have JPP chase down and/or contain a comeback to right.
Vick is Leftty...LE better to crush him. JPP obviously better here.
? Romo rolling right often to buy time, might be better to have JPP pester him.

So for East rivals it seems to me would we would be better off with this switch. I know, maybe a stretch, but...

offingmoot
03-17-2013, 10:37 AM
It would be JPP against a weaker link in most lines = right tackle
Let tuck go against left tackle which is usually the best lineman

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Let tuck go against left tackle which is usually the best lineman

But Tuck is not our best DLineman

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Let tuck go against left tackle which is usually the best linemanIn general, Tuck just needs to step it up.

I don't want to look too far into this, but maybe they're trying to rejuvenate Tuck with a little change in scenery. I know, it doesn't make sense to give him the better lineman, but who knows.

I'm almost certain that's the route the Panthers took with Peppers in 2008, and it worked wonders.

Bobby1
03-17-2013, 11:13 AM
JPP should be able to take advantage of right tackles on passing downs and he is playing the run better these days. Tuck should do well shutting down the run on the right side and give the team a push on passing downs as he'll be 1-on-1 most of the time.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 11:14 AM

wouldn't that make us the worst team next year..:eek:

brad
03-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Could this also have something to do with mobile QBs and a tendency to role/run to their right side? I don't know what the statistics are on that, but it seems like a logical move to put JPP on the side the QB would gravitate toward.

penguinfarmer
03-17-2013, 11:41 AM

I don't think Clowney falls all the way to 32.

gmen0820
03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't think Clowney falls all the way to 32.ZING.

I wish though.

penguinfarmer
03-17-2013, 11:42 AM
My issue isn't with JPP moving as I think he can play anywhere, but rather Tuck.

TheEnigma
03-17-2013, 11:50 AM
My issue isn't with JPP moving as I think he can play anywhere, but rather Tuck.

We could just draft a stud DE with the 1st and make all of this a moot point. If someone like Werner were to fall in our laps, it would give us more versatility to utilize with the DEs. I think Tuck needs LESS snaps tbh.

giantsfan420
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
makes sense. JPP is stout vs the run and can hold up at the POA much better than Tuck can at this point. Moving Tuck to the other side will allow him to get upfield and pass rush more, something i think the coaches want to see more of. im guessing they believe jpp can play the run on the way to the qb, and tuck simply cant at this point for a full yr...so they wanna lessen his role a tad and let him rush the passer all out or defend the run all out, not both on the same play.

Toadofsteel
03-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Here's a thought.
Skins and their read option O seem to favor the Left (although this is only my impression...maybe someone could check it out). Rather have Tuck be run at and have JPP chase down and/or contain a comeback to right.
Vick is Leftty...LE better to crush him. JPP obviously better here.
? Romo rolling right often to buy time, might be better to have JPP pester him.

So for East rivals it seems to me would we would be better off with this switch. I know, maybe a stretch, but...

Skins only ran to our LDE all the time because it was Osi in that position. Romo will roll whichever way the rusher isn't. Though you do have a point about Vick...

RagTime Blue
03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I think it's just much easier to find a Right DE in the draft (and FA) than a Left DE. Since JPP can do both, let's get him accustomed to playing the left side, and then when Tuck's all done (maybe soon), we can replace him.

BlessedinBlue22
03-17-2013, 12:37 PM
To have a guy like Okafor opposite JPP would be awesome, he can run defend and pass rush..he could replace osi, as he had quite a few strip sacks at Texas

hungrrrry
03-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I like the move...tuck was ineffective on the left side but can still get respect for the occasional double team causing a huge weakness on the left

BlueSanta
03-17-2013, 02:25 PM
You want your most effective run defender, and most capable player vs double teams at the LDE position. This is largely due to the TE being lined up on this side most often and because most Rbs are more confortable with the ball in their right hands, which equates to running to the right(or at the LDE's side)

In years past that was Tuck. However, since his shoulder injury a couple years ago, he has been on the decline. It is possible his switching sides will allow him to utilize his good shoulder more, but I am just guessing there. I have a feeling this has been toyed with in practice a bit too. I will be anxious to see it in action.

B&RWarrior
03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Skins only ran to our LDE all the time because it was Osi in that position. Romo will roll whichever way the rusher isn't. Though you do have a point about Vick...

Skins ran all over us, to the left to the right, up the middle- EVERYWHERE!

CowboysSuck
03-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Generally speaking, the RT is less athletic and tends to be paid less than the LT.

Putting our best DE on the left side of our defense creates a favorable match-up for us.

The only problem is how will we fare on the right side if we actually do this? Tuck/Kiwi arent the answer.

btw: has Osi been signed by anyone yet? any talks of him staying?

jomo
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Is this flip going to lift Tuck's spirits?

miked1958
03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
I don't think Clowney falls all the way to 32.like the way you THINK!!!

BlueBlooded1979
03-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Generally speaking, the RT is less athletic and tends to be paid less than the LT.

Putting our best DE on the left side of our defense creates a favorable match-up for us.

The only problem is how will we fare on the right side if we actually do this? Tuck/Kiwi arent the answer.

The logic behind this is solid but it didn't work for Carolina when they tried it with Peppers.

darrin99
03-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Osi is still out there, with little apparent interest as of yet. Both sides have said publicly that him staying is a possibility, but who knows how interested either side is in that really happening. IMO, the more these FA's sign minimal 1 year contracts, the more likely it could happen.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Is this flip going to lift Tuck's spirits?

Hopefully his numbers

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Osi is still out there, with little apparent interest as of yet. Both sides have said publicly that him staying is a possibility, but who knows how interested either side is in that really happening. IMO, the more these FA's sign minimal 1 year contracts, the more likely it could happen.

I just don't understand why not one team would want the DPOY??

Manning
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
I can't stand to watch Osi again in all honestly. He was sad and pathetic. Watching him over pursue and get run at all game long was sickening.

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
This sounds pretty cool.

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Just imagine what a beast JPP could be even now!

jomo
03-17-2013, 08:13 PM
I just don't understand why not one team would want the DPOY??Here is a perfect example of why good sarcasm does not need red ink!

Redeyejedi
03-17-2013, 08:20 PM

EDIT:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5681/jason-pierre-paul - RFJPP I think belongs on the Left side but I didnt think he would move until they got rid of Tuck. Maybe they will draft a weakside end this year and faze Tucks snaps out with a Rookie

WR4Life
03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that he was far more efficient playing from this side than he was playing the other side last year. Not a bad idea as it gives him an advantage in the pass rush and he's a great run stopper too. Not a bad idea to put him against (generally) the other teams best run blocker.

Rush4Blitz2
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
The switch is to create a mismatch for offenses. The LT is usually the best pass blocker on the team. The RT is usually the best run blocking tackle. The switch will place JPP, our best pass rusher, in front of the Run-Blocking Tackle while Tuck, our best run stopping DE, will be matched up against the LT. It may create a bit more pressure with our DT stunts and what have you....

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 03:32 AM

EDIT:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5681/jason-pierre-paul - RF

If that makes them all happy then OK but its hard to believe it when we all have seen how Perry loves to mix things up.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Andrew Brandt is their guru and he's pretty knowledgeable. This is also being reported by Rotoworld

Brandt is a business guy (ex-GM) ... not a guy qualified to comment on position changes.

That and the move makes no sense ... Tuck is struggling at the strong side ... he'd be horrible from the weak side (his pass rush isn't the strong side of his game). The only thing I could think of if they attempt this, is that Tuck's run defense was awful last year as well (in which case, why is he even on the team still?!).

JPP could play anywhere on the line.

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 08:32 AM

JPP could play serviceably anywhere on the defense... about the only thing he couldn't do is cover pure speed receivers.

And honestly, with a little bit of practice, he could probably play a couple offense positons like TE and RB as well...

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Brandt is a business guy (ex-GM) ... not a guy qualified to comment on position changes.

That and the move makes no sense ... Tuck is struggling at the strong side ... he'd be horrible from the weak side (his pass rush isn't the strong side of his game). The only thing I could think of if they attempt this, is that Tuck's run defense was awful last year as well (in which case, why is he even on the team still?!).

The question was about the site being reliable, which it is.

NorwoodBlue
03-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Kiwi will probably figure in as a pass rusher quite a bit. JPP coming from the left, and Kiwi from the right could be nice. Nascar will probably slide Tuck down to DT, and leave Jenkins in. Might actually work pretty well.

The big thing is Tuck needs to A) stay healthy, and B) stay enthused.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
The question was about the site being reliable, which it is.

Ah yeah ... I wouldn't argue that.

I just don't see Tuck playing the weak side nor do I see him holding up for a "majority" of the defensive snaps given his physical history.

I do expect to see more Kiwi and/or whoever they draft (I think they're going DE in the first this year now).

NorwoodBlue
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I find it hard to believe that no one has hypothesized so far that Tuck is being moved to the right to let Ojomo get more playing time.

Sorry, I just had to bring up Ojomo's name. It's been a while since we've had an Ojomo the savior thread.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I find it hard to believe that no one has hypothesized so far that Tuck is being moved to the right to let Ojomo get more playing time.

Sorry, I just had to bring up Ojomo's name. It's been a while since we've had an Ojomo the savior thread.

You think Ojomo is going to take snaps from JPP?!

ryan12
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
in theroy it makes sense lets see how it plays out on the field

JJC7301
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Nothing wrong with trying something new. The DL sure could use some new talent, and maybe new schemes.

NorwoodBlue
03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
You think Ojomo is going to take snaps from JPP?!

Well the idea was to take them from Tuck; but it was a sarcastic remark. any time the defense sputtered during the season, Ojomo was immedaitely the answer for a bunch of posters.

Redeyejedi
03-18-2013, 05:43 PM
The Nascar is dead , Haunted by the Ghost of Justin Tuck

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 05:46 PM
I say 3 games before tuck puts the word out that he's playing hurt , and that's the reason why he's playing like shet !!!