PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody please explain to me......?

bryan_kilmeade
03-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Can someone please explain what the rule is with a player who is tendered being signed without the offer being matched. What I am talking about is the Victor Cruz situation of course. Lets say hypothetically, he is signed by the Colts and the Giants choose not to match. Would the Giants get the Colts 1st round pick along with their own, or would they keep just their pick because it is higher than the Colts pick. I read in a few articles actually, that the Giants wouldn't get 2 1st round picks, they would just get the higher of the 2 picks, but that would make the draft pick compensation virtually pointless, which makes no sense. Also, if I am correct, who would get the Colts 1st rd pick if the Giants only keep their own.

Sorry if this isn't clear, if anybody is having trouble understanding what I'm asking, I will try my best to clarify.

Thanks

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
The Giants would get the Colts' first round pick in addition to their own.

bryan_kilmeade
03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Here is an article by Ralph Vacchiano...

Here is a quick primer on what the first-round tender for Victor Cruz means and how it works ...Victor Cruz, a restricted free agent, received a "first-round tender" from the Giants. That means, when he signs it, he'll have a one-year contract worth $2.879 million for 2013.

Before he signs it, though, he has from March 12 to April 19 to solicit better offers -- like a long-term contract -- from other teams. If he gets one he likes, he signs an "offer sheet".

Once he does, the Giants have five days to decide whether they want to match the offer. They'd have to match it exactly as written. Same salaries, same bonuses, same everything. If they do, Cruz is their's and the "offer sheet" becomes his contract. If they don't, Cruz signs the sheet/contract with the other team, and that team would then give the Giants their first-round pick in the 2013 draft *****(If they have two first-round picks, they'd surrender whatever their original pick was).*****

Cruz does not have to solicit offers. At any point, he can sign his tender. He can also continue to negotiate -- and eventually sign -- a long-term deal with the Giants.

After April 19, Cruz is out of options because he can no longer solicit offers. So he can sign the contract or not play in 2013.

I added the stars to point out what I was referring to

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 01:23 PM
The reference to two fist round picks has to do with the team presenting the offfer sheet, not the team tendering the player. Most teams have a first round pick decided by where the ranked the previous season. A team acquiring another first round pick has two (obviously) but the normal first round pick of the team presenting the offer sheet would belong to the team losing the player

bryan_kilmeade
03-17-2013, 03:16 PM
The reference to two fist round picks has to do with the team presenting the offfer sheet, not the team tendering the player. Most teams have a first round pick decided by where the ranked the previous season. A team acquiring another first round pick has two (obviously) but the normal first round pick of the team presenting the offer sheet would belong to the team losing the player

ok that makes much more sense thank you

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 03:19 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4MEt6cV21UHBg_t5VAx9O-Fz8TUgQh9bbPS2Z1IKT-KFC02gVFQ

ANON837
03-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Here is a quick primer on what the first-round tender for Victor Cruz means and how it works ...Victor Cruz, a restricted free agent, received a "first-round tender" from the Giants. That means, when he signs it, he'll have a one-year contract worth $2.879 million for 2013.

Before he signs it, though, he has from March 12 to April 19 to solicit better offers -- like a long-term contract -- from other teams. If he gets one he likes, he signs an "offer sheet".

Once he does, the Giants have five days to decide whether they want to match the offer. They'd have to match it exactly as written. Same salaries, same bonuses, same everything. If they do, Cruz is their's and the "offer sheet" becomes his contract. If they don't, Cruz signs the sheet/contract with the other team, and that team would then give the Giants their first-round pick in the 2013 draft *****(If they have two first-round picks, they'd surrender whatever their original pick was).*****

Cruz does not have to solicit offers. At any point, he can sign his tender. He can also continue to negotiate -- and eventually sign -- a long-term deal with the Giants.

After April 19, Cruz is out of options because he can no longer solicit offers. So he can sign the contract or not play in 2013.

Much appreciated!!

G-Men Surg.
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM

That Ralph's article explains it all.

miked1958
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
yea a team having two like in the case of the Rams who were one of the teams rumored to be interested in Cruz had their own pick based off their ranking last year which was pick #16 and one they aquired through a Trade with another team, pick # 23. In this case the Giants would get their original pick which means they would draft at 16 and 19...

I think the other team that also had two first round picks that was in the running but dropped out was the Vikes. IN the case of the Colts they only have 1 pick. Their original pick which i think is like at 26... so if they took Cruz we would draft at 19 and 26 for example

miked1958
03-17-2013, 04:43 PM
another note which may have been mentioned is that the Colts already surrendered their 2nd round pick in a prior Trade, so if they were to go after Cruz they would not have a pick this season in the First 2 rounds. Not likely that they would do that i dont think