PDA

View Full Version : I genuinely believe...

UKAnt14
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
...that we will match any offer sheet given to Victor Cruz. We want to keep him here but because he's a RFA we have a chance to keep him for just $2 million - which means we can keep our roster as it is.However, I do believe that if a team were to come in with an offer, we would match it, whatever the cost. Just a gut feeling.

ozzie0075
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
...that we will match any offer sheet given to Victor Cruz. We want to keep him here but because he's a RFA we have a chance to keep him for just $2 million - which means we can keep our roster as it is.However, I do believe that if a team were to come in with an offer, we would match it, whatever the cost. Just a gut feeling.

I disagree the Giants are willing to match up to a certain point but their has to be a limit. If someone wants to pay Cruz 10mil+ I firmly believe they will and should walk away.

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I genuinely hope you are correct

BlueSanta
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Your Gut is wrong simply because the Giants cannot match "any offer.'

I do think the management is very sincere when they say they want to resign/ match him. But the circumstances are what they are.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 08:55 PM
I disagree the Giants are willing to match up to a certain point but their has to be a limit. If someone wants to pay Cruz 10mil+ I firmly believe they will and should walk away.

No one is going to offer Cruz $10M

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
No way. If a team offers up a front-loaded deal with $10 million the first year, the Giants are not going to match it.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Your Gut is wrong simply because the Giants cannot match "any offer.'

I do think the management is very sincere when they say they want to resign/ match him. But the circumstances are what they are.

John Mara has said they have the "wherewithal to match almost any offer" but will not break the bank. I believe they will match up to $8M but no more.

cornerback30
03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
I do believe they are just waiting for an offer to see if its at 6 are over and I think they will settle for the pick myself.I think if Cruz wanted 6mil and the Giants were comfortable at 6 a deal would have been done by now.The whole thing just don't sit to well with me man,I think if he gets an pretty good offer he's outta here,hopefully other teams wont bite

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 08:58 PM
John Mara has said they have the "wherewithal to match almost any offer" but will not break the bank. I believe they will match up to $8M but no more.

so if a team goes 8.5 Giants won't match?

Sean Montemayor
03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I hope and pray that we keep Cruz for a long time. He is a wonderful player, but also a great person for going and visiting Jack Pinto's family. That made me love him even more as a player because he showed his true character that day.

BlueSanta
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM

That could be true. i do not know the numbers, nobody outside the management does. But, I know we dont have as much of it as a lot of teams out there. So people can make offers that we cant match. I just hope it doesnt happen, I like Cruz a lot.But, I still have to take the stance that we have a serious problem next year when it comes time to resign some big names and overpaying isnt an option.

YATittle1962
03-17-2013, 09:04 PM

didn't Mara say something like ....there won't be any Haynesworth type deals out of them ?
or something like that

I think that is a poor thing to say on his part.

Victor has been a huge asset to this team and pretty much single handedly made a trip to the tournament possible.

I back his statement when the player is lazy like Albert......but a player like Cruz deserves a deep pocket reach by the Giants

they need to do the right thing and pay the man

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
so if a team goes 8.5 Giants won't match?

I don't think so. They do draw lines they don't like to waiver, but that's the real benefit of having Condon as Cruz's agent. If Victor really wants to be HERE, Condon is the best guy to make it happen. We have already seen the teams that were "lined up" disappear like a rain puddle in August. Now it's being reported it's not going to be Irsay either.

I continue to believe they will sign Victor to a long term deal before UFA comes. It would not surprise me if it happened in the next 30 days.

TCHOF
03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
didn't Mara say something like ....there won't be any Haynesworth type deals out of them ?
or something like that

Victor has been a huge asset to this team and pretty much single handedly made a trip to the tournament possible.

I back his statement when the player is lazy like Albert......but a player like Cruz deserves a deep pocket reach by the Giants

Strange statement by Mara, since it is my recollection that the Giants were ready to pony up huge money for Haynseworth . . . just not as much as the Redskins.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
or something like that

Yes, but in the context of $100M. I think John Mara has sent the right signals to Cruz via his public comments. The week before Mara's comments on the deal they were prepared to offer, Cruz spoke with TC at the TIMEX Center. TC is like a father figure to his players and one who lost his Dad might well look to him for fatherly conversation. Right after Mara's comments, Cruz fires his agent and hires Eli's agent, Tom Condon. It was reported Cruz wan ted someone who could work better with the Giants.

We can speculate about what actually caused the agent split, but having Condon makes me believe Cruz wants fair treatment and that's what Condon will get him. Players always ask for too much, just like labor unions.

We fans tend to take a dim view of that but why shouldn't a player ask for the moon? Everyone knows it's not going to happen but it gives a cellar and ceiling between the demand and the offer. I have no doubt they genuinely want Cruz here long term with Nicks and Eli. The stage is now set and Condon knows what Reese buttons he can push to get the biggest bang for the busk without being heavy handed.

I see a deal worth between $7-8M working for all concerned.

TCHOF
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM

If a team makes an offer, it will be one that is designed so that we can't match it. Since we have very little room under this year's cap, a team making an offer would know that if they front-load a bunch of money, we would have a difficult time matching.

Flip Empty
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Strange statement by Mara, since it is my recollection that the Giants were ready to pony up huge money for Haynseworth . . . just not as much as the Redskins.

I wish the owners would just not talk. Stay behind the scenes.

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:13 PM

They were not ready to part with $100M for Fat Albert

Hooligans

No, that will not happen.....the first round draft choice is more valuable, and the Giants will pounce on it.

RoanokeFan
I wish the owners would just not talk. Stay behind the scenes.

I usually agree, but in this case it seems to be the catalyst that got Cruz more personally involved.

jaxnygmen
03-17-2013, 09:15 PM
I disagree. The giants are not going to break the bank to keep him. Especially with Hakeem's contract up next year. I think the giants will stand pretty close to the deal that is offered. Some where like 6-7 million a year. That is going rate for slot WR.

jomo
03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Strange statement by Mara, since it is my recollection that the Giants were ready to pony up huge money for Haynseworth . . . just not as much as the Redskins.lol What impeccable source did you hear that from? This is an example of.........................

TCHOF
03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
They were not ready to part with $100M for Fat Albert

That's what I said . . . but I recall that they were willing to pony up $50M+. Not exactly sure that my recollection is right though . . .

EDIT: According to this article, we offered Haynesworth $80M.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/new-redskins-dt-albert-haynesworth-giants-offered-80-million-article-1.366098

That's why Mara's statement seems strange to me.

Hooligans
03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Time to face reality boys......Cruz is now more valuable as one who gets another first round draft choice for the Giants this year, than as a WR. After Cruz is gone, the Giants will move quickly to sign Nicks long-term. By October, all on this board will be celebrating this move. I think Reese played this one perfectly.

TCHOF
03-17-2013, 09:19 PM
lol What impeccable source did you hear that from? This is an example of.........................

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/new-redskins-dt-albert-haynesworth-giants-offered-80-million-article-1.366098

jomo
03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/new-redskins-dt-albert-haynesworth-giants-offered-80-million-article-1.366098.............so what you're saying is that Albert Haynseworth is your source? Now that is hysterical. Just playing around since the Giants are doing a nice job in this free agent season. Seriously though, read the article, they are quoting none other than Fat Albert himself as the source. He's about as credible as Dennis Rodman eh??

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:23 PM
That's what I said . . . but I recall that they were willing to pony up $50M+. Not exactly sure that my recollection is right though . . .

EDIT: According to this article, we offered Haynesworth $80M.

That's why Mara's statement seems strange to me.

That might have been the rumor, but I doubt anyone connected with the Giants would have said that publicly

Captain Chaos
03-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Take the first round pick and run!

jomo
That mioght have been the rumor, but I doubt anyone connected with the Giants would have said that publiclyRead the article RF, they quote Haynseworth as the source.

RoanokeFan

That's how Haynesworth got Snyder to pay through his ***

Carter.525
03-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Take the first round pick and run!

I rather have the sure bet in Cruz.. a pick is a guess

RoanokeFan
03-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Read the article RF, they quote Haynseworth as the source.

See my answer below :)

Hooligans

Not me.....I would take the first round pick......and thank my lucky stars!

TCHOF
That's how Haynesworth got Snyder to pay through his ***

I guess it's possible that Haynesworth lied about the number, but it's also pretty clear, as I said in my previous post, that the Giants pursued him and were willing to pay big money. What they were willing to offer or did offer, I guess we'll never know.

EDIT: Just found this quote by JR denying the $80M number, but confirming that the Giants made him a "good offer".

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/1499/reese-we-dipped-our-toe-in-the-haynesworth-bidding

Buddy333
03-17-2013, 09:42 PM
I disagree the Giants are willing to match up to a certain point but their has to be a limit. If someone wants to pay Cruz 10mil+ I firmly believe they will and should walk away.This sounds right.

Drez
03-17-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't think we'll go over $8m/yr avg. However, it really will depend on how the contract is structured. If there's a team out that that's super desperate with a ton of cap room, it's possible that even if the average salary falls within our range that they offer something that we cannot afford this ​year.

Drez
03-17-2013, 11:36 PM
That might have been the rumor, but I doubt anyone connected with the Giants would have said that publiclyAll of the beats quote that number, too. I'd imagine they all have better sources than Fat Al himself.

StrahanSoup92
03-18-2013, 12:34 AM

As discussed in a million other threads, yeh this is looking the ceiling for Cruz.

StrahanSoup92
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM
No one is going to offer cruz over 8m and give us a 1st rounder, no way. Fans need to drop this subject already, Cruz isnt going anywhere and these discussions are just becomming silly.

B&RWarrior
03-18-2013, 12:41 AM
I say let him walk for anything over $7 million.

EJ Blue
03-18-2013, 12:53 AM
As a RFA, he's not going anywhere. I 100% guarantee it. He'll be back this year.

But I feel Cruz won't be here long term because the Giants like drafting to replace people. I hope I'm wrong.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 12:55 AM
No one is going to offer cruz over 8m and give us a 1st rounder, no way. Fans need to drop this subject already, Cruz isnt going anywhere and these discussions are just becomming silly.
While it's unlikely, you just don't know. Look at what the Seahawks gave up for Percy Harvin.

If a team is desperate, they'll eat the cost.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 03:23 AM

We can only hope.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:57 AM

This is very true