PDA

View Full Version : Out of all the FA we've picked up off the scrap heap...

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 04:30 AM
...how many will actually pan out? I'm quite excited at this actually, because if even 2 or 3 of these guys pan out and are real workhorses, it will be a great triumph. And if JR has any particular skill that sets him apart from other GMs, it's finding value in perceived "clunkers". Honestly, how many of you guys exactly 1 year ago would have known Andre, Stevie, or Hill would have contributed the way they did? How many people even knew all 3 names?

Captain Chaos
03-18-2013, 05:35 AM
This is typical Reese, looks to fill holes with serviceable veteran players and heads into the draft with the ability to select the best player available. If one or two of those players pan out then great.

GentleGiant
03-18-2013, 06:06 AM
Myers, Murphy, and Jenkins.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 07:47 AM

And Connor and Mundy.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Jenkins I think will have the biggest impact because he is in a important position in our d, Connor will be solid if he stays healthy. Murphy will get a shot on st because I don't see Wilson running back kicks as often this year. Myers is intriguing, I don't know a lot about him but he seems more like a flex te then an inline type guy we would usually use.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:15 AM
...how many will actually pan out? I'm quite excited at this actually, because if even 2 or 3 of these guys pan out and are real workhorses, it will be a great triumph. And if JR has any particular skill that sets him apart from other GMs, it's finding value in perceived "clunkers". Honestly, how many of you guys exactly 1 year ago would have known Andre, Stevie, or Hill would have contributed the way they did? How many people even knew all 3 names?

Myers and Jenkins are hardly clunkers (and I think we may have gotten a steal with Jenkins).

Connor, Mundy and Murphy are low key depth, and not locks to even make the 53 man roster. Having said that, I could see any or all making big impacts on this team. Reese is fairly good at culling the cream from these types of signings.

It's with the big signings that he's not the swiftest with and having said that, he's still got 2 SBs under his belt so who are we to judge?

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Myers and Jenkins are hardly clunkers (and I think we may have gotten a steal with Jenkins).

Connor, Mundy and Murphy are low key depth, and not locks to even make the 53 man roster. Having said that, I could see any or all making big impacts on this team. Reese is fairly good at culling the cream from these types of signings.

It's with the big signings that he's not the swiftest with and having said that, he's still got 2 SBs under his belt so who are we to judge?

I definitely like the Connor pick and hope it pans out even if only for this year. Maybe that means we don't have to draft bloody Ogletree, even though the furor over this headcase isn't dying down at all on the draft boards... now they just say "let him develop for a year under Connor", still ignoring the fact that he's a freaking headcase...

GameTime
03-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I like Jenkins and Meyers...
the others are a wait and see......

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 08:27 AM

looks like an Irish law firm

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
looks like an Irish law firm

So THAT's why he signed all of them on St. Patrick's Day weekend...

NorwoodBlue
03-18-2013, 08:35 AM
I like the Connors pick-up too. He has some speed, and he plays tough in the middle. Now the question is: do they draft an MLB? I think it would make sense to do that; but there's an institutational mentality right now that the run stopping MLB isn't very important and probably is little more than a situational player who's on the field about half the time. They've been totally unwilling to spend a high draft pick on one before, and I doubt they'll go after a MLB in the early rounds this year.

I think they're basically saying Connors is good enough, and we'll spend our resources elsewhere. Which I guess I can live with if they pick up some game changers in the draft. I think Connors is an upgrade at MLB; but not a big one. Jacquan Williams really is the stud LB right now, and maybe Rivers can fill in the other side. Not exactly a bunch of household names; but it might be a servicable LB corp. The bottom line is they didn't break the bank, and it loks like they shored thinks up a little bit at LB.

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 08:38 AM
I like the Connors pick-up too. He has some speed, and he plays tough in the middle. Now the question is: do they draft an MLB? I think it would make sense to do that; but there's an institutational mentality right now that the run stopping MLB isn't very important and probably is little more than a situational player who's on the field about half the time. They've been totally unwilling to spend a high draft pick on one before, and I doubt they'll go after a MLB in the early rounds this year.

I think they're basically saying Connors is good enough, and we'll spend our resources elsewhere. Which I guess I can live with if they pick up some game changers in the draft. I think Connors is an upgrade at MLB; but not a big one. Jacquan Williams really is the stud LB right now, and maybe Rivers can fill in the other side. Not exactly a bunch of household names; but it might be a servicable LB corp. The bottom line is they didn't break the bank, and it loks like they shored thinks up a little bit at LB.

The philsophy is what JR has always done: fill the holes in FA, and then draft BPA. He doesn't like to be tied to having to pick a particular position in a particular round. Jenkins was signed to replace Canty, Connors to replace Blackburn (although Blackburn might come back as a backup, not sure), Myers to replace Bennett... etc. Now, none of those positions are in such a dire need that we absolutely NEED to pick up someone in round 1.

Also, a big run-stopping MLB really isn't 100% necessary in our defense, at least as long as we have DTs that can shed blocks and stop the run at the line. Given how often we run nickel packages (including 3 safety packages), the inside LB is often off the field...

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
So THAT's why he signed all of them on St. Patrick's Day weekend...

dang.. Connor too

NorwoodBlue
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
The philsophy is what JR has always done: fill the holes in FA, and then draft BPA. He doesn't like to be tied to having to pick a particular position in a particular round. Jenkins was signed to replace Canty, Connors to replace Blackburn (although Blackburn might come back as a backup, not sure), Myers to replace Bennett... etc. Now, none of those positions are in such a dire need that we absolutely NEED to pick up someone in round 1.

Also, a big run-stopping MLB really isn't 100% necessary in our defense, at least as long as we have DTs that can shed blocks and stop the run at the line. Given how often we run nickel packages (including 3 safety packages), the inside LB is often off the field...

Absolutely granted that everyone in the league plays a lot of situational defense, and the MLB doesn't have playing time like they used to. What concerns me is that we were victimized late in at least a couple of games because we had the MLB on the field and still couldn't stop the run. When the LB or DB are making the tackles 8-12 yards down field like that, you can kiss the game goodbye because the clock is running out so fast it isn't funny. That run stopping MLB is still important when somebody lines up with the intention of bringing it straight at you. I really would like to see the Giants stop passing over good MLB in the draft to reach for other players.