PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Tisch Predicts Victor Cruz Will Get More Money Than Wes Welker

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/cruz-catch-big-offer-article-1.12915

Excerpt: "Giants co-owner Steve Tisch may have cost himself some money when he predicted restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Victor+Cruz) will get more than the $6 million per year that Wes Welker is getting from Denver.

“I think Victor is going to get a little higher than that,” Tisch said Sunday at the opening of the NFL meetings.

Welker, who signed a two-year $12 million deal, and Cruz are both slot receivers. Welker was replaced in New England by Danny Amendola, whose five-year $31 million deal averages $6.2 million per year. The market for slot receivers is down compared to receivers who play on the outside. Miami signed outside WR Mike Wallace to a five-year $60 million deal.

Tisch admitted he’s “anxious” as he believes “it’s possible, maybe even probable,” that Cruz will get an offer sheet that the Giants will then have to decide whether to match or take a first-round pick as compensation. “What’s between possible and probable? Likely,” Tisch said.

The Rams could be the team that makes a run at Cruz. They have two first-round picks. So do the Vikings, but they just signed Greg Jennings.

Cruz recently hired Tom Condon as his agent and Tisch said the five-day window before new agents are allowed to negotiate for their new clients expired Friday. That means Condon, who also represents Eli Manning and has an excellent relationship with the Giants, can begin negotiating on a long-term deal with Big Blue to replace the $2.879 million tender or with any team willing to pay Cruz and also give up the first-round pick. Cruz has until April 19 to present an offer sheet to the Giants.

Tisch had dinner with Cruz two weeks ago but feels it would be inappropriate for him to talk to the receiver during this process.

“The situation is he’s a very desirable athlete,” Tisch said. “I’d love him to be a Giant. I’d love him to be a lifer as a Giant.” Read more...

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
And here Jerry Reese thought he only had to worry about Tom Condon lol

I don't think this is that big a deal since they've already put an offer on the table but Reese needs to be able to maneuver without all of these Peanut Gallery distratractions.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I think him saying this isn't a big deal, he is already saying what most people know, that VC is going to get more than 6 mil a year. Doesn't Tom Condon also represent Sam Bradford?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Now here's something to ponder. Victor has said he'd like to go into broadcasting or acting after football. Do you think Steve Tisch might be able to help him with that since he's a TV and movie producer?????

Tisch could talk about that with Victor all he wants.

It seems clear they do want Victor here long term and the full court press is on.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:05 AM
I think him saying this isn't a big deal, he is already saying what most people know, that VC is going to get more than 6 mil a year. Doesn't Tom Condon also represent Sam Bradford?

I don't know the answer to Condon and Bradford but he represents a lot of players.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
He does. He also represents Peyton, Eli, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Adrian Peterson, among others - all guys who've landed massive deals.

He'll get Cruz a big contract.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
He does. He also represents Peyton, Eli, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford and Adrian Peterson, among others - all guys who've landed massive deals.

Clearly bigger than Welker :)

And I think that's appropriate

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Clearly bigger than Welker :)

And I think that's appropriate

It's quite scary how much power he has, his clients' contracts have a habit of crippling their teams' caps.

No wonder Belichick keeps his distance.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:33 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the Giants already offered Cruz the same or more.

Redeyejedi
03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the Giants already offered Cruz the same or more. I heard somewhere they offered 5 years 30 million

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input, Tisch. Forrest Gump was great, Tisch. You're awesome, Tisch.

Now stop talking to the media.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
It's quite scary how much power he has, his clients' contracts have a habit of crippling their teams' caps.

No wonder Belichick keeps his distance.

I don't know that it's "power" as much as an ability to talk with teams knowing what their habits are, knowing what his clients bring to the table and, most importantly, doesn't make demands he knows he can't win. That the Giants appreciate him is very significant.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the input, Tisch. Forrest Gump was great, Tisch. You're awesome, Tisch.

Now stop talking to the media.

That's would have been a Reese email last night lol

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:51 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the Giants already offered Cruz the same or more.

Surely more than Welker so the $7-8M scenario seems to have been right the target range

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I heard somewhere they offered 5 years 30 million

I think a lot of people are operating under the assumption that's about what they offered Cruz (not confirmed anywhere of course).

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I heard somewhere they offered 5 years 30 million

That might be true, knowing it was going to be higher. A smart strategy.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Surely more than Welker so the $7-8M scenario seems to have been the target range

I'm almost positive that had the Giants offered him a $8M/year contract before FA started, Cruz wouldn't be an RFA right now.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm almost positive that had the Giants offered him a $8M/year contract before FA started, Cruz wouldn't be an RFA right now.

I don't think they would have started there as that really creates your floor. Once the employer establishes the floor, they know it's only going to go up.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I honestly do think what Tisch can do for Cruz beyond football may well be what no other team could match and what will seal the deal even though there won't be a line in the contract about it.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't think they would have started there as that really creates your floor. Once the employer establishes the floor, they know it's only going to go up.

Of course. The RFA tender alone pretty much puts the Giants in the driver's seat barring some team vastly over reaching for Cruz.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
I honestly do think what Tisch can do for Cruz beyond football may well be what no other team could match and what will seal the deal even though there won't be a line in the contract about it.

I'm sure Tom Condon is pimping that exact thing to Cruz.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 09:01 AM

I only asked because I have seen some posts and articles saying it could help the Giants because he also represents Eli. But if the rumors are true about the rams, it could also hurt the giants and help the rams. Personally I don't think it matters either way, an agent wants to get the most money for his player possible so the agent can land bigger clients.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm sure Tom Condon is pimping that exact thing to Cruz.

Tisch has already taken care of that I'm sure. Victor is likeable, humble, articulate, charismatic, local boy making good. But Condon will take advantage of that without a doubt. How many players go to dinner with the owners?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I only asked because I have seen some posts and articles saying it could help the Giants because he also represents Eli. But if the rumors are true about the rams, it could also hurt the giants and help the rams. Personally I don't think it matters either way, an agent wants to get the most money for his player possible so the agent can land bigger clients..

Condon is not going to help the Giants but neither is he going to antagonize them which I believe his predecessor was doing

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Not buying that Cruz will stay because of a broadcast career. You don't need to be in NY to have a broadcast career after football.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Not buying that Cruz will stay because of a broadcast career. You don't need to be in NY to have a broadcast career after football.

Pay attention young man. It's not about NY, it's about Tisch. Tisch can open doors for Cruz no matter where he is playing football. But would Tisch be so Cruz friendlly if Victor went to St, Louis? There isn't another team on the planet with that to offer. Cruz is smart enough to know football if going to end sooner rather than later.

He will stay becasue he wants to stay and will be making good money.

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 09:23 AM
So there is only one man that can give him a broadcasting career?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:24 AM
So there is only one man that can give him a broadcasting career?

OK, just disagree. If you can't see the advantage to having Tisch in your corner, then you can't

GameTime
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
either way just get it done so we can all move forward..........

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
either way just get it done so we can all move forward..........

I'm working on it

GameTime
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm working on it
come on Ro......you are slacking...:)

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
OK, just disagree. If you can't see the advantage to having Tisch in your corner, then you can'tNo need to get mad. Just saying if you have a great personality like Cruz he will do just fine without playing in NY. He has a great personality, his famous TD salsa dance, and he is one of very few Latino players in the NFL. If he continues to have a great career people will be lining up to have him broadcast no matter where he plays.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
come on Ro......you are slacking...:)

Do you kow how hard it is to get these guys to return calls?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
No need to get mad. Just saying if you have a great personality like Cruz he will do just fine without playing in NY. He has a great personality, his famous TD salsa dance, and he is one of very few Latino players in the NFL. If he continues to have a great career people will be lining up to have him broadcast no matter where he plays.

I'm not mad. You disagree, that's what this place is all about. I've been around long enough to be able to say with certainty it's not what you know, it's who you know.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 09:33 AM

Its a good point, Tisch can make it easier for doors to open in other areas after football.

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Knowing people doesn't hurt, but it helps more when you are not as dynamic as Cruz.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Knowing people doesn't hurt, but it helps more when you are not as dynamic as Cruz.

There is a lot going on regarding Cruz. The team isn't going to break the bank to keep him. Having Tisch and his contacts in the background is a deal sweetner, that's all I'm saying.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Cruz and Tisch do seem to have common interests out side of football.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:45 AM

I'm a little surprised Tisch said he had dinner with Cruz.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 09:48 AM

You think they salsa at the same clubs? ;)

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
You think they salsa at the same clubs? ;)

I'm thinking Tisch would slip a disc :p

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 09:50 AM
There is a lot going on regarding Cruz. The team isn't going to break the bank to keep him. Having Tisch and his contacts in the background is a deal sweetner, that's all I'm saying.Sure, just saying that if a team comes up with $8 million a year and the Giants are only offering $6 for let's say a 5 year contract that's a lot of money.

miked1958
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm a little surprised Tisch said he had dinner with Cruz.seems strange an owner would open his mouth like that ( especially a Giants owner ) and give out info that can't help the situation IMO. You'd think he'd know better then that. Maybe he is taking lessons from Jerry

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Sure, just saying that if a team comes up with $8 million a year and the Giants are only offering $6 for let's say a 5 year contract that's a lot of money.

It is a lot of money, to be sure. But we already know the Giants are going higher than $6M. How high may only depend on offer sheets if there are any, which I still don't think is going to happen. If Cruz gets an offer sheet under $8M, I believe the Giants will match

miked1958
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Maybe he went to the Class called "Jerry Jones 101, an NFL Owners guide on how to conduct yourself"

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
seems strange an owner would open his mouth like that ( especially a Giants owner ) and give out info that can't help the situation IMO. You'd think he'd know better then that. Maybe he is taking lessons from Jerry

We've had comments from TC, John Mara, Reese, and now Tisch. Of all of them, Tisch is the one we just don't hear from a lot especially in terms of player contracts.. I think we're watching the full court press in action. Will it work? Stay tuned.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Sure, just saying that if a team comes up with $8 million a year and the Giants are only offering $6 for let's say a 5 year contract that's a lot of money.
It also depends on the guaranteed portion of the contract. Say team x will guarantee 15 mil and the giants guarantee 20 mil I would think that has more weight then the total value of the deal.

miked1958
03-18-2013, 09:55 AM
It is a lot of money, to be sure. But we already know the Giants are going higher than $6M. How high may only depend on offer sheets if there are any, which I still don't think is going to happen. If Cruz gets an offer sheet under $8M, I believe the Giants will matchyep... But I don't see them going higher then that. If someone does, then start redoing the Mocks cause we will have another Pick

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
The other problem is that there have been reports that Nicks is their first priority. If that's true and be has a good season how much is he going to cost if they pay Cruz in the are of $8 million?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
It also depends on the guaranteed portion of the contract. Say team x will guarantee 15 mil and the giants guarantee 20 mil I would think that has more weight then the total value of the deal.

We also have to remember that Cruz/Condon don't have to accept any offer sheets that might be presented.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
The other problem is that there have been reports that Nicks is their first priority. If that's true and be has a good season how much is he going to cost if they pay Cruz in the are of $8 million?

Those reports were debunked by both Reese and Mara.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
yep... But I don't see them going higher then that. If someone does, then start redoing the Mocks cause we will have another Pick

I don't see them going any higher than 8 in salary. But the guarantee could increase

giantsfam04
We also have to remember that Cruz/Condon don't have to accept any offer sheets that might be presented.

Here is another thought, does Cruz pull a Mike Wallace? It worked out pretty well for Wallace I would say?

titwio
Will they just sign him already.... I'm dying to start my new kickass Nicks, Cruz and Randle signature.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Will they just sign him already.... I'm dying to start my new kickass Nicks, Cruz and Randle signature.

All in due time

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Here is another thought, does Cruz pull a Mike Wallace? It worked out pretty well for Wallace I would say?

We won't know until it's over

titwio
03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
All in due time

Screw the players and owners needs. We're talking real life fandom problems here. Sigs need to be made....This is SERIOUS stuff.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Screw the players and owners needs. We're talking real life fandom problems here. Sigs need to be made....This is SERIOUS stuff.

LMAO I feel your pain

Harooni
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
i'm not sure what Tisch means when he said " I'm really hopeful that I think Victor emotionally would like to stay with the Giants. I don't know if that's a tangible factor. I hope it is when you make a decision like this.''

So he is saying if Cruzs gets an offer he should refuse it and play for his tendered only amount or is he saying sign a deal now with the Giants???

Morehead State
03-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm sticking to my original prediction that Cruz with get 4 or 5 years and $25 to $28MM.

From us of course.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:10 AM
i'm not sure what Tisch means when he said " I'm really hopeful that I think Victor emotionally would like to stay with the Giants. I don't know if that's a tangible factor. I hope it is when you make a decision like this.''

So he is saying if Cruzs gets an offer he should refuse it and play for his tendered only amount or is he saying sign a deal now with the Giants???

Tisch isn't talking about the tender offer. He's talking about the long term contract already offered to Cruz.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm sticking to my original prediction that Cruz with get 4 or 5 years and $25 to $28MM.

From us of course.

You really think he's going to get less than Amendola?

Morehead State
03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
You really think he's going to get less than Amendola?
Don't know exactly what Amendola got but he was unrestricted. Cruz is looking at $2.75MM and then going FA next year. A lot can happen in a NFL season, including a serious injury.
We are in the driver's seat assuming no offer is made by another team.
For $13 to $15MM guaranteed?.....Yes I think its very possible.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Don't know exactly what Amendola got but he was unrestricted. Cruz is looking at $2.75MM and then going FA next year. A lot can happen in a NFL season, including a serious injury.
We are in the driver's seat assuming no offer is made by another team.
For $13 to $15MM guaranteed?.....Yes I think its very possible.

We may be in the driver's seat, but we already offered Cruz a long term deal. The tender offer is a fall back, but that's not what they're talking about with Cruz/Condon.

Amendola got just over $6M

Harooni
03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Tisch isn't talking about the tender offer. He's talking about the long term contract already offered to Cruz. thx RO thats what i thought d, do we know how much they offered?

Morehead State
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
We may be in the driver's seat, but we already offered Cruz a long term deal. The tender offer is a fall back, but that's not what they're talking about with Cruz/Condon.

Amendola got just over $6M
OK I just looked up Amendola's deal. He got about $10MM guaranteed. Now don't forget, he's unrestricted. Cruz can get probably $13MM or more guaranteed. And he's restricted. He's still a Giant. He's looking at $2.75MM and then roll the dice. Or he could get $10MM or more right now.
Lets say its $28MM for 5 years. He could start with around $3MM this year plus the bonus. And escalate from there.
Maybe I'm a bit low but I don't think by much. Maybe it'll be around $30MM.
Now if he was unrestricted?...He would get much more than that. But alas.....he's not.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
thx RO thats what i thought d, do we know how much they offered?

No, they never reveal $$$. Mara said it would make Cruz "a very wealthy young man" and now Tisch has said "more than Welker." So we have a realistic ball park of $7 - 8M IMO

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:28 AM
OK I just looked up Amendola's deal. He got about $10MM guaranteed. Now don't forget, he's unrestricted. Cruz can get probably $13MM or more guaranteed. And he's restricted. He's still a Giant. He's looking at $2.75MM and then roll the dice. Or he could get $10MM or more right now.
Lets say its $28MM for 5 years. He could start with around $3MM this year plus the bonus. And escalate from there.
Maybe I'm a bit low but I don't think by much. Maybe it'll be around $30MM.
Now if he was unrestricted?...He would get much more than that. But alas.....he's not.

Tisch said Cruz will get more than Amendola which was $6M per for 2 years ALL guaranteed. Condon will get Cruz a decent payday with the Giants. 6yr/$42M, 18-20 guaranteed IMO

Morehead State
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Tisch said Cruz will get more than Amendola which was $6M per for 2 years ALL guaranteed
From what I read, his bonus is $6MM. His 2013 salary of $2MM is guaranteed. His salary is $3MM for 2014 with $2MM of that guaranteed. His salary then goes to $4MM, $5MM and $6MM for 2015-2017. (which he'll probably never see)
So that's $10MM guaranteed. ($6MM in bonus and $4MM in salary)

The Giants offer to Cruz will undoubtedly be much better than that. But I don't think it will be as much as you are predicting. (but my predicting skills suck)

Harooni
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
No, they never reveal $$$. Mara said it would make Cruz "a very wealthy young man" and now Tisch has said "more than Welker." So we have a realistic ball park of $7 - 8M IMO Nice, thanks again. i thouhgt he was saying that cruz would get an offer more than welker ,not that the giants offered him more.

boy oh boy this gets confusing, we can wait and see. lol

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
From what I read, his bonus is $6MM. His 2013 salary of $2MM is guaranteed. His salary is $3MM for 2014 with $2MM of that guaranteed. His salary then goes to $4MM, $5MM and $6MM for 2015-2017. (which he'll probably never see)
So that's $10MM guaranteed. ($6MM in bonus and $4MM in salary)

The Giants offer to Cruz will undoubtedly be much better than that. But I don't think it will be as much as you are predicting. (but my predicting skills suck)

This contract stuff is fascinating to me. All of the money is obscene but it's what we have created.

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
If they offer him a decent contact he could also start to think about Smith.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 12:22 PM
If they offer him a decent contact he could also start to think about Smith.

There is no comparison between the two. Smith was coming off a serious injury and hasn't been the same since. If you mean the pre-injury offer, Smith listened to his agent and thought it best to test FA. Those are decisions players make all the time. At the time, maybe Smith and his agent were right. In retrospect, they got bitten in the ***.

The key to all of the comings and goings is this. Cruz changed agents to be represented by someone who could work better with the Giants. No one knows, or will likely ever know, what triggered the change. Condon does not have to make a name for himself, works very well with Jerry Reese and has been complimented by John Mara and Steve Tisch.

I don't see many negatives in terms of Cruz being a long term Giant. There are no guarantees, but things seem to be pointing to a deal getting done .

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
There is no comparison between the two. Smith was coming off a serious injury and hasn't been the same since. If you mean the pre-injury offer, Smith listened to his agent and thought it best to test FA. Those are decisions players make all the time. At the time, maybe Smith and his agent were right. In retrospect, they got bitten in the ***.The key to all of the comings and goings is this. Cruz changed agents to be represented by someone who could work better with the Giants. No one knows, or will likely ever know, what triggered the change. Condon does not have to make a name for himself, works very well with Jerry Reese and has been complimented by John Mara and Steve Tisch.I don't see many negatives in terms of Cruz being a long term Giant. There are no guarantees, but things seem to be pointing to a deal getting done .Right, because it came back to bite Smith and his agent he might think of it that way. Not saying he will just sign any offer because he will think the same thing can happen to him, but if the deal is close enough be may think about what he could potentially lose.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Right, because it came back to bite Smith and his agent he might think of it that way. Not saying he will just sign any offer because he will think the same thing can happen to him, but if the deal is close enough be may think about what he could potentially lose.

Condon won't advise him to sign a bad offer. I still think there are more positive signs than negative that Cruz will get a long term deal

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I do think that the chances of him staying are better than not.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I do think that the chances of him staying are better than not.

You would be right

Roosevelt
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/cruz-catch-big-offer-article-1.12915

Excerpt: "Giants co-owner Steve Tisch may have cost himself some money when he predicted restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Victor+Cruz) will get more than the $6 million per year that Wes Welker is getting from Denver.

I think Victor is going to get a little higher than that, Tisch said Sunday at the opening of the NFL meetings.

Welker, who signed a two-year $12 million deal, and Cruz are both slot receivers. Welker was replaced in New England by Danny Amendola, whose five-year $31 million deal averages $6.2 million per year. The market for slot receivers is down compared to receivers who play on the outside. Miami signed outside WR Mike Wallace to a five-year $60 million deal.

Tisch admitted hes anxious as he believes its possible, maybe even probable, that Cruz will get an offer sheet that the Giants will then have to decide whether to match or take a first-round pick as compensation. Whats between possible and probable? Likely, Tisch said.

The Rams could be the team that makes a run at Cruz. They have two first-round picks. So do the Vikings, but they just signed Greg Jennings.

Cruz recently hired Tom Condon as his agent and Tisch said the five-day window before new agents are allowed to negotiate for their new clients expired Friday. That means Condon, who also represents Eli Manning and has an excellent relationship with the Giants, can begin negotiating on a long-term deal with Big Blue to replace the $2.879 million tender or with any team willing to pay Cruz and also give up the first-round pick. Cruz has until April 19 to present an offer sheet to the Giants.

Tisch had dinner with Cruz two weeks ago but feels it would be inappropriate for him to talk to the receiver during this process.

The situation is hes a very desirable athlete, Tisch said. Id love him to be a Giant. Id love him to be a lifer as a Giant. Read more...

What the hell is wrong with this man?

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
What the hell is wrong with this man?

I don't think it's that outlandish since many here have been saying the same thing. It is interesting that Steve Tisch said anything about a contract negotiation though. It will be interesting to see how things unfold with Condon on board.

Morehead State
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I don't think it's that outlandish since many here have been saying the same thing. It is interesting that Steve Tisch said anything about a contract negotiation though. It will be interesting to see how things unfold with Condon on board.
Nothing he said will have any effect on Cruz' contract.
If anything it expresses that we think highly of him.
Negotiations aren't......"I'm great, I'm worth this / no you're not, you suck and you're only worth this."

jomo
03-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure that Tisch is flying in formation. He needs to zip it.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Nothing he said will have any effect on Cruz' contract.
If anything it expresses that we think highly of him.
Negotiations aren't......"I'm great, I'm worth this / no you're not, you suck and you're only worth this."

That really has been the constant theme coming from the team. Two weeks ago TC spoke with him at the TIMEX Center, John Mara has been effusive in his praise, Tisch has also been and went to dinner with him. THEN Condon enters the picture and they are even more elated. Hard to imagine them not getting a deal done.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure that Tisch is flying in formation. He needs to zip it.

He just goosed up Cruz's number a tad. He can afford it :p

jomo
03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
He just goosed up Cruz's number a tad. He can afford it :pHe certainly can

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
He certainly can

I am guessing Reese sent TC to see Mara and Tisch with an appropriate version of "Shut Up and Play."

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
If cruz flees to a place like st.louis , he better go before the cameras and say it was all about the money..Leaving his home state, one year removed from being champions, and going to a losing team with a so so quarterback and little chance of winning ?? Its all about the money..and don't be one of these clowns that say ''st.louis acted like they wanted me more etc..just because they had more money to throw at you !!

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
If cruz flees to a place like st.louis , he better go before the cameras and say it was all about the money..Leaving his home state, one year removed from being champions, and going to a losing team with a so so quarterback and little chance of winning ?? Its all about the money..and don't be one of these clowns that say ''st.louis acted like they wanted me more etc..just because they had more money to throw at you !!

Cruz wouldn't be "fleeing" and he has every right to take the best offer he gets that fits his plans. This is a business that we fans emotionalize because we don't have a dog in the hunt.

joemorrisforprez
03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm bracing for Cruz to go somewhere else. 4 years / $20 million for Martellus Bennett???....Lord knows what sort of number the Giants will have to match with Cruz.

Jerry "Early Bird Special" Reese is going to have to pony up a 4 Star tab to keep Cruz.

As far as losing a first round pick.....teams might be thinking getting Pro Bowler NFL receiver is a safer bet than a 1st round pick that could turn out to be a bust.....and Cruz is still very young.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I'm bracing for Cruz to go somewhere else. $5 million per year for Martellus Bennett???....Lord knows what sort of number the Giants will have to match.

It's really unlikely they will have to do that. In the meantime, they are working on a long term deal with his new agent. The majority of facts we know point to everyone rowing in the same direction. Even if Cruz get an offer sheet(s), he doesn't have to present one to the Giants.

joemorrisforprez
03-18-2013, 07:02 PM
It's really unlikely they will have to do that. In the meantime, they are working on a long term deal with his new agent. The majority of facts we know point to everyone rowing in the same direction. Even if Cruz get an offer sheet(s), he doesn't have to present one to the Giants.

I hope you're right, and it wouldn't surprise me.......but I don't want to get my hopes up.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
I hope you're right, and it wouldn't surprise me.......but I don't want to get my hopes up.

The odds are against a team giving up a first round pick which hasn't happened since 2003

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Cruz wouldn't be "fleeing" and he has every right to take the best offer he gets that fits his plans. This is a business that we fans emotionalize because we don't have a dog in the hunt.Absolutely he has the right, but it certainly would be fleeing..and there is no upside to signing with st.louis other then he could just get even more money..I like cruz, don't wanna see him leave..but if he does go and leave a good thing here, minutes away from his home to go play on a losing team, then he should just say he did it because st louis gave him a little more money, and that's what was most important..once in a while you get a player who actually admits that !!

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Absolutely he has the right, but it certainly would be fleeing..and there is no upside to signing with st.louis other then he could just get even more money..I like cruz, don't wanna see him leave..but if he does go and leave a good thing here, minutes away from his home to go play on a losing team, then he should just say he did it because st louis gave him a little more money, and that's what was most important..once in a while you get a player who actually admits that !!

Wouldn't we all take a job for more money?

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't we all take a job for more money? I'm from new jersey like cruz..if the giants offered me 7 mill a year and the other option was st.louis offering 9 or 10 million a year, i would choose to stay home and with my home team and accept the 7 mill a year...dang, he won't even make anywhere near the amount of money in endorsements in a place like st.louis like he can here !! I don't blame him for listening to offers, but unless it was as good a team or better that was making the offer, i don't see why a little more money would make you pack up and leave..its not going from a $40k a year job to a $75k a year job..He'd still be making a ton of money !!

that's my view any way !! :D

joemorrisforprez
03-18-2013, 07:17 PM
The odds are against a team giving up a first round pick which hasn't happened since 2003

I could see it happening for Cruz. He has the talent and is still young.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm from new jersey like cruz..if the giants offered me 7 mill a year and the other option was st.louis offering 9 or 10 million a year, i would choose to stay home and with my home team and accept the 7 mill a year...dang, he won't even make anywhere near the amount of money in endorsements in a place like st.louis like he can here !! I don't blame him for listening to offers, but unless it was as good a team or better that was making the offer, i don't see why a little more money would make you pack up and leave..its not going from a $40k a year job to a $75k a year job..He'd still be making a ton of money !!

I'm from New Jersey and now live in Virginia. We are looking at this as an emotional issue, when it's a business issue.

I have been suggesting Cruz is going to sign a long term deal with the Giants. Over the last ten days or so, several things have happened that all point to that eventuality.

Before we accuse Cruz of abandoning ship, maybe we should wait for it to start taking on water?

myles2424
03-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm from new jersey like cruz..if the giants offered me 7 mill a year and the other option was st.louis offering 9 or 10 million a year, i would choose to stay home and with my home team and accept the 7 mill a year...dang, he won't even make anywhere near the amount of money in endorsements in a place like st.louis like he can here !! I don't blame him for listening to offers, but unless it was as good a team or better that was making the offer, i don't see why a little more money would make you pack up and leave..its not going from a $40k a year job to a $75k a year job..He'd still be making a ton of money !!

that's my view any way !! :D

Youd take 2-3 mill per year less to stay with a certain team? Come on bro,cut it out....Cruz is 27, this will be his 1 & only big contract...

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
I could see it happening for Cruz. He has the talent and is still young.

That's possibly true. But we'd have to believe no one over the last ten years has had as much talent as Cruz does. If we believe that, then we should just say "pay the man, no matter what."

As far as we know, no team has presented an offer sheet to Cruz nor has Cruz asked any teams for one. That's not to say it hasn't happened, just that we don't know it has. While we wait, Jerry Reese and Tom Condon are going to negotiate over the long term deal the Giants have already placed on the table.

Everything we hear from the team is that they want Cruz long term and Cruz changed agents so that he'd have someone who would work better with the team on his behalf. Nothing's guaranteed, but with Steve Tisch saying Cruz should get more than Welker ($6M/2yrs) that wo9ulkd seem to put us in the $7-8M range which would be an appropriate contract IMO.

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Before we accuse Cruz of abandoning ship, maybe we should wait for it to start taking on water? I said IF he leaves..and to a lowly team like st.louis !!!

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
I said IF he leaves..and to a lowly team like st.louis !!!

We're just going to have to wait and see. It's an exciting time

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Youd take 2-3 mill per year less to stay with a certain team? Come on bro,cut it out....Cruz is 27, this will be his 1 & only big contract...2-3 million less and to stay 10 minutes from my house ?? sure i would, i think i would still be able to scrape by on 7 mill a year, not including endorsements ..evrybody's different !!1

dilorernzo
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
We're just going to have to wait and see. It's an exciting timelets hope for the best :D

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 07:29 PM
lets hope for the best :D

I always do

Roosevelt
03-18-2013, 09:26 PM

Why talk numbers? Unless you're trying to scare away potential suitors.

Roosevelt
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
I am guessing Reese sent TC to see Mara and Tisch with an appropriate version of "Shut Up and Play."

:D

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Why talk numbers? Unless you're trying to scare away potential suitors.

That was probably one of those DAMN moments

JJC7301
03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
He deserves more than Welker because he's in the prime of his career and he's accumulated something like 2,600 yards over the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't have had a problem if we signed Welker and get the 1st rounder for Cruz because I think it's going to be impossible to keep both Nicks and Cruz. Sign Nicks long term, you have Cruz's replacement short-term in Welker, and groom RR.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:12 AM
The Rams are now out of the hunt for Cruz leaving it highly unlikely a team is going to bite.

Buddy333
03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
It looks like no team is going to bite on the first round tender, but still think that the fans expectations of a better offer are off. The way the NFL works today you may only get one huge contract. This is his shot. No way he takes $2-3 million less to stay in NJ. With $2-3 million more he can travel just fine and have two houses. One where he plays and one in NJ. Not like he will be playing forever. He could just sell the one house and move back to NJ when he is by NFL standars an old man which really means he is still young. As far as endorsements, if he plays well he will get them no matter where he plays. Look at Peyton. He is one a few Latino players in the NFL and will get all kinds of deals through that as well.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
It looks like no team is going to bite on the first round tender, but still think that the fans expectations of a better offer are off. The way the NFL works today you may only get one huge contract. This is his shot. No way he takes $2-3 million less to stay in NJ. With $2-3 million more he can travel just fine and have two houses. One where he plays and one in NJ. Not like he will be playing forever. He could just sell the one house and move back to NJ when he is by NFL standars an old man which really means he is still young. As far as endorsements, if he plays well he will get them no matter where he plays. Look at Peyton. He is one a few Latino players in the NFL and will get all kinds of deals through that as well.

Victor has a long term offer to consider right now from the Giants. That's why Condon is now his agent. Not having offer sheets makes the process simpler.

No team can make him an offer without the risk of giving up a first round pick. He can take the tender and go UFA next season if he thinks that's his best opportunity. Or he can negotiate a long term deal now and take the best offer he can get from the Giants.

My best guess is if he takes the tender, he will lose between $3 and 4M this season alone. If he signs a long term deal he will be a multi-millionaire, probably in the $40M neighborhood