PDA

View Full Version : I dont usually do this

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 07:18 AM
But I was looking at some available OL and I noticed that Sebastian Vollmer is still a UFA. IMO I would bring this guy in and see what it would take to get him on board. He can play the RT and is versatile enough to start on the left if needed, I am surprised he is still available.

titwio
03-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Not sure but isn't he coming off of knee surgery? If so it would explain why teams are in no hurry.

ThatNiCcA56
03-18-2013, 07:34 AM
No way we would be able to afford him. I don't even think were enough under the cap to sign our draftees.

ThatNiCcA56
03-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Even if we could afford Vollmer we're better off drafting Warmack (would be great if he fell to us) Fluker, or Cooper. We would save a lot of cap space and with any of those guys and our O-line could actually be one of our strengths for the first time in 6 years.

titwio
03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Warmack and Cooper are guards. I'm all for it if they drop but I think the OP is referring to RT. Fluker fits the bill but not sure if he's 19th overall kind of material.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 07:48 AM
I don't see the Giants drafting a RT in the first round.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 07:51 AM
But I was looking at some available OL and I noticed that Sebastian Vollmer is still a UFA. IMO I would bring this guy in and see what it would take to get him on board. He can play the RT and is versatile enough to start on the left if needed, I am surprised he is still available.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143681/article/report-patriots-sebastian-vollmer-has-knee-surgery

I doubt we'd be able to afford him.

P.S. - The knee surgery was just a scope ... I'd be more worried about the back issues.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
I can understand the cap situation but I think we are in better shape then is being reported. I mean, if our cap situation was a bad we would not have been able to singe the 3 guys we did this weekend. I also think brining him is may give Dheil more of an incentive to take the pay cut. One last thing, I don't know how the rules work but can a team go over the cap and then get back under by redoing/releasing guys? It looks to me that our FO would rather wait to ask players to redo deals until absolutely necessary.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 07:56 AM
I can understand the cap situation but I think we are in better shape then is being reported. I mean, if our cap situation was a bad we would not have been able to singe the 3 guys we did this weekend. I also think brining him is may give Dheil more of an incentive to take the pay cut. One last thing, I don't know how the rules work but can a team go over the cap and then get back under by redoing/releasing guys? It looks to me that our FO would rather wait to ask players to redo deals until absolutely necessary.

All five of the guys we've signed so far (Jenkins, Mundy, Connor, Myers and Murphy) collectively will make less money than Vollmer is looking for this year.

And I'd be willing to bet that Mundy and Murphy don't make the 53 man roster, in which case, they aren't cap hits.

titwio
03-18-2013, 07:58 AM

I don't either....unless Lane Johnson miraculously fell to them.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I don't either....unless Lane Johnson miraculously fell to them.

Even then (and Lane Johnson might very well be available).

The highest Reese has drafted an OL was in the 2nd round, in a year when we had two 2nd round picks and that was our current starting LT.

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 08:04 AM
This years fee agency period has been a bit strange, we haven't seen a lot of long term deals. I appears to me that a lot have been of the 1-2 year variety unless I missed something.

titwio
03-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Even then (and Lane Johnson might very well be available).

The highest Reese has drafted an OL was in the 2nd round, in a year when we had two 2nd round picks and that was our current starting LT.

They would have taken Solder or Costanzo a couple of years ago. I remember Vacchiano reporting their interest in them.

I will guarantee that if Johnson is there at 19 the Giants will draft him (unless they opt to trade out). I swear I'll honestly never post on here if they don't. He's one of the most freakish athletes in the entire draft and Reese salivates over those kind of guys. He'd definitely be the BPA.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:09 AM
This years fee agency period has been a bit strange, we haven't seen a lot of long term deals. I appears to me that a lot have been of the 1-2 year variety unless I missed something.

A ton of one-year contracts. I think Bennett set a trend considering the contract he just got.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 08:11 AM
They would have taken Solder or Costanzo a couple of years ago. I remember Vacchiano reporting their interest in them.

I will guarantee that if Johnson is there at 19 the Giants will draft him (unless they opt to trade out). I swear I'll honestly never post on here if they don't. He's one of the most freakish athletes in the entire draft and Reese salivates over those kind of guys.

I'd be extremely surprised if that happened (both drafting Lane Johnson (if available in the first) and you not posting anymore :D )

titwio
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
I'd be extremely surprised if that happened (both drafting Lane Johnson (if available in the first) and you not posting anymore :D )

I'm a man of my word....if they pass on him I will vanish from these boards without further warning. I don't expect that to be the case though. :cool:

giantsfam04
03-18-2013, 08:20 AM
No way we would be able to afford him. I don't even think were enough under the cap to sign our draftees.

That's the thing I haven't heard his name mentioned at all, if he isn't getting the interest on the market as he and his agent thought then he may take a prove it deal to reestablish his value? Of course I don't have any inside knowledge of what is going, just a thought.

ThatNiCcA56
03-18-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't get all these one year contracts Reese is giving out. After the next year or two were actually not that bad cap wise. The negative towards giving one year deals is these guys put up a good year then a team gives them more money then they're worth.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't get all these one year contracts Reese is giving out. After the next year or two were actually not that bad cap wise. The negative towards giving one year deals is these guys put up a good year then a team gives them more money then they're worth.

Good talent for cheap ... what's not to get? We just did it with Bennett after all.

That and Myers' high catch total previous to 2012 was 16 receptions. I don't blame Reese for not giving this guy the kingdom and conversely, Myers is looking to do with Bennett just did in terms of securing a future long term contract.

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 10:05 AM

I agree.. there's pleny of RTs in the middles rounds

BigBlue wins
03-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Reese will definitely be scouring over OL choices in the middle rounds.

I feel that Diehl may possibly be replaced pending the results of training camp.

giantsfan420
03-18-2013, 01:10 PM

I will guarantee that if Johnson is there at 19 the Giants will draft him (unless they opt to trade out). I swear I'll honestly never post on here if they don't. He's one of the most freakish athletes in the entire draft and Reese salivates over those kind of guys. He'd definitely be the BPA.this. and i guarantee 1 of warmack/cooper/johnson falls to us. and thatll be the pick. id love it if in like rd 3 or 4, if we took barret jones too. our OL would become a strength and a beast unit

beatty warmack/cooper baas snee FA RT

Beatty B.Jones Baas Snee L. Johnson

Beatty Boothe Baas Snee L. Johnson

any 1 of those combos and our OL is a beast