PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen an update on our cap situation recently.........

jomo
03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
..........we've lost several guys like Phillips and traded down in price for some others like our kicker. We have a new TE and MLB and have signed Rivers. Any idea where we are at the moment? It would seem to me that we are better off thant the $3M or so under the cap that I saw a couple of weeks back.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:04 AM
No idea, but I am surprised Diehl is dragging his feet.

ryan12
03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
No idea, but I am surprised Diehl is dragging his feet.

just ****ing cut him already

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 10:25 AM
just ****ing cut him alreadyI'm pretty sure Ro would get in a lot of trouble if he did that.

TheAnalyst
03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
just ****ing cut him already'

I agree. Its time to move on like we did with Suebert and Ohara. I think we can easily replace his field play at this time, not sure about the leadership though.

ryan12
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure Ro would get in a lot of trouble if he did that.

lol

ryan12
03-18-2013, 10:28 AM
'

I agree. Its time to move on like we did with Suebert and Ohara. I think we can easily replace his field play at this time, not sure about the leadership though.

thanks for your time its been real and move on... draft fluker and have him and brewer battle it out in training camp

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 10:29 AM
I am surprised Diehl is dragging his feet.
Pfft, he did that all season.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure Ro would get in a lot of trouble if he did that.

That's a crime here

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
'

We can replace him, we just haven't yet.

GiantSteps13
03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1567273-updated-salary-cap-figures-for-every-nfl-team/page/22

Not sure if this link is gonna work but it says we are at 2.7 million before the Ross, Mundy, Murphy, Conner and Myers signings. So those still have to be added in, Cap space isn't looking to good. Lokks like we are gonna need a few more restructures.

ryan12
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1567273-updated-salary-cap-figures-for-every-nfl-team/page/22

Not sure if this link is gonna work but it says we are at 2.7 million before the Ross, Mundy, Murphy, Conner and Myers signings. So those still have to be added in, Cap space isn't looking to good. Lokks like we are gonna need a few more restructures.

cut diehl and if rolle wont take a pay cut (not restructure pay cut) cut him same with tuck

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
..........we've lost several guys like Phillips and traded down in price for some others like our kicker. We have a new TE and MLB and have signed Rivers. Any idea where we are at the moment? It would seem to me that we are better off thant the $3M or so under the cap that I saw a couple of weeks back.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the salary cap doesn't go into effect until the formation of the 53-man roster.

Which means we can be over the cap heading into training camp with final cuts having to put us under.

Drez
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
..........we've lost several guys like Phillips and traded down in price for some others like our kicker. We have a new TE and MLB and have signed Rivers. Any idea where we are at the moment? It would seem to me that we are better off thant the $3M or so under the cap that I saw a couple of weeks back.Both KP and Tynes were FAs, so they never counted in our salary cap for this season. From all accounts, which was before the Myers signing, we had less than $1m in cap space. I haven't seen anything yet, either, that gives the terms for Myers deals or what moves we needed to make to be able to sign him.

Drez
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the salary cap doesn't go into effect until the formation of the 53-man roster.

Which means we can be over the cap heading into training camp with final cuts having to put us under.Salary cap goes into effect the first day of the league year, which was March 12.

Drez
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Not sure if this link is gonna work but it says we are at 2.7 million before the Ross, Mundy, Murphy, Conner and Myers signings. So those still have to be added in, Cap space isn't looking to good. Lokks like we are gonna need a few more restructures.Something to consider when making estimates about the cap, is we get a certain number of veteran exceptions (I can't remember how many), where only half of the salary of a vet on a minimum deal counts against the cap.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Salary cap goes into effect the first day of the league year, which was March 12.

Ah ok thanks!

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 11:21 AM
That does mean that with Diehl on his old contract, we're still under the cap. Cutting him would basically mean all the rookies.

Drez
03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
That does mean that with Diehl on his old contract, we're still under the cap. Cutting him would basically mean all the rookies.Or even dropping him to vet min. Because, let's face it, even if we cut Diehl we'll have to replace him with another vet OL. So, let's say that Diehl (or the player taking his spot) will count for roughly $1m.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Or even dropping him to vet min. Because, let's face it, even if we cut Diehl we'll have to replace him with another vet OL. So, let's say that Diehl (or the player taking his spot) will count for roughly $1m.

Whatever Reese makes, he earns.

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Or even dropping him to vet min. Because, let's face it, even if we cut Diehl we'll have to replace him with another vet OL. So, let's say that Diehl (or the player taking his spot) will count for roughly $1m.

I think they're trying to get him to take a pay cut (which lowers the cap without accelerating the guaranteed money). Cutting Diehl outright would net us about 4M after excluding the dead money, -1M to re-sign at vet minimum (or another OT), leaves us with about 3M extra to help sign rookies with.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I think they're trying to get him to take a pay cut (which lowers the cap without accelerating the guaranteed money). Cutting Diehl outright would net us about 4M after excluding the dead money, -1M to re-sign at vet minimum (or another OT), leaves us with about 3M extra to help sign rookies with.

We need close to 5 for the draft class. More cuts to come

tonyt830
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
just ****ing cut him alreadyIf he and his agent are dragging their feet and waiting to see what happens with Booth, that may very well backfire on Diehl.

If the Giants plan on keeping him, then he needs to take a pay cut, plain and simple. If Diehl and/or his agent refuse to or have a problem with the pay cut, then let him go and try and find work somewhere else. I'm pretty sure that he wont get the money the Giants are currently paying him to play somewhere else.

BigBlue wins
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
If you ask me, I'm surprised Diehl is taking long to consider whatever was offered to him...I am a bit behind on his offer, so not sure if it was a restructure or a reduction.

You would think he knows he has been declining and should be happy considering the giants still keep him. It seems to me his reality might be skewed if he thinks he is worth more than vet minimum.

Drez
03-18-2013, 12:01 PM
I think they're trying to get him to take a pay cut (which lowers the cap without accelerating the guaranteed money). Cutting Diehl outright would net us about 4M after excluding the dead money, -1M to re-sign at vet minimum (or another OT), leaves us with about 3M extra to help sign rookies with.He's on the last year of his deal. There's no acceleration possible. What could lower his cap hit this year, is if we did something similar to what we did with Webster, which is extend him 1 year and have that year be voidable. Give him a pay cut (let's say for playing ball, we keep him at $2m), but if we give him an extra year that lowers his cap hit this season by just over $1.5m. It'd actually free up more room than just dropping him to vet min.

tonyt830
03-18-2013, 12:04 PM
He's on the last year of his deal. There's no acceleration possible. What could lower his cap hit this year, is if we didn't something similar to what we did with Webster, which is extend him 1 year and have that year be voidable. Give him a pay cut (let's say for playing ball, we keep him at $2m), but if we give him an extra year that lowers his cap hit this season by just over $1.5m. It'd actually free up more room than just dropping him to vet min.thanks for that explanation---yeah that sounds like a plan, that is if Diehl is on board. Even though Diehl is a vet that has some versatility, I dont think he will get big bucks or a lengthy contract from any other team in the league.

Drez
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
thanks for that explanation---yeah that sounds like a plan, that is if Diehl is on board. Even though Diehl is a vet that has some versatility, I dont think he will get big bucks or a lengthy contract from any other team in the league.Yeah, I doubt he would, either. Max I see him getting anywhere is about $1.5m (mind you vet min for him is just under $1m, so it'd only be like $500k over that).

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 12:09 PM
If he and his agent are dragging their feet and waiting to see what happens with Booth, that may very well backfire on Diehl.

If the Giants plan on keeping him, then he needs to take a pay cut, plain and simple. If Diehl and/or his agent refuse to or have a problem with the pay cut, then let him go and try and find work somewhere else. I'm pretty sure that he wont get the money the Giants are currently paying him to play somewhere else.

It could also be the Giants aren't pushing Diehl for the same reason; Boothe

Drez
03-18-2013, 12:10 PM
It could also be the Giants aren't pushing Diehl for the same reason; BootheThat and they just may be holding off as long as possible to redo anyone's deal. Why ruffle feathers before needed.

tonyt830
03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
It could also be the Giants aren't pushing Diehl for the same reason; Boothegood point sir! If the Giants can re-sign Boothe, then Diehl might be gone?

Drez
03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
good point sir! If the Giants can re-sign Boothe, then Diehl might be gone?Well, we'd likely have to cut or redo Diehl's deal to afford Boothe. However, if he's cut, we need to sign another vet swing guy.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
good point sir! If the Giants can re-sign Boothe, then Diehl might be gone?

If they were to sign Boothe and bring in a one year veteran RT, Diehl might have played his last game as a Giant. Until then, he's still here.

mercurio
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1567273-updated-salary-cap-figures-for-every-nfl-team/page/22Not sure if this link is gonna work but it says we are at 2.7 million before the Ross, Mundy, Murphy, Conner and Myers signings. So those still have to be added in, Cap space isn't looking to good. Lokks like we are gonna need a few more restructures.Only the top 51 salaries count against the cap during the offseason. Not counting Mundy, Murphy, Connor & Myers, our current top 51 is about 8 mil under the cap. Come the regular season we have to get down to the full 53 man cap.

LayLow
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Seems like they are waiting until after the draft to move on or not from Diehl.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoNYDN
Follow
Also, no evidence of paycuts or restructures on the NFLPA books yet. As you know, they are working on David Diehl -- and likely others. #NYG
11:49am - 18 Mar 13

jomo
03-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Both KP and Tynes were FAs, so they never counted in our salary cap for this season. From all accounts, which was before the Myers signing, we had less than $1m in cap space. I haven't seen anything yet, either, that gives the terms for Myers deals or what moves we needed to make to be able to sign him.So you're saying that we are still struggling. Oh well...........Thanks for the info.