PDA

View Full Version : Phillips deal 1 year 1.85 million?!?!

dayeh33
03-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Why on earth did we not match that?!?

@MikeGarafolo: I'm gonna have to duck from NYG fans after this one. Kenny Phillips' deal with the Eagles: 1 year, $1.85m; up to another $1m in incentives.

egyptian420
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
This is going to cause riots

Gmen2005
They must not trust his knee at all. I'm still surprised its so little though

JJC7301
I agree. Nice steal by the Eagles.

C1010
No way...

Rudyy
Well damn..

talbot
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
This is the only thing that's pissed me off during FA.

Drez
The question remains, would KP have accepted such an offer from the Giants?

Could it be that KP had a long term or no deal attitude with us?

To me, it seems just as likely as us not offering much to him, maybe with an eye on future cap ramifications (Cruz, Nicks, JPP, etc.).

Broadway Blue
Wow is all I got to say

Kruunch
Guess the Giants medical staff doesn't have faith in his knees.

I've learned long ago not to debate that bunch ... they're considered the best in the league at what they do.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM

@MikeGarafolo: I'm gonna have to duck from NYG fans after this one. Kenny Phillips' deal with the Eagles: 1 year, $1.85m; up to another $1m in incentives.

Apparently the Giants are convinced he's just never going to be a good player again, and at this point they prefer their other safties. There's no sense paying him anything if they think he's done. Personally, I don't agree with it.

TheEnigma
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Didn't he also say that he was tired of playing centerfield for the secondary and wanted to play more towards the LoS? It might not even be a money reason why he didn't return.

titwio
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM

I've been saying ever since I heard it was a 1 year deal. I mean what the hell....If I were Kenny Phillips I would have fired my agent for even showing me that deal. He could have done a lot better and he signed WAY too early. 2nd contracts are where players make their money and I find it hard to believe this is Kenny Phillips worth. Injury or no injury.

The Eagles got a steal.

GameTime
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
there are reasons that are not so apparent to us as fans. The Giants woud have kept him if the wanted to for that price.

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
there are reasons that are not so apparent to us as fans. The Giants woud have kept him if the wanted to for that price.True

Drez
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
I've been saying ever since I heard it was a 1 year deal. I mean what the hell....If I were Kenny Phillips I would have fired my agent for even showing me that deal. He could have done a lot better and he signed WAY too early. 2nd contracts are where players make their money and I find it hard to believe this is Kenny Phillips worth. Injury or no injury.Well, this offseason is the offseason of 1 year deals, so you have that. Secondly, he has a degenerative knee disorder in one leg and messed up the knee of the other. I would have been surprised if he got a multi-year deal from anyone.

C1010
03-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Maybe his knees are really shot. I'm a bit stunned, I figured the eagles would have gave him a lucrative one year deal but this may be one of four thing: (1) he is taking a one year deal to re establish value (2) He wanted a long term deal but only received short deals due to health (3) the eagles were the only team to give him a higher amount of guaranteed money. (4) His knees are keeping many team away.

bigjeep
03-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Put a fork in him, he's done!

BlueBlooded1979
03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
This is going to cause riots
As it should, this should be embarassing for the Giants FO. They preach about signing our own players and they let a very good one walk away for next to nothing. The sick thing is that the Mundy and Thomas signings will be more expensive on the cap.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
After the year Brown had, and the apparent high expectations they have for Hill, it's not surprising they decided to let him go after he was unable to stay on the field.

titwio
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Well, this offseason is the offseason of 1 year deals, so you have that. Secondly, he has a degenerative knee disorder in one leg and messed up the knee of the other. I would have been surprised if he got a multi-year deal from anyone.

Is it really degenerative though...I haven't read that. He had an issue this year but he came back and played. I'm just wondering what the Giants offered him cause if it was worse than that then I find it hard to believe.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
The question remains, would KP have accepted such an offer from the Giants?

Could it be that KP had a long term or no deal attitude with us?

To me, it seems just as likely as us not offering much to him, maybe with an eye on future cap ramifications (Cruz, Nicks, JPP, etc.).

Remember KP complaining about his rehab being mishandled last season? I wonder if he just didn't want to be here??

TheEnigma
03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Maybe his knees are really shot. I'm a bit stunned, I figured the eagles would have gave him a lucrative one year deal but this may be one of four thing: (1) he is taking a one year deal to re establish value (2) He wanted a long term deal but only received short deals due to health (3) the eagles were the only team to give him a higher amount of guaranteed money. (4) His knees are keeping many team away.

I'm sure he saw the huge contract Dashon Goldson received from the Buccaneers and wants a big piece of cake like that. He is definitely on that level of talent and arguably is even better than Goldson too. We will just have to see how he holds up in 2013.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoNYDN
Follow
Shows Giants (lack of) interest ... RT @MikeGarafolo: Kenny Phillips' deal with the Eagles: 1 year, $1.85m; up to another $1m in incentives.
11:27am - 18 Mar 13

Wow. By the looks of the deal Keeny signed the Giants didn't want any part of Phillips. There has to be something we don't know about the medical status of Phillips for the Giants not offering him a deal to keep him in blue. That been said I will miss him, great Giants and person to have on the team.

titwio
03-18-2013, 02:41 PM
The sick thing is that the Mundy and Thomas signings will be more expensive on the cap.

Yes...I want to see the Mundy contract details. This KP contract deal is seriously irking me.

RoanokeFan
As it should, this should be embarassing for the Giants FO. They preach about signing our own players and they let a very good one walk away for next to nothing. The sick thing is that the Mundy and Thomas signings will be more expensive on the cap.

This was the same argument we heard when Steve Smith went to the....Eagles.

It's not always about the money. If the Giants feel his injuries are such that he won't be effective, it was the right decision.

pino
Maybe we did offer. Maybe we didn't. Maybe he was told that he'd have to compete for the starting job again and he didn't feel comfortable with it. Maybe we offered a one, two year deal and felt that we didn't want him. Or perhaps we offered a mutli year contract, but he didn't like the numbers. Taking a one year deal on another team (a rival no less) means he's out to prove us and every other team wrong and will try free agency again next year to get the numbers he wants.

Drez
Remember KP complaining about his rehab being mishandled last season? I wonder if he just didn't want to be here?? From what I remember it was mishandled by all sides, not just the training staff.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
This was the same argument we heard when Steve Smith went to the....Eagles.

You just stole my next post. lol

Mr. G-Man
03-18-2013, 02:42 PM
so reminiscent of steve smith isnt it?

EDIT: HAHA, i posted this after only reading page 1, and come to find the posts above me are exactly the same. :D

titwio
03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
so reminiscent of steve smith isnt it?

Yeah but Phillips is already years removed from his injury and played pretty darn well in 2011. This season he was off and on with an injury but he ultimately came back and played. Smith was more of unknown as far as his recovery was concerned.

DVision
Remember KP complaining about his rehab being mishandled last season? I wonder if he just didn't want to be here??

He said in his presser it was time for change. He's been unhappy in the way he was used in Fewell's system even before last season. I suspect his being upset about the rehab during the season prior to his being a FA had something to do with it also.

primetime
I trust the Giants medical staff on this one. And it's clear even the Eagles are skeptical on Kenny Phillips injury history.
That kind of contract to a 3 year starter is laughable.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
From what I remember it was mishandled by all sides, not just the training staff.

It was indeed. Here's a blurb about it:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-phillips-blames-rehab-knee-problems-article-1.1211110

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I trust the Giants medical staff on this one. And it's clear even the Eagles are skeptical on Kenny Phillips injury history.
That kind of contract to a 3 year starter is laughable.True, it's not like the Eagles signed him to 4 years or anything.

Still.. :/

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
He's an Eagle now and all we can do is wish him well 14 times this year.

titwio
03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
That kind of contract to a 3 year starter is laughable.

In Free Agency no less. I'm completely baffled right now. I demand details!

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
In Free Agency no less. I'm completely baffled right now. I demand details!

Reese isn't returning my calls AGAIN.

Was KP part of your new sig?

DVision
03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm sure he saw the huge contract Dashon Goldson received from the Buccaneers and wants a big piece of cake like that. He is definitely on that level of talent and arguably is even better than Goldson too. We will just have to see how he holds up in 2013.

He'll never get a Goldson deal. Even if he plays every game this season it would only be the 2nd time in his career he made it through a entire season. Meanwhile Goldson has missed 2 games in the last 4 seasons.

titwio
03-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Reese isn't returning my calls AGAIN

I have pitchforks, axes and wrenches at my house. Bring your own torches....we'll storm the fort and make our demands. I WANT ANSWERS!!!

Redeyejedi
03-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Giants defense gave up a TD less with Phillips on the field and I like him but im going to trust the Giants doctors on this

TheEnigma
03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
He'll never get a Goldson deal. Even if he plays every game this season it would only be the 2nd time in his career he made it through a entire season. Meanwhile Goldson has missed 2 games in the last 4 seasons.

Probably true and I agree. It's unfortunate because KP is one of the best safeties in the league when it comes to coverage.

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Said it last week. They probably let him go.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Yes...I want to see the Mundy contract details. This KP contract deal is seriously irking me.

Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoNYDN
Follow
And the same for S Ryan Mundy -- one year w/a salary of $715,000. #NYG
11:46am - 18 Mar 13

titwio
03-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Giants defense gave up a TD less with Phillips on the field and I like him but im going to trust the Giants doctors on this

Were there reports that he wasn't healthy or recovered though? I haven't read anything that said he wasn't medically cleared. I feel like people are assuming something was wrong....which may be true but I'd like know the details if it is indeed the case. You'd think something like that would be printed about a player heading into free agency. They sure didn't cover it up for Ahmad Bradshaw....not sure why Phillips' case would be hidden from the public.

primetime
03-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoNYDN
Follow
That's a good contract, Mundy hasn't missed a game in his NFL career (4 years) and was brought in for depth purposes and special teams.

titwio
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoNYDN
Follow

Thanks G-Men. That's not so bad but for a mill more they could have had a starter very familiar with the scheme and a team leader at that. I feel awful about this situation. Not only the contract but the fact that the Eagles (of all teams) got such a steal like this.

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Here's the thing that irks me the most about losing KP: he was pretty much the only person that made PF feel just barely secure enough to blitz a linebacker. I'm tired of rushing 4 all the time. NFL OC's have basically hard-countered our pass rush through scheme (specifically, just max protect and assign 2 blockers plus a chip to JPP). Just about any 5th person rushing gives much-needed help to the front 4. Hell, Blackburn was able to break through when he blitzed (which was, ironically, some of Blackburn's greatest plays all season)...

tl;dr: we need a new DC that isn't afraid to blitz just because he's not 150% secure that his secondary will hold up...

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 03:11 PM
That's a good contract, Mundy hasn't missed a game in his NFL career (4 years) and was brought in for depth purposes and special teams.
I hope he remains durable . I remember when Canty got on board in '09 he came with the same résumé not missing a game in four years. The first year as a Giants ? Missed 8 games.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks G-Men. That's not so bad but for a mill more they could have had a starter very familiar with the scheme and a team leader at that. I feel awful about this situation. Not only the contract but the fact that the Eagles (of all teams) got such a steal like this.
I hope Mundy comes hungry and makes most of his opportunity to play in NY. FA era has put us fans under notice that nothing is forever in the NFL. Every year is the same since it started. To this date I still have nightmares about seeing my hero Mark Bavaro dressed up in a Eagles uniform and playing against us. That marked me as a fan.

DVision
03-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Here's the thing that irks me the most about losing KP: he was pretty much the only person that made PF feel just barely secure enough to blitz a linebacker. I'm tired of rushing 4 all the time. NFL OC's have basically hard-countered our pass rush through scheme (specifically, just max protect and assign 2 blockers plus a chip to JPP). Just about any 5th person rushing gives much-needed help to the front 4. Hell, Blackburn was able to break through when he blitzed (which was, ironically, some of Blackburn's greatest plays all season)...

tl;dr: we need a new DC that isn't afraid to blitz just because he's not 150% secure that his secondary will hold up...

Last season is over! There will be new faces on the defense (thank god- last season we fielded basically the same players as the previous and the result was 2 of the worst statistical defenses in Giants history)! Maybe it's not ALL the coaches fault. Hopefully Fewell will feel more comfortable with the new faces. And as far as the new faces go, we have no idea how they will perform until they are on the field. Carlos Rodgers played very average his seasons with the Skins, when put on a new defense he has played exceptionally.

I'm excited to see how the new pieces fit together!

TCHOF
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
None of us really have any idea what KP's true medical condition is. Given the deal he got from the Eagles, and the Giants' unwillingness to match it, it appears that his medical outlook is not good.

B&RWarrior
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM

RF when he plays us, if he's healthy, he is going to come with his A+++++ game. If he stays healthy for the season then we made a mistake, unless, like you said, he just didn't want to be here.

Mundy is not even close to KP.

DVision
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM

I like Kenny, but he played 15 games the season before and there were still only 3 other teams with worse pass defense. As a matter of fact they gave up more passing ypg the season before and the difference in points was 25 ppg in '11 to 21.5 ppg in '12. Not that big a difference.

DownWitJPP
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
1 year 1.85 million with a 150k workout bonus and another 1 million in incentives..he has the potential to earn 3 million this season. 0 dollars guaranteed....WTF why would he sign a contract with no money guaranteed...SMH

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Last season is over! There will be new faces on the defense (thank god- last season we fielded basically the same players as the previous and the result was 2 of the worst statistical defenses in Giants history)! Maybe it's not ALL the coaches fault. Hopefully Fewell will feel more comfortable with the new faces. And as far as the new faces go, we have no idea how they will perform until they are on the field. Carlos Rodgers played very average his seasons with the Skins, when put on a new defense he has played exceptionally.

I'm excited to see how the new pieces fit together!

I hope you're right. I've given PF a lot of slack (other than his absolute REFUSAL to send more than 4 rushers under any circumstances), but if he can't do better with some new faces, something is wrong with the coach.

giantsfan420
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
yup. this confirms my belief that we didnt even offer him a contract. how could we have. say he wants to re establish his worth, where would he have the best chance to do so? on a D he knows like the back of his hand that he helped lead to a SB or a struggling franchise with new coaches/schemes that he will have to learn as well...this is an epic failure on the part of the giants FO imho. i was upset about the MB deal but can understand not wanting to match that amount of pay...but 1.5 mil for a guy we know means so much to our success? our records with and without him are clear as day...dont understand this AT ALL. if u didnt want him long term ok. surely thoo we coulda used him for a 1 yr deal at 1.5 mil...smfh

Mlerman17
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
I hate the nfl :(

DVision
03-18-2013, 03:36 PM
I hope you're right. I've given PF a lot of slack (other than his absolute REFUSAL to send more than 4 rushers under any circumstances), but if he can't do better with some new faces, something is wrong with the coach.

I've given him slack also (maybe too much), but if it's more of the same with new players it will answer our question of whether it's the players or the system.

GameTime
RF when he plays us, if he's healthy, he is going to come with his A+++++ game. If he stays healthy for the season then we made a mistake, unless, like you said, he just didn't want to be here.

maybe Jenkins will do the same and mess up Vick.....

chizz
I thought I read that he turned down a long term deal with the giants maybe I'm thinking of someone else

DownWitJPP
03-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I thought I read that he turned down a long term deal with the giants maybe I'm thinking of someone else

u did read that..Mike Garafolo reported it last week. I just asked him how much our offer was to KP, we'll see if I get an answer

DVision
03-18-2013, 03:47 PM

You read right. He did turn down a Giants deal as EVERY Philly article is making a note to mention

"While he said he has to learn to hate the Giants now, he did turn down a deal that would have kept him in New York to join an Eagles organization he felt was moving in the right direction."

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 03:47 PM
You read right. He did turn down a Giants deal as EVERY Philly article is making a note to mention

"While he said he has to learn to hate the Giants now, he did turn down a deal that would have kept him in New York to join an Eagles organization he felt was moving in the right direction."Now that I don't get.

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Now that I don't get.

It's called tabloid reporting, don't know if you've heard of it...

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
It's called tabloid reporting, don't know if you've heard of it...Yes, I've heard about it. Thanks.

Zaggs
03-18-2013, 03:52 PM

"While he said he has to learn to hate the Giants now, he did turn down a deal that would have kept him in New York to join an Eagles organization he felt was moving in the right direction."

It may have been the Giants offered him a multi-year deal that only paid minimum. If he holds up for a year, Reese gonna have some splaining to do.

TheEnigma
03-18-2013, 03:53 PM
It's a huge gamble but Reese usually wins on those. We'll just have to see.

DownWitJPP
03-18-2013, 03:53 PM
None of us really have any idea what KP's true medical condition is. Given the deal he got from the Eagles, and the Giants' unwillingness to match it, it appears that his medical outlook is not good. that's what i'm thinking. His injuries are more than we know about and the Giants didn't want to match. the only thing that is confusing me is that it has been reported that we had a offer out to him..not sure for how long or how much.

Sundown
03-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Why are people up in arms about this? The med staff know his knees are a problem and the eagles gave a 1 yr prove yourself contract.

Zaggs
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
that's what i'm thinking. His injuries are more than we know about and the Giants didn't want to match. the only thing that is confusing me is that it has been reported that we had a offer out to him..not sure for how long or how much.

Kinda reminds me of Steve Smith. He didn't do jack with Philly. But it may be the Giants offered more of a prove it contract that would have only paid KP the same as Philly IF he made it through the season. Philly seems to like taking bigger risks.

ironfox
03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
The FO knows what they're doing. Still need to sign Cruz and Boothe and we have guys like Will Hill and Stevie Brown who showed ability this year and dont have bad knees like Phillips.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM

He turned down an offer here, it's being reported. I don't know what those terms would have been, but he's not exactly raking in the $$ with the Eagles. It could be he just wanted out.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
He turned down an offer here, it's being reported. I don't know what those terms would have been, but he's not exactly raking in the $$ with the Eagles. It could be he just wanted out.
I'm sure Kenny just like Canty thought their value market was higher. Guess again.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I wish we had a hard hitter like Sam Garnes. Anyone remember that beast? It's a shame though because the new rules are making it harder for people to make those big hits.

FrankAE
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
KP is always hurt. let philly dwell with him, maybe he wont even play vs Giants

BlueSanta
03-18-2013, 04:21 PM
A lot of people here know that KP had Micro fracture surgery a couple years ago. They may also have read that microfracture surgery has a tendency to shorten careers of professional athletes.

But, I think what a lot of people here dont know is why KP had this particular surgery. The Giants found out after they drafted KP that he suffered from patellofemoral arthritis. This is an incurable degenerative condition. Thats right, it is incurable. There are treatments and surgeries(such as MF surgery) which can help allieviate some of the pain caused by this condition. But in the end it is degenerative and absolutely will cut his career short. It is likely to already have considering the time he has missed because of that knee. When you consider that this condition, combined with the surgery he had to help alleviate the condition BOTH shorten careers. I think it is safe to say the Giants were worried that 1 random day he would just not be able to pass the physical, and that day may come soon, possibly even this fall.

My brother, who was an amazing marathon runner in his prime, went to the doc 1 day for an annoying pain in his knee only to find out he had this condition. His running career was over in the blink of an eye and a mere 2 years later he had trouble just walking up a flight of stairs.

I would also note that in recent years the Giants have not resigned 1 guy after his contract was up who had the microfracture surgery. Coefield, KP, SS12, Fred Robbins, Canty, and Ballard.

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 04:23 PM
A lot of people here know that KP had Micro fracture surgery a couple years ago. They may also have read that microfracture surgery has a tendency to shorten careers of professional athletes. But, I think what a lot of people here dont know is why KP had this particular surgery. The Giants found out after they drafted KP that he suffered from patellofemoral arthritis. This is an incurable degenerative condition. Thats right, it is incurable. There are treatments and surgeries(such as MF surgery) which can help allieviate some of the pain caused by this condition. But in the end it is degenerative and absolutely will cut his career short. It is likely to already have considering the time he has missed because of that knee. When you consider that this condition, combined with the surgery he had to help alleviate the condition BOTH shorten careers. I think it is safe to say the Giants were worried that 1 random day he would just not be able to pass the physical, and that day may come soon, possibly even this fall.My brother, who was an amazing marathon runner in his prime, went to the doc 1 day for an annoying pain in his knee only to find out he had this condition. His running career was over in the blink of an eye and a mere 2 years later he had trouble just walking up a flight of stairs.Sorry to hear about your brother. I didn't know KO's knees were that badly damaged, wow.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
He was offered a long term deal prior to the opening of free agency, which he (obviously) turned down. Seeing as the Giants aren't light at the safety position, and Phillips was always hurt. The Giants no doubt took that into account when making an offer - perhaps Kenny was insulted by it?

He probably saw his value and realised that if he wanted to reestablish it, he'd be better off doing so on a team which had a greater need for his services.

This almost looks like an amicable separation rather than anything sinister. It was best for both parties to move on.

Kruunch
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
He was offered a long term deal prior to the opening of free agency, which he (obviously) turned down. Seeing as the Giants aren't light at the safety position, and Phillips was always hurt. The Giants no doubt took that into account when making an offer. Perhaps Kenny was insulted by it?

I'm thinking this as well.

slipknottin
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
The giant beat reporters seemed to have the opinion the giants had little interest in bringing him back. I would guess it was medical related.

Besides they essentially have their starters already in Rolle and Brown. And they seem to like Hill as well.

rebelfan1966
03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I think it was an injury concern on the Giants part....

giantsfan420
03-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I wish we had a hard hitter like Sam Garnes. Anyone remember that beast? It's a shame though because the new rules are making it harder for people to make those big hits.that guy was the man. a bunch of years back, i was in this madden video game league...like the yr 2002 ish...anyways, he was in it. we all picked our rosters vie fantasy draft. garnes was pretty terrible, but what a nice guy. dude was huge too. it was so much fun beating up on him and trash talking with a ton of caution lol...

GiantRoc
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
It seemed like there were undertones of bad vibes. Rumors of KP not liking how his injuries were handled. Maybe it was the bad knee, and maybe KP just didn't want to come back. It's rare we get the full story on anything.

miked1958
03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Ralph Vacchiano@RVacchianoNYDNFollowShows Giants (lack of) interest ... RT @MikeGarafolo: Kenny Phillips' deal with the Eagles: 1 year, $1.85m; up to another $1m in incentives.11:27am - 18 Mar 13 Wow. By the looks of the deal Keeny signed the Giants didn't want any part of Phillips. There has to be something we don't know about the medical status of Phillips for the Giants not offering him a deal to keep him in blue. That been said I will miss him, great Giants and person to have on the team.we were thinking it was going to cost SO much to retain him and we find out now all along what the giants thought of him and his health and age

byron
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
A lot of people here know that KP had Micro fracture surgery a couple years ago. They may also have read that microfracture surgery has a tendency to shorten careers of professional athletes.

But, I think what a lot of people here dont know is why KP had this particular surgery. The Giants found out after they drafted KP that he suffered from patellofemoral arthritis. This is an incurable degenerative condition. Thats right, it is incurable. There are treatments and surgeries(such as MF surgery) which can help allieviate some of the pain caused by this condition. But in the end it is degenerative and absolutely will cut his career short. It is likely to already have considering the time he has missed because of that knee. When you consider that this condition, combined with the surgery he had to help alleviate the condition BOTH shorten careers. I think it is safe to say the Giants were worried that 1 random day he would just not be able to pass the physical, and that day may come soon, possibly even this fall.

My brother, who was an amazing marathon runner in his prime, went to the doc 1 day for an annoying pain in his knee only to find out he had this condition. His running career was over in the blink of an eye and a mere 2 years later he had trouble just walking up a flight of stairs.

I would also note that in recent years the Giants have not resigned 1 guy after his contract was up who had the microfracture surgery. Coefield, KP, SS12, Fred Robbins, Canty, and Ballard. good post man some here just don't get it or don't want to believe it

miked1958
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Well I won't question it. I trust in JR and the FO. They are never usually wrong about a players value. And I don't think they are in this case. Time will tell. He must of had no other bites for him to agree to that deal lol

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 05:11 PM
we were thinking it was going to cost SO much to retain him and we find out now all along what the giants thought of him and his health and age
Yep. The sad part is that Kenny also thought his market value was also higher. I hate it when bad things happen to good people.

miked1958
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Well I won't question it. I trust in JR and the FO. They are never usually wrong about a players value. And I don't think they are in this case. Time will tell. He must of had no other bites for him to agree to that deal lol

byron
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Yep. The sad part is that Kenny also thought his market value was also higher. I hate it when bad things happen to good people. yeah he really is a good kid and loves the game to bad ...

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 05:19 PM
I would not mind if Reese gets this wrong only for Kenny's sake and to see him get paid it the near future. I may sound like a broken record but I loved that kid.

Greg Schiano
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Phillips... Come on man... I would have overpaid you! ... Tampa... </3 </3 </3

miked1958
03-18-2013, 05:22 PM
A lot of people here know that KP had Micro fracture surgery a couple years ago. They may also have read that microfracture surgery has a tendency to shorten careers of professional athletes. But, I think what a lot of people here dont know is why KP had this particular surgery. The Giants found out after they drafted KP that he suffered from patellofemoral arthritis. This is an incurable degenerative condition. Thats right, it is incurable. There are treatments and surgeries(such as MF surgery) which can help allieviate some of the pain caused by this condition. But in the end it is degenerative and absolutely will cut his career short. It is likely to already have considering the time he has missed because of that knee. When you consider that this condition, combined with the surgery he had to help alleviate the condition BOTH shorten careers. I think it is safe to say the Giants were worried that 1 random day he would just not be able to pass the physical, and that day may come soon, possibly even this fall.My brother, who was an amazing marathon runner in his prime, went to the doc 1 day for an annoying pain in his knee only to find out he had this condition. His running career was over in the blink of an eye and a mere 2 years later he had trouble just walking up a flight of stairs.I would also note that in recent years the Giants have not resigned 1 guy after his contract was up who had the microfracture surgery. Coefield, KP, SS12, Fred Robbins, Canty, and Ballard.wow, this is the Post of the Month! Good stuff

Roosevelt
03-18-2013, 05:42 PM

This is not on us. KP wanted out. He no longer wanted to be a Giant

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
The giant beat reporters seemed to have the opinion the giants had little interest in bringing him back. I would guess it was medical related. Besides they essentially have their starters already in Rolle and Brown. And they seem to like Hill as well.Didn't he also have an interview toward the end of the season and he didn't sound so sure he was coming back? It does sound like they let him go and that they are happy with what they have.

miked1958
03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
I would not mind if Reese gets this wrong only for Kenny's sake and to see him get paid it the near future. I may sound like a broken record but I loved that kid.yea but you know the giants FO will come out again smelling like a rose on this one when he misses a ton of games and makes that contract seem like he was overpaid

miked1958
03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Another 1yr and gone signing by the eagles

offingmoot
03-18-2013, 05:49 PM

i would never wish an eagle well, ever!
not just the games that are not agnst the giants.
i dont care who he is
even if eli left and became an eagle, i would want his career to be miserable there

BigBlueAllDay
03-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Contract Details:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/kenny-phillips/

Base Salary: $850K, Signing Bonus: $0 (zip), Roster Bonus(for making the 53-man roster): $1,000,000, Work Out Bonus: $150,000

Either the Giants did offer him a bag of chips or K. Phillips wanted out from the start or both. There's no guaranteed money in this contract. Assuming he lasts long enough for the workout bonus, if he can't make the 53-man roster on the Eagles, that's all he's getting. lol

Drez
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
This is not on us. KP wanted out. He no longer wanted to be a GiantLike I keep mentioning, I have a feeling that KP wouldn't accept a "show me" deal to stay here.

I know it isn't an exact analogy, but if my boss came up to me and asked me to take a paycut, I'd likely tell him to suck canal water. If his asking me that made me want to look for new employment, I would likely take a job that paid less than I had been making, and possibly even less than what my boss had wanted to reduce my salary to.

Harooni
03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Simple, we have salary cap issues , fans just dont want to realize it hurts our team when we over pay others.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Contract Details:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/kenny-phillips/

Base Salary: $850K, Signing Bonus: $0 (zip), Roster Bonus(for making the 53-man roster): $1,000,000, Work Out Bonus: $150,000

Either the Giants did offer him a bag of chips or K. Phillips wanted out from the start or both. There's no guaranteed money in this contract. Assuming he lasts long enough for the workout bonus, if he can't make the 53-man roster on the Eagles, that's all he's getting. lol

Wow, barely above vet min. Bargain.

Simple, we have salary cap issues , fans just dont want to realize it hurts our team when we over pay others.
The tender amount for Stevie Brown is more than Phillips' contract is worth.

BuffyBlueII
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Maybe Kenny Phillips wanted to leave.

Drez
03-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Simple, we have salary cap issues , fans just dont want to realize it hurts our team when we over pay others.Then what was stopping us from offering a contract that gave him more money after this year when we start clearing more cap space?

miked1958
03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Contract Details:http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/kenny-phillips/ Base Salary: $850K, Signing Bonus: $0 (zip), Roster Bonus(for making the 53-man roster): $1,000,000, Work Out Bonus: $150,000Either the Giants did offer him a bag of chips or K. Phillips wanted out from the start or both. There's no guaranteed money in this contract. Assuming he lasts long enough for the workout bonus, if he can't make the 53-man roster on the Eagles, that's all he's getting. lolwow humble PIE tastes so sweet... Osi will be eating from the same plate as KP haha.. Maybe he should threaten to sit out the season if his phone doesn't start ringing, lol

BigBlueAllDay
03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Wow, barely above vet min. Bargain.
Yup. Considering Kenny Phillips was drafted in 2008, that's already 4 accrued seasons. 2013 Vet min for 4-6 year players is $715K.

speed3freak
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
KP said it last year, he was tired of playing deep post, he wanted more in the box looks. We were scared that his knee wouldnt hold up, so we kept him deep on the backend. Doesn't surprise me he jumped ship.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 06:21 PM
wow humble PIE tastes so sweet... Osi will be eating from the same plate as KP haha.. Maybe he should threaten to sit out the season if his phone doesn't start ringing, lol
Why is it humble pie? Phillips never whinged about a contract, he never held out; never did anything detrimental to the team.

The only thing he did wrong was get hurt. That's not something he could control.

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Why is it humble pie? Phillips never whinged about a contract,

Exactly, except he was smarter about it than Osi. Instead of constantly whining about it and labelling yourself as petulant and immature, just keep quiet and get yourself labelled as a workhorse, then after you're on a new team, let the rhetoric flow freely. That's why he's so quick to hate the Giants. He probably was waiting for a divisional rival offer just so he could stick it to us more.

Damn, after reading that, I definitely feel the oncoming effects of Steve Smith syndrome, but it seems as though we have no one to blame but the coaches who were just doing their jobs to begin with. Coaches just wanted him to be healthy (a multimillion investment like that, yeah you want to keep him healthy)... but it seems as though instead of asking for a release or trade when it became clear that he would never play that strong safety position he wanted to play, he just kept quiet about it and let his own frustration build up inside him. Nobody you can really blame here for what happened, but this has effectively erased the slate for me regarding KP. He is the enemy now, just like all those godforsaken Philadelphia Crapholes, and to be treated as such. Him signing with the Eagles was "just business", but him hating the Giants is a whole different story. You don't have to hate when going to a divisional rival (example: Cofield), but if you start hating, expect to be hated back.

Redeyejedi
03-18-2013, 06:33 PM

tl;dr: we need a new DC that isn't afraid to blitz just because he's not 150% secure that his secondary will hold up... DE FSU Bjoern Werner all 13 sacks came in non Blitz situatuions

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
DE FSU Bjoern Werner all 13 sacks came in non Blitz situatuions

Hey if he's there at 19 I'll take him, but I've seen a zillion mocks having him go to Jacksonville. I don't think his recent fall from grace takes him down to 19...

gmen0820
Wow. Either his knee is in terrible shape unbeknownst to us, or the Giants are just as surprised as us. Or, maybe they just don't think Phillips is that good.

Flip Empty
You don't have to hate when going to a divisional rival (example: Cofield), but if you start hating, expect to be hated back.
Call it hate; call it competitive nature. Athletes need to derive motivation from somewhere.

Martellus Bennett delighted at the opportunity to stick it to the team that didn't want him. If KP feels the same way, then so be it. He's just playing the game like everyone else.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Wow. Either his knee is in terrible shape unbeknownst to us, or the Giants are just as surprised as us. Or, maybe they just don't think Phillips is that good.

Or as others pointed out, Kenny just didn't want to be here anymore.

Redeyejedi
03-18-2013, 06:37 PM
KP said it last year, he was tired of playing deep post, he wanted more in the box looks. We were scared that his knee wouldnt hold up, so we kept him deep on the backend. Doesn't surprise me he jumped ship. U going to put Rolle deep that would be a disaster. Phillips tackled really well. Safety is not about how many interceptions u have but how many times u dont F up

jomo
03-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Call it hate; call it competitive nature. Athletes need to derive motivation from somewhere.

Martellus Bennett delighted at the opportunity to stick it to the team that didn't want him. If KP feels the same way, then so be it. He's just playing the game like everyone else.Bennett delighted in talking about sticking it to the team that didn't want him. In the end, with 69 yards over 2 games his play made the Cowboys look like they made the right decision.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Bennett delighted in talking about sticking it to the team that didn't want him. In the end, with 69 yards over 2 games his play made the Cowboys look like they made the right decision.
He scored a touchdown on them in week one, though. That had to have been satisfying for him.

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Or as others pointed out, Kenny just didn't want to be here anymore.Yeah, perhaps. Just as valid as any of my speculative theories lol.

jomo
03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
He scored a touchdown on them in week one, though. That had to have been satisfying for him.I am sure it was but for most players, it is just something to talk about.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 06:51 PM
I am sure it was but for most players, it is just something to talk about.
No better way to sell yourself to a new fanbase than by declaring your hatred for their rivals.

jomo
03-18-2013, 07:09 PM
No better way to sell yourself to a new fanbase than by declaring your hatred for their rivals.But of course

TheAnalyst
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Holy crap this a horrible non sign by the Giants. Maybe the worst I ever seen. And to the Eagles? We couldn't give KP a 1 year 2 million deal? But we gave contracts to Ross and T2? In Reese we Trust, but damn...

Drez
03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Holy crap this a horrible non sign by the Giants. Maybe the worst I ever seen. And to the Eagles? We couldn't give KP a 1 year 2 million deal? But we gave contracts to Ross and T2? In Reese we Trust, but damn...Do we know if KP would have accepted a similar deal from us?

TheAnalyst
03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Do we know if KP would have accepted a similar deal from us?Why wouldn't he. In fact, I would think he would of took less to stay in NY. I can't imagine him going to the Eagles for that deal unless we didn't even offer him a contract.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
KP is going to lay-out Cruz, Randle or Nicks at some point this year.

We all know its coming. ...man this sucks.

But hey...the guy had microfracture surgery and is definitely not the player he was at Miami or here in 2008

Drez
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Why wouldn't he. In fact, I would think he would of took less to stay in NY. I can't imagine him going to the Eagles for that deal unless we didn't even offer him a contract.Because maybe for him to stay in NY he would have wanted a long term deal or no deal at all. That scenario seems just as likely to me.

wideright91
03-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Supposedly (Per RotoWorld, I think) there was chatter of franchising KP. Maybe medical staff talked the front office out of it? Dunno what to make of all this.

Rudyy
03-19-2013, 12:33 AM
KP is going to lay-out Cruz, Randle or Nicks at some point this year.We all know its coming. ...man this sucks.But hey...the guy had microfracture surgery and is definitely not the player he was at Miami or here in 2008So is he going to lay them out or not? Haha

darrin99
03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Supposedly (Per RotoWorld, I think) there was chatter of franchising KP. Maybe medical staff talked the front office out of it? Dunno what to make of all this.

Franchising a safety with 2 bad knees, coming off an awful, injury filled season? That would have been by far the worst move of the Jerry Reese era if it were true, but I don't believe it anyway.

Edit: The Giants would have had to pay Phillips almost $7M if they franchised him. No chance they were considering that.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
I see. For what he was worth and meant to the team I guess he was worthy of the franchise tag. Only a medical issue would keep the Giants off from signing Kenny.

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 07:19 AM

Eh, need to see a link on that. Hard to imagine the FO went from considering the franchise tag to just booting him out the door.

Flip Empty
03-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Eh, need to see a link on that. Hard to imagine the FO went from considering the franchise tag to just booting him out the door.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4597/kenny-phillips

gumby74
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Wow ....I guess his knees are really messed up ...but i can't say I'm a fan of letting him go.

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 10:13 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4597/kenny-phillips

The media is unbelievable. There were "whispers" that the Giants "were thinking about franchising" Phillips last week.

If the Giants even considered franchising Phillips last week, just days before letting him walk for a garbage one-year deal, I will eat a pile of my own fesces.

GameTime
03-19-2013, 10:26 AM
when it comes down to it. Having or not having Phillips will not make or break this team in the long run.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 10:52 AM
KP didn't want to play for us.

Get over it already.

darrin99
03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
The media is unbelievable. There were "whispers" that the Giants "were thinking about franchising" Phillips last week.

If the Giants even considered franchising Phillips last week, just days before letting him walk for a garbage one-year deal, I will eat a pile of my own fesces.

Let's say they were, where were they planning on getting another 7M in cap space to do so, sign Cruz, and fill out the rest of their roster? As it is, they still have a lot of work to do with their cap numbers.

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
No way the Giants should of franchised him, but he would of jumped all over a 1 year 3M deal no? Seems to work for both parties.

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow ....I guess his knees are really messed up ...but i can't say I'm a fan of letting him go.

Its not that. T2s knees are even more messed up and we keep giving him offers. IMO, KP was a safer pickup then T2. What did T2 get anyway?

BlueReign
03-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Its not that. T2s knees are even more messed up and we keep giving him offers. IMO, KP was a safer pickup then T2. What did T2 get anyway?
I believe TT signed a vet minimum contract for one year with certain escalators based on performance. I just don't think KP wanted to play here anymore if he couldn't get a long term commitment.

Drez
03-19-2013, 04:25 PM
No way the Giants should of franchised him, but he would of jumped all over a 1 year 3M deal no? Seems to work for both parties.How do you know that KP would have signed a 1 year deal from us at all? This move smells to me like KP wanted a long term, decently high money contract from us or none at all.

Sovereign
03-20-2013, 02:11 AM
Look on the bright side, David Diehl is still on this team for 4 million freaking dollars.