PDA

View Full Version : Meyers contract tweet

sethm
03-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Ohm Youngmisuk ‏@NotoriousOHM
Cap maneuvering RT @JennyVrentas: Weird contract structure for new Giants TE Brandon Myers. Four-year contract but last 3 years are voidable

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
Myers will receive a $1.5M signing bonus, $725K base fully guaranteed + $25K workout bonus. #nyg

titwio
03-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Myers' deal with the Giants is basically one year, $2.25 million. Everything after that is voidable.

http://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/statuses/313756033933787136

Drez
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Definitely an interesting structure.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
http://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/statuses/313756033933787136

Good move

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Less than half of what Bennett is getting from Chicago.

A lot cheaper than I thought he'd come for.

sethm
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Good move

Without a doubt. GM moves like these are just thinking out of the box IMO

speed3freak
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Why the voidable 3 years though? Such a strange contract.

sethm
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Why the voidable 3 years though? Such a strange contract.

I will guess but I assure you I am prolly wrong. If the contract portion is unilateral by either party it gives both parties an out based on production. My guess the agent asked for this instead of other considerations. i.e. larger signing bonus or performance incentives.

If the void is bilateral I have no guess at all

miked1958
03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Why the voidable 3 years though? Such a strange contract.i guess gives the giants an out if he doesn't perform to a certain level. But allows them to keep him on board should he do well. Glad to hear this. Now we won't have that one an done deal we've been having with TEs. Should of done a similar deal with Murphy

darrin99
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
I will guess but I assure you I am prolly wrong. If the contract portion is unilateral by either party it gives both parties an out based on production. My guess the agent asked for this instead of other considerations. i.e. larger signing bonus or performance incentives.

If the void is bilateral I have no guess at all

My guess is that the option is up to the Giants, but I'm only guessing.

sethm
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
The "voidable" 3 years on Myers' deal each carry a salary of $4 million, making it a four-year, $14.25M deal -- though $12M of it is fake.

Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina
rather it shows up as dead $ the remaining years. Am I right @corryjoel ?

7m Patricia Traina Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina
If I am not mistaken, when a contract has voidable years, the prorated signing bonus doesn't accelerate...

Toadofsteel
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
My guess is that the option is up to the Giants, but I'm only guessing.

Basically I think it's a "show me" contract but without the hassle of free agency if we decide we do want to keep him for a while...

darrin99
03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Basically I think it's a "show me" contract but without the hassle of free agency if we decide we do want to keep him for a while...

Great deal for the team if it's true. We have him signed if he produces, and he's gone if he doesn't.

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 06:23 PM
this is a good move.. advantage JR

ozzie0075
03-18-2013, 06:34 PM
I also think it spreads his signing bonus over 4 years to keep the cap hit down.

Drez
03-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Why the voidable 3 years though? Such a strange contract.It's to spread the cap hit of the bonus out. PT also tweeted that she doesn't believe that prorated bonuses accelerate if those voidable years are voided. To be fair, though, she wasn't sure of that.

joemorrisforprez
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Kid needs to work on his blocking, but he'll be learning from the best TE coach in the NFL.

Drez
03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Basically I think it's a "show me" contract but without the hassle of free agency if we decide we do want to keep him for a while...If we do want to keep him, we'll be paying $4m/yr.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Reese is a smart mother ****er. This contract screams, "We will no longer be a TE factory for the rest of the league!!!!"http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Drez
03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Reese is a smart mother ****er. This contract screams, "We will no longer be a TE factory for the rest of the league!!!!"http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)Actually, it says almost the exact opposite. The last 3 years are voidable. They are also for $4m a year. What do you think the chances are we pick those years up?

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Actually, it says almost the exact opposite. The last 3 years are voidable. They are also for $4m a year. What do you think the chances are we pick those years up?How in the hell do you get the opposite? Thats probably one of the most GM friendly contracts ever. If he sucks they cut him loose if not they honor the remaining 3 years.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
How in the hell do you get the opposite? Thats probably one of the most GM friendly contracts ever. If he sucks they cut him loose if not they honor the remaining 3 years.I get that this isn't really a 4 year contract out of it and that Myers will not likely be here next year. You don't have 3 voidable years on a 4 year contract if you think the player is actually going to be around for more than 1 year. Also, the value of those 3 years tell me that he isn't going be around here. We just don't pay $4m/yr for TEs.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
How in the hell do you get the opposite? Thats probably one of the most GM friendly contracts ever. If he sucks they cut him loose if not they honor the remaining 3 years.

Agree 100%. This is probably the most team friendly contract I ever saw. If he's great, we keep him for still less than what other TEs made this year. If he bombs, he's gone. Simple as that.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Agree 100%. This is probably the most team friendly contract I ever saw. If he's great, we keep him for still less than what other TEs made this year. If he bombs, he's gone. Simple as that.I wasn't saying it wasn't team friendly. I was saying that it doesn't say that we're not going to be a TE factory for the rest of the NFL. This contract has 1 year all over it.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I wasn't saying it wasn't team friendly. I was saying that it doesn't say that we're not going to be a TE factory for the rest of the NFL. This contract has 1 year all over it.

Perhaps. ....and.if has close to a year he had last year, guaranteed he'll be back and $4m will be bargain. It's win win for the Giants.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
I get that this isn't really a 4 year contract out of it and that Myers will not likely be here next year. You don't have 3 voidable years on a 4 year contract if you think the player is actually going to be around for more than 1 year. Also, the value of those 3 years tell me that he isn't going be around here. We just don't pay $4m/yr for TEs. Maybe your not understanding, this actually works in favor of the Giants, not Myers. Bennett would be here for 2013 if Reese would have had one of these gems of a contract signed.

Also, Myers could very well be worth 4m/yr. He was ranked the #4 TE in the league last year behind Witten, Gonzalez and Graham.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Perhaps. ....and.if has close to a year he had last year, guaranteed he'll be back and $4m will be bargain. It's win win for the Giants.This.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Maybe your not understanding, this actually works in favor of the Giants, not Myers. Bennett would be here for 2013 if Reese would have had one of these gems of a contract signed.

Also, Myers could very well be worth 4m/yr. He was ranked the #4 TE in the league last year behind Witten, Gonzalez and Graham.I just don't think the guy is going to play more than 1 year of that contract. We don't pay TEs $4m/yr. I think you'd have to go all the way back to Shockey to even get a TE here that could even sniff $4m/yr. This is a 1 year contract. I would be shocked if he's here next year on that contract.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I just don't think the guy is going to play more than 1 year of that contract. We don't pay TEs $4m/yr. I think you'd have to go all the way back to Shockey to even get a TE here that could even sniff $4m/yr. This is a 1 year contract. I would be shocked if he's here next year on that contract.

Off course they haven't. Look at who out TEs were after Shockey!

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Off course they haven't. Look at who out TEs were after Shockey!Bennett was worth $4m/yr. Hell, the Bears thought he was worth $5m.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Bennett was worth $4m/yr. Hell, the Bears thought he was worth $5m.You think Bennett is worth 4m/yr and not Myers?

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:31 PM
You think Bennett is worth 4m/yr and not Myers?Did I say Myers wasn't? I just said we don't pay TEs $4m/yr.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Did I say Myers wasn't? I just said we don't pay TEs $4m/yr.Did I say that you said he wasn't? It was just a question.

NYGabriel
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
If Meyers has a great year i'm sure they'll pay the 4mil.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Did I say that you said he wasn't? It was just a question.It was more than implied when you asked if I thought Bennett was worth $4m and not Myers, lol.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
It was more than implied when you asked if I thought Bennett was worth $4m and not Myers, lol. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/cool.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 11:40 PM
The Giants are supposed to have a lot of cap space next year so if he produces this year he may very well play another. Anyway, its a great deal and puts the Giants in the drivers seat.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Ohm Youngmisuk ‏@NotoriousOHM
Cap maneuvering RT @JennyVrentas: Weird contract structure for new Giants TE Brandon Myers. Four-year contract but last 3 years are voidable

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
Myers will receive a $1.5M signing bonus, $725K base fully guaranteed + $25K workout bonus. #nyg

Thanks for the update.

giantsfan420
03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I get that this isn't really a 4 year contract out of it and that Myers will not likely be here next year. You don't have 3 voidable years on a 4 year contract if you think the player is actually going to be around for more than 1 year. Also, the value of those 3 years tell me that he isn't going be around here. We just don't pay $4m/yr for TEs.exactly. this is basically a 1 yr show me contract that the "show me" part has gotta be worth 4 mil. meaning, he'll have to have a yr like he just did in oakland for us to keep him around at 4 mil per...

giantsfan420
03-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Bennett was worth $4m/yr. Hell, the Bears thought he was worth $5m.i doubt we even offered this deal to MB. if we did, guarantee MB is a giant. remember his hometown discount talk? this woulda been the definition of hometown discount...oh well.

if he was really the 4th rated TE in the pass game, im more optimistic. JR is basically saying "perform like u did last yr and u'll stick around and earn that 4 mil"...nice job by JR just wish we coulda kept MB

giantsfan420
03-19-2013, 12:09 AM
if we keep him for yr 2, r yrs 3 and 4 still voidable?