PDA

View Full Version : Meyers land 4-year, $14million contract

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM
I understand its "voidable at any time" but thats still one heck of a pay day for this kid.

almost $4mil/year

To put that into perspective thats 3x the per year salary of the contract KP just signed

TheAnalyst
03-18-2013, 08:40 PM
We will probably cut him after this year unless he goes bonkers. I still Thu k they feel Robinson will break out at some point.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 08:42 PM
I like this contract a lot.

This way if he has a 'break-out' year, he will still be in a Giants uniform in 2014+.

He wont be a FA and we wont just lose him like we have our last 3 TE's.

Thumbs up Giants FO

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 08:44 PM
I guessed 3 years for 12. At least it's lower than that.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
I must have underestimated his worth. I figured he was a guy who was considered to have had a freak season last year (Carsons favorite target in a bad offense on a bad team).

So when you transfer a guy like this to the NFC East, things are slightly different. I really thought he would make no more than 2 mil a year.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 08:51 PM
The only thing guaranteed inthe contract is the first year which is only 750K salary and $1.5m signing bonus. Very cap friendly. If he's great we keep him. If not, c'ya.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Thats not pocket change. 2.3 million dollars for one year regardless if he turns out to be a Leaf or not. ..

FO must have faith in this kid

NYG4lifeNYK
03-18-2013, 08:54 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1898904853/JC_normal.jpg Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel (https://twitter.com/corryjoel) @Patricia_Traina (https://twitter.com/Patricia_Traina) The Giants will have a $1.125M cap charge in '14 for Brandon Myers if his contract voids to a 1-year deal after the season.

Meaning dead money.... let's hope hes GREAT.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
It's still half of what Bennett and Keller got, and Myers had a bigger year.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
It's still half of what Bennett and Keller got, and Myers had a bigger year.

And will have a better year with Eli than BOTH Bennet and Keller.

Book it.

Eli is going to convert on 3rd down much more this season.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
It won't take long for The Black Unicorn to wish he had Eli throwing to him, not Mr Cutler.

TCHOF
03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
I understand its "voidable at any time" but thats still one heck of a pay day for this kid.

almost $4mil/year

To put that into perspective thats 3x the per year salary of the contract KP just signed

How is it a heck of a pay day if he's not likely to see most of the money?

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I like this contract a lot.

This way if he has a 'break-out' year, he will still be in a Giants uniform in 2014+.

He wont be a FA and we wont just lose him like we have our last 3 TE's.

Thumbs up Giants FOWhen was the last time we paid a TE $4m/yr? Shockey, maybe?

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah, he better be a monster if he wants to see anything past year 1.

nycsportzfan
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Dude, u people still don't get it? This dudes a perfect firt for our offense and were gonna score a ton of points wth Myers, Nicks, and Cruz and Randle, and Wilson.. I wasen't gassing this signing for nothing, this kid can play!

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
this is a win win.. If he can't cut it he'll be gone.. but I think he going to be great for Big Blue

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
When was the last time we paid a TE $4m/yr? Shockey, maybe?
We haven't had one worth $4m since Shockey.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
We haven't had one worth $4m since Shockey.Obviously the Bears disagree with you. I would mention the Raiders, but that'd just be silly. They're the Raiders. Though, KC did give Boss $3m/yr.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm just glad there's a multi-year option. The revolving door has to stop sometime.

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm just glad there's a multi-year option. The revolving door has to stop sometime.

I agree with this

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Obviously the Bears disagree with you. I would mention the Raiders, but that'd just be silly. They're the Raiders. Though, KC did give Boss $3m/yr.

The Bears look silly rushing out giving him that contract. What would you or any other team rather have? Myers with his deal or Bennett and his deal?

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:30 PM
The Bears look silly rushing out giving him that contract. What would you or any other team rather have? Myers with his deal or Bennett and his deal?Bennett was worth $4m at least. He's a very good blocker and a good receiver, too. He still had room to improve his game as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do very much like the Myers signing, I just see it as another 1 year contract.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 09:31 PM
When was the last time we paid a TE $4m/yr? Shockey, maybe?

you're probably right. Lets see, off the top of my head our 'post-shockey- TE's have been: Shiancoe, Boss, Ballard, Pascoe, Bennet.... i think none of them made more than what Meyers will make if he stays after this season.

How is it a heck of a pay day if he's not likely to see most of the money?

Because 2.3 million is guaranteed. (signing bonus + first year salary)

And this Meyers kid isnt a big name, outside of last year he hasn't done a heck of a lot. I mean really, he was a 6th round draft pick in '09. If he does next to nothing this year, $2.3 million is not a good payday?
Or, If he plays out his contract, $14million for 4 years isnt a good payday?

just to put into perspective: Brandon Myers had 16 catches for 151 yards in 2011.
Bear Pascoe had 12 catches for 136 yards in 2011.

other than a big year in a bad offense on a bad team (and likely carson palmers favorite safety target) Myers has gotten a nice signing.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
And this Meyers kid isnt a big name, outside of last year he hast done a heck of a lot. I mean heck, he was a 6th round draft pick in '09. If he plays out his contract, $14million for 4 years isnt a good payday?

It's not until he's actually getting it.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
you're probably right. Lets see, off the top of my head our 'post-shockey- TE's have been: Shiancoe, Boss, Ballard, Pascoe, Bennet.... i think none of them made more than what Meyers will make if he stays after this season.

Because 2.3 million is guaranteed. (signing bonus + first year salary)

Shiancoe walked while Shockey was still here. Granted, it would prove to be Shockey's last season here, but still, lol.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Honestly, Shiancoe left and upped his game big time in Minnesota. While Shockey went down south and lost his game.

In hindsight we should have given Visante the long-term deal IMO

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Honestly, Shiancoe left and upped his game big time in Minnesota. While Shockey went down south and lost his game.

In hindsight we should have given Visante the long-term deal IMO
I'm not sure that Shiancoe really fitted with what the Giants wanted to do. It seemed to work out best for both sides when they parted.

CowboysSuck
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
im surprised Pope didnt see the potential in shiancoe

or perhaps he did and knew it wasnt THAT great and thought we could do better with cheaper

Greatone80
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Is anyone thinking of getting his jersey? Im just curious.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:51 PM
im surprised Pope didnt see the potential in shiancoe

or perhaps he did and knew it wasnt THAT great and thought we could do better with cheaper

We had Shockey, who at the time wasn't the problem child he eventually turned into.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Is anyone thinking of getting his jersey? Im just curious.

Why? He's done nothing as a Giant, and may not be here next season.

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
53 catches, 642 yards.

Drez
03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
53 catches, 642 yards.Bennett's stats?

giantsfan420
03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
wtf, how did we just not re-sign MB?? further, if u didnt want to resign MB, why not use the money spent on meyers on Cruz? Or part of that money? confused with this...why didnt we just give MB a multi yr deal last yr? eh. MB is gonna kill it in chicago those thinking otherwise musta watched with their eyes closed last yr...
meyers could be good too, but he gets no YAC, and he doesnt have the speed to challenge downfield really. hes a great underneath option, so he might be a safety valve, chip and release into a route type TE...i dunno. dude better be a capable blocker like MB was for this contract

GameTime
03-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Just produce.....then whatever they pay him will be worth it......

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
wtf, how did we just not re-sign MB?? further, if u didnt want to resign MB, why not use the money spent on meyers on Cruz? Or part of that money? confused with this...why didnt we just give MB a multi yr deal last yr? eh. MB is gonna kill it in chicago those thinking otherwise musta watched with their eyes closed last yr...
meyers could be good too, but he gets no YAC, and he doesnt have the speed to challenge downfield really. hes a great underneath option, so he might be a safety valve, chip and release into a route type TE...i dunno. dude better be a capable blocker like MB was for this contract
Bennett cost too much. 20 million vs 14 million. That's a big difference. Who knows if Myers is even here to stay. The voidable portion might suggest he won't be.

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
meyers could be good too, but he gets no YAC, and he doesnt have the speed to challenge downfield really. hes a great underneath option, so he might be a safety valve, chip and release into a route type TE...i dunno. dude better be a capable blocker like MB was for this contractBecause we didn't know how he would pan out. He's not irreplaceable.

giantsfan420
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
The Bears look silly rushing out giving him that contract. What would you or any other team rather have? Myers with his deal or Bennett and his deal?its a diff of 1.5 mil per season. id gladly do that, its chump change esp when u consider MB is practically an OL with his blocking

Drez
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
meyers could be good too, but he gets no YAC, and he doesnt have the speed to challenge downfield really. hes a great underneath option, so he might be a safety valve, chip and release into a route type TE...i dunno. dude better be a capable blocker like MB was for this contract34% of Myers yards were YAC.

nycsportzfan
03-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Is anyone thinking of getting his jersey? Im just curious. I am! I've raved about this signing since i heard about it, and still am giddy about it.. So least i could do is get the guys jersey..lol I think we got a fan faveorite on our hands and Jerry Reees latest gem!

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Bennett's stats?Wow, very close. Didn't realize that lol.

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Wait no, I was predicting Myers' numbers. What thread am I in? Wtf lol

Drez
03-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Wow, very close. Didn't realize that lol.Yeah, I looked it up, you were 2 or 3 catches off and I think exactly right on with yards, lol.

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I looked it up, you were 2 or 3 catches off and I think exactly right on with yards, lol.Go subconscious mind! Yeah, I need a life lol

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Go subconscious mind! Yeah, I need a life lolgenious.

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 10:34 PM
genious.Should I correct spelling when I'm being complimented? Ahhhhhh, I dont know, I dont know!

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Should I correct spelling when I'm being complimented? Ahhhhhh, I dont know, I dont know!I'm guessing you weren't here for the NASCARBLITZ fiasco...

Hence the misspelling of "genius".

gmen0820
03-18-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm guessing you weren't here for the NASCARBLITZ fiasco...

Hence the misspelling of "genius".I don't know who that is, but just like the defensive package, he's probably irrelevant!

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I don't know who that is, but just like the defensive package, he's probably irrelevant!He was..an interesting poster.

mercurio
03-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Great signing. Too bad we couldn't get this kind of contract last year with Bennett.

blue_truth
03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
+1

JJC7301
03-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a fair contract for a good TE to me, plus it's team-friendly.

What you just said about KP hurts. We should have signed him for the same contract that he signed with the Eagles.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:31 AM

almost $4mil/year

Win-win situation for both but I will say I was kind of surprised to see the final contract structure.

miked1958
03-19-2013, 12:59 AM
I understand its "voidable at any time" but thats still one heck of a pay day for this kid.almost $4mil/yearTo put that into perspective thats 3x the per year salary of the contract KP just signed

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?29141-Meyers-contract-tweet

What was wrong with this thread made hours or so before this one lol.. Talked about the giants being able to void the final 3 yrs of the contract. But it protects against what happened with Bennett this yr.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Paul Schwartz
@NYPost_Schwartz
Follow
Jerry Reese knows he's given TE coach Mike Pope lots of raw players. Not so this time with Brandon Myers: sulia.com/c/new-york-gia…
7:07pm - 18 Mar 13

DandyDon
03-19-2013, 01:38 AM

almost $4mil/year

The phrasing in the NFL media is amazing. He signed a contract for 1 year @ a little over 2 mil? Nice, but hardly a 4 year $14 million contract. Not sure how much of Bennett's was guaranteed, but that's what makes the contract.

If its not guaranteed, and can be cancelled at any time after the first year, its not 4-year, $14million contract. But its good for headlines.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Paul Schwartz
@NYPost_Schwartz
Follow
A talk with the [Kevin] Boss helped convince TE Brandon Myers to sign with the Giants. Details here: sulia.com/c/new-york-gia…
8:56am - 18 Mar 13

Great stuff !!!

Rudyy
03-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Paul Schwartz
@NYPost_Schwartz
Follow
A talk with the [Kevin] Boss helped convince TE Brandon Myers to sign with the Giants. Details here: sulia.com/c/new-york-gia…
8:56am - 18 Mar 13

Great stuff !!!That's awesome!