PDA

View Full Version : John Mara speaks on Cruz

NYG4lifeNYK
03-18-2013, 08:54 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1417559662/RalphPic_normal.jpg Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN (https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN)
Will Victor Cruz's agent switch help the Giants? John Mara told @SiriusXMNFL tonight, "Well, we ...

... weren’t getting anywhere with the previous agent (Malik Shareef) so hopefully with Tom Condon we’ll be able to get something done. I just don’t have a feel for that one way or another. It’s really up to them. Do they want to take the deal now or take their chances?" #NYG 5 minutes ago

So ready for this to end.....

darrin99
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Hmm. It almost sounds like he has a take it or leave it offer.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM

I know :(

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
And so it begins in earnest

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 08:58 PM

I doubt that's the case

NYG4lifeNYK
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
I doubt that's the case

I'm sure it's not as black and white as that... just doesn't sound like this is about to end soon.

nhpgiantsfan
03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
It sounds like they made the highest offer that they are going to make.

darrin99
03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
I doubt that's the case

I'm sure it's not, but it sounds like they think their initial offer is fair, and they aren't going to move too much.

Flip Empty
03-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I guess Cruz's camp is waiting to see if another team makes a move. I doubt he wants to play under a tender. If no-one bites then he'll probably sign.

TheAnalyst
03-18-2013, 09:11 PM
God help us all of he goes to the Cowboys. We need to work something out. Tell Eli to help out his favorite target.

Although, the cowboys don't have any cap. Eagles are too high in the draft to make the deal. I still see the Colts, Rams, Vikings all wanting to make this happen somehow.

Drez
03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
God help us all of he goes to the Cowboys. We need to work something out. Tell Eli to help out his favorite target.

Although, the cowboys don't have any cap. Eagles are too high in the draft to make the deal. I still see the Colts, Rams, Vikings all wanting to make this happen somehow.The Cowboys don't have the cap and need their 1st for OL. They also have 2 excellent receivers.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm sure it's not as black and white as that... just doesn't sound like this is about to end soon.

The offer is on the table. Tom Condon has just come on board for Cruz. He's going to look at the language, all of it, and see what the deal is. Because of the tender Cruz and Condon have decisions to make. Do they wait out the entire offer sheet period to see what develops or do they set an artificial time limit? Does Condon KNOW if there will be any offers and, if he does, is there any reason not to negotiate with Reese in good faith?

In one sense, having an offer sheet simplifies things for Cruz. If they like the offer, they just hand it over to Reese who then has 5 days to match or say adios. But, if there is no offer sheet, the Cruz team has two options. Take the tender and risk negotiating a deal during the season. That's a risk for Cruz if he doesn't have a good year. It's a risk for the team if he has a blow out year and will then want even more $$.

I think the sooner Condon and Reese get into face to face conversations things will move fairly rapidly. Let's not forget, Cruz wanted an agent who could work better with the team and now he has that. Judging from Mara's most recent comment the old agent was a road block. It's always better to have negotiators who work well together.

It may take some time, but if they want to get it right. There's is no rush in terms of interfering with team activity right now so I don't know that we can expect a super quick resolution. There are a lot of reasons for Cruz to say yes, will he?

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I can't wait till this is over.. this is Jeremy Lin x 20

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm sure it's not, but it sounds like they think their initial offer is fair, and they aren't going to move too much.

Don't believe that. The are going to open with what they all know is a low b all offer. Bear in mind, they were dealing with a hard head which may have affected their original offer. Now they are dealing with a guy they appreciate as a fair negotiator. BIG DIFFERENCE.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:22 PM
I can't wait till this is over.. this is Jeremy Lin x 20

It takes time to get it right for both sides. They want it done too.

BigBlueAllDay
03-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Taking chances = getting no offers and playing under the tender or getting the best offer sheet possible that's worth less than what the Giants are offering because all the Giants have to do is match the offer sheet.

RoanokeFan
03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Taking chances = getting no offers and playing under the tender or getting the best offer sheet possible that's worth less than what the Giants are offering because all the Giants have to do is match the offer sheet.

I think the Giants will match any offer up to $8M

Drez
03-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I think the Giants will match any offer up to $8MThat's my thinking as well. Let's just hope a team with a ton of cap room doesn't offer him like $15m in the first year, though.

Carter.525
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
That's my thinking as well. Let's just hope a team with a ton of cap room doesn't offer him like $15m in the first year, though.

poison pill.. if this happenens, bye bye Victor

Rudyy
03-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Give him a 7 year 100 million dollar deal.

gfd_2
03-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Given that Welker - who is on the down side of his career - signed a 2 year 12 million dollar deal, I could see the Giants offering Cruz a 4 year 32 million dollar (with bonus incentives) contract.The younger Cruz has more potential upside. I'd love to see the local guy stay in blue.

nhpgiantsfan
03-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Don't believe that. The are going to open with what they all know is a low b all offer. Bear in mind, they were dealing with a hard head which may have affected their original offer. Now they are dealing with a guy they appreciate as a fair negotiator. BIG DIFFERENCE.

For all we know they could be long past the low ball offer period. The may have hit their high offer before Cruz even changed agents, which may be what prompted the agent change to begin with.

For me, I keep going back to Mara's remarks about 10 days ago. "We made him an offer that would make him a very rich young man." That comment really made me feel like they had a number in mind for Cruz and if he doesn't take it, then they will let him play it out.

It would seem to me that for every day Cruz doesn't get any other offers, it kind of weakens his hand a little more.

Giants are doing the right thing here!

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Yea, the staring game continues.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1417559662/RalphPic_normal.jpg Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN (https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN)
Will Victor Cruz's agent switch help the Giants? John Mara told @SiriusXMNFL tonight, "Well, we ...

... werenít getting anywhere with the previous agent (Malik Shareef) so hopefully with Tom Condon weíll be able to get something done. I just donít have a feel for that one way or another. Itís really up to them. Do they want to take the deal now or take their chances?" #NYG 5 minutes ago

Mr. Mara believes and trusts Reese will do what it takes to end this one way or the other. Don't see ownership ( Mr. Mara or Tisch ) crossing the line to negotiate directly .

Buddy333
03-18-2013, 10:46 PM
It does sound like they made him an offer and its u to I'm to take it or leave it.

G-Men Surg.
03-18-2013, 10:49 PM
It does sound like they made him an offer and its u to I'm to take it or leave it.
Sounds very final to me.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 07:06 AM
For all we know they could be long past the low ball offer period. The may have hit their high offer before Cruz even changed agents, which may be what prompted the agent change to begin with.

For me, I keep going back to Mara's remarks about 10 days ago. "We made him an offer that would make him a very rich young man." That comment really made me feel like they had a number in mind for Cruz and if he doesn't take it, then they will let him play it out.

It would seem to me that for every day Cruz doesn't get any other offers, it kind of weakens his hand a little more.

Giants are doing the right thing here!

Both sides are now doing the right thnig

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 07:07 AM
That's my thinking as well. Let's just hope a team with a ton of cap room doesn't offer him like $15m in the first year, though.

Now the Rams are out of the hunt. Long term Giants deal coming

StrahanSoup92
03-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Everyone is talking like Cruz already has an offer on the table from the Giants? Is this even true? Cruz doesnt have to take anything and eat it, and to my knowledge nothing has been even offered to him. HES STILL UNDER CONTRACT!!!!

StrahanSoup92
03-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Now the Rams are out of the hunt. Long term Giants deal coming

Hopefully sooner rather than later. But I cant see them making him a big offer, not when they can wait a year.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Mr. Mara believes and trusts Reese will do what it takes to end this one way or the other. Don't see ownership ( Mr. Mara or Tisch ) crossing the line to negotiate directly .

You can bet on that

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Hopefully sooner rather than later. But I cant see them making him a big offer, not when they can wait a year.

Understand, they have already made their initial offer. It's on the table now.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Everyone is talking like Cruz already has an offer on the table from the Giants? Is this even true? Cruz doesnt have to take anything and eat it, and to my knowledge nothing has been even offered to him. HES STILL UNDER CONTRACT!!!!

YES, he already has an offer from the Giants for a long term contract.

I think he's technically not still under contract as he's not signed his tender.

Buddy333
03-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Yeah but he doesn't have to take that offer. He could just play this year and if he has a good season ask for even more next year. Or, he can take the deal.

domfin
03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't think Cruz is thought as highly around the league as he is in NY. I don't think a team is going to pay 8-10M plus give up a #1. I could be wrong.

nycisgreat
03-19-2013, 08:24 AM

... werenít getting anywhere with the previous agent (Malik Shareef) so hopefully with Tom Condon weíll be able to get something done. I just donít have a feel for that one way or another. Itís really up to them. Do they want to take the deal now or take their chances?" #NYG 5 minutes ago

I agree. Too much suspense.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:26 AM

How far they move very much depends on Tom Condon, but they will move some.

miked1958
03-19-2013, 08:28 AM
God help us all of he goes to the Cowboys. We need to work something out. Tell Eli to help out his favorite target.Although, the cowboys don't have any cap. Eagles are too high in the draft to make the deal. I still see the Colts, Rams, Vikings all wanting to make this happen somehow.everyone of those teams have announced that they are out of the hunt

StrahanSoup92
03-19-2013, 08:29 AM
YES, he already has an offer from the Giants for a long term contract.

I think he's technically not still under contract as he's not signed his tender.

Anyone know what that original offer was? Im sure it was low ball but im curious.

Maybe I dont understand the tender entirely, but are you saying Cruz has an option not to stay? If no offers are made from other teams that is.

miked1958
03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1417559662/RalphPic_normal.jpg Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN (https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN)Will Victor Cruz's agent switch help the Giants? John Mara told @SiriusXMNFL tonight, "Well, we ... ... werenít getting anywhere with the previous agent (Malik Shareef) so hopefully with Tom Condon weíll be able to get something done. I just donít have a feel for that one way or another. Itís really up to them. Do they want to take the deal now or take their chances?" #NYG 5 minutes agoSo ready for this to end.....he just means take the offer on the table or wait it out in hopes for a better one. Waiting it out could mean playing under the tender in hopes he can cash in as an UFA later. It's already been said That our owners feel Cruz will earn more then the 6m Welker and amendola got per yr. so Mara is not saying its a take it or leave it at all

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Anyone know what that original offer was? Im sure it was low ball but im curious.

Maybe I dont understand the tender entirely, but are you saying Cruz has an option not to stay? If no offers are made from other teams that is.

No we don't because the team won't discuss numbers. But Tisch makes me think it's above $6M

miked1958
Anyone know what that original offer was? Im sure it was low ball but im curious.Maybe I dont understand the tender entirely, but are you saying Cruz has an option not to stay? If no offers are made from other teams that is.not sure thinking somewhere in the 6m per season range with incentives. It has been said if he accepts it would make Cruz a very rich young man. However it doesn't matter cause the ball is now in victors court. Giants have no reason to up the offer if no team puts in an offer sheet

StrahanSoup92
I don't think Cruz is thought as highly around the league as he is in NY. I don't think a team is going to pay 8-10M plus give up a #1. I could be wrong.

Welker didnt resign with the Pats, tried FA, and actually got less than what the Pats offered him. At least thats what Robert Kraft said. The value for Cruz may be higher than the 6m Welker got, but not a whole lot more.

I also think he is valued higher here than the rest of the league, Cruz wont get this kind of offer, plus a 1st rounder. Hes staying in NY.

StrahanSoup92
03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
not sure thinking somewhere in the 6m per season range with incentives. It has been said if he accepts it would make Cruz a very rich young man. However it doesn't matter cause the ball is now in victors court. Giants have no reason to up the offer if no team puts in an offer sheet

Exactly, the Giants can just sit and wait, and they will.

RoanokeFan
he just means take the offer on the table or wait it out in hopes for a better one. Waiting it out could mean playing under the tender in hopes he can cash in as an UFA later. It's already been said That our owners feel Cruz will earn more then the 6m Welker and amendola got per yr. so Mara is not saying its a take it or leave it at all

No negotiation with a play maker starts out take it or leave it. It could get to that point, but it's not even close to that with a new, respected agent on the playing field now.

Morehead State
I think the Giants will match any offer up to $8M
I think he's getting $5 to $6MM with a cap friendly deal this year. No more than a $3MM hit this season.

I just don't see us paying $8MM/year. I'd rather have the pick and the cap space.
And I love Victor Cruz. I just love the Giants a lot more.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:37 AM
not sure thinking somewhere in the 6m per season range with incentives. It has been said if he accepts it would make Cruz a very rich young man. However it doesn't matter cause the ball is now in victors court. Giants have no reason to up the offer if no team puts in an offer sheet

Every side of a negotiation wants to be able to come away with a "win." There will be movement off of the original offer, but who knows how much?