PDA

View Full Version : Full Reese Quote on Louis Murphy: We havenít had a guy who can run like this guy."

NYG4lifeNYK
03-19-2013, 12:34 AM
"I think he's gonna add another dimension to our offense,'' Reese said. "We have a scout named Jeremiah Davis and he talks about guys being a knife. This guy is a knife. This guy can take the top off your defense. He's an interesting guy. He gives us a different dimension in our offense. If we have the same guys, if we have Nicks back healthy and we have Cruz back this guy gives you a deep threat that we havenít had. We havenít had a guy who can run like this guy.''

Seems Reese thinks very highly of him despite a lot of the hate on here.

EJ Blue
03-19-2013, 12:48 AM
He's so good that I had to google him to see who he was.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
He is indeed a really good pickup. He will spell our young buck David Wilson some of his ST duties now that he's the lead dog at RB.
Another great move with lots of upside .

myles2424
03-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Shame on you then...

miked1958
03-19-2013, 01:07 AM
With the way nicks and Cruz run away from people with YAC sometimes turning routine short passes into long 75 yard TDs. It will be interesting to see how much faster this guy is then them

JJC7301
03-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Wow, these highlights were from his rookie year. Looks like a pretty darn good rookie year. Who is this guy, why didn't the Raiders keep him, and how did we get him so cheap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ph1ZYx7EKw

darrin99
03-19-2013, 01:27 AM
, and how did we get him so cheap?

He did nothing the last 2 years.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Eli loves him some deep ball.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-19-2013, 01:31 AM

jamarcus russell and carson palmer were his QB's on a team devoid of talent in most areas. he is fast, runs nice routes, goes after the ball, and he can block. he was cheap, what is not to like? I don't get it, if this team signed an all pro at evey position some of you would still complain.

darrin99
03-19-2013, 01:35 AM
jamarcus russell and carson palmer were his QB's on a team devoid of talent in most areas.

Cam Newton was his QB last year.

giantsfan420
03-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Wow, these highlights were from his rookie year. Looks like a pretty darn good rookie year. Who is this guy, why didn't the Raiders keep him, and how did we get him so cheap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ph1ZYx7EKwkeep in mind. this was the draft they took heyword bey like 7th overall lmfao. it was my belief that davis simply wanted dhb to be the guy and when murphy started showing he was clearly better, it mucked things up a little. his first 2 yrs in oakland were pretty awesome considering the qbs he had; j.russel and some gradkowszhicki dude lol. but year 3 he either got hurt or there was a FO issue, bc year 4 he was in Carolina.

the reason we got him so cheap is bc wrs are dime a dozen when u get below a 1/2/3 depth chart guy...he simply has to regain those first couple yrs of play which with eli i am 100% confident will happen. this was a great signing imho and he will contribute.

giantsfan420
03-19-2013, 01:41 AM
also, ther eason we got him cheap is bc imo he isnt gonna end up being a #1 or 2 wr. he's a perfect role player though and thats what we need and he can look like a 1 or 2 ironically in being our role player. hes gonna run a lot of the routes MM ran. A lot of downfield stuff just to show defenses they have to keep honest and defend it.

only, and i mean the only downside i see from this, is it will take snaps away from rr. but i dont see that as an issue bc i think we want to develop rr into a #1 or 2 WR. we can use him and murphy as the 3rd wr and both will get plenty of targets.

darrin99
03-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I don't get it, if this team signed an all pro at evey position some of you would still complain.

Who's complaining? Someone asked why he was so cheap, and I answered him.

giantsfan420
03-19-2013, 01:53 AM
he will be our version of baltimore's jacoby jones/a poor mans pierre garcon

mainefan
03-19-2013, 07:12 AM
The way the guy blocks is what impressed me the most. In addition, I think he will become a fan favorite right away. Potentially a great pick up.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 07:55 AM
"I think he's gonna add another dimension to our offense,'' Reese said. "We have a scout named Jeremiah Davis and he talks about guys being a knife. This guy is a knife. This guy can take the top off your defense. He's an interesting guy. He gives us a different dimension in our offense. If we have the same guys, if we have Nicks back healthy and we have Cruz back this guy gives you a deep threat that we haven’t had. We haven’t had a guy who can run like this guy.''

Let's hope he's all that. I also remember Reese saying how Sinorice Moss "catches everything thrown to him."

titwio
03-19-2013, 08:06 AM
I like his height and frame but I don't see his speed in his highlights and I've been going through everything I can find on the guy. He doesn't look like a burner on the field to me. I hope I'm wrong cause I've been speaking out about the Giants needing a vertical threat since Mario left. I wanted Randle to be that guy but don't think it's suits him. Makes me wonder if they're planning on running more 4 receiver sets or just taking Randle off the field in certain 3 receiver situations.

Honestly I hope Murphy does turn into that deep guy but I'm not getting my hopes up on him. To me he reminds me Devon Thomas who had a very similar skillset.

Mercury
03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Let's hope he's all that. I also remember Reese saying how Sinorice Moss "catches everything thrown to him."

Moss did catch everything thrown to him. But he'd run back to the ball and end up two yards short of a first down, making us punt on 4th down.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
"I think he's gonna add another dimension to our offense,'' Reese said. "We have a scout named Jeremiah Davis and he talks about guys being a knife. This guy is a knife. This guy can take the top off your defense. He's an interesting guy. He gives us a different dimension in our offense. If we have the same guys, if we have Nicks back healthy and we have Cruz back this guy gives you a deep threat that we havenít had. We havenít had a guy who can run like this guy.''

Let me guess ... he's the JPP of receivers :rolleyes:

Buddy333
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Well he was with the Raiders and then played with the Panthers who had a QB that struggled in his second season.

Duckdownman
03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
With the way nicks and Cruz run away from people with YAC sometimes turning routine short passes into long 75 yard TDs. It will be interesting to see how much faster this guy is then them

Nicks isn't "fast" by receiver standard. His YAC aren't a result of speed but rather post catch moves. Cruz on the other hand is quick, often catching full stride and doesn't lose too much speed when breaking. Murphy is flat out fast, which I think the quote is speaking about. The term "knife" seems to imply elusiveness though. Similar to what we had with jamaar Taylor a few years back. I just hope he stays healthy and can catch. He was impressive as a rookie

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
I find these types of threads funny. What did you expect Reese to say? That the guy is horrible?

rebelfan1966
03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Let's hope Eli can get synched up with him (timing wise) and they can make the defense defend the long ball while opening up the run game.

GameTime
03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
hope Eli has the arm strength to hit this guy in stride......:cool:

njg85m
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
I've been real excited about this since the day we signed him. Surprised more people aren't looking forward to this as much as me. I can only guess that most of us here just haven't seen enough of him to see the tremendous upside he brings.

As pointed out, He's literally never had a QB. He went from Tebow, to Jamarcus Russell.

Call me crazy, but now that he gets to work with a WR friendly QB like Eli, I could easily see Murphy becoming a breakout star on the Giants. Good hands, pretty good route running, unbelievable speed.

Yes friends, I'm stoked.

GeoGoGo
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Don't worry. The front ofice knows more than you. They know who he is.

You people are rediculous.

Flip Empty
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
As pointed out, He's literally never had a QB. He went from Tebow, to Jamarcus Russell.

He's gone JaMarcus Russell/Bruce Gradkowsi - Jason Campbell - Carson Palmer - Cam Newton

The guys he's had have gotten progressively better but his production hasn't followed suit.

Well he was with the Raiders and then played with the Panthers who had a QB that struggled in his second season.
Newton actually did quite well during the latter half of 2012.

njg85m
03-19-2013, 11:09 AM
He's gone JaMarcus Russell/Bruce Gradkowsi - Jason Campbell - Carson Palmer - Cam Newton

The guys he's had have gotten progressively better but his production hasn't followed suit.

He also had Terrelle Pryor if I'm not mistaken.

When Cam Newton is the most WR friendly QB he has had, that's not saying a whole lot. That's my entire point. He has never had a QB who is capable of putting him in a situation of success. Now he has one.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised when this guy comes out of nowhere for us.

Edit: And you're right, he had Carson Palmer for a few weeks too.

Flip Empty
03-19-2013, 11:23 AM
When Cam Newton is the most WR friendly QB he has had, that's not saying a whole lot. That's my entire point. He has never had a QB who is capable of putting him in a situation of success. Now he has one.

I'm just saying, don't be surprised when this guy comes out of nowhere for us.
For sure. I'm not saying he'll do squat, I just don't see him becoming a regular contributor. Not with Nicks, Cruz and presumably Randle in front of him.

At best, I'm thinking Devery Henderson. At worst, Devin Thomas.

dezzzR
03-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Eh, Manningham looked faster, more explosive, more elusive than Murphy does, but well see.

Zaggs
03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Guy came cheap so not a big risk here. But production is a concern. His average has gone done since his first year except for 2011....when he had the least amount of receptions. It would be one thing if the average went down while receptions went up, but his highest number of catches was in his second year at only 41. Last year despite playing in all 16 games, he only had 25 catches from Cam. 41 catches on the Giants last year puts you just ahead of Hixon, 25 puts you just ahead of Randle (and Murphy was only 5th highest on the Panthers). So I'm guessing this is the Giants turning the page on Hixon's time here. Welcome Louis Murphy, your new 4th receiver.

AGiantDynasty
03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Reese makes everyone sound like all pro players..

titwio
03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Eh, Manningham looked faster, more explosive, more elusive than Murphy does, but well see.

I agree with this. I'm having trouble seeing the explosion and speed of a 4.3 guy. I remember watching him in Oakland too and thought he was just a solid receiver. Never knew he ran a 4.3 till the Giants signed him.

In Reese I trust though...hopefully I get to see it this season.

tonyt830
03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
hope Eli has the arm strength to hit this guy in stride......:cool:yup, we have to worry about that tired arm of Eli--LOL!!!

JB456
03-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Are you trying to prove his point? Cam was garbage last year and that team was terrible.

jax5338
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I think in his career Murphy has shown flashes of what we hope Jernigan would do. Quick downfield threat who they will run the ball with, etc. I could definitely see him making some noise in the offense this season if he can stay healthy and get the snaps Hixon did. The speed and talent all seem to be there.

darrin99
03-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Are you trying to prove his point? Cam was garbage last year and that team was terrible.

He didn't stop Steve Smith from having a big year, and he threw for almost the identical amount of yards as Eli.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-19-2013, 01:17 PM
He's a depth player that'll give another option in the return game, but he's NOT a blow the top off the defense burner. Don't know where JR saw that, and it's definitly not seen in his highlights.

MustWarnOthers
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Even ignoring Cruz (whom I hope definitely sticks around), if this guy works hard and falls in line with the Giants coaching staff, we'll have a pretty nice stable of receivers with good length and size.

6'1" Nicks, 6'2" Randle, 6'2" Murphy. A team can only have so many corners with the size to match that lineup.

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Eh, Jerrell Jernigan was suppose to be the "knife". We dont use those guys the right way in the offense.

DVision
03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Eh, Jerrell Jernigan was suppose to be the "knife". We dont use those guys the right way in the offense.

No he wasn't! He was supposed to be a slot replacement. Where does this stuff come from?

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-19-2013, 02:11 PM
He did nothing the last 2 years. Moss didn't either when he was with the Raiders.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
God forbid someone does better in a different environment, system with different players.

flashnando
03-19-2013, 02:17 PM

You mean he didn't have a QB that can get it to him for the past 2 years.

flashnando
03-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Moss didn't either when he was with the Raiders.

Great point!

GameTime
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
hey...speculation is all BS anyway. He will show what he can do.......

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
No he wasn't! He was supposed to be a slot replacement. Where does this stuff come from?

I heard several times when he was drafted he was suppose to provide a deep threat with his speed. He is lightning fast. But I didnt realize Murphy is 6'2'' so the point is moot now anyway. JJ is like 5'8''

BigBlue wins
03-19-2013, 02:35 PM
hey...speculation is all BS anyway. He will show what he can do.......

this

darrin99
03-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Then how did Steve Smith catch 73 passes last season for almost 1,200 yds, from the same QB?
This guy is the 4th or 5th receiver on our team, and some people are making him out to be the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice.

Zaggs
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM

That would make sense if Murphy was second on the Panthers in receptions. He wasn't. Or third, or fourth. If Cam Newton can hook up with Steve Smith 73 times, Greg Olsen 69 times, Brandon LaFell 44 times, and Mike Tolbert 27 times....I think he could've hooked up with Murphy more than 25 times if Murphy was good. Murphy has never had more than 41 catches in a season and averages 29. If we get the same production from Murphy as Hixon would have gotten (keeping in mind with Randle a year in Hixon would be 4th this seaon), good. But don't expect much better.

DVision
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Then how did Steve Smith catch 73 passes last season for almost 1,200 yds, from the same QB?
This guy is the 4th or 5th receiver on our team, and some people are making him out to be the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice.

Why are you comparing him to Steve Smith? He's one of the top 5 receivers in the league. Also if you look at Cam's numbers he doesn't spread the ball around much. He really only throws the ball to Smith and Olsen. Lastly, no one knows how he'll fit in our offense with Eli throwing him the ball. He's a better QB than any this kid has worked with and has a record of making guys around him better.

I don't think anyone is comparing him to Rice (or Smith at that matter except you and a few others). They (and Reese) are saying he could be a component that our offense has been missing. It could be a perfect fit for him and the organization! We don't know yet!

YATittle1962
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM

Jernigan is 5' 9" 185
Murphy is 6' 2" 200

big difference when it comes to WR

darrin99
03-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Why are you comparing him to Steve Smith?

Because people keep blaming Cam Newton for the fact that Murphy did nothing in his year in Carolina, despite the fact Cam's numbers for the season despite some brutal games, were eerily similar to Eli's.

Cam: 3869 YDS, 57.7 PCT, 19 TDs 12 INTs, 86.2 QBR
Eli: 3948 YDS, 59.9 PCT, 26 TDs 15 INTs, 87.2 QBR

DVision
03-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Because people keep blaming Cam Newton for the fact that Murphy did nothing in his year in Carolina, despite the fact Cam's numbers for the season despite some brutal games, were eerily similar to Eli's.

Cam: 3869 YDS, 57.7 PCT, 19 TDs 12 INTs, 86.2 QBR
Eli: 3948 YDS, 59.9 PCT, 26 TDs 15 INTs, 87.2 QBR

I see what your saying. I hate comparing to SB teams, but If he gives us Jacoby Jones production I'll be happy. He didn't have a bunch of yards or receptions, but he made a bunch of 20+ yard receptions that were key plays and was a huge ST addition.

talbot
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Murphy will be the #4 on this team...anywhere between 25-40 receptions, 400-600 yards and 3-4 TDs would be great

nygpolishpunk
03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Murphy will be the #4 on this team...anywhere between 25-40 receptions, 400-600 yards and 3-4 TDs would be greatNobody would complain about that.

I also wouldn't mind having Barden back. In his only start he did a damn good job.

B&RWarrior
03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Murphy will be the #4 on this team...anywhere between 25-40 receptions, 400-600 yards and 3-4 TDs would be great

It's amazing how people have given the #3 WR job to Randle/ JJ. The #3 is wide open and there will be a fierce competition in camp. (I'm assuming we resign Cruz.)

darrin99
03-19-2013, 08:56 PM
It's amazing how people have given the #3 WR job to Randle/ JJ. The #3 is wide open and there will be a fierce competition in camp. (I'm assuming we resign Cruz.)

I don't think many are giving it to JJ. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone completely. I do think RR is the leading candidate for the #3 though.

blueribbon
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM
BEEP BEEP

http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbiker/newspics4/Roadrunner.gif

Drez
03-19-2013, 09:35 PM
this guy gives you a deep threat that we havenít had. We havenít had a guy who can run like this guy.''

Hmmm... And people crucified me when I said that Cruz wasn't a deep threat. Seems Reese agrees with me.

rtlax
03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Eli throws one of the best deep balls in football. Even if the guy doesn't catch a ton of balls he will take heat off Nicks and or Cruz simply because it would be suicide not to gameplan around a guy with 4.3 speed. The giants have outstanding talent at the position already and speed kills, I am excited to have this kind of athlete out there for us. The quicker he knocks on Elis door and asks him to "play catch" the better for him and our offense this year.

NYG 5
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
i heard the same thing about Tim Carter

Sovereign
03-20-2013, 02:10 AM

Eli might be elite but that doesn't mean every other QB in the league sucks. Newton is a good QB, not great but he didn't play with Mark Sanchez or anything.

miked1958
03-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Bottom line is this. More times then not the giants have a knack of knowing when to part ways with players at the perfect time despite our griping.. And they usually turn out to be right in their assessment. They also have a knack for drafting the right guys even when we are screaming " who's he?." The also find and sign players off the scrap heap thats are seldom used and turn them into productive players. I for one stopped questioning their FO moves awhile ago

fansince69
03-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Bottom line is this. More times then not the giants have a knack of knowing when to part ways with players at the perfect time despite our griping.. And they usually turn out to be right in their assessment. They also have a knack for drafting the right guys even when we are screaming " who's he?." The also find and sign players off the scrap heap thats are seldom used and turn them into productive players. I for one stopped questioning their FO moves awhile agoNicely said.....wish more people on these boards understood this

jomo
03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
JR is 2 good OL away from having an excellent off season.

JPP=BEASTMODE
03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
i heard the same thing about Tim CarterTim Carter was a beast.

JPP=BEASTMODE
03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
I saw him play once and from what I saw he was pretty good, but it was only one game.

Redeyejedi
03-20-2013, 09:21 AM

This is what I said when we signed him. I was hoping they signed DHB but this is a cheaper option. It gives the Giants a 9 route route threat with speed

Redeyejedi
03-20-2013, 09:23 AM
i heard the same thing about Tim Carter Except we used a 2nd rd pick on Tim Carter. The Giants signed Murphy for the vet min they have nothing invested in him if he doesnt make the team it doesnt matter

njg85m
03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Except we used a 2nd rd pick on Tim Carter. The Giants signed Murphy for the vet min they have nothing invested in him if he doesnt make the team it doesnt matter

Bingo.

bigal1giant
03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Saw him as a Gator receiver! If he plays like that for us we've gotten a real asset to the special teams and receiving corps!

NYG 5
03-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Except we used a 2nd rd pick on Tim Carter. The Giants signed Murphy for the vet min they have nothing invested in him if he doesnt make the team it doesnt matter

fair enough, but i'm still not buying into the hype until he actually does something. he's getting the same hype as carter did. "hurr durr, guy is so fast, never had a guy on the team that derps as fast as this guy"

talbot
03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
fair enough, but i'm still not buying into the hype until he actually does something. he's getting the same hype as carter did. "hurr durr, guy is so fast, never had a guy on the team that derps as fast as this guy"

Murphy has produced in Oakland with mediocre QBs, Carter just didn't produce.

Zaggs
03-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Murphy has produced in Oakland with mediocre QBs, Carter just didn't produce.

You do realize that is setting the bar low for the definition of "produced" right? 41 catches with a 52.5% catch rate was his best year.

talbot
03-20-2013, 03:36 PM
You do realize that is setting the bar low for the definition of "produced" right? 41 catches with a 52.5% catch rate was his best year.

Woah now, I didn't say he was a world-beater at the position. Dude's not a #1, but he's a solid pickup for this team. He'll have a great QB and a multitude of threats around him.

Zaggs
03-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Woah now, I didn't say he was a world-beater at the position. Dude's not a #1, but he's a solid pickup for this team. He'll have a great QB and a multitude of threats around him.

Ok, usually people mean something else. This guy has Derek Hagan or Devin Thomas written all over him.

Shockeystays08
03-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Louis Murphy 4.43 Jerrell Jernigan 4.46 . But we haven't had a guy that can run like Murphy in a long time. Gimme a break Jerry. Plus JJ is at least as quick and more elusive. Don't get me wrong I like the addition of Murphy but he didn't do squat at Carolina last year when the Panthers needed some WR help to step up for Newton. Why doesn't JR tell Gilbride to figure out how to use JJ's skills before he starts drooling over Murphy who has shown little to nothing with many more opportunities than Jernigan's been given to show his stuff.

Mercury
03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I think he might become more productive than Barden, which is the spot on WR roster that he replaces. (Not Hixon)