PDA

View Full Version : Rams Out Of Mix To Sign Cruz

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/rams_out_of_mix_to_sign_cruz_48eW4KdKS7nxhrQC5Cwtp M

Excerpt: "Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said on Sunday he’s expecting some team to sign Victor Cruz to a lucrative offer sheet in excess of $6 million per year. Tisch doesn’t have to worry about the Rams plucking Cruz off the restricted free agent pile.

Though the Rams have two first-round draft picks, they are up against the salary cap after signing offensive tackle Jake Long and are unwilling to give up one of those first-round picks, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

The Giants already have an offer on the table for Cruz in excess of $6 million per season, which is why Tisch said what he did. At this point, the Giants’ offer may be the best, or only, offer Cruz receives, as the restricted free agent market may have dried up. If that is the case, it will be up to Cruz to either accept what co-owner John Mara said is “a very substantial offer’’ that will make Cruz “a very wealthy young man’’ or else play in 2013 for the one-year tender of $2.879 million and test the market after the season as an unrestricted free agent." Read more...

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
And that means Cruz stays a Giant ... at least for 2013.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
And that means Cruz stays a Giant ... at least for 2013.

And likely beyond. They still have to negotiate the contract.

Morehead State
03-19-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't think any team was ever seriously "in the mix".
Cruz was never getting an offer if it meant losing a first round pick.

All these articles suggesting that the Giants were "bracing" for an offer for Cruz was a smokescreen. It was never going to happen.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 09:38 AM

All these articles suggesting that the Giants were "bracing" for an offer for Cruz was a smokescreen. It was never going to happen.

I agree, media hypes pays the bills

miked1958
03-19-2013, 09:40 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/rams_out_of_mix_to_sign_cruz_48eW4KdKS7nxhrQC5Cwtp MExcerpt: "Giants co-owner Steve Tisch said on Sunday he’s expecting some team to sign Victor Cruz to a lucrative offer sheet in excess of $6 million per year. Tisch doesn’t have to worry about the Rams plucking Cruz off the restricted free agent pile.Though the Rams have two first-round draft picks, they are up against the salary cap after signing offensive tackle Jake Long and are unwilling to give up one of those first-round picks, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.The Giants already have an offer on the table for Cruz in excess of $6 million per season, which is why Tisch said what he did. At this point, the Giants’ offer may be the best, or only, offer Cruz receives, as the restricted free agent market may have dried up. If that is the case, it will be up to Cruz to either accept what co-owner John Mara said is “a very substantial offer’’ that will make Cruz “a very wealthy young man’’ or else play in 2013 for the one-year tender of $2.879 million and test the market after the season as an unrestricted free agent." Read more...yea posted in a thread last night someone put up about this around midnight.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 09:50 AM

A smokescreen for what?

StrahanSoup92
03-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Agreed. I come on here 3 or 4 times a week, and all I see is Cruz threads. This isnt even a real issue right now.

ryan12
03-19-2013, 09:53 AM

agreed as well

Morehead State
03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
A smokescreen for what?
Excellent question. The Giants braintrust always believed what should have been obvious, that there was never going to be an offer. As a matter of fact they may have been desperately hoping for one.
But to continue the narrative that they value Victor Cruz (which those comments do) can only help in the relationship needed to make a good deal for the team. When ego's get involved and one side has an "I told you so" mentality, it can be counterproductive to an agreement.
So now, VC is disappointed but bears no ill will to us.
I really think Mr. Tisch's comments were part of that. These are not stupid people.

rebelfan1966
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
I've said it all along, negotiation is one big poker game. I would have been shocked if Cruz went someplace else this season.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Excellent question. The Giants braintrust always believed what should have been obvious, that there was never going to be an offer. As a matter of fact they may have been desperately hoping for one.
But to continue the narrative that they value Victor Cruz (which those comments do) can only help in the relationship needed to make a good deal for the team. When ego's get involved and one side has an "I told you so" mentality, it can be counterproductive to an agreement.
So now, VC is disappointed but bears no ill will to us.
I really think Mr. Tisch's comments were part of that. These are not stupid people.

Fair point .... i like it :)

Morehead State
03-19-2013, 09:57 AM
And by the way, I think the Giants FO really does value Victor Cruz. I just think they have a strategy to maximize their position in the entire process.
Its not like it was completely disingenuous. They just played it up a tad.

BuffyBlueII
03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Hopefully Victor Cruz takes the deal that is just over 6 million per season. I am sure there is a decent amount of guaranteed money and it would be a lot to risk. Injuries happen in NFL so it is always good to get what you can when you can.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
And by the way, I think the Giants FO really does value Victor Cruz. I just think they have a strategy to maximize their position in the entire process.
Its not like it was completely disingenuous. They just played it up a tad.

You just like hearing me say "I agree". :p