PDA

View Full Version : Mara wants us to get tougher on the lines...

Rudyy
03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
@ProFootballTalk: Mara wants the Giants to get tougher on the line of scrimmage http://t.co/VRZi4GUdVh via @alexmarvez Good read. Also find it interesting that he stated: “Teams ran the ball against us too easily last year. That’s an area of concern. And the offensive line, that performance needs to get a little better, too.” So it's not always about the final score, when you are giving up that many rushing yards, nothing good comes out of that.

ryan12
03-19-2013, 10:07 AM
he wants a better o line yet he kept diehl. you want to stop the run move kiwi back to de. he is to slow for lb dan connor is ok and williams is fast and i think will have a huge year

BigBlue wins
03-19-2013, 10:13 AM
he wants a better o line yet he kept diehl. you want to stop the run move kiwi back to de. he is to slow for lb dan connor is ok and williams is fast and i think will have a huge year

Reese needs to replace Diehl first...experience before youth...

As much as I dont like Diehl being kept either, the FO needs assurance that they have someone to start over him before letting him go.

YATittle1962
03-19-2013, 10:15 AM
does anyone want to get weaker on the lines?

BigBlue wins
03-19-2013, 10:17 AM

/red

You mean you dont want a front line made of spaghetti?!

Rudyy
03-19-2013, 10:18 AM
does anyone want to get weaker on the lines?Lol

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 10:20 AM

You guys don't get it. Diehl is not nearly the turnstile you're making him out to be. The fact that the Giants are doing what they can to keep him should tell you that if you can't figure it out for yourselves. Yes we need someone to replace him in the starting rotation.

Kiwi will do less to stop the run than a solid DT corps (Jenkins should help in that regard) and better LBer play (that still needs to be addressed ... especially at the MLB position).

Neither Williams nor Connor are SAMs (although Connor could probably play the SAM). I don't agree that Kiwi is too slow for the SAM position ... I'd argue that it's not his natural position (no one was complaining about him in 2011).

Per the OP: I think it was obvious last year that both lines played less than we've become accustomed to seeing. Especially the defensive line.

Rudyy
03-19-2013, 10:25 AM
You guys don't get it. Diehl is not nearly the turnstile you're making him out to be. The fact that the Giants are doing what they can to keep him should tell you that if you can't figure it out for yourselves. Yes we need someone to replace him in the starting rotation.Kiwi will do less to stop the run than a solid DT corps (Jenkins should help in that regard) and better LBer play (that still needs to be addressed ... especially at the MLB position).Neither Williams nor Connor are SAMs (although Connor could probably play the SAM). I don't agree that Kiwi is too slow for the SAM position ... I'd argue that it's not his natural position (no one was complaining about him in 2011).Per the OP: I think it was obvious last year that both lines played less than we've become accustomed to seeing. Especially the defensive line.Well what I was getting at was, there was much debate (mostly with me in the mix haha) about our run defense. Few people thought that wasn't the biggest area of concern, as long as we kept them out of the end zone. Mara thinks otherwise.

titwio
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
I want what Mara wants.

Sorry I couldn't provide a more deep and profound statement.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Well what I was getting at was, there was much debate (mostly with me in the mix haha) about our run defense. Few people thought that wasn't the biggest area of concern, as long as we kept them out of the end zone. Mara thinks otherwise.

Yeah I always hated that debate. Giving up tons of yards leads to giving up lots of scores eventually. Maybe we can keep the less than efficient offenses out of the end zone, but good teams that can move the ball on us will figure out how to punch it in (and have).

Considering 2 of our 3 division opponents have become run heavy teams, it would make that much more sense to concentrate on improving that. And it's not like we had a massive pass rush to compensate for a bad run defense in 2012. That was just as mediocre if not down right bad by our standards.

So I agree with you (and Mara) ... we desperately need to be more stout in the interior.

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Join the club John!

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Yes . . . the Redskins, Eagles and Cowboys!

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes . . . the Redskins, Eagles and Cowboys!

BA DUM DUM!

JesseJames
03-19-2013, 10:33 AM
getting tougher on the D line and stopping the run, wonder why Mara is saying this stuff now when we've been screaming this for the last 2 years

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 10:36 AM
getting tougher on the D line and stopping the run, wonder why Mara is saying this stuff now when we've been screaming this for the last 2 years

Generally breaking team record lows will do that for ownership.

tonyt830
03-19-2013, 10:40 AM
hint hint: we need to take the best available O-linemen and D-linemen in the draft in the first few rounds!

Zaggs
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
The good news is they can't get any less tough on the lines.

ny06
03-19-2013, 10:47 AM
I prefer "play better" but tougher works for me.

JB456
03-19-2013, 10:49 AM
You guys don't get it. Diehl is not nearly the turnstile you're making him out to be. The fact that the Giants are doing what they can to keep him should tell you that if you can't figure it out for yourselves. Yes we need someone to replace him in the starting rotation.

Kiwi will do less to stop the run than a solid DT corps (Jenkins should help in that regard) and better LBer play (that still needs to be addressed ... especially at the MLB position).

Neither Williams nor Connor are SAMs (although Connor could probably play the SAM). I don't agree that Kiwi is too slow for the SAM position ... I'd argue that it's not his natural position (no one was complaining about him in 2011).

Per the OP: I think it was obvious last year that both lines played less than we've become accustomed to seeing. Especially the defensive line.

It's fine that you have respect for Diehl, I think most of us do for what he has given this team in the past but he is a turnstile. He should have retired last year and has shown significant decline. Why would you want someone on the line who seems to get beat consistantly one on one? It was pretty ugly last year and it will be even worse this year.

Now, even though I want him gone, the Giants shouldn't cut him unless they have someone to replace him.

GameTime
03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
no **** sherlock.....
good observation

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
@ProFootballTalk: Mara wants the Giants to get tougher on the line of scrimmage http://t.co/VRZi4GUdVh via @alexmarvez Good read. Also find it interesting that he stated: “Teams ran the ball against us too easily last year. That’s an area of concern. And the offensive line, that performance needs to get a little better, too.” So it's not always about the final score, when you are giving up that many rushing yards, nothing good comes out of that.
Thanks Rudyy.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 11:39 AM
It's fine that you have respect for Diehl, I think most of us do for what he has given this team in the past but he is a turnstile. He should have retired last year and has shown significant decline. Why would you want someone on the line who seems to get beat consistantly one on one? It was pretty ugly last year and it will be even worse this year.

Now, even though I want him gone, the Giants shouldn't cut him unless they have someone to replace him.

Well I disagree with your analysis and apparently, so do the Giants :p

Is he as dominant as he once was? No. Is he a serviceable and dependable depth guy now? Absolutely. And the Giants have had much practice at covering up for the holes in his game (Eli was the second least sacked QB last year after all).

ELIte4MVP
03-19-2013, 11:42 AM

He definitely needs to listen to our opinions more. That much is obvious

Morehead State
03-19-2013, 11:44 AM
The "David Deihl Hate" bandwagon is full of a lot of boring people.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM

A think it's gotten refugees from the Osi Hate Bandwagon.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
The line play on this team hasn't been good since 2010, and hasn't been great since 2008. That's why no one should fret over losing guys like Canty and Osi, it's not like the Dline played well the past two seasons outside of the 2011 playoffs.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
lol

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
A think it's gotten refugees from the Osi Hate Bandwagon.
Hating season is at full swing.

JJC7301
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Mara's right -- they do need to toughen up, and get better talent.

gumby74
03-19-2013, 01:17 PM
we got pushed around like pansies last year and the year before.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 01:23 PM
I think they need lollipops and unicorns farts.

JB456
03-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Well I disagree with your analysis and apparently, so do the Giants :p

Is he as dominant as he once was? No. Is he a serviceable and dependable depth guy now? Absolutely. And the Giants have had much practice at covering up for the holes in his game (Eli was the second least sacked QB last year after all).

Well, being that Mara said that he wants the Gaints to get tougher on the lines and Diehl is one of the weakest links in the OLine, perhaps the Giants agree with me to a certain extent.

I can agree with the rest of your comments, Diehl could be seviceable and decent depth. But the question is this, do you really want somebondy who is serviceable and decent depth starting? What are the chances he regresses even further this year?

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 01:35 PM
So, you want to stop the run, yet you dont care anymore about a MLB...

I Hate T.O.
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM
well I agree with Mara...teams constantly beat us up in the trenches...out physicalled. If thats such a word...LOL

speedman
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
M.S. and Kruunch. What games were you watching last year? It's not hate for Diehl, he just isn't good anymore.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Well, being that Mara said that he wants the Gaints to get tougher on the lines and Diehl is one of the weakest links in the OLine, perhaps the Giants agree with me to a certain extent.

I can agree with the rest of your comments, Diehl could be seviceable and decent depth. But the question is this, do you really want somebondy who is serviceable and decent depth starting? What are the chances he regresses even further this year?

You mean would I have a problem starting the guy who was our starting LT for our last two SB wins? No I wouldn't.

But I understand I'm in the minority there.

JB456
03-19-2013, 02:45 PM
You mean would I have a problem starting the guy who was our starting LT for our last two SB wins? No I wouldn't.

But I understand I'm in the minority there.

That's one of the worst arguments I have ever heard and if anyone agrees with you based on that, God have mercy on their soul. You wouldn't have a problem if Diehl is starting because he was the staring LT when the Giants won two superbowls, one being over 6 years ago? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You just said in your last post that he is servicable and good depth. Good depth isn't starting material my man...

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
M.S. and Kruunch. What games were you watching last year? It's not hate for Diehl, he just isn't good anymore.

You think David Diehl is the reason we averaged giving up 32 points per game in our last four (not including the Eagles game)?

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 02:58 PM
That's one of the worst arguments I have ever heard and if anyone agrees with you based on that, God have mercy on their soul. You wouldn't have a problem if Diehl is starting because he was the staring LT when the Giants won two superbowls, one being over 6 years ago? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You just said in your last post that he is servicable and good depth. Good depth isn't starting material my man...

Shrug.

You momos were saying the EXACT same crap in 2011.

ironfox
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
so he wants toughness from both lines and wants it to come from pretty much the same guys as last year?

DVision
03-19-2013, 04:26 PM
so he wants toughness from both lines and wants it to come from pretty much the same guys as last year?

JPP is gonna be hot tub dunking O-lineman in camp :)

Morehead State
03-19-2013, 05:11 PM
What he is, is a solid back up and spot starter.
The fact that he can play 4 positions on the O line also make him valuable.
Is he the player he was 6 or 7 years ago? No he's not. 10 years in the NFL, while missing very few games will do that to a guy. But personally, I don't like these insulting terms like "turnstile". He's a great Giant and all that's wrong with him is that he's been in the league a long time and its taken it's toll.

giants8493
03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
I think we need to play softer. If were going to play a soft defense like we do.

kNicksGiants
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
stopping the run isn't all on the d-line. the linebackers have to do their part too and we've been weak there for years.