PDA

View Full Version : Is Phillips non re-signing a foreshadowing of Nicks situation?

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I often compared the 2 players. They are both in their mid 20s, game changers WHEN HEALTHY. Problem is, they are rarely healthy. We just let Phillips go for a 1yr 1.85M deal to the rival Eagles. It seems we were not putting anything into KP to come back here. The only reason I have to believe why this happened is because of his chronic injuries, namely the knee.

We also just let Bradshaw go, who, again, when healthy is our best running back. A fierce, firery, non stop motor, little can of kick *** running back who always gave us 110% on the field and IMO was the offense spark plug for this team. But he had those darn foot issues.

Now it comes to Nicks.

Obviously, in the 2011 postseason he showed just how explosive and valuable he could be if he is healthy. The problem is, he never is healthy for more then a 5-6 game stretch. Now you can say no one in the NFL is, but it really shows with Nicks. He never should of been starting last year after that one game he exploded in. He injured his leg, foot, ankle.... Every year, the injuries pile up for him.

So why would we be willing to dump a huge contract on Nicks after 2013 if we arent willing to do it for a great safety or running back who are all about the same age?

Personally, I think Randle will make the Nicks situation even more complicated next year. Randle can fill his shows easier then Cruz's.

Thoughts?

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't see the correlation. Both KP and Bradshaw had debilitating injuries. KP's knees have been described as degenerative. Brahdshaw's ankles have prevented him from practicing for several years.

I understand Nicks hasn't played a full season, but his injuries, I believe, are varied from year to year. 2012 was the double whammy of his broken foot and then his knee.

I see Nicks' injuries as acute while Phillips' and Bradshaw's are chronic.

Zaggs
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Next year the Giants should theoretically have a better cap situation.

Rat_bastich
03-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Reading way too much into this.

DVision
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Randle has shown me nothing to even consider him on Nicks level at this point. Nicks came in a a rookie, learned the offense and put up decent numbers. Randle made a few nice place, but the majority of the time he looked lost on the field. There were a number of times he was targeted and was nowhere near where Eli threw the football. He needs to pick up the offense, he does not have hands like Nicks and his route running needs work!

The Giants have already said Nicks is a priority. Unlike Phillips (who was offered a deal and CHOSE to leave), Nick's injuries are not do to a degenerative knee problem.

giants8493
03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Next year the Giants should theoretically have a better cap situation.says who?

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't see the correlation. Both KP and Bradshaw had debilitating injuries. KP's knees have been described as degenerative. Brahdshaw's ankles have prevented him from practicing for several years.

I understand Nicks hasn't played a full season, but his injuries, I believe, are varied from year to year. 2012 was the double whammy of his broken foot and then his knee.

Agree, their injuries are not the same and the prognosis going forward are totally different.

G-Men Surg.
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
says who?

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?28403-Since-there-is-some-talk-about-the-giants-cap-situation-in-2014.&highlight=salary+2014

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Next year the Giants should theoretically have a better cap situation.

Indeed they will

Zaggs
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
says who?

Going by the Spotrac numbers, they have 97.5 committed to the 2014 year, or about 23 mil under. 18 mil when you add in that rookie class. Sure contracts have to be redone by then, but they should have room.

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
says who?

The numbers, the players who will be under contract and the players who will hit FA, it's a combination of factors.

Pierce 58
03-19-2013, 12:51 PM
The Giants have already said that Nicks is a priority.

BlueSanta
03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
no

gumby74
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Philips knee condition is degenerative. At best, his knee will remain as is, but it'll just get worse and worse and worse and never fully heal.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 01:26 PM

This.

The only thing that concerns me with Nicks is that they are all leg injuries (including that weird infection in his thigh muscle he got a couple of years ago) and I wonder if they don't cumulatively start to effect his overall health.

Past that though, Nicks isn't quite in the same boat as KP and Bradshaw, both of whose injuries were ongoing, long term issues.

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Does it matter if it is degenerative or not when it is continuous? Nicks is injury prone. I would love for him to stay healthy, but it just hasnt happened in the 4 years he has been here.

Oh, and didnt the Giants say that Cruz was a priority too?

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Past that though, Nicks isn't quite in the same boat as KP and Bradshaw, both of whose injuries were ongoing, long term issues.

Nicks injuries arent ongoing? Or long term? Really? Wasnt that the same for Bradshaws foot when he first got it? It was only a break. Nicks leg issues are a continuous ongoing issue. And as he ages, it will only get worse. You want to give him a 5 year 50-60M deal?

DVision
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Nicks injuries arent ongoing? Or long term? Really? Wasnt that the same for Bradshaws foot when he first got it? It was only a break. Nicks leg issues are a continuous ongoing issue. And as he ages, it will only get worse. You want to give him a 5 year 50-60M deal?

Nicks has not had reoccurring injuries. They've all been different. What are you saying he has degenerative legs?:)

Buddy333
03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't see the correlation. Both KP and Bradshaw had debilitating injuries. KP's knees have been described as degenerative. Brahdshaw's ankles have prevented him from practicing for several years.I understand Nicks hasn't played a full season, but his injuries, I believe, are varied from year to year. 2012 was the double whammy of his broken foot and then his knee.I see Nicks' injuries as acute while Phillips' and Bradshaw's are chronic.Nicks has yet to play a full season but he has also had some freak injuries.

Buddy333
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Nicks injuries arent ongoing? Or long term? Really? Wasnt that the same for Bradshaws foot when he first got it? It was only a break. Nicks leg issues are a continuous ongoing issue. And as he ages, it will only get worse. You want to give him a 5 year 50-60M deal?The point is they are never the same. Yes, he seems to get injured a lot, but not for the same thing. He had a weird toe injury his rookie season, then a guy landed on his calf and required surgery, a couple of hamstring injuries which is common in football, and this year was the first time he every injured his knee while also nursing a broken foot.

primetime
03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
I think it should be added that Kenny Phillips did not want to be hear anymore. Do I have facts to back that statement? No
But he turned down an offer from the Giants to take a 1 year deal worth peanuts from the Eagles.
Kenny has also be quoted as to saying he did not like the way he was used as a safety in Fewell's defense and wanted to be used more around the line of scrimmage. He also stated that he felt his rehab this season for his knee was mismanaged.
I think it's safe to say we were not keeping Phillip's for the amount of money he received in Philly. And with the other priorities we had and Stevie Brown's resurgence Kenny was the odd man out.
As for Nicks, he has had his fair share of injuries as well, but I won't say his injuries are as severe as Phillip's were. Kenny Phillip's was diagnosed before his microfracture surgery with patellofemoral arthritis. That's something to consider if you're mgt and thinking about giving a player a long term contract.
As for Bradshaw I loved the way he played, (great Giant) but every season he would have feet issues. It's a shame, because he's a talented young player, but no matter what kind of procedure they do to fix his feet in the off-season by week 4-7 his feet will get injured. Hence why the Giants drafted David Wilson last year, mgt knew Bradshaw wasn't the future at the rb position.
All in all I feel the Giants know what they're doing when it comes to not resigning players and listening to their medical staff. I think the Giants want Hakeem Nicks for the longterm and are willing to pay what they believe he is worth. I don't think they will low ball him or give him an unfair contract offer.

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Phillips has never been close to the type of game changing player that Nicks is, and Phillip's/Bradshaw's injuries have significantly more long term ramifications.

That being said, will the Giants take Nicks injury history and medical condition into account when deciding what type of contract offer to make to him when he becomes a FA? Yes.

Drez
03-19-2013, 02:55 PM

I see Nicks' injuries as acute while Phillips' and Bradshaw's are chronic.Also, at the onset of the knee injury last year, Nicks and the training staff were so focused on his foot neither really knew the knee was as jacked up as it was.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 03:06 PM

A hang nail and a pimple on his *** aren't considered ongoing leg injuries, no.

He broke his foot. He got his foot put in a cast and it healed, like any normal person's. He sprained his knee ... he played on it ... it continued to swell. Once he stopped playing on it, the swelling went away.

Not like he got screws permanently implanted in both of his feet like .... wait for it ... Bradshaw!

Or has a degenerative knee condition like KP has.

If you want to say Nicks is dainty, I would agree. He gets hurt (not majorly) often, but short of being hobbled he's a star.

The Bucs game last year should have told you that.

As for his next contract, this year, both performance and health wise, will determine his worth on the market (and to your point, I could see it going either way). Would I pay him $12M/year? No. But there isn't a receiver in the league I would pay that to either.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Seeing as how they said Nicks was a priority over the much healthier Cruz even though he's not a FA yet.... not a chance.

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
The point is they are never the same. Yes, he seems to get injured a lot, but not for the same thing. He had a weird toe injury his rookie season, then a guy landed on his calf and required surgery, a couple of hamstring injuries which is common in football, and this year was the first time he every injured his knee while also nursing a broken foot.I just don't see the difference. So you would rather have a WR who is hurt in many places every year than a Safety who has a degenerative knee issue. To me, if you aren't on the field, you aren't on the field. Whatever the injury. Both are consistantly hurt.

GiantNYFan8
03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
A hang nail and a pimple on his *** aren't considered ongoing leg injuries, no.

He broke his foot. He got his foot put in a cast and it healed, like any normal person's. He sprained his knee ... he played on it ... it continued to swell. Once he stopped playing on it, the swelling went away.

Not like he got screws permanently implanted in both of his feet like .... wait for it ... Bradshaw!

Or has a degenerative knee condition like KP has.

If you want to say Nicks is dainty, I would agree. He gets hurt (not majorly) often, but short of being hobbled he's a star.

The Bucs game last year should have told you that.

As for his next contract, this year, both performance and health wise, will determine his worth on the market (and to your point, I could see it going either way). Would I pay him $12M/year? No. But there isn't a receiver in the league I would pay that to either.

THIS. I mean people stop overplaying the injury card. He missed 8 games in 4 season. Thats injury prone? Its the nfl, if your not dinged up, your probably not doing your job/not playing.

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 03:30 PM
THIS. I mean people stop overplaying the injury card. He missed 8 games in 4 season. Thats injury prone? Its the nfl, if your not dinged up, your probably not doing your job/not playing.

It's not always about missed games. He played last year, but was basically a shell of himself due to injuries that he tried to play through . . . .

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
It's not always about missed games. He played last year, but was basically a shell of himself due to injuries that he tried to play through . . . .

How much of that was him and how much of that was the Giants wishful thinking? After he got repeated swelling in his knee he should have been benched (and then you guys would go to town over benching a star ... the injury prone one you don't want to pay for).

TheAnalyst
03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
THIS. I mean people stop overplaying the injury card. He missed 8 games in 4 season. Thats injury prone? Its the nfl, if your not dinged up, your probably not doing your job/not playing.So basically what you are saying is, if I'm sick all the time but I still go into work and it effects my performance, I'm not sick all the time? Nicks is ALWAYS hurting, even if he is playing or not. It effected him most of last year even though he was playing. I think we would of been better with Randle out there instead.

Drez
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
How much of that was him and how much of that was the Giants wishful thinking?I think it was a very fair mix of both. I remember TC saying (sorry, I'm not even attempting to dig up a link, lol) that every week Nicks was able to convince everyone that he was good to go (I'd imagine by both practice and pleading), and the team was probably desperate to believe him, so I'm sure they overlooked some signs that he wasn't.

TCHOF
03-19-2013, 03:35 PM
How much of that was him and how much of that was the Giants wishful thinking? After he got repeated swelling in his knee he should have been benched (and then you guys would go to town over benching a star ... the injury prone one you don't want to pay for).

I have no idea. Just saying that there is more to evaluationg a player's injury history than just looking at missed games . . . .

Drez
03-19-2013, 03:37 PM
So basically what you are saying is, if I'm sick all the time but I still go into work and it effects my performance, I'm not sick all the time? Nicks is ALWAYS hurting, even if he is playing or not. It effected him most of last year even though he was playing. I think we would of been better with Randle out there instead.Nicks is not ALWAYS hurting. Nicks has indeed had some isolated injuries that have caused him to miss some time. But, outside of last year where his injuries were mishandled by both Nicks and the team, he's been healthy in between his various injuries.

Kruunch
03-19-2013, 03:40 PM
I have no idea. Just saying that there is more to evaluationg a player's injury history than just looking at missed games . . . .

That I agree with ... and I think for Nicks and the Giants it's important that he get through 2013 with no significant injuries.

gmen46
03-19-2013, 04:06 PM
So basically what you are saying is, if I'm sick all the time but I still go into work and it effects my performance, I'm not sick all the time? Nicks is ALWAYS hurting, even if he is playing or not. It effected him most of last year even though he was playing. I think we would of been better with Randle out there instead.

You're focusing on a few numbers, and are missing the overall "big picture" contributions to the team of Phillips vs Nicks.

Phillips missed a total of 24 games in his 5 years (including 9 this last season), contributed way less than anticipated for a 1st rd safety pick his rookie season, and although he showed some flashes throughout his 5 years, never lived up to his expectations as a premier 1st rd pick at safety.

Nicks has missed a total of 9 games in his 4 years, this past season was the only one of his where he never recovered enough to return to his natural abilities to dominate, and --unlike Phillips--has performed throughout his career so far at the very high level expected of a 1st rd pick WR.

(For what it's worth, Nicks has emerged as the "class" of the 2009 WR draft class--a consensus high quality draft calss for WRs. Harvin switched teams because he was desperate to leave his Vikings, Wallace is gone from the Steelers after a turmoil-filled 4th year with them, Heyward-Bey is on the market after only 4 years, Crabtree finally had a 1st rd pick-worthy season in his fourth year, MacClin has been solid but nothing really spectacular for the Eagles, and Britt can't keep out of state troopers radar and the training room).

What you seem to forget about Phillips is that exactly 3 years ago most on this board feared that Phillips' career was over because of the permanent degenerative nature of his bone , as opposed to a normative football injury. They are not the same thing, even though in the short term the result--missing games--appears to be the same.

I should note that in no way am I disrespecting of Phillips as a player. I liked him as a Giant and was sorry (but not at all surprised) to see him go.

But it should not be ignored that Phillips was never truly a game changer while on the field. Nicks has been a game changer, at least on a few important occasions--the Tampa game this season (along with Cruz), the Atlanta and the Green Bay games of the 2011 post season--in addition to making many big exciting plays throughout his career. To focus exclusively on the 2012 season as the harbinger of the rest of Nicks' career (you have not said that specifically, but there is a soft implication of that in what you do say about him) is a big mistake.

To answer your OP question--no, the fate of Phillips' FA move bears absolutely zero relation to the ultimate fate of Nicks with the Giants after next season.

Ruttiger711
03-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Just jumped on this thread so apologies for not reading any replies... but....

Now a broken foot is the same as having multiple knee operations and/or feet operations with metal holding them together?

Holy ****ing ****.

Zaggs
03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
You're focusing on a few numbers, and are missing the overall "big picture" contributions to the team of Phillips vs Nicks.

Phillips missed a total of 24 games in his 5 years (including 9 this last season), contributed way less than anticipated for a 1st rd safety pick his rookie season, and although he showed some flashes throughout his 5 years, never lived up to his expectations as a premier 1st rd pick at safety.

Nicks has missed a total of 9 games in his 4 years, this past season was the only one of his where he never recovered enough to return to his natural abilities to dominate, and --unlike Phillips--has performed throughout his career so far at the very high level expected of a 1st rd pick WR.

What you seem to forget about Phillips is that exactly 3 years ago most on this board feared that Phillips' career was over because of the permanent degenerative nature of his bone , as opposed to a normative football injury. They are not the same thing, even though in the short term the result--missing games--appears to be the same.

I should note that in no way am I disrespecting of Phillips as a player. I liked him as a Giant and was sorry (but not at all surprised) to see him go.

But it should not be ignored that Phillips was never truly a game changer while on the field. Nicks has been a game changer, at least on a few important occasions--the Tampa game this season (along with Cruz), the Atlanta and the Green Bay games of the 2011 post season--in addition to making many big exciting plays throughout his career. To focus exclusively on the 2012 season as the harbinger of the rest of Nicks' career (you have not said that specifically, but there is a soft implication of that in what you do say about him) is a big mistake.

To answer your OP question--no, the fate of Phillips' FA move bears absolutely zero relation to the ultimate fate of Nicks with the Giants after next season.

Or to put it another way, Kenny Phillips has as many interceptions in his entire career as Stevie Brown had last year.
Though to be fair to KP most of those 24 missed games come from 2 seasons (2009 & 2012). The other three seasons he played in 47 out of 48 games. Like all FA moves, time will tell about how wise the move was.

gmen46
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Or to put it another way, Kenny Phillips has as many interceptions in his entire career as Stevie Brown had last year.
Though to be fair to KP most of those 24 missed games come from 2 seasons (2009 & 2012). The other three seasons he played in 47 out of 48 games. Like all FA moves, time will tell about how wise the move was.

You are correct about the distribution of KP's missed games. Although one of his 3 16-game seasons was his rookie year. The 16 games indicated that year mean he was suited for all 16 games, but did not necessarily actually play in all 16. Whereas, if memory serves, Nicks did play in all of the 14 games he suited for his rookie year.

Also, as per the subject of the OP, he overlooks the fact of Phillips missing 9 games just this past season, which no doubt factored heavily into Giants' decision about Phillips' future as a Giant, don't you think?

B&RWarrior
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Stevie Brown was also burned more times last year than KP has been in his entire career.

B&RWarrior
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
All of you thinking that KP didn't live up to his draft status are nuts. He didn't make ESPN top plays of the week that much but he was a rock in terms of the consistency of his play. Rarely, if ever was he out of position. I was very happy with his level of play relative to his draft position.

Ruttiger711
03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
All of you thinking that KP didn't live up to his draft status are nuts. He didn't make ESPN top plays of the week that much but he was a rock in terms of the consistency of his play. Rarely, if ever was he out of position. I was very happy with his level of play relative to his draft position.

I was always happy w/KP and no doubt the D was better when he was on the field thats not even debatable.... but I remember hearing him hyped up to be the next Ed Reed or Troy in being that type of game presence.

gmen46
03-19-2013, 08:35 PM

I, for one, have no interest in knocking KP for his play. I'm sorry he's no longer with us. But there's legitimate disagreement with your first and last sentences.

His rookie season, by all accounts, was a disappointment overall. He was expected to take over as a starting safety early in the season. Because he was considered to be that good--by so-called draft gurus, as well as by the Giants org. He started only 3 games.

As we all know, he was spoken of as "all pro" material by Coughlin (among other observers) at the beginning of 2009. He goes on IR after Game 2.

2010 he starts all 16 games, but according to Fewell's own admission, he was "eased back" into play and he was discouraged from "going all out" the entire season.

2011, he plays and starts 15 games and performs at a high level, no doubt. Not "All Pro" or Pro Bowl level, but a very good job.

2012 he plays very well at beginning of season, but misses 9 games, starts 6.

So how is it that KP made you "happy with his level of play relative to his draft position"? Because he gave you one and a half seasons out of his 5 years on the team?

And, even setting aside for the moment the Giants made no real effort to extend his career with us, why did the Eagles sign him for such a small contract (in length and in dollars), if he were thought of as highly by the Eagles as he is by you (ie, he's "played at 1st rd pick level")?

RoanokeFan
03-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Bradshaw's feet were a problem at Marshall that continued to deteriorate to the extent that he was barely able to practice once a week season after season. You couldn't ask more of a player than Bradshaw gave in every game he played. But he had reached the point of decline that would only make his condition worse. And then what? No practice, half games?

Nicks doesn't seem close to that level of infirmity.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Bradshaw's feet were a problem at Marshall that continued to deteriorate to the extent that he was barely able to practice once a week season after season. You couldn't ask more of a player than Bradshaw gave in every game he played. But he had reached the point of decline that would only make his condition worse. And then what? No practice, half games?

Nicks doesn't seem close to that level of infirmity.

but what a warrior bradshaw was,,,I will never forget him.

AllHailEli
03-19-2013, 11:41 PM
I hope Nicks keep healthy and we can keep him long-term. He's a true #1 receiver and Eli can't have a revolving door of receivers. We have to take advantage while Eli is still on his prime.

embeshAtYa
03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
who even has enough energy to care anymore.. just rute for giants

TheAnalyst
03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
I hope Nicks keep healthy and we can keep him long-term. He's a true #1 receiver and Eli can't have a revolving door of receivers. We have to take advantage while Eli is still on his prime.

Eli has won a Superbowl with Plax, Toomer, Smith and Boss in 2007 and a Superbowl with Nicks, Cruz, Manningham and Ballard/Pascoe in 2011.

NorwoodBlue
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM

He played as hard as anyone on game day; but I think it just became very apparent that his missing practices was hurting the timing of the offense. Same with Nicks when he was playing hurt. They were giving it a great effort; but the offense was better when the guys who practiced all week also were on the field for the games.

I don't think Nicks is any more injury prone than anyone else. He missed the preseason this year; but when he came back he was doing alright. It wasn't until that freak thing were someone steps in his ankle and screwed up his knee when he started really having problems. When I saw the replay of that injury, I thought for sure he was done for the year, most players would have been. I think it kind of shoots the injury prone argument down; because he was able to still play, although badly hampered. If he was truly injury prone, they'd have taken him off on a stretcher after that play. I just don't see the KP type of problems. KP missed about half his games during his time with the Giants.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:03 PM

No question about that

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Eli has won a Superbowl with Plax, Toomer, Smith and Boss in 2007 and a Superbowl with Nicks, Cruz, Manningham and Ballard/Pascoe in 2011.

That was the point. We don't have to wait another 5 years because we're trying to find new receivers every year. We need some stability esp. if we have the right receivers already.

Itlan
03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
It's been reported the Giants offered KP a multi-year contract. I'm guessing it was rather low per year, and KP figured he'd be better off playing in the Eagles' defensive scheme this year and attempt to increase his value next year for FA. I know KP was not happy with his role in NY, he didn't enjoy playing centerfield every play, he mentioned it on several occasions.

He obviously believes his knees are good enough to play at a high level, otherwise he would've taken the multi-year contract over the 1 year, relatively cheap contract. He's trying to increase his worth, undoubtedly.

TCHOF
03-20-2013, 03:44 PM
It's been reported the Giants offered KP a multi-year contract. I'm guessing it was rather low per year, and KP figured he'd be better off playing in the Eagles' defensive scheme this year and attempt to increase his value next year for FA. I know KP was not happy with his role in NY, he didn't enjoy playing centerfield every play, he mentioned it on several occasions.

He obviously believes his knees are good enough to play at a high level, otherwise he would've taken the multi-year contract over the 1 year, relatively cheap contract. He's trying to increase his worth, undoubtedly.

Link?

BigBlueAllDay
03-20-2013, 06:58 PM
KP figured he'd be better off playing in the Eagles' defensive scheme this year and attempt to increase his value next year for FA.

If KP wanted to increase his value by playing on that Eagles defense, I'd like to have what he's smoking too. LMAO!