PDA

View Full Version : OK, Based ujpon Mara's statement for tougher players on our lines

paulj
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
OK, Based upon Mara's statement for tougher players on our lines,
Hypothetically, (IF) we do go OL and DL or visa versa in the first three rounds,
who would you like the Giants to draft (Based upon your perceived availability of who is on the board when we pick,
as we typically don't move up or down)?

My choice 1st round is OT:
Eric Fisher (Stud, most dominant offensive lineman, has versatility after starting at right tackle, guard and left tackle ),
Lane Johnson (Stud, rock solid in pass protection) (These two guys remind me of Jumbo Elliott, an OL fixture for years)

OT other rounds:
(RT) D.J. Fluker (pass-protection issues stock dropping),
(RT) Menelik Watson (freak athlete, looks ready to compete in the NFL as a run-blocker. Watson's pass protection will need some work),
(RT) Kyle Long (great bloodlines, athletic, very strong and extremely fast), B
(RT) Brennan Williams (has starting potential at right tackle in the NFL and could be a great value pick on the second day of the 2013 NFL Draft - if he can stay healthy),
Chris Faulk, (T/G sleeper with mean streak. It is possible that Faulk falls into late rounds like Florida State tackle Andrew Datko did in the 2012 NFL Draft. He was a good pass-blocker and a road grader of a run-blocker. Faulk has a lot of athletic ability and the potential to be a special player),
Jordan Mills,
Brian Winters (T/G)

My choice 1st round is OG:
Jonathan Cooper (Stud, extremely quick, athletic, superior agility, versatile G/C, rock solid in pass protection, moving to center shouldn't be a problem, and it could make him more attractive to NFL talent evaluators),
Chance Warmack (Stud, Road-grader in the ground game who is extremely reliable as a pass-protector),

OG other rounds:
Larry Warford (It wouldn't be surprising if he turns into one of the top guards in the NFL and causes a lot of teams to regret not using a first-round pick on him. He opens up holes in the ground game and performed well in pass protection),
Barrett Jones (C/G/T, versatility, rare lineman who can play any position on the offensive line)
Kyle Long (Can also play OG psn),
Travis Frederick ()

My choice 1st round is DT:
Sharrif Floyd (Power and speed, extremely fast at the point of attack, fires his gap and quickly gets penetration into the backfield, once he gains leverage, he is tough to stop, since he has the strength to shed blocks and maintain his balance with blockers pushing on him, consistently blows up runs in the backfield and gets a lot of pressure on the quarterback) ,
Sheldon Richardson (speed to fire the gap and make plays behind the line, non-stop drive and makes a lot of tackles in pursuit, demonstrates one of the best motors of any player in college football, truly relentless)

DT other rounds:
Johnathan Hankins (monster in the middle of the line as a run-stuffer and a disruptive pass-rusher),
Jonathan Jenkins (A load at the line of scrimmage who can collapse the pocket while stuffing runs, dominannt, destroying interior linemen with his bull rush and showed some serious explosiveness off the snap, However Zero Technique nose tackle for 3-4 is not our scheme),
Kawann Short (one of the top interior pass-rushers in college football over past three years, ability to beat guards with strength and speed),
Sylvester Williams (nice combination of speed and size)

paulj
03-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Obviously, i am hoping that these players are on the board when we pick!!!

joemorrisforprez
03-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Speaking generally, if Mara wants toughness at the line of scrimmage, I'd look early and often at the SEC.....that is where you need to run and stop the run to win games......IIRC, the SEC has produced 7 consecutive national champions.....and it's because of how they blow people out at the line.

paulj
03-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I hope JR agrees!

JPizzack
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Speaking generally, if Mara wants toughness at the line of scrimmage, I'd look early and often at the SEC.....that is where you need to run and stop the run to win games......IIRC, the SEC has produced 7 consecutive national champions.....and it's because of how they blow people out at the line.

What this guy said. SEC football fa sho.

BlueSanta
03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
What this guy said. SEC football fa sho.

I 100% agree the SEC is where you want to go for the best prospects in general.

And I dont mean to start a conference battle because that is pointless. Let me get this straight, nothing compares to the SEC. Furthermore, I think that the Oline of 2012 Bama was the best ever in college football(my opinion).

However, when it comes to Olinemen, runblocking is by far the easier of the 2 techniques to learn because it is more instinctive. Your job is to push that guy out of the way, that is all. Passblocking is much more of a finesse and skilled aspect of blocking than runblocking. So when it comes to Oline, you dont JUST look at the SEC since it is truly a run dominant conference. In fact, you look at some pass happy teams too(like some of the teams in the big12, pac12) Finding Olinemen who can runblock isnt hard, finding olinemen who can passblock is harder and finding olinemen who can do both is near impossible. In general, scouts look for guys who can passblock 1st, then go from there. To know if a guy can passblock, his team has to pass and that isnt done much in the SEC. So in just this 1 aspect, you actually have to look beyond just the SEC.