PDA

View Full Version : Which defense is better?

cva14
03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Given the new breed of QBs like RGIII and Kaepernick, which defense is better suited, the 4-3 or the 3-4? Why?

talbot
03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
It's not so much the 4-3/3-4 difference, but the personnel. Either defense can contain these quarterbacks, but its up to the front 7 to execute.

slipknottin
03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
We will see how long the read option sticks around

How willing can these teams be to sell out their QBs and get them hit? Look what happened to RG3.

Bigger issue is that pass rushers in the nfl, both DEs and OLBs do not know how to contain. They make their living by doing the opposite of contain.

giants8493
03-19-2013, 06:08 PM
I still think the 10-1 defense is the best. But no one in the NFL has the balls to even try it.

GentleGiant
03-19-2013, 06:23 PM
I still think the 10-1 defense is the best. But no one in the NFL has the balls to even try it. Maybe against the run but all a QB needs to do is backup.

GentleGiant
03-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Personnel wise it's different. The packers have a 3-4 but fell apart in the face of the read option. I'd go with the 4-3 cause if the d line is good enough then the LBs run free. In the 3-4 the d line is stuck behind the o line so the LBs can't be get get to the fast enough cause the blockers can run free with less d line to worry about. That's why a lot of people feel the 4-3 is better against the run so in the face of the read option I'd go with 4-3.

giants8493
03-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Maybe against the run but all a QB needs to do is backup.The qb would die if that happened.

tonyt830
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM

How willing can these teams be to sell out their QBs and get them hit? Look what happened to RG3.

Bigger issue is that pass rushers in the nfl, both DEs and OLBs do not know how to contain. They make their living by doing the opposite of contain.and slip, Mike Tomlin agrees with you, he is not a big believer. Defensive coordinators will learn to make adjustments to it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9070775/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-read-option-nfl-flavor-day

GentleGiant
03-19-2013, 06:36 PM
The qb would die if that happened. Not with today's roughing the passer rules. Also the closest thing to 10-1 is the 46 which the jets use. The jets fell apart in the face of the read option.

darrin99
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I still think the 10-1 defense is the best. But no one in the NFL has the balls to even try it.

The 2-9 defense worked in Super Bowl XXV. :)

giants8493
03-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Not with today's roughing the passer rules. Also the closest thing to 10-1 is the 46 which the jets use. The jets fell apart in the face of the read option.I forgot about today's rules.... He will probably live , but that doesn't mean he will complete the pass!

BigBlueAllDay
03-19-2013, 06:47 PM

Bigger issue is that pass rushers in the nfl, both DEs and OLBs do not know how to contain. They make their living by doing the opposite of contain.

But neither Kaepernick nor Russell Wilson got injured and all three teams made it to the playoffs. It's going to be like one down, five more to go. Teams will take that risk to get an offensive advantage to get the Ws and get into the playoffs. They won't care about the other teams getting knocked out of the playoffs even if they lose their mobile QB to injury in the process. That's the problem. It's going to be really about the defense being able to make adjustments as you're pointing out. QBs in college already have to be able to do at least some bit of running to get a starting role.

slipknottin
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
But neither Kaepernick nor Russell Wilson got injured and all three teams made it to the playoffs. It's going to be like one down, five more to go. Teams will take that risk to get an offensive advantage to get the Ws and get into the playoffs. They won't care about the other teams getting knocked out of the playoffs even if they lose their mobile QB to injury in the process. That's the problem. It's going to be really about the defense being able to make adjustments. QBs in college already have to be able to do at least some bit of running to get a starting role.

And the dolphins made it to the playoffs with the wildcat. What's your point?

Wilson in particular did not run all that much option. Maybe 10% of his plays. Kapernick as he developed also did not run as much of it.

Really it was the redskins who used it as their base. And we saw the results of that.

B&RWarrior
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Agreed. First time I saw the Skins offense my thoughts were, "What are you guys doing? " Like I expected, RG3 took a beating all year long.

mikeq6722
03-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Shanahan is an idiot. Lets send out our franchise quarterback on a deep passing route so the receiver can lob the ball to him and he can get flattened by Ryan Clark. RG3 was doomed, surprised it took that long to get hurt.

BigBlueAllDay
03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
And the dolphins made it to the playoffs with the wildcat. What's your point?

Wilson in particular did not run all that much option. Maybe 10% of his plays. Kapernick as he developed also did not run as much of it.

Really it was the redskins who used it as their base. And we saw the results of that.

My point exactly, whatever gets the team to the playoffs, doesn't matter if they don't make the Superbowl. Playoffs come first. That's their mentality.

True, the redskins used it as a base while the other teams used the read option as an option in their offense. But like I said, that's just 1 mobile QB down, still a bunch of others still left in the conference. Defense still has to be able to play against mobile QBs.

slipknottin
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
My point exactly, whatever gets the team to the playoffs, doesn't matter if they don't make the Superbowl. Playoffs come first. That's their mentality.

True, the redskins used it as a base while the other teams used the read option as an option in their offense. But like I said, that's just 1 mobile QB down, still a bunch of others still left in the conference. Defense still has to be able to play against mobile QBs.

My point was these things always have great success their first year. Then fall off to be an averagish type advantage. Will take the redskins from averaging lets say 7 ypc on option plays to 5. Something more like a traditional offensive production

But this production gets their QB hit far more.

BigBlueAllDay
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
My point was these things always have great success their first year. Then fall off to be an averagish type advantage. Will take the redskins from averaging lets say 7 ypc on option plays to 5. Something more like a traditional offensive production

But this production gets their QB hit far more.

Regarding RG3, you also have to look at the dumb Dan Synder disregarding the team doctors' medical advice and playing an injured RG3 to break point. Of course, RG3 wanted to keep playing himself as well. Two knuckleheads in a barn.