PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips was a borderline top 5 safety, please let's not slight him now...

NYG4lifeNYK
03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
...just because he's gone.

Health issues aside, this kid was everything we could of asked for and more.

One of my favorite plays of his was that hit on Mewelde Moore of the Steelers.... wow

http://youtu.be/yn6iA9uuZQ4

LayLow
03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Due to him being injury prone I would put him lower. IMO to be a top 5 player you need to be able to count on them consistently.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
the key operative word being "was".

Cloud57
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM

One of my favorite plays of his was that hit on Mewelde Moore of the Steelers.... wow

http://youtu.be/yn6iA9uuZQ4Let me guess Phillips was also injured after that game?

BlueReign
03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
If it weren't for those knees he would still be in blue

gmen46
03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

It's not a matter of slighting him now that he's gone, in my opinion.

He's gone, in part, because he was not "everything we could have asked for" let alone "and more". You cannot simply set aside his health issues, as you so easily do. His health issues are, and have been since Sept 2009, an integral part of him. Whoever hired him--in this case the Eagles--must account for them and make a decision.

To ignore them in evaluating him for a future contract would be like saying "except for the fact that he's blind he has 20/20 vision".".

FBomb
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
um....he's an Eagle!!!!

It's simple math....

KP is an Eagle. All Eagles suck. There therefore KP sucks!! Does EVERYTHING have to be logical? Geez.

WinterIsComing
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Top 5 safeties don't sign for 1.85 million dollars a year on 1 year deals. Bad move on KP's part.

darrin99
03-19-2013, 08:14 PM

I guess my expectations are higher, because I expect more than 3 full seasons out of a safety drafted in Round 1.

Ruttiger711
03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Bob Sanders was great as well.

BuffyBlueII
03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I will miss Kenny Phillips and wish him the best, except of course when he is playing against us.

gmen0820
03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
We're not slighting him. I guess we're just "learning to hate him..."

LayLow
03-19-2013, 08:57 PM
We're not slighting him. I guess we're just "learning to hate him..." LOLOL!!! Kudos!!!

GentleGiant
03-19-2013, 09:09 PM
His play wasn't worth his injuries.

dave56dj
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
I just don't agree and mentioned it in another thread. KP protected the back end nicely and played a nice center field. Also preformed well in the box when asked to. top 5? Nah. Top 5 guys are great in center field and therefore pic off passes. 8 in 5 years is pedestrian at best. Not to mention while the giants were better on the back end when kenny played they still struggled with deep balls (and no that isn't all on kp of course). He was oft injured and when he played was a nice starter and I think thats fair to ask of a 1st rounder - everything we hoped for? Maybe, but his health was never good and again he rarely ever CHANGED games. Again did guys not go up top cause 21 was back there - probably, but game changers and top 5 guys force turnovers as well, kenny never did.

JJC7301
03-19-2013, 10:15 PM
When healthy, KP was a very good player. However, I can't fault the FO for this move even though I have to admit that I am disappointed that they didn't bring him back for 1 year at the contract that the Eagles gave him. AND I would have kept Brown as opposed to bringing TT back.

BuffyBlueII
03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
When healthy, KP was a very good player. However, I can't fault the FO for this move even though I have to admit that I am disappointed that they didn't bring him back for 1 year at the contract that the Eagles gave him. AND I would have kept Brown as opposed to bringing TT back.

I think that maybe KP wanted to leave too. Philly is a good fit for him and he doesn't have to relocate. I think if he stays healthy he will have a very productive year.

Rat_bastich
03-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I would like to quote gmen46 from another post:

"His rookie season, by all accounts, was a disappointment overall. He was expected to take over as a starting safety early in the season. Because he was considered to be that good--by so-called draft gurus, as well as by the Giants org. He started only 3 games.

As we all know, he was spoken of as "all pro" material by Coughlin (among other observers) at the beginning of 2009. He goes on IR after Game 2.

2010 he starts all 16 games, but according to Fewell's own admission, he was "eased back" into play and he was discouraged from "going all out" the entire season.

2011, he plays and starts 15 games and performs at a high level, no doubt. Not "All Pro" or Pro Bowl level, but a very good job.

2012 he plays very well at beginning of season, but misses 9 games, starts 6."

That is not top 5.

miked1958
03-20-2013, 01:59 AM
We will all smile the first time nicks/Cruz/RR/Murphy give him the slip for a long TD

TCHOF
03-20-2013, 06:22 AM

"His rookie season, by all accounts, was a disappointment overall. He was expected to take over as a starting safety early in the season. Because he was considered to be that good--by so-called draft gurus, as well as by the Giants org. He started only 3 games.

As we all know, he was spoken of as "all pro" material by Coughlin (among other observers) at the beginning of 2009. He goes on IR after Game 2.

2010 he starts all 16 games, but according to Fewell's own admission, he was "eased back" into play and he was discouraged from "going all out" the entire season.

2011, he plays and starts 15 games and performs at a high level, no doubt. Not "All Pro" or Pro Bowl level, but a very good job.

That is not top 5.

Very well summarized.

Rat_bastich
03-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Very well summarized.

Credit to Gmen46. He put into words what I was trying to find words for. Top 5 or even top 10 is loosely thrown around these boards alot. And, while I would like to think we have "elite" players we mostly have role players which is better for the team.

jomo
03-20-2013, 07:37 AM

http://youtu.be/yn6iA9uuZQ4No reason to dump on a guy who was darn good when he was playing, but it's hard to put injuries aside in a career that so far has been defined by injuries.

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
um....he's an Eagle!!!!

It's simple math....

KP is an Eagle. All Eagles suck. There therefore KP sucks!! Does EVERYTHING have to be logical? Geez.

WIN!

I loved what KP did for us on the field. He's a great Safety. He's now an Eagle, so I hope his leg falls off.

In the nicest possible manner of course.

embeshAtYa
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
um....he's an Eagle!!!!

It's simple math....

It is pretty simple math man!

BigBlue wins
03-20-2013, 10:33 AM
How do you expect someone to hit has hard as he does sometimes and NOT get injured.

Ruttiger711
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
How do you expect someone to hit has hard as he does sometimes and NOT get injured.

I believe his injury that landed him on IR early in his career was practically contact free. Against Dalls no? I cant recall any of his issues really being contact related for that matter.

CowboysSuck
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM

That is not top 5.

Thank you.

Now, to the gallows with this thread title! this is basphemy....top 5 safety LOL

ny06
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Your favorite play of Kenny Phillips was a 15 yard penalty.
And I wouldn't go as far as to call him a top 5 safety, is he a solid safety? Of course; but to be top 5 in any position in the NFL you have to be on the field more so then not. And you have to have solid numbers (stats) to back it up.
I also expected more from him coming out of College. University of Miami produced Ed Reed and Sean Taylor, so my expectations for Kenny was very high.

yo-ho
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
What Kenny Philips were you people watching? He made may two hits like the one in the original posters video his entire career so far. The rest of the time he's been part of a secondary that gave up huge big plays. I feel bad that he had knee problems, but to say he was a borderline top 5 safety is looking at your team with rose colored glasses. He was promising as a rookie, then never panned out to be what a first round draft choice should be. I'm glad Reese has the smarts to get rid of high priced players that are hampered by injury, and/or are not worth their salary like Bradshaw, Canty, and Philips.

MattMeyerBud
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM

i would MAYBE put him top 10,l but he can't stay on the field so its moot

wayoutwest
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I was never wowed by him at all, Now he is on the eagles.... So I HATE HIS GUTS!!! almost as much as any Cowboy player. :-)