PDA

View Full Version : Antrel Rolle

cowboyhater1216
03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I was looking at his salary, wow he is overpaid, gotta a feeling he is going to be cut if he does not take a pay cut or reworks his contract, statistically hes been awful. He does not deserve to be paid like an elite safety.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
I was looking at his salary, wow he is overpaid, gotta a feeling he is going to be cut if he does not take a pay cut or reworks his contract, statistically hes been awful. He does not deserve to be paid like an elite safety.

this has been beaten to death. first antrel rolle is overpaid but in his defense the contract was restructured. statistically from a cover standpoint he has been awful. the only problem with that is he is a man press cover corner, not a zone guy. he has been misused his entire career. rolle is a beast against the run and has cleaned up many a missed tackle since becoming a giant. he ain't going anywhere this year, probably restructures next year or is released. what pro ball player does deserve the money he/she makes? move rolle back to corner and allow he and prince both to play press coverage.

ShakeandBake
03-19-2013, 09:42 PM
this has been beaten to death. first antrel rolle is overpaid but in his defense the contract was restructured. statistically from a cover standpoint he has been awful. the only problem with that is he is a man press cover corner, not a zone guy. he has been misused his entire career. rolle is a beast against the run and has cleaned up many a missed tackle since becoming a giant. he ain't going anywhere this year, probably restructures next year or is released. what pro ball player does deserve the money he/she makes? move rolle back to corner and allow he and prince both to play press coverage.

Rolle hasn't played corner in years, before his years in arizona. Our Corners should be the fastest guys on the field, and Rolle can't cut it at corner anymore.

Drez
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Rolle hasn't played corner in years, before his years in arizona. Our Corners should be the fastest guys on the field, and Rolle can't cut it at corner anymore.Rolle has essentially been our nickle corner the past two seasons.

ShakeandBake
03-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Rolle has essentially been our nickle corner the past two seasons.

He's talking about playing opposite prince, thank you come again.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Rolle hasn't played corner in years, before his years in arizona. Our Corners should be the fastest guys on the field, and Rolle can't cut it at corner anymore.

so what is his current 40 time wise one? and we have fast corners who cant play already, minus prince.

Drez
03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
He's talking about playing opposite prince, thank you come again.I know what he said. However, you said he hasn't played corner in years. That is false. He has played the nickle A LOT the past two seasons.

Drez
03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
so what is his current 40 time wise one? and we have fast corners who cant play already, minus prince.If you think that our current corners are bad, then you'll be surprised at how poorly Rolle plays it. He was drafted in the 1st as a corner and played so poorly at the position AZ switched him to safety. So, do you really think that at this point in his career it'd be wise to switch him back to a position that he wasn't able to handle previously?

ShakeandBake
03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
so what is his current 40 time wise one? and we have fast corners who cant play already, minus prince.

I have no idea, I'm pretty sure they don't regularly time them. I agree Cweb looked absolutely horrible last season but putting substituting Rolle isn't going to help there.

ShakeandBake
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
I know what he said. However, you said he hasn't played corner in years. That is false. He has played the nickle A LOT the past two seasons.

We are talking about him taking over Cwebs role. Last I checked Cweb plays outside, and Rolle hasn't played there in years so why would you think I was talking about him playing in the slot?

kissjrj
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Let's see how well Fewell adjusts to the current reality our personnel presents.

Drez
03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
We are talking about him taking over Cwebs role. Last I checked Cweb plays outside, and Rolle hasn't played there in years so why would you think I was talking about him playing in the slot?Still, the assertion that he has not played CB in years is false.

ShakeandBake
03-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Still, the assertion that he has not played CB in years is false.

Within context what I said was correct, I would only have to point out that I was talking about outside corner to someone that was too slow to follow along.

B&RWarrior
03-19-2013, 10:14 PM

You "deserve" what the market commands.

JJC7301
03-19-2013, 10:20 PM
I think that when the eventual injuries come to our Safety's this year, like they do every year, they should just try leaving Rolle in his traditional role and not assign him to the slot. He's not good at it and their weakening two spots -- the injured Safety and Rolle. Rolle is good if just left to do what he does best. Plus, he doesn't get injured.

That being said, yes, he's overpaid and the Giants should ask him to take a cut in salary if they haven't already.

Drez
03-19-2013, 10:23 PM
I think that when the eventual injuries come to our Safety's this year, like they do every year, they should just try leaving Rolle in his traditional role and not assign him to the slot. He's not good at it and their weakening two spots -- the injured Safety and Rolle. Rolle is good if just left to do what he does best. Plus, he doesn't get injured.

That being said, yes, he's overpaid and the Giants should ask him to take a cut in salary if they haven't already.Safety, outside of KP, has stayed pretty healthy. It's the CBs that have been dropping like flies. But, if we had CBs that could be reliable in the slot, then there'd be no need to play Rolle there. Unfortunately, we haven't had much choice the past two seasons.

blue_truth
03-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Rolle's stats are horrible because he is constantly asked to play out of position due to injuries. If hes allowed to play FS like he is supposed to......well.... reference the the 49ers game. BEAST.

BuffyBlueII
03-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Rolle's stats are horrible because he is constantly asked to play out of position due to injuries. If hes allowed to play FS like he is supposed to......well.... reference the the 49ers game. BEAST.

+1

BuffyBlueII
03-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Antrelle Rolle may be overpaid but he shows up every game and gives it his all. This guy is a Beast against the run and fears no one. I hope that he finishes his career as a NY Giant.

miked1958
03-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Bottom line of this thread should be this. The guys grossly overpaid and will account for a huge Cap Hit this season. That can't happen... Has to be redone or cut him. Period

giantsfan420
03-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Within context what I said was correct, I would only have to point out that I was talking about outside corner to someone that was too slow to follow along.no thats not true. u said he hasnt played corner in years and even further, he cant play corner. well, as drez pointed out, he plays nickel corner, thus, ur entire statement is false.

Sovereign
03-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Bottom line of this thread should be this. The guys grossly overpaid and will account for a huge Cap Hit this season. That can't happen... Has to be redone or cut him. Period

He'll be cut next year just in time for the Cruz negotiations. If we don't lock him up long term that is.

giantsfam04
03-20-2013, 05:53 AM

cut him and replace him with who? our secondary is arguably the weakest part of our d and you want to cut the guy that doesn't miss a snap and play hard game in and game out great plan.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 07:07 AM
He'll be cut next year just in time for the Cruz negotiations. If we don't lock him up long term that is.

The Cruz negotiations are going on right now. Maybe for the Nicks negotiations? Who is going to step in if you cut him?

fansince69
03-20-2013, 07:17 AM
The Cruz negotiations are going on right now. Maybe for the Nicks negotiations? Who is going to step in if you cut him?you make it sound like that is important.....I think we all know you confuse people when you use logic RF

slipknottin
03-20-2013, 07:18 AM

He plays deep a lot, and usually when he does we all get to watch the ball go over his head for a Td.

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Rolle is the best WILL backer we have on the team. :D

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
you make it sound like that is important.....I think we all know you confuse people when you use logic RF

It's a real flaw I have, I know

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
I don't get it why not take a chance on KP who at worst will get injured and we won't get the full benefit of the money we paid him, yet we are fully willing to pay Rolle who we know won't live up to that salary. I'd cut him and take a loss this year cap wise and move on.

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
The Cruz negotiations are going on right now. Maybe for the Nicks negotiations? Who is going to step in if you cut him?

The best thing he does is run defense. Now I know you remember our run defense in all its glory last year. Those shoes seem pretty easy to fill and even if there is a drop off, it will be worth it for the amount of cash were giving this guy to get burnt and steam rolled.

Drez
03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't get it why not take a chance on KP who at worst will get injured and we won't get the full benefit of the money we paid him, yet we are fully willing to pay Rolle who we know won't live up to that salary. I'd cut him and take a loss this year cap wise and move on. Because we're pot invested in Rolle.

pacco_diablo
03-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Rolle sure does get a bad rap on these boards. It surprises me how so many think he is overrated. Yes, he does make a lot, but I'd personally take him 9 out of 10 times over Phillips. Rolle is a leader and I'm extremely happy that he is on our team. I'm just not seeing what many on here are, and this is after having seen every single Giants game for the last several years.

giantsfam04
03-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Rolle sure does get a bad rap on these boards. It surprises me how so many think he is overrated. Yes, he does make a lot, but I'd personally take him 9 out of 10 times over Phillips. Rolle is a leader and I'm extremely happy that he is on our team. I'm just not seeing what many on here are, and this is after having seen every single Giants game for the last several years.

I agree with you, I don't get it either. Is he overpaid yes, but what athlete isn't overpaid. As for cutting him, who is going to replace him?

Buddy333
03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
So if they keep him what do the get? A Safety that gets beat a lot. Oh, but he talks a good game.

BuffyBlueII
03-20-2013, 10:55 AM
So if they keep him what do the get? A Safety that gets beat a lot. Oh, but he talks a good game.

I we keep him, we get a guy that leads the team in solo tackles with 74 and is second in total tackles with 96. We also keep a guy that will not ***** and moan publically about their nightmares in regard to the oppossing QB and how they hope that "Eli will keep RG III off the field" etc........etc......
I know the guy does get burned but that was something that we knew when we signed him. The guy has no fear, plays tough every game and is a hard nosed football player that is great against the run. I like Antrelle Rolle and hope he stays a NY Giant.

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I we keep him, we get a guy that leads the team in solo tackles with 74 and is second in total tackles with 96. We also keep a guy that will not ***** and moan publically about their nightmares in regard to the oppossing QB and how they hope that "Eli will keep RG III off the field" etc........etc......
I know the guy does get burned but that was something that we knew when we signed him. The guy has no fear, plays tough every game and is a hard nosed football player that is great against the run. I like Antrelle Rolle and hope he stays a NY Giant.

Where's the value? He's great against the run, yet we are awful as a team defending the run. You already admit he gets burned a lot. So his contribution helps the team in what way? We can get the same thing from a safety making WAY less money.

wayoutwest
03-20-2013, 12:14 PM
I like him, I don't get the resentment. He has always been a pro, stays healthy, is a leader.
I say he is a keeper. You can't get the perfect player, Coaches need to work with the strengths and weaknesses and make the best of what they have.

Is he over paid? I guess you all think so, so I will go with that, I'm by no means a capologist.
To my untrained eye he has always seemed like a guy who always shows up, plays hard, and seems to always be in the middle of the action.

Buddy333
03-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Where's the value? He's great against the run, yet we are awful as a team defending the run. You already admit he gets burned a lot. So his contribution helps the team in what way? We can get the same thing from a safety making WAY less money.This. They could save a bunch of money and grab a vet FA for less and get the same production.

pacco_diablo
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
This. They could save a bunch of money and grab a vet FA for less and get the same production.

Don't let leadership be the intangible that gets looked over. One of the things that made Ray Lewis great was his voice as an effective leader. It not only inspired his teammates but it was part of what made him a great player. He wasnt just rah rah, he practiced what he preached. Rolle is similar with his leadership ability, plus he's a pretty damn good player. I doubt many other FA Safeties could come in an be the same type of impact player that he is all the way around.

Buddy333
03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Leadership is a great thing but he has not backed it up with his play. You can be rah rah all you want but if you get beat badly what good is it?

pacco_diablo
03-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Could just be my personal opinion or preference, but to me his positive plays far outweigh his negative ones.

Sovereign
03-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Mike Wallace had "negotiations" a year ago but since he's a UFA he didn't get anything. When Cruz becomes an unrestricted free agent that's when the real negotiations begin.