PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Greatest Giant receiver from the beginning to today

sethm
03-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Based on the current nonsense on this board re H Nicks, I thought a discussion might be interesting as to who are the greatest Giant receivers of all time. Point of order I am also including 2 current roster members who still hopefully will have a long career in a Giant uniform. Of course a vote for them is based on a short resume so think b4 you vote.

I have never done a poll before so I hope this works.

EDIT EDIT: Based on valid criticism please disregard all the tight ends. Apparently I also renamed Homer jones to Thomas LOL sorry it was late. But all in all the conversation seems a tad better that the other thread that who will not be mentioned

AllHailEli
03-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Unless it's an iPad issue, i don't see a poll.

sethm
03-19-2013, 11:44 PM
try again I think I got it now

Giants5699
03-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Not that I'd vote for him, but Plax was better than all but 4 guys on that list.

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Yeah, why is Plaxico not in this list? I'll vote for him. And David Tyree should get honorary award for the single most crucial play he did in the best Super Bowl ever.

BuffyBlueII
03-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Hakeem Nicks is The Greatest WR in NY Giants History.

blueribbon
03-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Should have Joe Morrison and Plax listed.

fizzlesticks
03-20-2013, 12:50 AM
And Bavaro was a TE.

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 12:51 AM
This isn't even close. Nicks is by far the best WR to play for the Giants followed by Plax.

Sovereign
03-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Plax, Nicks and Cruz in that order.

zimonami
03-20-2013, 01:42 AM
I hate being critical, but you need some corrections, in addition to missing Plax, and J. Morrison... you combined Homer Jones and Aaron Thomas, who was a TE, as was Bob Tucker and Bavaro. Now, those 3 TE's would qualify in a list of Receivers, but not WR's. Bavaro, Tucker, and Thomas were our best ever TE's.
Why don't you make some corrections and repost... it is a nice thread for this time of year.
I've seen most every game that every one of these guys played, except for Rote and Gifford.
Plax and Toomer certainly qualify as the best. Plax would be above Toomer if he had 3-4 more years with us.
You do Grey and Manuel a big favor including them with the others. Grey had the potential to be considered, but dropped more passes than anyone on that list, and too many on 3rd down to be happy remembering.

In terms of body of work, it has to be Toomer..
Before too long Nicks will easily be number one. He already is our best ever, IMO, but just needs a few more years to get total career stats worthy of total accolades.
Cruz is our second best ever, IMO, but needs many more years of consistency to be in that "Ever' category.... Just like Tittle was great for the years that he QB'd for us, but Eli and Simms have overwhelmingly more years and stats, and YA never won that championship.
Homer was really great, and made the tough catches, too... but, there just wasn't as much passing in his day. But, along with Nicks and
Cruz he was our best game breaking threat ever.
Nicks, when he's healthy, is just too good not to give him my vote. As long as his career gves him another 3-4 years, there will be no question.

BlueSanta
03-20-2013, 01:42 AM
Career = Toomer

Season = Plax

miked1958
03-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Who is Homer Thomas??? Lol. Did you mean Homer Jones?

fizzlesticks
03-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Career = Toomer

Season = Plax

season = Cruz

JPP=BEASTMODE
03-20-2013, 02:34 AM
Based on the current nonsense on this board re H Nicks, I thought a discussion might be interesting as to who are the greatest Giant receivers of all time. Point of order I am also including 2 current roster members who still hopefully will have a long career in a Giant uniform. Of course a vote for them is based on a short resume so think b4 you vote. I have never done a poll before so I hope this works.You forgot Tim Carter and Sinorice Moss.

fansince69
03-20-2013, 06:44 AM
I hate being critical, but you need some corrections, in addition to missing Plax, and J. Morrison... you combined Homer Jones and Aaron Thomas, who was a TE, as was Bob Tucker and Bavaro. Now, those 3 TE's would qualify in a list of Receivers, but not WR's. Bavaro, Tucker, and Thomas were our best ever TE's.
Why don't you make some corrections and repost... it is a nice thread for this time of year.
I've seen most every game that every one of these guys played, except for Rote and Gifford.
Plax and Toomer certainly qualify as the best. Plax would be above Toomer if he had 3-4 more years with us.
You do Grey and Manuel a big favor including them with the others. Grey had the potential to be considered, but dropped more passes than anyone on that list, and too many on 3rd down to be happy remembering.

Before too long Nicks will easily be number one. He already is our best ever, IMO, but just needs a few more years to get total career stats worthy of total accolades.
Cruz is our second best ever, IMO, but needs many more years of consistency to be in that "Ever' category.... Just like Tittle was great for the years that he QB'd for us, but Eli and Simms have overwhelmingly more years and stats, and YA never won that championship.
Homer was really great, and made the tough catches, too... but, there just wasn't as much passing in his day. But, along with Nicks and
Nicks, when he's healthy, is just too good not to give him my vote. As long as his career gves him another 3-4 years, there will be no question.As someone that saw all of these guys but gifford and rote...Jones was at end of his carreer here .....I agree with everything said above.......I am sorry though I think most of you remember the good things Plax did but you all seem to forget the fact he was NOT a team player.....On more than one occassion I watched as after an interception plax would stand there waving his arms....looking at the bench and at Eli as if to say thta pass was terrible as the defender ran past him....almost seeming like he was more worried that he would look bad instead of finishing the play.....as good as he was those plays used to piss me off alot.......In conclusion....At this moment Toomer still has the best body of work soon to be passed by Nicks........cruz is already as good as Plax ever was...and will soon pass him

foxie
03-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Who is Homer Thomas??? Lol. Did you mean Homer Jones? Yeah it was a thing of beauty seeing Receiver Homer Thomas streaking down the field hauling those bombs from Fran Simms. But even better was All-Pro Giant receiver Homer Jones, nicknamed Seabiscut for his speed, He put excitement in the Giant offense back in the day, along with the scrambling Tarkenton. I hope Homer, who resides in Texas now days with some heath issues, doesn't read these boards. Gone & Forgotten!

JayMas9
03-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Numbers wise it's Toomer obviously, and he is really the first "I can take over a game by myself" receiver they've had (in his prime of course). He was also one of my favorite players. All that being said, Nicks and Cruz have more talent, and if they both stay with the Giants, both of them will easily be the top 2 receivers in team history.

I should also add, I never saw Homer Jones play, so this is based off my life (I'm 26) and who I've witnessed.

bigjeep
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Where is Delbert Martin Shofner! 5 time all pro?

bigjeep
03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Yeah it was a thing of beauty seeing Receiver Homer Thomas streaking down the field hauling those bombs from Fran Simms. But even better was All-Pro Giant receiver Homer Jones, nicknamed Seabiscut for his speed, He put excitement in the Giant offense back in the day, along with the scrambling Tarkenton. I hope Homer, who resides in Texas now days with some heath issues, doesn't read these boards. Gone & Forgotten!

I remember the "knock" on Homer Jones was the QB had no clue what route he would run, and that Included Homer Jones! LOL!

slipknottin
03-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Hakeem Nicks is The Greatest WR in NY Giants History.

This. It really isn't even close.

Nicks has better numbers than plax already. And he's still only 25

People forget plax was only a giant for 3.5 years

Nicks is criminally underrated on these boards. People still talk about how good plax was in the playoffs vs GB. And completely miss how good nicks was the entire playoffs. Possibly a top 2 WR performance of all time in the playoffs

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Kind of silly including one guy who has started all of two seasons, another guy who has three seasons under his belt and another who isn't even a receiver.

sethm
03-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Nicks, when he's healthy, is just too good not to give him my vote. As long as his career gves him another 3-4 years, there will be no question.

You make a very valid point 1st question am I able to edit pole instead of redoing?

JPP=BEASTMODE
03-20-2013, 07:55 AM
This. It really isn't even close. Nicks has better numbers than plax already. And he's still only 25People forget plax was only a giant for 3.5 yearsNicks is criminally underrated on these boards. People still talk about how good plax was in the playoffs vs GB. And completely miss how good nicks was the entire playoffs. Possibly a top 2 WR performance of all time in the playoffsThe best thing about it is that he's just hitting his prime.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Where is Delbert Martin Shofner! 5 time all pro?

This is the problem with polls

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Nicks is criminally underrated on these boards. People still talk about how good plax was in the playoffs vs GB. And completely miss how good nicks was the entire playoffs. Possibly a top 2 WR performance of all time in the playoffs

Was "criminally underrated" a pun of sorts seeing as how Plaxico is in the conversation?? :rolleyes:

JPP=BEASTMODE
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Lol who is Homer Thomas?

EliDaMANning
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Nicks is criminally underrated on these boards. People still talk about how good plax was in the playoffs vs GB. And completely miss how good nicks was the entire playoffs. Possibly a top 2 WR performance of all time in the playoffsI'm not sure why people are voting for other players.

sethm
03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Lol who is Homer Thomas?

See edit on very 1st post Sorry again

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
As someone that saw all of these guys but gifford and rote...Jones was at end of his carreer here .....I agree with everything said above.......I am sorry though I think most of you remember the good things Plax did but you all seem to forget the fact he was NOT a team player.....On more than one occassion I watched as after an interception plax would stand there waving his arms....looking at the bench and at Eli as if to say thta pass was terrible as the defender ran past him....almost seeming like he was more worried that he would look bad instead of finishing the play.....as good as he was those plays used to piss me off alot.......In conclusion....At this moment Toomer still has the best body of work soon to be passed by Nicks........cruz is already as good as Plax ever was...and will soon pass him

Yeah, he had that monster game against Green Bay. But all I remember is Plaxico Burress actually playing hurt all of 2007 season, he was not even practicing. He was our top receiver that year. We were cruising in 2008 until he stupidly shot himself, got released and went to jail. Eli wasn't as good then as he is now, Plaxico would be grabbing those balls. As much as I love Hakeem Nicks, I wish he played last season like Burress did in 2007. And last season should have looked more like the 2008 season, or at least we should have won one more game to make the playoffs.

fansince69
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah, he had that monster game against Green Bay. But all I remember is Plaxico Burress actually playing hurt all of 2007 season, he was not even practicing. He was our top receiver that year. We were cruising in 2008 until he stupidly shot himself, got released and went to jail. Eli wasn't as good then as he is now, Plaxico would be grabbing those balls. As much as I love Hakeem Nicks, I wish he played last season like Burress did in 2007. And last season should have looked more like the 2008 season, or at least we should have won one more game to make the playoffs.My question about 2007 and always has been....was Plax really as hurt as he claimed or was it his way to get out of practice....his MO has always been kind of a lazy player....seemed awful convienant for a guy to be hurt everyday but Sunday...as much as I appreciate plax and what he did....his attitude left alot to be desired

slipknottin
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah, he had that monster game against Green Bay. But all I remember is Plaxico Burress actually playing hurt all of 2007 season, he was not even practicing. He was our top receiver that year. We were cruising in 2008 until he stupidly shot himself, got released and went to jail. Eli wasn't as good then as he is now, Plaxico would be grabbing those balls. As much as I love Hakeem Nicks, I wish he played last season like Burress did in 2007. And last season should have looked more like the 2008 season, or at least we should have won one more game to make the playoffs.

I don't know why people remember burress being great in 2008. He was mostly useless all season, long before he shot himself. 450 yards and 4 TDs in 10 games.

Burress shooting himself didn't change anything that season. The DL wearing down and having no depth after losing stray and Osi have much more to do with it.

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 08:50 AM

I'll even say this argument can be made, but how do people think Toomer was a better receiver than Plax or Nicks?

fansince69
03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
I don't know why people remember burress being great in 2008. He was mostly useless all season, long before he shot himself. 450 yards and 4 TDs in 10 games.

Burress shooting himself didn't change anything that season. The DL wearing down and having no depth after losing stray and Osi have much more to do with it.As usual slip comes up with facts rather than the emotion that most people on here rely on

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Burress shooting himself didn't change anything that season. The DL wearing down and having no depth after losing stray and Osi have much more to do with it.

I remember coverage being rolled his way the same way coverage was rolled Nicks way and his numbers went down. Very few team took Plax out of the game one on one. Then there were games when the color commentators replayed several plays during a game where he wasn't completing his routes and was meandering lethargically around the field. I think the combination of the two led to poor performance.

slipknottin
03-20-2013, 08:58 AM
I remember coverage being rolled his way the same way coverage was rolled Nicks way and his numbers went down. Very few team took Plax out of the game one on one. Then there were games when the color commentators replayed several plays during a game where he wasn't completing his routes and was meandering lethargically around the field. I think the combination of the two led to poor performance.
Coverage was rolled his way because Toomer was done.

Plaxico was an average to below average receiver in 08.

fansince69
03-20-2013, 09:01 AM

Plaxico was an average to below average receiver in 08.which is exactly why nicks and cruze compliment each other so well....Its very hard to double both....I also belive this is why Cruz seemed to struggle at times last year when Nicks wasnt there to take the heat off

BlueJayC
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
If by "greatest" you mean career it's really not close at all....Amani Toomer......in 5-6 years it might be Victor or Hakeem.....if talking season by season SS12 should be included on the list as well......

sethm
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I'll even say this argument can be made, but how do people think Toomer was a better receiver than Plax or Nicks?

Simply put body of work

Super Bowl win (XLII)
2 time NFC Champion (2007, 2000)
Receptions 668
Receiving yards 9,497
54 TDS
New York Giants Ring of Honor
Intangibles: Great on the edges and very good over the middle. I mean how many toe tap catches falling out of bounds can a guy do?
For the record he is my vote for best so far in Giant history

JayMas9
03-20-2013, 09:05 AM

Nicks is criminally underrated on these boards. People still talk about how good plax was in the playoffs vs GB. And completely miss how good nicks was the entire playoffs. Possibly a top 2 WR performance of all time in the playoffsAll of this.

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
My question about 2007 and always has been....was Plax really as hurt as he claimed or was it his way to get out of practice....his MO has always been kind of a lazy player....seemed awful convienant for a guy to be hurt everyday but Sunday...as much as I appreciate plax and what he did....his attitude left alot to be desired

Are you serious? Don't they have medical staff to clear you out practice? Otherwise, you get fined. I understand people sour on bad attitude but at the end of the day, he got his job done hurt. And let's not forget after the nightmare 2010 season for Eli in terms of interception, most people wanted Burress back for 2011 considering we lost Steve Smith and Kevin Boss. It's all good it all worked out for us in 2011, but 2007 will not be a success without Burress, whether he checked his attitude at the door or not that season. We know already he played hurt.

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Losing your #1 receiver will always affect your team. He could have made a difference in the playoffs, but it just wasn't in the cards. I guess he was heading to trouble anyway and it's a shame.

keyofgmen
03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Kinda partial to Homer Jones. He was my 1st favorite WR as a kid...

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Plaxico was an average to below average receiver in 08.

Your oversimplifying the problem. In part coverage was rolled his way because of Toomer's decline, but the other factor is that we had just come of a SB victory and every team in the league zeroed on how we succeeded on offense. I'm sure it had to show up on tape that Eli would throw to Plax even if he was triple covered.

If you look at his numbers in 2007 the aren't that far off from what he did for his career with the Giants if they were estimated to the equivalent of a year's performance. It's why I said Nicks was head and shoulders above all receivers in Giant history.

BlueJayC
03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Guess who put these numbers up in NYG Blue?

107 Receptions 1220 Yards 11.4 Yards/Rec 7 TD's 76.3 Yards/Game

BigBlue wins
03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
lol its too bad some of those players arent WR's...

Of any receiver, I'd go with Mark Bavaro...but you asked about wide receivers...I see what you did there

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Guess who put these numbers up in NYG Blue?

107 Receptions 1220 Yards 11.4 Yards/Rec 7 TD's 76.3 Yards/Game

SS- I'm guessing. I could Google it but I want to see if I know the answer. SS should definitely be on the list.

njg85m
03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
I go with Nicks solely based on his monstrous playoff performance last year. Seriously a thing of beauty.

BlueJayC
03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
SS- I'm guessing. I could Google it but I want to see if I know the answer. SS should definitely be on the list.

Well done sir.....
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/well_done_sir.gif

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
I go with Nicks solely based on his monstrous playoff performance last year. Seriously a thing of beauty.

I gotta admit that Hail Mary catch was amazing! He just totally out jump everybody.

njg85m
03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
I gotta admit that Hail Mary catch was amazing! He just totally out jump everybody.

Yeah that catch had me jumping up and down screaming in laughter and joy like a maniac. The crazy thing is, that wasn't even his best play of the game. He was amazing in the playoffs.

TroyArcher
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Del Shofner, before my time but he surely should be on the list.

fansince69
03-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Are you serious? Don't they have medical staff to clear you out practice? Otherwise, you get fined. I understand people sour on bad attitude but at the end of the day, he got his job done hurt. And let's not forget after the nightmare 2010 season for Eli in terms of interception, most people wanted Burress back for 2011 considering we lost Steve Smith and Kevin Boss. It's all good it all worked out for us in 2011, but 2007 will not be a success without Burress, whether he checked his attitude at the door or not that season. We know already he played hurt.Sorry yes he played hurt...I have always questioned how hurt....only the player knows how hurt he truly is...medical staff can only determine so much....why do you think they ask a pain scale?if you are just willing to blindly accept that a guy is hurt mon-sat and then becomes superman on sunday....so be it.. I am not.....Was he important that season? of course....but this same complaint has followed him his whole career so I am not the only one that has these question about the man....your willing to forgive his crap for the few moments he shines....I am not

GameTime
03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
http://nashvillegman.hubpages.com/hub/New-York-Giants-All-Time-Receiving-Yardage-Leaders

Toomer...

dont forget Tiki is third on the list

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Sorry yes he played hurt...I have always questioned how hurt....only the player knows how hurt he truly is...medical staff can only determine so much....why do you think they ask a pain scale?if you are just willing to blindly accept that a guy is hurt mon-sat and then becomes superman on sunday....so be it.. I am not.....Was he important that season? of course....but this same complaint has followed him his whole career so I am not the only one that has these question about the man....your willing to forgive his crap for the few moments he shines....I am not

He was cleared by medical staff to not attend practice, that's good enough for me. And even better he helped win us a Super Bowl, the best one ever for me, so I'm not going to trivialize his contribution for that 2007 season or with the Giants for that matter. And for someone who did not attend practice, wasn't he amazing he still played that good? I was basically saying I wish Nicks played like that last season, because Plaxico was able to play hurt and without practice. But I love Hakeem Nicks esp. when he's healthy, he deserves his contract to be prioritized.

In the immortal words of the great Allen Iverson:

"But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We aint talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now."

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
He was cleared by medical staff to not attend practice, that's good enough for me. And even better he helped win us a Super Bowl, the best one ever for me, so I'm not going to trivialize his contribution for that 2007 season or with the Giants for that matter. And for someone who did not attend practice, wasn't he amazing he still played that good? I was basically saying I wish Nicks played like that last season, because Plaxico was able to play hurt and without practice. But I love Hakeem Nicks esp. when he's healthy, he deserves his contract to be prioritized.

In the immortal words of the great Allen Iverson:

"But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We aint talking about the game. We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now."

LOL @ the Iverson quote. If you think Plax is average all you have to do is look at his return from prison. He got 8 TDs out of Sanchez's sorry butt. That is AMAZING!

blueribbon
03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
How could you forget Homer Jones? The founding father and inventor of the SPIKE. Modern post-touchdown celebrations, including "touchdown dances," are said to have evolved from Jones.

http://www.helmethut.com/Giants/HJones (8).jpg

JB456
03-20-2013, 10:27 AM
LOL @ the Iverson quote. If you think Plax is average all you have to do is look at his return from prison. He got 8 TDs out of Sanchez's sorry but. That is AMAZING!

The funny thing about his stint with the Jets is that the fans can't stand him. Jets fans are so dillusional that they thought that Plax should outperform Holmes even though Holmes had a 50million dollar contract and Plax had a what, 2 million dollar deal. Did Plax even play lst year, i didn't hear anything about him?

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 10:29 AM
The funny thing about his stint with the Jets is that the fans can't stand him. Jets fans are so dillusional that they thought that Plax should outperform Holmes even though Holmes had a 50million dollar contract and Plax had a what, 2 million dollar deal. Did Plax even play lst year, i didn't hear anything about him?

He played towards the end of the season with the Steelers and re-signed with them again.

bigal1giant
03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
It is certainly a younger set of members on the boards! I was fortunate to see Homer Jones in person in Yankee Stadium and still, IMHO, regard him as the greatest Giants receiver! Yes, we have the hype for Cruz, the short, but excellent tenure of Nicks, and the outstanding career of Amani Toomer. But being able to see all of the selected group in person while living in New York, I'd still have to go with Homer Jones! And, in his six years with the G-Men had a 22.3 yards per catch which I believe is third all time in the history of the league! Once in the clear no one ever caught him from behind. The only man faster in the NFL at the time was the Olympic 100 meter gold medalist "Bullet" Bob Hayes!

bigal1giant
03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
OOPS, according to Wikipedia, Homer Jones 22.3 YPC is number one in the NFL Record Book!! My Bad!!!!

njg85m
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Homer Jones was before my time, but I do recall my father/uncles talking about him. General consensus was typically:

"Not a super star football player, but probably the fastest man on the planet at the time"

jimsgints
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Career = Toomer

Season = Plax I agree with this..

Giant stuck in Texas
03-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Since your apparently such a big numbers guy, I got some numbers here for you to chew on.

Run game against the Eagles with Plax that year- 219 yards ( week 10)
Run game against the Eagles without Plax that year- 88 yards ( Week 14)

Run game against the Cowboys with Plax that year - 200 yards ( week 9)
Run game against the Cowboys without Plax that's year- 72 yards ( week 15)

Run game against the Redskins with Plax that year- 154 yards ( week 1)
Run game against the Redskins without Plax that year- 108 yards (week 13)

Burress shooting himself absolutely and single handedly changed the course of 2008. The double teams and coverages that Plax use to draw, kept defenses honest. The second he left the game in AZ with that hamstring injury ( which turned out to be the last time he would see the field in a Giants uniform) our running game went to ****. From that point on teams weren't afraid to stack the box. Our running game went from an average of around 170yds a game to around and average of 100yds a game virtually overnight.

slipknottin
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Since your apparently such a big numbers guy, I got some numbers here for you to chew on.

Completely meaningless. Teams run the ball more when they have the lead. When they are playing from behind they throw more.

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
If I chose Hakeem over Toomer, does that make me a bad person?

CowboysSuck
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
HOW IS PLAXICO BURRESS NOT ON THAT LIST?

Im not just being a biased *******....maybe Plax didnt play the most years, wasnt the most loyal of Giants, didnt have the stats Amani has etc etc. BUT, Plaxico Burress was the greatest wideout we've ever had. He dominated teams, caught anything his way....oh yeah, and he had a huge part in winning us a SB.

sincerely,
forever a Plax fan

CowboysSuck
03-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Plax, Toomer, Bavaro (not a WR though)

Also not a WR was gifford. I believe he was known as a RB

Giant stuck in Texas
03-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Completely meaningless. Teams run the ball more when they have the lead. When they are playing from behind they throw more.Yeah your right, it must be just a coincidence.

CowboysSuck
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
and to the gentlemen arguing about 2008:

If you really (like in your heart of hearts) don't believe that the loss of Plaxico had nothing to down with our untimely demise....then you, sir, are delusional. He may not have put up huge numbers in '08, but he still caught balls. He was still a huge parts of Eli's game (psychologically). And without Plax who did we have? Hixon?

C'mon man

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
HOW IS PLAXICO BURRESS NOT ON THAT LIST?

Im not just being a biased *******....maybe Plax didnt play the most years, wasnt the most loyal of Giants, didnt have the stats Amani has etc etc. BUT, Plaxico Burress was the greatest wideout we've ever had. He dominated teams, caught anything his way....oh yeah, and he had a huge part in winning us a SB.

sincerely,
forever a Plax fan

I'm holding out my vote until Plaxico is included in that poll. :) I will vote Plaxico, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz and Toomer in that order. The older ones I just don't know them enough.

zimonami
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
How could I totally forget Del Shofner... a great receiver. He and YA had a few great years for us.
Our own YA would certainly mention that Del belongs here.
He's definitely in our top ten of all time.

Giant stuck in Texas
03-20-2013, 11:31 AM
and to the gentlemen arguing about 2008:

If you really (like in your heart of hearts) don't believe that the loss of Plaxico had nothing to down with our untimely demise....then you, sir, are delusional. He may not have put up huge numbers in '08, but he still caught balls. He was still a huge parts of Eli's game (psychologically). And without Plax who did we have? Hixon?

C'mon manDon't bother, that dudes head is thicker then concrete. The minute you bring up facts that go against anything he has to say, his responses turn into wispy one liners and does a good job at avoiding those said facts.

pacco_diablo
03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
As a kid, I've got to go with Stephen Baker as a favorite... and Boy has that number 85 carried over well through the years!

For constancy sake, up until now, it's hard not to go with Toomer. Definitely hoping that changes over the next 4-5 years though.

CowboysSuck
03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Don't bother, that dudes head is thicker then concrete. The minute you bring up facts that go against anything he has to say, his responses turn into wispy one liners and does a good job at avoiding those said facts.

Yeah i see Slip and his ways. The stats man. Maybe the Gothic man too?

JayMas9
03-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I cannot believe the delusional goggles people view Plaxico Burress with in this place. Steve Smith, Victor Cruz, and Toomer all had better individual seasons than him in blue at one point or another. And Nick's playoff run is 2nd only to Fitz all time, and if he would have played the same amount of games as Burress in both of their respective 2 best seasons, he would have had better numbers. Plaxico isn't even close to the best receiver in Giants' history.

jintsfan666
03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Difficult to make an honest assessment over time because of the change in league philosophy regarding how defenders are (or are not) allowed to defend wide receivers. Del Shofner would have a field day with today's rules in place when he played. Cruz would likely never make it off the line of scrimmage forty years ago.

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I cannot believe the delusional goggles people view Plaxico Burress with in this place. Steve Smith, Victor Cruz, and Toomer all had better individual seasons than him in blue at one point or another. And Nick's playoff run is 2nd only to Fitz all time, and if he would have played the same amount of games as Burress in both of their respective 2 best seasons, he would have had better numbers. Plaxico isn't even close to the best receiver in Giants' history.

Plaxico played with a younger Eli, a more inconsistent Eli. Stats don't paint the whole picture for Plaxico. The guy always got double teamed, and he would just be grabbing balls and forget about one on one which he would always win because of his size and height. The guy was not practicing in 2007, showed up on Sundays and played like a superstar and yes, won a Super Bowl for you. He's a security blanket for Eli. Guess what happened after he left? Just took another 5 years to see a clear replacement for him. Let's not even talk what happened to 2010, and how we're so pissed receivers were tipping balls causing a lot of Eli's interceptions or how there was an outcry Steve Smith was leaving.

pacco_diablo
03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Plaxico played with a younger Eli, a more inconsistent Eli. Stats don't paint the whole picture for Plaxico. The guy always got double teamed, and he would just be grabbing balls and forget about one on one which he would always win because of his size and height. The guy was not practicing in 2007, showed up on Sundays and played like a superstar and yes, won a Super Bowl for you. He's a security blanket for Eli. Guess what happened after he left? Just took another 5 years to see a clear replacement for him. Let's not even talk what happened to 2010, and how we're so pissed receivers were tipping balls causing a lot of Eli's interceptions or how there was an outcry Steve Smith was leaving.

You make a solid argument for him having one of the greatest seasons as a Giants WR. No doubt that we DO NOT go to that SB without him. However, as an all-time Giants great WR, I'd have to leave him off the list. You could make the comparison of San Diego fans saying that Shawne Merriman was one of their best LBers of all-time. Which I'm sure some would make that case.

blueribbon
03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Homer's my Homie

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 02:17 PM
You make a solid argument for him having one of the greatest seasons as a Giants WR. No doubt that we DO NOT go to that SB without him. However, as an all-time Giants great WR, I'd have to leave him off the list. You could make the comparison of San Diego fans saying that Shawne Merriman was one of their best LBers of all-time. Which I'm sure some would make that case.

Because his career with the Giants was cut short but he was great as a Giant considering Eli was just starting his career. Eli needed someone like him who would fight to grab balls. His problems were really self-inflicted and off the field, and it took us a long time to find a clear replacement for him.

pacco_diablo
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Because his career with the Giants was cut short but he was great as a Giant considering Eli was just starting his career. Eli needed someone like him who would fight to grab balls. His problems were really self-inflicted and off the field, and it took us a long time to find a clear replacement for him.

i hear you and can see some of your argument. However, it appears as if some of your argument is based on speculation of what might have been had he kept his head on straight. Great year with the potential of being a great player? Definitely. True consistency as a Giants WR? No, because he never afforded himself the opportunity to do so.

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
i hear you and can see some of your argument. However, it appears as if some of your argument is based on speculation of what might have been had he kept his head on straight. Great year with the potential of being a great player? Definitely. True consistency as a Giants WR? No, because he never afforded himself the opportunity to do so.

But he was great while he was playing here, though it was short, and a lot of the plays he made, that was on him. And as I said, there was no clear replacement for him until 2011. We're still whining after 2010, so in terms of impact, he had a huge impact.

Giantstepz
03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Based on the current nonsense on this board re H Nicks, I thought a discussion might be interesting as to who are the greatest Giant receivers of all time. Point of order I am also including 2 current roster members who still hopefully will have a long career in a Giant uniform. Of course a vote for them is based on a short resume so think b4 you vote.

I have never done a poll before so I hope this works.

EDIT EDIT: Based on valid criticism please disregard all the tight ends. Apparently I also renamed Homer jones to Thomas LOL sorry it was late. But all in all the conversation seems a tad better that the other thread that who will not be mentioned

You youngsters may not recall the great Del Shoffner, brought in from the Los Angeles Rams, to give free-agent pass-whiz Yelverton Abraham (Y.A.) Tittle a target to throw to. Del was an All Star for the next 3 seasons (1961-1963). So - who have we had that was the League best at his position three years running?

sethm
03-20-2013, 03:28 PM
You youngsters may not recall the great Del Shoffner, brought in from the Los Angeles Rams, to give free-agent pass-whiz Yelverton Abraham (Y.A.) Tittle a target to throw to. Del was an All Star for the next 3 seasons (1961-1963). So - who have we had that was the League best at his position three years running?

Youngster? NOT!! just only bad at polls. with 10 choices I made about 4 bad ones. I titled this a "WR" poll when I should have said just receivers. Try and learn I will do better I hope next time.

tonyt830
03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I love Nicks, but I voted Toomer, based on stats. I would say that Nicks will become that #1 Giant WR in a couple more years, especially if he stays healthy. We know what kind of player he is on the field when he is not dinged up.

NYG 5
03-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Simply put body of work

Super Bowl win (XLII)
2 time NFC Champion (2007, 2000)
Receptions 668
Receiving yards 9,497
54 TDS
New York Giants Ring of Honor
Intangibles: Great on the edges and very good over the middle. I mean how many toe tap catches falling out of bounds can a guy do?
For the record he is my vote for best so far in Giant history

you have to look at his record shattering season in 2002 and realize that he did it opposite only Shockey and no other WR. and he did it in the Old League to boot.

we haven't seen enough of Nicks to make a fair judgment. he simply hasn't had enough opportunities to take over a game. the super bowl, and then the hail mary, thats about it.

Cruz is the best slot receiver we've had, but not the best wideout. as of now.

bigjeep
03-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Lets not forget, It was a lot tougher years ago to be a receiver. They could be hit until the ball was in the air. Today they are protected like endangered species! Much easier today.

11to85
03-20-2013, 08:10 PM
You forgot Tim Carter and Sinorice Moss.

Those are close, but Thomas Lewis was the best to be honest.

NYG 5
03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Lets not forget, It was a lot tougher years ago to be a receiver. They could be hit until the ball was in the air. Today they are protected like endangered species! Much easier today.

remember when Toomer got clocked in the endzone against the bucs and lost his helmet on MNF? heh, they used to call that a good play

Shockeystays08
03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Don't you mean Homer Jones? Ernest Gray was the best IMHO

Shockeystays08
03-20-2013, 09:26 PM

Leaving Del Shofner off the list was a bit of an oversight but who's perfect?

His was my first Giants autograph. In a program from a Giants Eagles game at Yankee Stadium 1964.

JayMas9
03-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Plaxico played with a younger Eli, a more inconsistent Eli. Stats don't paint the whole picture for Plaxico. The guy always got double teamed, and he would just be grabbing balls and forget about one on one which he would always win because of his size and height. The guy was not practicing in 2007, showed up on Sundays and played like a superstar and yes, won a Super Bowl for you. He's a security blanket for Eli. Guess what happened after he left? Just took another 5 years to see a clear replacement for him. Let's not even talk what happened to 2010, and how we're so pissed receivers were tipping balls causing a lot of Eli's interceptions or how there was an outcry Steve Smith was leaving.We literally had a more productive receiving corp, and more explosive plays the very season after Plax was gone. I'll never knock his contributions during the super bowl season, but I also give Toomer a lot of credit for being "the guy" in those first 2 playoff games making things happen, as well as being our leading receiver in the actual super bowl. Plax was amazing against green bay, and like I said I'll never take that away from him...but in the greatest of all time discussion? It's ridiculous.

njersey
03-21-2013, 01:59 AM
Tiki Barber.

giants8493
03-21-2013, 02:18 AM
The answer to this question is Hakeem Nicks

NYGfanSTRICK
03-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Career- Toomer
Impact changing a team- Plax
My pick for greatest when retires- Nicks
Greatest pickup underdog- Cruz
Greatest Preseason/OTA/Practice WR ever- Sinorice Moss apparently hahaha. Every single year it would be the same thing. Moss is really showing great stuff this preseason then in games fails to exist.