PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Victor Cruz Tells Jersey City Students Work Hard, Never Quit

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 09:16 AM
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2013/03/new_york_giants_victor_cruz_te.html

Excerpt: "New York Giants star receiver Victor Cruz surprised students at two Jersey City schools this afternoon, bringing music, dance and a message of working hard in school and never quitting.

"I just wanted to talk to you guys and tell you the importance of being in school," said Cruz as he took the stage at School 5 on Merseles Street to a roar from 500 fourth- to eighth-graders at the Downtown school.

He said he didn't commit himself in high school and "I really paid the price because I got kicked out of college twice." Cruz told the students that when he finally began applying himself academically in college, everything became easier, even football.

Looking at the sea of students, Cruz said he saw a lot of faces "that used to be me. But I didn't have someone come and tell me to focus on my schoolwork. That's what gonna keep you moving forward...Just stay focused, and I'm just trying to be the best roll model I can be so you can see me and be proud."

Cruz took questions from students, including one from a boy who asked him to do the salsa dance he uses to celebrate on the field. The Giant declined.

Principal Wendy Perez asked the star to say what was the best advise he had been given, and Cruz, who had spoken of his mother's guidance several times during his talk, returned to her in his answer.

"The one thing my mom told me when I was going through my ups and downs was never be a quitter, never be known as someone who quits," Cruz said. "Finish anything, even if you don't like it." Read more...

Toadofsteel
03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Am I supposed to read anything into his declining to salsa for a fan? Or is he just tired of everyone asking him to do so?

BigBlue wins
03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Am I supposed to read anything into his declining to salsa for a fan? Or is he just tired of everyone asking him to do so?

that was kind of a **** thing to do...it was a kid that asked him

GameTime
03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
that was kind of a **** thing to do...it was a kid that asked him
he wanted the focus to be on the importance of staying in school and doing well. He wants the kids to take away more from his talk then "Cruz did the salsa in class today"

B&RWarrior
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
he wanted the focus to be on the importance of staying in school and doing well. He wants the kids to take away more from his talk then "Cruz did the salsa in class today"

I like it. He had a serious message that he wanted to separate from the theatrics of NFL football. Essentially he's saying forget about my dance on the field and listen to my message on the dance of life. The 'never quit' message should hit home coming from an undrafted free agent.

BigBlue wins
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I like it. He had a serious message that he wanted to separate from the theatrics of NFL football. Essentially he's saying forget about my dance on the field and listen to my message on the dance of life. The 'never quit' message should hit home coming from an undrafted free agent.

Guess I never saw it like that

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Am I supposed to read anything into his declining to salsa for a fan? Or is he just tired of everyone asking him to do so? Seriously, that is what you take away from the story?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
that was kind of a **** thing to do...it was a kid that asked him What was he trying to accomplish?

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
He struggled mightily in school and hopes these kids won't go through what he had to go through. The Salsa wasn't important at the time.

BuffyBlueII
03-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Exactly. The guy went in to deliver a message and didn't want to have it overshadowed.

BigBlue wins
03-20-2013, 03:29 PM
What was he trying to acxomplish?

I think that was already answered with the he wanted to make a point thing...

I dont think he needed to be as somber as that, but whatever floats his boat i guess

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
I think that was already answered with the he wanted to make a point thing...

I dont think he needed to be as somber as that, but whatever floats his boat i guess

Somber? His message was uplifting and he wanted the kids to take what he was saying seriously. How would doing the salsa further that effort?

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Did he say anything new you haven't heard before?