PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning Calls Victor Cruz's Uncertain Giants' Future "Nerve-Wracking"

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 06:04 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/03/eli_manning_calls_victor_cruzs.html

Excerpt: "Eli Manning has his fingers crossed that his most productive receiver, Victor Cruz, will be back with the team in 2013 (and beyond). The Giants quarterback hopes the fact that they now share the same agent, CAA's Tom Condon, can only help get that done.

"Iíve been sending a few texts to (Condon), 'Yeah, hey, get this done. Make sure he stays with us,' " Manning said, half-joking, at a Samsung spring launch event at the Museum of American Finance today. "Obviously, I want Victor back with the Giants. ... I check the papers every morning to make sure no one else has offered him a contract."

Cruz is a restricted free agent. The Giants tendered him at the first-round level (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/03/giants_give_victor_cruz_first-.html) last week, but other teams can sign Cruz to a competing offer sheet until April 19.

"It is nerve-wracking, though," Manning continued. "He is anxious; I know he has been dealing with this contract issue for a long time, last year and end of thisÖ I know he wants it just settled and wants to get back to playing football and just worrying about that."

Cruz, the former undrafted free agent who set the Giants' single-season receiving record in 2011, switched agents last week. Condon represents a few Giants players, including Manning and defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka.

"I think, obviously, Tom is the best in the business," Manning said. "He has worked with the Giants on a number of players, so I think they trust him. And he knows what the best way (is) to get Victor to stay with the Giants for hopefully a long time."

There are a lot of benefits to Cruz, a Paterson native, staying in the New York area, between exposure, endorsements and continuing in a Giants offense in which he's seen much success.

"I would think he would want to stay in this area," Manning said. "But in the end, if another team comes in and throws a big contract at him, then you've got to make those decisions. I think he likes being here, I think he fits very well into our offense. I think he realizes that in what he's been able to do and the success. You never know, if you go to another offense, maybe it doesn't fit as well to your style. He fits very well here, and hopefully he stays here."

For now, Manning is focused on getting ready for 2013, and he's including Cruz in those plans. The two talked this week and last week." Read more...

BigBlueAllDay
03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Eli Manning, JOIN THE CLUB!

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
More full court press evidence.