PDA

View Full Version : Brian Urlacher?

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/bears-announce-brian-urlacher-will-not-be-back/

I'm not one to throw names out and expect us to sign every free agent. However, he cant be much worse than connor at this point in his career. He's a bit slow and a bit long in the tooth but would be a good fit here IMO. If, of course, the price is right.

GentleGiant
03-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Is the price right?

miked1958
I think we now need to focus on get Boothe resigned and working on LT deal for Cruz.. I think we may be done in the FA market unless they plan on resigning some of our FAs

Eli TO Shockey
Is the price right?

Can't imagine him getting much more than vet minimum on the open market.

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I think we now need to focus on get Boothe resigned and working on LT deal for Cruz.. I think we may be done in the FA market unless they plan on resigning some of our FAs

yea you're probably right. Urlacher would be a great leader in the middle of the D.

LayLow
03-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Ha! Knew this was coming.

No freaking way. Much rather bring Chase back

TAILGATIN'
03-20-2013, 07:12 PM
I think the Conner signing is it for LBs until the draft, or at least Im hoping so. I think we need a young buck for the future of the organIzation.

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
He turned down near minimum from the Bears.

My feeling is he won't play for less than $3M/year which probably puts him out of our price range.

Otherwise I'd love to grab him up for a year or two.

ImElectric2
03-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Ha! Knew this was coming. No freaking way. Much rather bring Chase backThat's ignorant. I'm not a Chase hater, I actually liked him more or less (called for his head a few times too though lol) but come on. Urlacher a year or 2 from retirement is more of an asset to any team over chase. And that's not just on reputation. That's just a better player, even at this stage of his career. That said, he wouldn't resign with Chi for a low salary and we just signed Connor. No way we make a play unless he begs to come here and even then...

Carter.525
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Is the price right?

Chicago offered him 1yr, 2 mil and he turned it down

egyptian420
03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
I think the Conner signing is it for LBs until the draft, or at least Im hoping so. I think we need a young buck for the future of the organIzation.Agree on both points. I think we're good on LB's from FA

I'd be happy if we got a linebacker and some OL help in the first 2 rounds.

moosedrool
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
No way. 35 years old and much slower than he used to be. He is a shell of his former self. He's a fool for not taking the 2 million the Bears offered him.

PRGiant
03-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Ahh...Here is the Urlacher thread!! lol

RichGiants81
03-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Can't imagine him getting much more than vet minimum on the open market.
He refused a one year 2 mil deal from the bears so obviously he plans on making three or more this year. He's prob looking for two years 7 or 8 mil

TCHOF
03-21-2013, 06:30 AM
He refused a one year 2 mil deal from the bears so obviously he plans on making three or more this year. He's prob looking for two years 7 or 8 mil

He can look for whatever he wants . . . doesn't mean he is going to get it

Redeyejedi
03-21-2013, 06:40 AM
I think the Conner signing is it for LBs until the draft, or at least Im hoping so. I think we need a young buck for the future of the organIzation.r u suggesting the vet min Conner is the young buck for the future of this organization?

embeshAtYa
03-21-2013, 07:47 AM
someone elses washed up slow crap? nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

nhpgiantsfan
03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
I love how every one of these threads now starts with "I don't usually do this but," !! lol

BlueJayC
03-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Pretty sure everyone would love to have Urlacher here but as others have pointed out it all comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$......and the Giants have none left under their cap.

sethm
03-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Giants will not even consider it, that position has been addressed. They need to focus on their FA or fill a void.

JB456
03-21-2013, 09:20 AM
I love how every one of these threads now starts with "I don't usually do this but," !! lol

Haha, you're right but people, including myself, are getting desperate. The Giants are soft as hell as LB and when Rivers is put in a full body cast at the end of their first practice, the thought of defending all of these mobile with our older and slow D makes us want to throw ourselves in front of a steamroller.

I mean, people keep saying the Giants will draft a LB in the early rounds? LMAO, I'll believe it when I see it and won't hold my breath...

GiantPride13
03-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm not one to throw names out and expect us to sign every free agent. However, he cant be much worse than connor at this point in his career. He's a bit slow and a bit long in the tooth but would be a good fit here IMO. If, of course, the price is right.

Id take him cheap but he turned down a 1 year two mil contract from Da Bears. IDK if we have the cap room. However Connor is younger, healthier, and more athletic at this point in their respective careers. Connor has played well when given his opportunities. I have no problem with him fighting for a Starting job and adding Urlacher would do nothing but improve our MLB position

xRick52x
03-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Ha! Knew this was coming.

No freaking way. Much rather bring Chase back

Ever play the game bud? Urlacher's presence on the field (AND leadership) is enough for the Giants organization to be at least somewhat interested. Chase was no leader and he was just an average LB. Some of you guys kill me.

Yeah, let's call him and see if we can pick him up. I shouldn't have to say, "for the right price," just to please some of you kids. That just goes without saying...

xRick52x
03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Id take him cheap but he turned down a 1 year two mil contract from Da Bears. IDK if we have the cap room. However Connor is younger, healthier, and more athletic at this point in their respective careers. Connor has played well when given his opportunities. I have no problem with him fighting for a Starting job and adding Urlacher would do nothing but improve our MLB position

Well said. However, Urlacher said that he wouldn't take 2 million from the Bears....

I don't know. It would just be nice to get an actual leader out there for our defense.

BlueBlitzer
03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Well that is what He said according to Mike and Mike in the AM. We have seen odder things happen. Welker took less jack ( supposedly ) to be Peyton Manning's new " Little Buckeroo " When you can't always get what you want, ( Great Song ) Sometimes a player will go somewhere else just to show-up His former team in another uniform. " Hey Brian, come on over the water's fine. Play for the League Minimum, and actually win a Super Bowl "

darrin99
03-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Ahh...Here is the Urlacher thread!! lol

I'm shocked nobody started a David Akers thread yet.

MattMeyerBud
03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
That's ignorant. I'm not a Chase hater, I actually liked him more or less (called for his head a few times too though lol) but come on. Urlacher a year or 2 from retirement is more of an asset to any team over chase. And that's not just on reputation. That's just a better player, even at this stage of his career. That said, he wouldn't resign with Chi for a low salary and we just signed Connor. No way we make a play unless he begs to come here and even then...

Chase had a better year last year than Urlacher did

pino
03-21-2013, 02:25 PM
I wonder if he will take a $2.53 one year contact with 75 cents guaranteed.

On a serious note, I would love to have him, but we'd have to offer him about 2-3 mil.

joemorrisforprez
03-21-2013, 02:46 PM
If it were just his age it would be a lot easier to make the decision for a short term deal, but he's also coming off a major knee injury.

However, I'm expecting Reese to once again neglect the LB position in the draft, which might change my opinion on Urlacher.

A 70% Urlacher might be better than what the Giants have after the draft.....in his prime his production was off the charts. And, he's coming from a Lovie Smith defense, which is very similar to what Fewell does.

Still, considering the Connor signing, there's no need to make a decision until after the draft.....and then, they could kick his tires. He'll be 2 years removed from the knee injury.

As a sidenote, the Bears didn't handle this well....from what I'm hearing in the papers, there was really no effort made to work a deal, and there was no "mutual" agreement to part ways, according to Urlacher's camp.

tonyt830
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Nothing against Urlacher, but I don't see him ending up in a Giants uni. I don't know what kind of money he is looking for---but apparently 1yr at 2 mil was not it. At 35, Urlacher may have 2 yrs left. I think a team will sign him as a stop gap/band-aid, but I don't think it will be for top dollar. And who knows, Urlacher may want to go to a contender, since he is in the twilight of his career.

gmenfan0488
03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
we probably wouldn't get him for a price we'd like

Alive741
03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
I'd rather see Blackburn back as well.. Don't understand all the hate here for him..guy has heart.

jomo
03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
I heard a one of the announcers on Sirius NFL last night introduce Urlacher as the greatest linebacker in Bears history..............lol. Butkus, HELLO!
Urlacher is shot and not worth much to us.

robbyi3hhh
03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Think we need to bring back Chase and look maybe 2nd 3rd round for our MLB! Unless Urlacher is cool with 3mil a year....then we would be dumb not too....g.g.g.g.gmen!!!

Cloud57
03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I'd rather see Blackburn back as well.. Don't understand all the hate here for him..guy has heart.I don't think anyone hates him, if it wasn't for his interception we could have lost the SB. Blackburn however is a mediocre MLB and we need a fast athletic MLB who can help stop the run, something that we have been weak at. I think Blackburn would be a great backup if he stays.

Rat_bastich
03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I heard a one of the announcers on Sirius NFL last night introduce Urlacher as the greatest linebacker in Bears history..............lol. Butkus, HELLO!

Not to mention Singletary. He definitely missed a few.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 11:43 PM
I'd take him at 1 or 2 years for the right price.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 11:45 PM
Urlacher's not even close to being the best LB in Bears history, and I'm not even knocking him. Maybe top 4 or 5, but certainly not their best.

jomo
03-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Not to mention Singletary. He definitely missed a few.Agreed, Urlacher was certainly a very good linebacker for a long time but this is just an example of why no one should take most in the media seriously. They love to over use superlatives.

Rat_bastich
03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Agreed, Urlacher was certainly a very good linebacker for a long time but this is just an example of why no one should take most in the media seriously. They love to over use superlatives.

Now if he said "one of the" instead of "the" then I would agree. I think alot of times talking heads are either too young to remember the real greats or they say things that are crazy to relate to younger audiences. But, with things like the Butkus Award out there.......I don't know just makes no sense. I mean even Wilber Marshall.

paulj
03-22-2013, 07:43 AM

I thought about him too. He is good against the run and can play 1st and 2nd down. He lost a step and cannot cover as well in pass protection.
However, we already have Connor as a Run Stopping MLB. So I doubt they would go after him.
Besides, we need to focus on boothe and Cruz.

rebelfan1966
03-22-2013, 08:48 AM
His age concerns me....

nygpolishpunk
03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Urlacher went on record saying he'd take $2M from other teams or "whatever else was available, maybe nobody wants me"

Not saying we should get him, but his leadership could be beneficial and he could mentor a rookie if we pick.... say Ogletree

embeshAtYa
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
STOPIT!!!!!!