PDA

View Full Version : Roger Godell is the worse thing ever to happen to the NFL

TroyArcher
03-20-2013, 07:46 PM
He is allowing the game to degenerate into a wussified version of what it used to be.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 07:48 PM
He is allowing the game to degenerate into a wussified version of what it used to be.

You realize 31 owners voted for this rule, right?

AGiantDynasty
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
EVERYONE WATCH OUT!! The sky is falling!!!

YATittle1962
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM

it's not only this ridiculously stupid rule Roa ...it's everything he has done since obtaining the position

worse commissioner at least in my memory with out a doubt ...and my memory goes back to the early days of Rozelle

next our linemen won't be in 3 pt stances , you will get fined for passing gas in the huddle , and the QB will be wearing flags

I miss the days when men played football

broke bones in their face and stayed in the game , bled from the mouth and there was no such thing as turf toe

Dwinsballgames
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Grab your torches & pitchforks!!!

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:01 PM
it's not only this ridiculously stupid rule....it's everything he has done since obtaining the position

worse commissioner at least in my memory with out a doubt ...and my memory goes back to the early days of Rozelle

next our linemen won't be in 3 pt stances and the QB will be wearing flags

I understand, but everything is driven by economics and these impending lawsuits from hundreds/thousands of former players, should they be successful, could bring the NFL to its knees. In the meantime, they have to show some good faith effort to reduce head injuries. It's easy to say "sign waivers" or "the players know what they are getting into" but that doesn't prevent them from suing.

Drez
03-20-2013, 08:03 PM
You realize 31 owners voted for this rule, right?And to a large degree these rules get made up in the Rules and Competition Committee meetings which are comprised of the owners.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:06 PM
And to a large degree these rules get made up in the Rules and Competition Committee meetings which are comprised of the owners.

We won't know the full impact until the season starts.

Drez
03-20-2013, 08:09 PM
We won't know the full impact until the season starts.I'm definitely not a fan of the rule. The one thing I would like, though, is to have these "safety" rules be automatically reviewed by the booth. The refs are told to throw the flag when in doubt. At least if we had booth reviews checking them, we'd have few crap calls that could potentially cost a team a game.

uther99
03-20-2013, 08:10 PM
It's the lawsuits by the players against the NFL that are driving these rules. The NFL has to take player safety seriously and show they are taking steps to improve safety, as they learn more. The players created this with the lawsuits. Godell is trying to save the league

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
NFL = Nancy Football League

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM

The same geniuses that brought you the Tuck Rule .... and then over turned a decade later?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm definitely not a fan of the rule. The one thing I would like, though, is to have these "safety" rules be automatically reviewed by the booth. The refs are told to throw the flag when in doubt. At least if we had booth reviews checking them, we'd have few crap calls that could potentially cost a team a game.

Can you imagine the length of game though if we start reviewing everything?? I just can't take more commercials.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:13 PM
The same geniuses that brought you the Tuck Rule .... and then over turned a decade later?

Give them credit for reversing it

BigBlueAllDay
03-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I understand, but everything is driven by economics and these impending lawsuits from hundreds/thousands of former players, should they be successful, could bring the NFL to its knees. In the meantime, they have to show some good faith effort to reduce head injuries. It's easy to say "sign waivers" or "the players know what they are getting into" but that doesn't prevent them from suing.

+1, Roger Goodell is ultimately trying to protect the NFL as a whole. If he was truly overly obsessed with player safety, why would he bother demanding the Pro Bowl players to play with some intensity? Gotta uphold those ratings...

bELIeve_in_Giants
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Did you hear Eli's reaction to the rule on Mike and Mike today? "I'm going to have to change my style of running".....it got a big laugh.

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Or how about them discussing eliminating kickoffs?

There needs to be a limit.

Redeyejedi
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
it's not only this ridiculously stupid rule Roa ...it's everything he has done since obtaining the position

next our linemen won't be in 3 pt stances , you will get fined for passing gas in the huddle , and the QB will be wearing flags

broke bones in their face and stayed in the game , bled from the mouth and there was no such thing as turf toeIts not his fault the former players are suing the NFL in a class action lawsuit. They have no choice to alter the game.

Flip Empty
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
He's doing a good job, actually. He's making positive steps to ensure the league has a long, profitable future.

The owners hired him to look after their investment, and that's what he's doing.

Redeyejedi
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Can you imagine the length of game though if we start reviewing everything?? I just can't take more commercials.College Football can handle reviewing every play

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
College Football can handle reviewing every play

That's where all of those academics are who can handle the constant interruptions :rolleyes:

Redeyejedi
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
That's where all of those academics are who can handle the constant interruptions :rolleyes:They dont review penalties though.

Sundown
03-20-2013, 08:24 PM

broke bones in their face and stayed in the game , bled from the mouth and there was no such thing as turf toe

It goes deeper than that, we live in a society where kids get "participation" trophies!? Some schools still debate if sex Ed should be discussed in schools, the country as a whole are a bunch of ******* and the NFL is just going along w it all. Damn shame.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:25 PM
They dont review penalties though.

Isn't that what we're talking about? lol

Redeyejedi
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Isn't that what we're talking about? lol Yeah I didnt really read the post till after I just saw review every play. U cant review penalties. Although I wish PI could be

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah I didnt really read the post till after I just saw review every play.

No fair confusing me, it doesn't take much for me to get lost

LayLow
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Grab your torches & pitchforks!!!632

NWGiant
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I understand the intent of the rule is player safety just like the helmet to helmet on receivers (which is also ridiculous). This will cause more penalties, delays in the game and I can see a game or two lost because of it. It will be interesting to see how the rule will be officiated. Maybe they should just go back to teaching the fundamentals for both offense and defense: NEVER LOWER YOUR HEAD! When tackling your face mask should be in your oponents numbers and wrap up!

TheBookOfEli
03-21-2013, 02:11 AM

They have to protect their investments.

giantsfam04
03-21-2013, 05:58 AM
jon mara also played a big part in this. roger goddell works for the owners not the players or the fans.

giantsfam04
03-21-2013, 05:59 AM
NFL = Nancy Football League

I liked to see you get out there and play a few downs and still see if you feel that way.

njsean
03-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Yeah, those real men playing real football are now filing real lawsuits.

Whatever, I'll still watch on Sundays.

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Exactly. It's all good reminiscing about the past, but it's that past which is now impacting on the present.

These changes are less about player safety than they are asset safety. It's the league, and subsequently the owners' money that's in jeopardy. Keeping the league as it was just wouldn't be sustainable.

Goodell is the face of the owners, he's just doing his job.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Yes I do, so he is the commissioner and has zero impact on decisions made? Then why is he getting paid? By the way this is not the only reason I think he has done a horrible job. The NFL is heading in the wrong direction, much of the blame I place on Godell.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Grab your torches & pitchforks!!!

Aren't you the witty one. How do you think LT would view the current state of NFL? You seem to be a fan of his.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
EVERYONE WATCH OUT!! The sky is falling!!!

Another witty comment from a real genius.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
He's doing a good job, actually. He's making positive steps to ensure the league has a long, profitable future.

The owners hired him to look after their investment, and that's what he's doing.

I guess we will see, can two hand touch on the QB be far behind.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I liked to see you get out there and play a few downs and still see if you feel that way.

So only people who played in the NFL can comment? It would be a very quiet site.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 12:53 PM

Will you watch when it is two had touch on the QB?

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I guess we will see, can two hand touch on the QB be far behind.
I don't think so. They won't degrade the product to the extent that it no longer resembles the sport it bases itself on. They'll need to find a balance somewhere in between.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I think that Goodell's an excellent commissioner.

giantyankee1976
03-21-2013, 11:35 PM
to a degree, I kind of concur. On the one hand he's been consistent in his disciplinarian manner of running the business. But some of his calls have been questionable. To the point, Bounty Gate.

What was basically a witch hunt amounted to what exactly?

On the one hand, improving the health and welfare of a player (currently) so that they may have a better future is well-intentioned and should be recognized as a good thing.

But by that same token, you wonder where some of the reasoning comes from and its basis at other times.

I don't hate Roger but I can't say I am enamored by him either.

Redeyejedi
03-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Lawyers are destroying the NFL its not Goodell.

Drez
03-22-2013, 07:29 AM

broke bones in their face and stayed in the game , bled from the mouth and there was no such thing as turf toeAnd unfortunately it's the fact that those same players are suing the league which forms the impetus for these rules changes.

Drez
03-22-2013, 07:31 AM
To the point, Bounty Gate.

What was basically a witch hunt amounted to what exactly?

Well, now in any kind of player safety trial he can point to the fact that the players have a history of intentionally injuring each other and he can further point to the harsh penalties that as a league it's something that they don't tolerate.

giantyankee1976
03-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Well, now in any kind of player safety trial he can point to the fact that the players have a history of intentionally injuring each other and he can further point to the harsh penalties that as a league it's something that they don't tolerate.

point taken, but didn't you feel as though that he/ the League vigorously and somewhat crazily went after the Saints organization?

If they had subpoena a number of other clubs, I would have felt like there was a kind of balance...

njsean
03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Will you watch when it is two had touch on the QB?

Most likely not. Has that ruled been passed?

I like to react to things that are presently a reality. I don't bother worrying about what rules might happen in order to get worked up.

The game will be enjoyable until it isn't. Right now, I still suspect it is.

TroyArcher
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Most likely not. Has that ruled been passed?

I like to react to things that are presently a reality. I don't bother worrying about what rules might happen in order to get worked up.

The game will be enjoyable until it isn't. Right now, I still suspect it is.

Agreed, but it is heading in the wrong direction.

RoanokeFan
03-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Lawyers are destroying the NFL its not Goodell.

Lawyers are destroying society

RoanokeFan
03-23-2013, 06:59 AM
point taken, but didn't you feel as though that he/ the League vigorously and somewhat crazily went after the Saints organization?

If they had subpoena a number of other clubs, I would have felt like there was a kind of balance...

Given the current number of lawsuits related to former player injuries, how would the NFL turning a blind eye to "Bountygate" play out in a court room? Would it have benefited the plaintiffs (players) or the defendants (NFL)?

giantyankee1976
03-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Given the current number of lawsuits related to former player injuries, how would the NFL turning a blind eye to "Bountygate" play out in a court room? Would it have benefited the plaintiffs (players) or the defendants (NFL)?

clearly the players as the argument would have been the League doesn't have our safety at heart, which would wreak havoc with the "leading with the crown" rule and "defenseless receiver" etc.

All I'm saying is, we believe that the Saints aren't the only Team to be suspected of putting out "bounties," but they were seemingly made a scape-goat in the events that ensued. If the League would have say, also implicated the Titans or whoever else, then maybe the focus would have not been so heavy on the likes of the Saints Organization (and Payton, Vilma or Fujita....screw Gregg Williams though, he always struck me as a pompous dip-****).