PDA

View Full Version : Dan Connor: Run Stopper

Breezely
03-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Interesting article/blog, that states that Dan Connor should be an upgrade at the middle linebacker position. The article/ blog compared Dan Connor to Jonathan Goff.
http://gmenhq.com/2013/03/20/lb-dan-connor-presents-big-upgrade-for-giants-defense/

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Interesting article/blog, that states that Dan Connor should be an upgrade at the middle linebacker position. The article/ blog compared Dan Connor to Jonathan Goff.
http://gmenhq.com/2013/03/20/lb-dan-connor-presents-big-upgrade-for-giants-defense/

he can't be any worse than blackburn, he was an absolute turn style last season.

par404
03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
he can't be any worse than blackburn, he was an absolute turn style last season.,

I saw him play for three years at Carolina. If healthy, he has good mobility and a solid tackler, could be an asset. Not sure he is durable enough to be any every down LB. That is why Carolina drafted Luke Kuechly and Conners opt for Dallas.

tcseacliff
03-20-2013, 11:08 PM

he looks good here!

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRiNFkHOPwg video

Giants5699
03-20-2013, 11:20 PM
He's going to have a much easier time now that running backs can't lower their heads.

BigJ
03-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Well there's our new starting middle line backer, he's better then what we had with blackburn and even if the giants drafted a stud line backer in the first round they wouldn't play him anyway no matter how good he is so this guy already had the job

Breezely
03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Looking at their current linebackers, I wouldn't be surprise if the Giants load up at the position because some of these guys seem injury prone. They ran into this problem last year to an extent. Linebacker corps and secondary was very thin because of injuries.

TCHOF
03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
He's going to have a much easier time now that running backs can't lower their heads.
No

RagTime Blue
03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Danny Clark, Keith Bullock, Keith Rivers, Dan Connor. Let's keep expectations real is all I'm saying.

fansince69
03-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Danny Clark, Keith Bullock, Keith Rivers, Dan Connor. Let's keep expectations real is all I'm saying.I had forgotten about Clark.....Clark and Bullock were at the end of their careers when they got here....Rivers and Connors are in their prime and perhaps just need a new start...if they can stay on the field

pino
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
I'm not going to get too excited about Conner. He's not too impressive really. I'm hoping a new start on a different team will bring out more.

GameTime
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
he can't be any worse than blackburn, he was an absolute turn style last season.
if CB was so bad why was he the starter.....???

pino
03-21-2013, 02:29 PM
if CB was so bad why was he the starter.....???

Because he had experience over the competition, and the jury is still out on the competition. Our LB's need to step it up.

GameTime
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Because he had experience over the competition, and the jury is still out on the competition. Our LB's need to step it up.
my point was to the member who posted what I responded to was if CB was so bad that anything is better then why was he playing in the first place.
I know why Chase was the starter......

joemorrisforprez
03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Danny Clark, Keith Bullock, Keith Rivers, Dan Connor. Let's keep expectations real is all I'm saying.

So true. Linebacker is not Reese's strong suit.

Giants linebackers have been like Spinal Tap Drummers.

I Bleed Blue 56
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Danny Clark, Keith Bullock, Keith Rivers, Dan Connor. Let's keep expectations real is all I'm saying. Oh lord my goodness the Giants haveng had a good mlb since the Pierce pick up. They really need to draft one if not the first the second round at least.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm not excited by him, but I don't hate the signing either. Especially for 1 year. If the article compares him to Goff, then that's bad IMO. Goff stunk.

Gmen0711
03-21-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm not excited by him, but I don't hate the signing either. Especially for 1 year. If the article compares him to Goff, then that's bad IMO. Goff stunk. When did goff stink? He was the best linebacker the giants had since pierce in his prime

BlessedinBlue22
03-21-2013, 11:57 PM
I actually felt Michael Barrow was one our better LB's almost forgetten, after Pierce came in. He was a tackling machine. Jessie Armstead and Co.

BlessedinBlue22
03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Anybody who thought Goff stunk, i suggest you watch his highlights..The first two plays, the way he shot through the gaps, he was very good, stout in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69d2cqTrM7w

Breezely
03-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Goff was a tackling machine!!!!!!! check the stats but I remember as a witness. Goff was a true run stopper!

jomo
03-22-2013, 01:14 AM
http://gmenhq.com/2013/03/20/lb-dan-connor-presents-big-upgrade-for-giants-defense/ Oh no, NOT JONATHAN GOFF!!

giantsfan420
03-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Anybody who thought Goff stunk, i suggest you watch his highlights..The first two plays, the way he shot through the gaps, he was very good, stout in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69d2cqTrM7wthose first 2 plays, and almost every play in that clip. Goff is shooting a gap and playing downhill going untouched by an OL. Not to discredit him but a guy like ogeltree, whom i am staunchly opposed to picking at 19, prob makes each 1 of those plays easily and prob causes more big plays. that was the 1 thing i disliked about goff, whom otherwise i actually felt was a fine MLB and actually possessed the ability to play coverage (imo he was improving vastly each year in that regard), he never made big time plays. rarely ever an int or ff, esp when it was direly needed although he was great at getting TFLs...thats something we've missed from the MLB going back before Pierce even...Pierce is revered for the most part here for nothing else bc he was consistent. and for some reason, prob bc we're tired of "just consistent", CB is killed bc of it when both AP and CB are virtually the same exact type of MLB

BigJ
03-22-2013, 02:25 AM
I truely hate that Reese takes no pride in the line backer position on the Giants of all teams, and even when he he does draft. He never drafts high he always waits and drafts busts its getting ridicules that he makes no effort to make the position better

Captain Chaos
03-22-2013, 04:59 AM
Goff was actually starting to grow on me before he got hurt. We do need to seriously get someone in the middle that is more like Pierce in his hey day!

Redeyejedi
03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
I truely hate that Reese takes no pride in the line backer position on the Giants of all teams, and even when he he does draft. He never drafts high he always waits and drafts busts its getting ridicules that he makes no effort to make the position betterWhy would he use high picks on a position that plays less and less snaps every year in the NFL. U realize most teams base is the Nickel now

giantsfam04
03-22-2013, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=Redeyejedi;719652]Why would he use high picks on a position that plays less and less snaps every year in the NFL. U realize most teams base is the Nickel now[/QUOT

Finally someone who understands the lack of value a MLB has in todays NFL. This isn't the NFL of the 80 and this isn't the Giants of the 80, MLB is not a premium position that you spend a high draft pick on.

Gmen0711
03-22-2013, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Redeyejedi;719652]Why would he use high picks on a position that plays less and less snaps every year in the NFL. U realize most teams base is the Nickel now[/QUOTFinally someone who understands the lack of value a MLB has in todays NFL. This isn't the NFL of the 80 and this isn't the Giants of the 80, MLB is not a premium position that you spend a high draft pick on.Yea def not important especially for a team that ranked 25th against the run in 2012

GeoGoGo
03-22-2013, 02:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69d2cqTrM7w

I always liked Goff. I never understood why no effort was made to keep him.

moosedrool
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
my point was to the member who posted what I responded to was if CB was so bad that anything is better then why was he playing in the first place.
I know why Chase was the starter......

I also know why he was cut and not resigned until mid season in 2011

Breezely
03-22-2013, 06:57 PM
This was posted on Giants.com about 5 hours ago. Same blog talks about how the secondary has improved.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Fact-or-Fiction-Improved-secondary-in-2013/8d4abecc-6e2f-4872-902a-dc32dbb631fe
Dan Connorhttp://boards.giants.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://boards.giants.com/team/roster/dan-connor/ade6c9e2-f2b5-49aa-a826-bdb0e664a517/) will start at least four games at middle linebacker for the Giants in 2013.

MICHAEL EISEN: Fact - Barring an upset, Connor will be the Giants’ regular starter at middle linebacker. There will be some games in which the Giants will open with a sub defense, but barring injury, he should have four starts by early October.

JOHN SCHMEELK: Fact - Unless they Giants draft a starting middle linebacker early, he will more than likely be the starter in their base 4-3 defense. He is reliable, a young veteran and very good against the run.

DAN SALOMONE: Fact - He’s the prototypical middle linebacker in the 4-3. He has the pedigree and can be a tackling machine if he can seize that role with New York. He also has five years of NFL experience, which will go a long way in helping his cause. I like the pickup and think he will contribute immediately.

BigJ
03-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Why would he use high picks on a position that plays less and less snaps every year in the NFL. U realize most teams base is the Nickel now idk cause we are terrible against the run? Its ok to use picks on guys like Travise Bekum, Marvin Austin, Ramses Barden, Jerrigan?? Im not saying first round but there is so many second and 3rd round picks out ther starting at lb for their team. Some pro bowlers and some all pro

BigJ
03-22-2013, 07:54 PM
At least he will help us against the run. Thats what im happy about

Redeyejedi
03-23-2013, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=giantsfam04;719672]Yea def not important especially for a team that ranked 25th against the run in 2012 Again with just the LB's play the run. Plus the Giants were bad against the pass as well. Its not like they were 10th against the pass and 25th against the run in fact they were worse against the pass.

hugehomer
03-23-2013, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=Redeyejedi;719652]Why would he use high picks on a position that plays less and less snaps every year in the NFL. U realize most teams base is the Nickel now[/QUOT

Finally someone who understands the lack of value a MLB has in todays NFL. This isn't the NFL of the 80 and this isn't the Giants of the 80, MLB is not a premium position that you spend a high draft pick on.

Real good defenses the last few years had Urlacher,Lewis,Dansby,couldnt disagree more.

nygon3
03-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Goff couldnt defend the pass... Lets hope he's as good if not better against the run.. but can be more than a cone on passin situations..

Breezely
03-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Goff couldnt defend the pass... Lets hope he's as good if not better against the run.. but can be more than a cone on passin situations..

From what I hear, he is not that good at covering the pass.

JesseJames
03-23-2013, 05:04 PM
with the new read offense that teams will be playing with speedy QBs who can run the ball too it could be that big runstuffing LBers may be a thing of the past giving way to lighter speedier LBers who can cover and tackle too....

jomo
03-23-2013, 05:15 PM
with the new read offense that teams will be playing with speedy QBs who can run the ball too it could be that big runstuffing LBers may be a thing of the past giving way to lighter speedier LBers who can cover and tackle too....Thoughtful........

jomo
03-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Goff couldnt defend the pass... Lets hope he's as good if not better against the run.. but can be more than a cone on passin situations..Goff was capable of blowing people up when he guessed right on where the RB was heading. Many times he totally misread the play and ran himself into the wrong hole. He was part of that Goff, Sintim, Jones etc run where JR proved he is a great GM but doesn't know what a great LB looks like coming out of college.

JesseJames
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Goff was capable of blowing people up when he guessed right on where the RB was heading. Many times he totally misread the play and ran himself into the wrong hole. He was part of that Goff, Sintim, Jones etc run where JR proved he is a great GM but doesn't know what a great LB looks like coming out of college. its beginning to look like nobody on the Giants scouting staff knows what a good LBer looks like