PDA

View Full Version : What do you think was the greatest Giants play of all time?

Broadway Blue
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
http://www.nfl.com/bracketology?module=HP11_content_stream

Broadway Blue
03-21-2013, 12:49 PM
I will say the David Tyree catch was the best catch and the greatest play I ever seen

BROADWAYSTORM
03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
There are many I'm a fan of Sehorn's Int and Bavaro's catch and Shockey trucking Gibson and so many of LT's and so on. But undoubtedly due to the game, the time of the game, the stakes and the opponent it happened against and the significance of what it did for Eli the helmet catch is the greatest play in NY Giants history and its not even close.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal.

TheAnalyst
03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Eli to Tyree easily. I also really love the Cruz TD vs the Eagles where he made like 5 eagles miss and collide into each other.

Rudyy
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Cruz' 99 yard touchdown against the Jets. That was absolutely beautiful.

Carter.525
03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Cruz' 99 yard touchdown against the Jets. That was absolutely beautiful.

I was at the stadium for that one..:D

wayoutwest
03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
LT smashing Thiesman, Romo getting clobbered by Boley were great but the helmet catch was beyond special.

Rudyy
03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
I was at the stadium for that one..:DLucky...

NJAquaman
03-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I will say the David Tyree catch was the best catch and the greatest play I ever seen

I can't argue with that!

fansince69
03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal.This is one of my all time favorites....I also love the catch in superbowl 21 where the ball bounced off Bavaro's hands Into McConkey...Tyree's catch was huge....too many to really list

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
This is one of my all time favorites....I also love the catch in superbowl 21 where the ball bounced off Bavaro's hands Into McConkey...Tyree's catch was huge....too many to really list

How do you pick "one"?

primetime
03-21-2013, 01:32 PM
I agree with the Tyree catch, the magnitude of the game and the kind of catch separates it from all the other great plays.
Another play that should get some consideration is Erik Howard striping Roger Craig of the ball and LT recovering it in the air in the NFC Championship game. If that play doesn't happen, the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl.

egyptian420
03-21-2013, 01:35 PM
My avatar

Rudyy
03-21-2013, 01:48 PM
David Tyree has to be the greatest though..

kissjrj
03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Tyree's catch, easily.

jimsgints
03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I will say the David Tyree catch was the best catch and the greatest play I ever seen I'm going along with this one. Awesome!

JB456
03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
My avatar

Thats was the greatest play I have ever seen. After that play, my brother said the Giants were destined to win the Superbowl. I just nodded in agreement and didn't even think there was a possiblility of them losing the game.

On a side note, Joe Buck should have been forced to retire after the game because that was the most pathetic play calling I have ever heard. It sounded like he was a Patriots fan and the play took the wind out of his sail. He was so exited at the prospect of Eli getting sacked that when he avoided it, his exitment fell off a cliff and was completely monotone.

gmen46
03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
How do you pick "one"?

That's the problem. It's easier to choose a "favorite" child than to choose my favorite Giants play! :o

I would say, though, as has been pointed out in this thread already, the precise situation and magnitude of the moment dictates to me that the Tyree catch has to be considered the "best" play in Giants history, and arguably the best play in NFL history because of the situation (a claim made by the late, great Steve Sobol by the way--and he, more than most, has seen a lot of great NFL plays).

At the same time, I still have a special place in my heart for the Bavaro catch vs Niners, and the 4th and 17 vs Vikes you alluded to. That play, above all plays that year, allowed me to actually believe we had a real chance to win it all that year. And, after so many years of discouraging ineptitude, and after the humiliating heartbreak of the post season game in 85, that was a huge leap of faith to me.

pino
03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Bowl XXV - we were down 12-10 in the 3rd quarter. At one point it was 3rd and 13, Hostetler passes to Ingram about 7 yards short, but Ingram shakes about 5 defenders to get the first down. We ate up about 9-10 minutes on that drive and scored a touchdown. It was the defining moment in that game that really turned it around and put the pressure on Buffalo. The Bills eventually got the lead back, but we were able to get another 3 points and you know the rest (WIDE RIGHT!!)

Also a shout out to the Roger Craig fumble. Also in 1991, NFC Championship game. The Niners had a slim lead in the 4th quarter. We knew they were going to eat clock with Craig, and they were almost in FG range. Well, he got swallowed up. Erik Howard pops the ball out while falling on his back and LT picks it up. We kick a FG and suddenly the Giants are in the Super Bowl.

Toadofsteel
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Tyree's catch definitely is up there as one of the greatest plays in the history of the NFL. JPP's field goal block is my personal favorite though... Just like the previous game vs the packers, Eli had posted a tremendous comeback to put the Giants ahead, and then the opposing team was driving for a FG. Except this time JPP was there to block it and reverse a 4-game losing streak, and in the end saved the season.

Roosevelt
03-21-2013, 02:14 PM
So many great memories.

Gary Reason's "Hit" ranks up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSmLq9J4yc

BigBlue1971
03-21-2013, 02:14 PM
I agree with the Tyree catch, the magnitude of the game and the kind of catch separates it from all the other great plays.
Another play that should get some consideration is Erik Howard striping Roger Craig of the ball and LT recovering it in the air in the NFC Championship game. If that play doesn't happen, the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl.

this is the play! directly responsible for us going to that superbowl.

Redeyejedi
03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal. How about the George Martin Interception return for a TD against the Broncos and he kept trying to give the ball to LT but he wouldnt take it from him.It took him like 20 minutes to run it back

Ruttiger711
03-21-2013, 02:19 PM
I was at the stadium for that one..:D

Same here :D - my Jets fan friend season ticket holder asked me in August if I wanted to go since he knew there was no way in hell his wife would go to an Xmas eve game.

Tyree play... hated to be presumptuous but it was so hard not to think we HAD to win that game after a play like that.

RonJon
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
How bout Hakeem Nicks's Hail Mary TD catch at the end of the first half in GB in the Divisional PLayoff in 2011. That play seemingly broke the Packers spirit in that game and Giants dominaited the 2nd half

darrin99
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd vote for Tyree as the "greatest" based on the stage and circumstances. I was lucky enough to be at that SB, and didn't appreciate how great it was when it happened live without the endless replays and commentary.

My most "memorable plays" are a little different. Seeing Burress catch the winning SB TD in the end zone where I was sitting will probably never be topped (for me), and something I doubt I'll ever experience again.
Scott Norwood "wide left" will never be forgotten, nor will Tynes kicking a frozen football 47 yds to win the NFC Championship.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
That's the problem. It's easier to choose a "favorite" child than to choose my favorite Giants play! :o

I would say, though, as has been pointed out in this thread already, the precise situation and magnitude of the moment dictates to me that the Tyree catch has to be considered the "best" play in Giants history, and arguably the best play in NFL history because of the situation (a claim made by the late, great Steve Sobol by the way--and he, more than most, has seen a lot of great NFL plays).

At the same time, I still have a special place in my heart for the Bavaro catch vs Niners, and the 4th and 17 vs Vikes you alluded to. That play, above all plays that year, allowed me to actually believe we had a real chance to win it all that year. And, after so many years of discouraging ineptitude, and after the humiliating heartbreak of the post season game in 85, that was a huge leap of faith to me.

That 4th & 17 wasn't as visually exciting as the Eli escape and the helmet catch, but, for me, it was the execution. Simms was about to get hammered when he let that ball fly and Johnson, like Tyree, was not the most reliable of receivers. It's probably more because I was there when it happened.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 02:24 PM
There have been a lot of great plays in Giants history. The helmet catch, Plaxico's TD, the goal line stand at Washington, Manningham's catch in SB 46, Bavaro carrying 3 49'rs on his back. And lets not forget Mark Ingram in SB 25.

But to me, nothing compares to 4th and 17 against the Vikings in 1986. Its the play that turned the Giants from a good team to an all time great team.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
How about the George Martin Interception return for a TD against the Broncos and he kept trying to give the ball to LT but he wouldnt take it from him.It took him like 20 minutes to run it back

I forgot that one, it was so slow motion like

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
There have been a lot of great plays in Giants history. The helmet catch, Plaxico's TD, the goal line stand at Washington, Manningham's catch in SB 46, Bavaro carrying 3 49'rs on his back. And lets not forget Mark Ingram in SB 25.

But to me, nothing compares to 4th and 17 against the Vikings in 1986. Its the play that turned the Giants from a good team to an all time great team.

The "we have arrived" play

Ruttiger711
03-21-2013, 02:29 PM

Every time I see that replay, I swear he's not going get the 1st :)

darrin99
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Every time I see that replay, I swear he's not going get the 1st :)

That was probably the greatest "Effort Play" of all time.

giantsfan420
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
im gonna mention the sb 46 pass to MM. it wasnt as dramatic a play, and didnt have any "magic" or "luck" to it, which in my book, makes the play that much better. the eli to tyree play is probably the greatest play in nfl history. i too recall sabol making that claim. i believe that play is still recalled as the greatest sb play in sb history, which can be construed as a bit more objective than trying to define a greatest play of "all time"...but that pass to MM in sb 46 is probably the greatest throw I've seen a QB possibly make. the ball literally gained velocity through its course lol. it fit inside a window no bigger than the football itself...itd almost be like throwing a tennis ball into those tennis ball cans/containers that the ball fits so snug/tightly...and then the catch, with 2 defenders and the sideline, during a SB in the clutch...that play prob wont get the recognition it deserves imo, but it should be up there in the rankings...at that time, everyone was remarking how eerily similar that play was in terms of game drama/big time individual effort to the tyree play in fact...

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
So many great memories.

DA UM!

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 02:44 PM
im gonna mention the sb 46 pass to MM. it wasnt as dramatic a play, and didnt have any "magic" or "luck" to it, which in my book, makes the play that much better. the eli to tyree play is probably the greatest play in nfl history. i too recall sabol making that claim. i believe that play is still recalled as the greatest sb play in sb history, which can be construed as a bit more objective than trying to define a greatest play of "all time"...but that pass to MM in sb 46 is probably the greatest throw I've seen a QB possibly make. the ball literally gained velocity through its course lol. it fit inside a window no bigger than the football itself...itd almost be like throwing a tennis ball into those tennis ball cans/containers that the ball fits so snug/tightly...and then the catch, with 2 defenders and the sideline, during a SB in the clutch...that play prob wont get the recognition it deserves imo, but it should be up there in the rankings...at that time, everyone was remarking how eerily similar that play was in terms of game drama/big time individual effort to the tyree play in fact...

It was a memorable play but it was a tad "fluky" As you said there was a lot of luck in that play.
4th and 17 was just an example of great football.

joemorrisforprez
03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Madison Hedge**** swing pass.

Dorothy
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Thats was the greatest play I have ever seen. After that play, my brother said the Giants were destined to win the Superbowl. I just nodded in agreement and didn't even think there was a possiblility of them losing the game.

On a side note, Joe Buck should have been forced to retire after the game because that was the most pathetic play calling I have ever heard. It sounded like he was a Patriots fan and the play took the wind out of his sail. He was so exited at the prospect of Eli getting sacked that when he avoided it, his exitment fell off a cliff and was completely monotone.

It still cracks me up to hear the announcer, which ever idiot said it, to a wide open David Tyree. As I watch that play he has a Patriot all over him.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
It still cracks me up to hear the announcer, which ever idiot said it, to a wide open David Tyree. As I watch that play he has a Patriot all over him.

...and about 3 others in the area. ;)

egyptian420
03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

I'll never forget seeing Eli almost get sacked and I already got up and was waiting for the play to end so I could go upstairs and not even watch the rest of the SB. I thought it was over right then.....I won't go into detail about how much I celebrated when Tyree made the catch but let's just say I had to pay my buddy money for repairs to his house.

On a side note, Joe Buck should've gotten shot after that play. An investigation should be made to see how much $ he had on the Pats for that game.

GiantRoc
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
So many great memories.

I loved that clip. Still remember that play too. Great hit. Probably a 15 yrd penalty today. lol

Tyree's catch still, is tough to top.

tcseacliff
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
THIS=! http://i.imgur.com/3dgEFdj.png

amukamerica
03-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Ingram on third and 8.

jax5338
03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Hynoski's first career TD last year

pino
03-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Ingram on third and 8.

It was actually 3rd and 13. He caught it with about 8 yards to go though! All heart. It's a shame he got into trouble after football.

Ruttiger711
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Ingram on third and 8.

Bravo on your screen name

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Eli to Tyree which led to Plaxico TD to win Super Bowl 42. With everything on the line against a team chasing perfection with less than 2 minutes left, the enormity of the moment and the improbability of the play made it so freaking amazing! It was off the charts! It was doubly satisfying because not only did we win but we ruined a perfect season. Talk about being underdog and delivering a major upset.

keyofgmen
03-21-2013, 06:45 PM
One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal.

That was one of plays of that season that actually had us long suffering fans feel that it might actually be true..That we might actually have a team good enough to believe in the impossible. That is why it is one of my favorites. It was like.."did you just see what Simms did!??"

egyptian420
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Eli to Tyree which led to Plaxico TD to win Super Bowl 42. With everything on the line against a team chasing perfection with less than 2 minutes left, the enormity of the moment and the improbability of the play made it so freaking amazing! It was off the charts! It was doubly satisfying because not only did we win but we ruined a perfect season. Talk about being underdog and delivering a major upset.+1....And then 4 years later we do it again

bigjeep
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM

I have been a fan from the 50's and I agree with you. None better or more Important.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 07:35 PM
That was one of plays of that season that actually had us long suffering fans feel that it might actually be true..That we might actually have a team good enough to believe in the impossible. That is why it is one of my favorites. It was like.."did you just see what Simms did!??"
And the hush that came over the Metrodome was awesome. And that crowd was crazy all game long.

bigjeep
03-21-2013, 07:36 PM

I remember that. At the time, I didn't think Simms had it in him! LOL! But the David Tyree catch and Eli's escape tops them all.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
I remember that. At the time, I didn't think Simms had it in him! LOL! But the David Tyree catch and Eli's escape tops them all.
Yeah but there was a luck factor in that. It was a great escape but the pass (by Eli's description in America's Game) hung in the air forever. It was actually a blown play by Harrison. It was definitely a dramatic and memorable play, but it was a little "fluky". Plus, it didn't launch the franchise into a new era like the 4th and 17 play. I would actually rate Eli to Manningham higher than the Tyree play because it was a truly great football play made by both guys. Great throw and great catch. That's why the Simms/Johnson play was so great. it was just a great football play.
I would also rate Ingram's play higher as well for the same reason. Just pure grit by one player.

And you may not be shocked to hear that I knew Phil had it in him....ever since he threw his first pass against the Saints in 1979.

nhpgiantsfan
03-21-2013, 07:58 PM
LT smashing Thiesman, Romo getting clobbered by Boley were great but the helmet catch was beyond special.so two of your favorite plays are when QBs got seriously injured??? One of them career ending?? Says all anyone needs to know about your respect for the game...

bigjeep
03-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah but there was a luck factor in that. It was a great escape but the pass (by Eli's description in America's Game) hung in the air forever. It was actually a blown play by Harrison. It was definitely a dramatic and memorable play, but it was a little "fluky". Plus, it didn't launch the franchise into a new era like the 4th and 17 play. I would actually rate Eli to Manningham higher than the Tyree play because it was a truly great football play made by both guys. Great throw and great catch. That's why the Simms/Johnson play was so great. it was just a great football play.
I would also rate Ingram's play higher as well for the same reason. Just pure grit by one player.

And you may not be shocked to hear that I knew Phil had it in him....ever since he threw his first pass against the Saints in 1979.

Nice argument, but even though it was a broken play, it made the catch even greater. The guy had the ball against his helmet going down with the defender trying to knock it away. Just an amazing catch even watching it now on replays its still hard to believe. I remember the one handed 3rd down catch that Frank Gifford made to beat Pittsburg for the Eastern title in 1963? I remember lots of big plays through the years even by Chucken Charlie Connery. But nothing tops David Tyree. He should have a life time job with the Giants.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Nice argument, but even though it was a broken play, it made the catch even greater. The guy had the ball against his helmet going down with the defender trying to knock it away. Just an amazing catch even watching it now on replays its still hard to believe. I remember the one handed 3rd down catch that Frank Gifford made to beat Pittsburg for the Eastern title in 1963? I remember lots of big plays through the years even by Chucken Charlie Connery. But nothing tops David Tyree. He should have a life time job with the Giants.
I grant you that it was the craziest play. But too many fluky things happened in it to make it the great play you think it is. (In my opinion of course)
Actually, the most memorable play in that game to me was the Plaxico TD. That was the best moment of the game. Maybe the best moment for me as a Giants fan.
I don't go as far back as you, but I do go back to 1967 as a Giants fan. The helmet catch was definitely the most bizaare play. (at least among the positive plays)

nhpgiantsfan
03-21-2013, 08:05 PM
The helmet catch will go down in history as the most famous play in Giants history. But I prefer the Manningham catch. It was just a thing of beauty from beginning to end. The perfect pass, the perfectly executed catch and toe drop. Just perfect.

nhpgiantsfan
03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
As mentioned before the LT fumble recovery in 1990. I still remember John Madden mentioning that Howard forced the ball but he was raving that LT recovered it. He kept saying, "great players make great plays!"

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
The helmet catch will go down in history as the most famous play in Giants history. But I prefer the Manningham catch. It was just a thing of beauty from beginning to end. The perfect pass, the perfectly executed catch and toe drop. Just perfect.
OK. If the standard is the most "famous" play, I might tend to agree. Unfortunately if that is indeed the standard, then the Herm Edwards play may be second.
The question was regarding the "greatest" play in Giants history.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
As mentioned before the LT fumble recovery in 1990. I still remember John Madden mentioning that Howard forced the ball but he was raving that LT recovered it. He kept saying, "great players make great plays!"
Holy crap...I can't believe I didn't mention that. that was the Eric Howard play. That may be the greatest defensive play of all time for the Giants.
but that play was all Eric Howard.
very good call on that one.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:11 PM
OK. If the standard is the most "famous" play, I might tend to agree. Unfortunately if that is indeed the standard, then the Herm Edwards play may be second.The question was regarding the "greatest" play in Giants history. the Edwards play was a great eagle play. Also there's no such thing as luck.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:12 PM
the Edwards play was a great eagle play.
Why...They did nothing to deserve it. That was all on us.

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 08:12 PM

It may not have launched the franchise to a new era BUT it was stuff legends are made of. We made history that day! It will always get replayed over and over and over again and will always be one of the top plays of the NFL as well as one of the best Super Bowls and one the greatest upsets in sports history. It had superhero, good vs evil, David vs Goliath quality to it that no one would forget.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:14 PM
It may not have launched the franchise to a new era BUT it was stuff legends are made of. We made history that day! It will always get replayed over and over and over again and will always be one of the top plays of the NFL as well as one of the best Super Bowls and one the greatest upsets in sports history. It had superhero, good vs evil, David vs Goliath quality to it that no one would forget.
It was definitely a famous play. But there were greater football plays made in huge spots.

4th and 17 was just a super clutch play. Made to perfection in a hostile environment.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
It was definitely a famous play. But there were greater football plays made in huge spots.4th and 17 was just a super clutch play. Made to perfection in a hostile environment.BS THERE IS. How is a regular season game more important than the SB or more clutch?If it's not the greatest it's not famous.You don't get the 4-17, it doesn't affect the season. It has nothing to do with whether they planned it. We're talking about greatest play, not greatest "planned" or greatest "executed"play that they planned. Eli sees tyree and tyree catches it. 0 luck.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Why...They did nothing to deserve it. That was all on us. So? Who cares? That's not what defines greatness.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:32 PM
BS THERE IS. How is a regular season more important than the SB or more clutch?If it's not the greatest it's not famous. It has nothing to do with whether they planned it.
Maybe its about guys my age. I had no playoffs until I was 23 years old. My team was a laughing stock throughout my entire childhood. The plays that guys my age remember were things like the Danelo FG in 1981 and 4th and 17 play. That play more than any other in my life as a Giants fan put my team on the NFL map. That play defined our football team. Like the Cruz 99 yard play (which WAS the most important play in 2011, including playoffs) it changed everything.
Nowadays..everything is short term. Building teams and team identity are year by year.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
So? Who cares? That's not what defines greatness.
Really? Greatness is defined by the other team screwing up through nothing you did?
Well, I disagree.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Maybe its about guys my age. I had no playoffs until I was 23 years old. My team was a laughing stock throughout my entire childhood. The plays that guys my age remember were things like the Danelo FG in 1981 and 4th and 17 play. That play more than any other in my life as a Giants fan put my team on the NFL map. That play defined our football team. Like the Cruz 99 yard play (which WAS the most important play in 2011, including playoffs) it changed everything.Nowadays..everything is short term. Building teams and team identity are year by year. The giants already had old championships. If that play never happens you'd say it was a different one that defined the season. The tyree catch isn't exclusive to 1 season. We still talk about even we've won the SB another time since then cause its not exclusive to a season. Steeler fans love the IR even though they didn't win the SB. And the steelers were a much laughing stock than we were before they won their ring. We at least had old championships. A play doesn't need to revive a franchise in order to be the greatest.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Really? Greatness is defined by the other team screwing up through nothing you did?Well, I disagree. The play defines greatness. Not the teams carrying it out.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:39 PM
If that play never happens you'd say it was a different one that defined the season. The tyree catch isn't exclusive to 1 season.
Agree to disagree.

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
The play defines greatness. Not the teams carrying it out.
Who or what was great in that play?

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Who or what was great in that play? Agreed. As for your question..... The "what" would be the greatness of how and when it happened. That to the eagles it was a miracle. A lot of great plays happen because the opposing player screwed up. What if Franco Harris gets tackled?What if a patriot gets tyree?What if Harrison gets tackled before getting the pick 6? What if a cowboy had covered Dwight Clark? What if Herman Edwards can't pick it up?

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Agreed.
Well then what's your point?

BlueReign
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Tyree play, hands down.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Well then what's your point? read above

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
read above
I read above.
It said 'Well then what's your point?"

alentown pa
03-21-2013, 08:54 PM
The original miracle at the meadowlands. That play changed everything for this franchise IMO. My personal favorite was the Dixon kick return in the 2000 divisional game.

GentleGiant
03-21-2013, 08:54 PM
I read above.It said 'Well then what's your point?" Above that.

mercurio
03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
1. Tyree catch
2. Half Time Hail Mary to Nicks against Packers
3. Cruz 99 yard TD
4. Eli to Manningham sideline catch.
5. Hynosaurus end zone celebration.

killerbootz
03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
the eli manning to david tyree play probably is the greatest play in nfl post-season history. im sure the 72 dolphins will agree with me lol ;)

byron
03-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Are all great plays famous ?!

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 09:21 PM
It was definitely a famous play. But there were greater football plays made in huge spots.

4th and 17 was just a super clutch play. Made to perfection in a hostile environment.

Ehh, greatest play does not have to be the most technical, it just has to be that - the greatest. Eli escaped like he was Houdini and Tyree jumped as high as he could to secure the ball on his helmet. It was not fluky, it was CLUTCH all the way!

nhpgiantsfan
03-21-2013, 09:25 PM
1. Tyree catch
2. Half Time Hail Mary to Nicks against Packers
3. Cruz 99 yard TD
4. Eli to Manningham sideline catch.
5. Hynosaurus end zone celebration.

You have a Hynoski TD in the regular season of a non playoff year, as a top 5 greatest play????

BlessedinBlue22
03-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Forreaal Doee ^^ lol

It was a unique celebration, but not by any means a great play.

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 09:38 PM
BS THERE IS. How is a regular season game more important than the SB or more clutch?If it's not the greatest it's not famous.You don't get the 4-17, it doesn't affect the season. It has nothing to do with whether they planned it. We're talking about greatest play, not greatest "planned" or greatest "executed"play that they planned. Eli sees tyree and tyree catches it. 0 luck.

Exactly. :)

mercurio
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM
You have a Hynoski TD in the regular season of a non playoff year, as a top 5 greatest play????It was something good to remember about the end of that season. His 1st TD & a celebration unequaled in NFL History.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 09:53 PM
The greatest Giant play that I ever saw is not even on that list -- Ingram's 15 yard reception in SB 25 in which he had to avoid 3 to 5 tackles in order to pick up the extra 7 or 8 yards on a 3rd and 15.

Rat_bastich
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM

This one and maybe the Roger Craig fumble. Both were crucial plays that went in favor of the Giants and changed the momentum of the game they happened in. Both led to great things.

L.T.56
03-21-2013, 10:19 PM

maybe not the greatest giants play of all time but atleast one of the greatest hits in giants history. like madden said, that is football. look at that mouthpiece go flying. just epic.

L.T.56
03-21-2013, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAABWqhNvtg

and this is what i think is the greatest hit in giants history. i agree with madden, i dont know how collins missed that ball either lol

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 10:38 PM

maybe not the greatest giants play of all time but atleast one of the greatest hits in giants history. like madden said, that is football. look at that mouthpiece go flying. just epic.
Awesome video. Love that Giants D from the '80s. That D, and team, HATED losing. Great LBs too, but that was a 3-4. I REALLY miss a 3 - 4 D.

rebelfan1966
03-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Eli to Tyree in the SB...

dezzzR
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Nicks running past 5 or 6 dbs for a long td and doing the dirty bird in the end zone against the Falcons in the playoffs last year.

bansaw
03-22-2013, 10:50 AM
I still think Hostettler holding onto the ball in the endzone getting sacked by Bruce Smith in SBXXV is one of the greatest plays I've seen.

rebelfan1966
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
I also like the hail marry to Nicks right before the half in the game against GB....

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I grant you that it was the craziest play. But too many fluky things happened in it to make it the great play you think it is. (In my opinion of course)
Actually, the most memorable play in that game to me was the Plaxico TD. That was the best moment of the game. Maybe the best moment for me as a Giants fan.
I don't go as far back as you, but I do go back to 1967 as a Giants fan. The helmet catch was definitely the most bizaare play. (at least among the positive plays)

The Plax catch was great because we won the SB with that catch. But it was an easy catch. Might not have happened if not for DAVID TYREE!

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
The Plax catch was great because we won the SB with that catch. But it was an easy catch. Might not have happened if not for DAVID TYREE!
How about 4th and one on that drive. BTW DD made a great block on Seymour on that play (for all the DD haters out there)
I mean plenty of plays were needed to win that SB. The Tyree catch was just the most bazaar.

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
OK. If the standard is the most "famous" play, I might tend to agree. Unfortunately if that is indeed the standard, then the Herm Edwards play may be second.
The question was regarding the "greatest" play in Giants history.

"The question was regarding the "greatest" play in Giants history. " Yes, and thats the David Tyree catch!

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
How about 4th and one on that drive. BTW DD made a great block on Seymour on that play (for all the DD haters out there)
I mean plenty of plays were needed to win that SB. The Tyree catch was just the most bazaar.

Like you had typed. "The question was regarding the "greatest" play in Giants history. " not "plays"

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
How about 4th and one on that drive. BTW DD made a great block on Seymour on that play (for all the DD haters out there)I mean plenty of plays were needed to win that SB. The Tyree catch was just the most bazaar. Bazaar or luck had nothing to do with it. Eli saw tyree, threw it, and tyree caught it.

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Bazaar or luck had nothing to do with it. Eli saw tyree, threw it, and tyree caught it.

It's bizarre because of the improbability of that play and that's the reason why it's the greatest play. Bizarre is not a bad thing, it just means you would barely see that kind of play being successful, which made it so great because it was all the way successful. It took two players to play their best and be clutch at that moment. Definitely that was not luck, that's pure motivation and determination at its best.

darrin99
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Bazaar or luck had nothing to do with it. Eli saw tyree, threw it, and tyree caught it.

I'd say there was some luck involved. Everything from Eli not getting sacked, to Eli throwing it up for grabs (despite the call of Tyree being wide open) and Tyree catching the ball with his head.

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
It's bizarre because of the improbability of that play and that's the reason why it's the greatest play. Bizarre is not a bad thing, it just means you would barely see that kind of play being successful, which made it so great because it was all the way successful. It took two players to play their best and be clutch at that moment. Definitely that was not luck, that's pure motivation and determination at its best. Morehead state acts like it being bazaar somehow "downgrades" it .

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Morehead state acts like it being bazaar somehow "downgrades" it .

Bazaar means market, right? Unless there is another meaning for it, then that word does not even make sense to describe that play. :)

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Bazaar means market, right? Unless there is another meaning for it, then that word does not even make sense to describe that play. :) Bizarre. Lol.

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Morehead state acts like it being bazaar somehow "downgrades" it .

Morehead state loves a good debate and thats what these boards are for. As for myself, hey, its no fun being right all the time!

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Morehead state loves a good debate and thats what these boards are for. As for myself, hey, its no fun being right all the time!

And he loves to argue about Eli Manning because he's a Phil Simms fanatic. Or at least that's what I can attribute his resentment. :)

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 04:35 PM
And he loves to argue about Eli Manning because he's a Phil Simms fanatic. Or at least that's what I can attribute his resentment. :)

Phil Simms lost his job to Hoss, enough said!

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Bazaar means market, right? Unless there is another meaning for it, then that word does not even make sense to describe that play. :)
You know I couldn't get my spellcheck to agree with any way i was spelling that word. I now realize its bizarre.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Phil Simms lost his job to Hoss, enough said!
May I remind you that the decision was made by maybe the worst HC in Giants history.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Who am I resenting in this little scenario of yours. I already said that I put the Eli/Manningham pass ahead of the Tyree play. Because it was a perfectly executed play by both players. The Tyree play had a little "fluke" in it.
Is it your view that I hate 2007 Eli but love 2011 Eli?

You folks like to see only what you want to see.

darrin99
03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
May I remind you that the decision was made by maybe the worst HC in Giants history.

Starting Scott Brunner over Simms was worse.

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Who am I resenting in this little scenario of yours. I already said that I put the Eli/Manningham pass ahead of the Tyree play. Because it was a perfectly executed play by both players. The Tyree play had a little "fluke" in it.
Is it your view that I hate 2007 Eli but love 2011 Eli?

You folks like to see only what you want to see.

Just needling you, man. You have to admit though you love Phil Simms and he is probably your hero, so there is a little envy there which I totally understand. Nothing wrong with it. You can be happy for the Giants, does not mean Eli has to take over your admiration over Phil Simms. That's just my theory. :) All in light and fun.

BlueSanta
03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
I dont look at it like the "greatest single play" because I dont like comparing offensive plays to defensive.

I think offensively it is easily the Tyree catch.

I think defensively it is a harder call. But I have a few favorites:

The Marshal v Montana hit in the 1990 NFC championship game. The hit that ended a dynasty.

The Reasons hit someone above posted

and 1 of my favorite from recent memory, because it was a game saving play in an very important game. A very underrated play in our history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUnnW3DkaCk

Special teams is the easiest to choose. The Gary Reasons 1990 NFC championship fake punt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthfQ9qFZ_8

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Morehead state loves a good debate and thats what these boards are for. As for myself, hey, its no fun being right all the time! It's annoying when someone takes a side in a debate that they don't actually believe. Morehead is Skip Bayless.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Just needling you, man. You have to admit though you love Phil Simms and he is probably your hero, so there is a little envy there which I totally understand. Nothing wrong with it. You can be happy for the Giants, does not mean Eli has to take over your admiration over Phil Simms. That's just my theory. :) All in light and fun.
Phil IS my favorite football hero of all time...No doubt.
But lets face it, even in his late 50's, you and I both know that Phil could kill Eli in a fight.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
It's annoying when someone takes a side in a debate that they don't actually believe. Morehead is Skip Bayless.
I never say anything I don't mean. But i do like to argue.
I tend to go against the grain. I often have a contrarian view. Its who I am. I learned early on when I was in the radio business that the masses are asses.

Comparing me to Skip Bayless is a pathetic yet predictable attempt to justify you're naive position.

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Phil IS my favorite football hero of all time...No doubt.But lets face it, even in his late 50's, you and I both know that Phil could kill Eli in a fight. The only way Phil would ever beat Eli is if he broadcasted him to death.

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
I never say anything I don't mean. But i do like to argue. I tend to go against the grain. I often have a contrarian view. Its who I am. I learned early on when I was in the radio business that the masses are asses.Comparing me to Skip Bayless is a pathetic yet predictable attempt to justify you're naive position. Like I said...... Skip Bayless

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 05:39 PM
The only way Phil would ever beat Eli is if he broadcasted him to death.
Maybe Eli would hit Phil over the head with his plastic pale.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Like I said...... Skip Bayless
Sorry I don't walk in lockstep with the rest of the Wehrmacht.
Evidently that's what required with some here so as not to be compared to buffoons on television.

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Maybe Eli would hit Phil over the head with his plastic pale. Or his 2 SB rings.

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry I don't walk in lockstep with the rest of the Wehrmacht.Evidently that's what required with some here so as not to be compared to buffoons on television. So your a hipster?

Morehead State
Or his 2 SB rings.
Then that would be 4 between them.

Morehead State
So your a hipster?
I have no idea what that is.

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Then that would be 4 between them. Yeah but at least eli earned both of his 2 the whole way. And Eli doesn't get hurt when a feather is thrown at him.

Bobby1
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Mark Ingram's catch on 3rd and 13 in Super Bowl XXV against the Bills has to be in there somewhere.

Rudyy
03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I have no idea what that is.This made me laugh so hard.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Yeah but at least eli earned both of his 2 the whole way. And Eli doesn't get hurt when a feather is thrown at him.
I just don't get this. we each have an opinion about the subject of this thread. I say it was the 4th and 17 play in 1986 and you say......well I don't remember what you said.
But how on earth does it get to be an argument about Eli Manning? I promise you it wasn't me. You moro...... (oops I mean.... fine gentlemen) have to make it something unpleasant.
Geez...Sometimes this MB really sucks.

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 06:06 PM

LMFAO!

BTW -- Phil got bad reviews on his SB broadcast!

bigjeep
03-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Take it from me, there were even worse! Remember the "spin around" Fumble!

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I just don't get this. we each have an opinion about the subject of this thread. I say it was the 4th and 17 play in 1986 and you say......well I don't remember what you said.But how on earth does it get to be an argument about Eli Manning? I promise you it wasn't me. You moro...... (oops I mean.... fine gentlemen) have to make it something unpleasant.Geez...Sometimes this MB really sucks. WRONG!!!. Your the one that started hating on Eli. Also you downgrading a play because you think it was "weird"( which makes no sense) is madness. Obviously the thread is for plays as a whole. Not planned ahead plays. Says he hates irrelevant debates........... starts an irrelevant debate.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
WRONG!!!. Your the one that started hating on Eli. Also you downgrading a play because you think it was "weird"( which makes no sense) is madness. Obviously the thread is for plays as a whole. Not planned ahead plays. Says he hates irrelevant debates........... starts an irrelevant debate.
I'm going to look back on this thread and see where I did that. I'm old so I can't remember "hating on Eli".
I'm also going to find the post where I called something "wierd".

Delicreep
03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
It was SB XXV.

As I remember it, we were deep, deep in our own end zone.
Hoss drops back to pass, and tangled feet with Flipper. He somehow gets his balance, and as he drifted back into the end zone and one of the best pass rushers ever to play football, Bruce Smith, closes in and grabs him.
But Smith doesn't just grab him, he gets Hoss' passing arm, ball included.
In an impressive, and seldom credited move, Hoss manages to move the ball to his non throwing hand and take the sack.
Smith had him, and that ball should have come out, but Hoss just flat out made a made the play.

I don't even know if I remember it correctly, but that still sticks out as a combination of heads up and physical play that may well have won the Gmen that game.

JPP=BEASTMODE
03-22-2013, 07:00 PM
LT smashing Thiesman, Romo getting clobbered by Boley were great but the helmet catch was beyond special.Do you realy enjoy watching people get hurt?

byron
03-22-2013, 07:11 PM
It was SB XXV.

Hoss drops back to pass, and tangled feet with Flipper. He somehow gets his balance, and as he drifted back into the end zone and one of the best pass rushers ever to play football, Bruce Smith, closes in and grabs him.
In an impressive, and seldom credited move, Hoss manages to move the ball to his non throwing hand and take the sack.
Smith had him, and that ball should have come out, but Hoss just flat out made a made the play.

I don't even know if I remember it correctly, but that still sticks out as a combination of heads up and physical play that may well have won the Gmen that game. that play is aroud 2:56 into this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPG5DYoaSqE

G-Men Surg.
03-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Wow, this is a tough one, there's so many great moments and huge plays in Giant history but I have one or a string of plays engraved in my memory forever, back in '89 a goaline stand in Denver was nothing short of magic !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfV3RYD7iSs

Every time I see this clip I get wild and pumped up, crazy stuff. Man Oh Man ! Goosebumps all over !

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Phil IS my favorite football hero of all time...No doubt.
But lets face it, even in his late 50's, you and I both know that Phil could kill Eli in a fight.

I guess I let the cat out of the bag. When you criticize Eli to death, I take it with a grain of salt cuz there is a bit of hidden agenda there. :) Suppose the players were different in Super Bowl 42 and it was Phil Simms quarterbacking, how would you really feel about that play? Exactly. :)

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 08:06 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

4thand1
03-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Then that would be 4 between them.

So you're giving Simms a credit for a ring even though he didn't play in the 1990 postseason?

in that case, David Carr has 2 rings too

4thand1
03-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm old so I can't remember "hating on Eli".

Maybe Eli would hit Phil over the head with his plastic pale.

I don't know why you turn every single board that remotely relates to Eli into an anti-Eli soapbox.

It really is getting old.

jomo
03-22-2013, 08:24 PM
This isn't number one but it was huge.
How about the Giants forcing a 49ers fumble with 2:30 left in the 1990 playoff game that led to a game winning field goal by Matt Bahr?

AllHailEli
03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Or his 2 SB rings.

Along with his 2 Super Bowl MVP trophies, and maybe highlights of his parades in the Canyon of Heroes. LOL!

G-Men Surg.
03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
How about the Giants forcing a 49ers fumble with 2:30 left in the 1990 playoff game that led to a game winning field goal by Matt Bahr?
That one was big. Practically ended the three-peat for the niners.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 09:20 PM
So you're giving Simms a credit for a ring even though he didn't play in the 1990 postseason?

in that case, David Carr has 2 rings too
Phil was 11-2 when he got hurt. I'm trying to remember the 11 games that David Carr won for us.

Morehead State
03-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't know why you turn every single board that remotely relates to Eli into an anti-Eli soapbox.

It really is getting old.
You may want to reread the thread.
We were talking about greatest plays and some dope claims that I picked a play from 1986 because I supposedly have something against Eli.
Please know what you're talking about before you post.

Rudyy
03-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Here's a challenge: Let's not make this into an Eli vs. Simms thread.

G-Men Surg.
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
We were talking about greatest plays and some dope claims that I picked a play from 1986 because I supposedly have something against Eli.
lol

G-Men Surg.
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Here's a challenge: Let's not make this into an Eli vs. Simms thread.
lol for some people in here that's already too late.

Rudyy
03-22-2013, 09:36 PM
lol for some people in here that's already too late.Worth a shot :p

4thand1
03-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Phil was 11-2 when he got hurt. I'm trying to remember the 11 games that David Carr won for us.

Manning went 14-0 in 2009. I'm trying to remember when an 11-2 start or better means you get credit for a superbowl.

4thand1
03-22-2013, 10:27 PM

You may want to reread this thread.

You basically called Eli a child when a comparison was made between Eli and Phil.

Please don't ignore what you posted before, it's absolutely pathetic.

L.T.56
03-22-2013, 11:04 PM
this is a more recent great play that made me scream for joy lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGAUgwxsP3M

Drez
03-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Considering how the Tyree play is one of the best plays in NFL history, I can't see how it can't be the best Giants play in history.

Drez
03-22-2013, 11:11 PM
How about the Giants forcing a 49ers fumble with 2:30 left in the 1990 playoff game that led to a game winning field goal by Matt Bahr?Nice call on that one. Those were some great games back then.

Drez
03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
this is a more recent great play that made me scream for joy lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGAUgwxsP3MIt was a sweet play, but the fact that the Skins blew the coverage takes away from its greatness in my book.

L.T.56
03-22-2013, 11:20 PM
It was a sweet play, but the fact that the Skins blew the coverage takes away from its greatness in my book.

yea i dont think they expected cruz to just keep running like that. this was another big touchdown that i dont think gets talked about to often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S3PHznWMTQ

4thand1
03-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Eli to Nicks hail mary vs Packers was pretty sweet too

Completely changed the tone of the game

GentleGiant
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Eli to Nicks hail mary vs Packers was pretty sweet tooCompletely changed the tone of the game All season long I knew the pack was overachieving and was overrated. Your a 15-1 team, your at home, your playing in weather that SHOULD benefit YOU(even though NY seemed more comfortable than GB), and you don't even make it a close game? That's why I feel that Rodgers will have to wait a long time before he even gets back to the SB(if at all). GB just isn't built in anyway to win, not tough, no D, no RB, their recievers are pretty overrated( Cobb was fine but Nelson and Finley have butterfingers). Now no more Greg Jennings. They might be the softest team in the NFL.

L.T.56
03-22-2013, 11:56 PM
All season long I knew the pack was overachieving and was overrated. Your a 15-1 team, your at home, your playing in weather that SHOULD benefit YOU(even though NY seemed more comfortable than GB), and you don't even make it a close game? That's why I feel that Rodgers will have to wait a long time before he even gets back to the SB(if at all). GB just isn't built in anyway to win, not tough, no D, no RB, their recievers are pretty overrated( Cobb was fine but Nelson and Finley have butterfingers). Now no more Greg Jennings. They might be the softest team in the NFL.

yea they one most of their games that year because of a terrific offense that was able to overshadow a 32 ranked pass defense.

bigblue58
03-23-2013, 07:04 AM

Any play that helped us win a SB! There has always been one big important play in all our SB victories, so I'm picking them as the greatest collective play in Giants history!

It could be argued Brandon Jacobs picking up the first down on 4th a 1!
Without that....the heroics that followed don't happen at all and the Pats go 19-0!!!

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 08:44 AM
You may want to reread this thread.

You basically called Eli a child when a comparison was made between Eli and Phil.

Please don't ignore what you posted before, it's absolutely pathetic.
While I'm flattered with your obsession with me. You can keep changing your screen name (and there have been many), but we still know the deal.
I would obviously prefer that you show some guts by sticking to one screen name so I know when it coming.
So whether its Dark Saint, 4th and 1 or whatever you'll call yourself next week, being preoccupied with me is getting a tad creepy.

But as I said, strangely flattering as well.

4thand1
03-23-2013, 09:14 AM
While I'm flattered with your obsession with me. You can keep changing your screen name (and there have been many), but we still know the deal.
I would obviously prefer that you show some guts by sticking to one screen name so I know when it coming.
So whether its Dark Saint, 4th and 1 or whatever you'll call yourself next week, being preoccupied with me is getting a tad creepy.

But as I said, strangely flattering as well.

I disagree with you and therefore I must have different screen names.

Absolutely pathetic that you have no resort to libel when someone shows you to be a complete hypocrite.

Have fun turning every other board into an anti-Eli soapbox and then personally attacking posters who disagree with you

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 09:20 AM
I disagree with you and therefore I must have different screen names.

Absolutely pathetic that you have no resort to libel when someone shows you to be a complete hypocrite.

Have fun turning every other board into an anti-Eli soapbox and then personally attacking posters who disagree with you
I'm not going out with you.

4thand1
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm not going out with you.

nobody asked, perv

FBomb
03-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Must you ruin EVERYTHING, hater?:p

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Must you ruin EVERYTHING, hater?:p
Ha....it seems that I have a stalker F.
I think overt rejection may not be working. Any suggestions?

FBomb
03-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Killem with kindness.......if that doesn't work...a Stanley 20 oz Rip Claw Hammer works nicely............um...I may have said too much.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Killem with kindness.......if that doesn't work...a Stanley 20 oz Rip Claw Hammer works nicely............um...I may have said too much.
Well I tried reason (that was my first mistake). I've had this same poster stalking me under at least 3 screen names.
Its just that Morehead charm. I can't control it.

4thand1
03-23-2013, 09:40 AM

I reply to you on a single board therefore I'm stalking you.

It's quite obvious that you're just trolling now. Kindly do it elsewhere.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I reply to you on a single board therefore I'm stalking you.

It's quite obvious that you're just trolling now. Kindly do it elsewhere.
Stop driving by my house.

4thand1
03-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Stop driving by my house.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

FBomb
03-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Careful....that kind of thing WILL get you banned. Just some friendly advice since you're "new" here.

Toadofsteel
03-23-2013, 09:44 AM
1) Tyree helmet catch
2) JPP FG block
3) Reasons goal line hit
4) Jacquian Williams forced fumble on Kyle Williams
5) Leonard Marshall knocking out Montana.

FBomb
03-23-2013, 09:45 AM
1) Tyree helmet catch
2) JPP FG block
3) Reasons goal line hit
4) Jacquian Williams forced fumble on Kyle Williams
5) Leonard Marshall knocking out Montana.

This are all great choices!!

jomo
03-23-2013, 10:17 AM
This are all great choices!!Add as 5a Burt taking Montana our of the game with a different type of hit than Marshall's. I'd also try to wedge Cruz's catch against the Jets because it was dynamic in its own right but changed the momentum of a critical game and maybe our season.

One last addition for me. I'll call it the Eli pass to MM because although it was a great catch, the throw was out of this world.

4thand1
03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Careful....that kind of thing WILL get you banned. Just some friendly advice since you're "new" here.

.if that doesn't work...a Stanley 20 oz Rip Claw Hammer works nicely............um...I may have said too much.

Oh I see. So what I said wasn't appropriate but advocating violence is.

Tell me, is it also a tradition to accuse new members of having other screen names?

bigjeep
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Considering how the Tyree play is one of the best plays in NFL history, I can't see how it can't be the best Giants play in history.

You hit the nail on the head. Great reasoning.

FBomb
03-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Oh I see. So what I said wasn't appropriate but advocating violence is.

Tell me, is it also a tradition to accuse new members of having other screen names?

You don't want to take my advice it's up to you. But here's some more.....try not being so easily upset over **** said on a MB.

You may or may not be a guy who changes his screen name.....but it goes on frequently. People get upset and say stupid things that get them banned and come back under a different name all the time. The fact that your account is so new, yet you seem to know a lot about 1 particular poster, makes it seem kind of fishy.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Another thread shot to hell.

FBomb
03-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Another thread shot to hell.

You have only your hatred for all things Giants related to blame.....hater!!

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
You have only your hatred for all things Giants related to blame.....hater!!
I'm ashamed.

GentleGiant
03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm ashamed. Funny how your involved in any thread that goes to hell.

FBomb
03-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Funny how your involved in any thread that goes to hell.

Funny how threads go to hell because people get upset over 1 posters opinion.

Edit that.....because people get upset over 1 persons misinterpreted opinion.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Funny how your involved in any thread that goes to hell.
Only when that small band of Morehead stalkers show up. It was a good thread until some dope brings up Eli. And it sure as hell wasn't me.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Amen brother!

bigjeep
03-23-2013, 11:28 AM

I will save this tread!

What do you think was the worst Giants play of all time?

FBomb
03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
I will save this tread!

idk.....I'm sure MS will come up with something Eli did!!

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
I will save this tread!

Now that's a good one.
I have to say the botched FG in the SF playoff game because everybody screwed that up, including the refs.
And the consequences were huge.

I know many might think the Miracle in the Meadowlands but that might have been one of the best things to happen to us. It gave us George Young, then Phil Simms, then LT, then 2 SB's.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh and Flipper Anderson was pretty bad too. But it was the bogus PI called the play before that killed us.

Morehead State
03-23-2013, 11:33 AM
idk.....I'm sure MS will come up with something Eli did!!
Rabel Rouser!!

bigblue58
03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Well I tried reason (that was my first mistake). I've had this same poster stalking me under at least 3 screen names.
Its just that Morehead charm. I can't control it.

Dude,,,don't waste your time trying to reason with irrational people........I know from experience....I work with a Cowgirl fan!

FBomb
03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Rabel Rouser!!

I'm nothing if not consistent!!

FBomb
03-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Now that's a good one.
I have to say the botched FG in the SF playoff game because everybody screwed that up, including the refs.

I know many might think the Miracle in the Meadowlands but that might have been one of the best things to happen to us. It gave us George Young, then Phil Simms, then LT, then 2 SB's.

I agree......

How about worst overall meltdowns?

Certainly the SF playoff game should be mentioned....along with the Eagles comeback.

darrin99
03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Let's be fair to Phil. He played in a different era with horrific receivers for most of his career, inside one of the hardest stadiums to throw in.

Edit: ...and an.awful OL the first few years of his career.

FBomb
03-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Let's be fair to Phil. He played in a different era with horrific receivers for most of his career, inside one of the hardest stadiums to throw in.

Eli hater!!!

Blue_Cusen
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM

I bought the highlight video after that miraculous '86 season and I think the most special thing about that play was Simms admitting he couldn't see Johnson when he threw the ball but he knew where he was supposed to be on that play....and he was.

bigjeep
03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Now that's a good one.

Could not agree more!

bigjeep
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM

True, Phil did a better job with the wind in Giants stadium then Eli did.

darrin99
03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Eli hater!!!

lol

Blue_Cusen
03-23-2013, 01:34 PM

and this is what i think is the greatest hit in giants history. i agree with madden, i dont know how collins missed that ball either lol

I think this is the greatest hit in Giants history, myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORAE66ZsEH8&feature=player_detailpage

Blue_Cusen
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Mark Ingram's catch on 3rd and 13 in Super Bowl XXV against the Bills has to be in there somewhere.

That WAS awesome but my favorite (not greatest) play from that game was old OJ Anderson winding his arm to blast a tackler with his shoulder instead of just going out of bounds. That really fired up the team and the crowd.

Giantstepz
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
While I loved the Tyree play, I still have a special place in my heart for a "trick play" I saw the G-Men pull off around 1964 or so. I believe they were at home in a regular season game and suddenly,everybody lines up along the line of scrimmage except the quarterback. The defense looked totally bewildered and began pointing fingers. A quick snap, a long pass and a sudden touchdown had the place in awe! The announcer scrambled to find out what just happened, and informed us that there was an assistant offensive coach who drew up the special play whose name was something like "Pete Prevette" and the play became famous as "The Pete Prevette Special". They never used it again.I cannot locate any further info through Google. Does any other Ol'Timer recall that great play?

bigjeep
03-23-2013, 03:27 PM
While I loved the Tyree play, I still have a special place in my heart for a "trick play" I saw the G-Men pull off around 1964 or so. I believe they were at home in a regular season game and suddenly,everybody lines up along the line of scrimmage except the quarterback. The defense looked totally bewildered and began pointing fingers. A quick snap, a long pass and a sudden touchdown had the place in awe! The announcer scrambled to find out what just happened, and informed us that there was an assistant offensive coach who drew up the special play whose name was something like "Pete Prevette" and the play became famous as "The Pete Prevette Special". They never used it again.I cannot locate any further info through Google. Does any other Ol'Timer recall that great play?

I don't remember that one?

blueribbon
03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I'll take Jim Burt's hit on Montana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ORAE66ZsEH8

Manning
03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxiHMIM4NWI

I'll never forget seeing Eli almost get sacked and I already got up and was waiting for the play to end so I could go upstairs and not even watch the rest of the SB. I thought it was over right then.....I won't go into detail about how much I celebrated when Tyree made the catch but let's just say I had to pay my buddy money for repairs to his house.

On a side note, Joe Buck should've gotten shot after that play. An investigation should be made to see how much $ he had on the Pats for that game.
I did the same thing. I was sitting in the end zone facing the Giants backs. As Eli was initially be grasped I went from standing to sitting in my seat thinking the worst. Two seconds later I look up and see Tyree catching it against his helmet.

100% agree. While it might not be the most memorable play in Giants history, I don't think I will see a better throw and catch by Giants players. That ball is in the only possible spot it can be caught. The margin of error on that throw has to be almost zero. It gives me chills thinking about how perfect it is.

rebelfan1966
03-23-2013, 09:22 PM
I thought the Bradshaw accidental game winning TD in the SB was special as well......

jomo
03-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I did the same thing. I was sitting in the end zone facing the Giants backs. As Eli was initially be grasped I went from standing to sitting in my seat thinking the worst. Two seconds later I look up and see Tyree catching it against his helmet.

100% agree. While it might not be the most memorable play in Giants history, I don't think I will see a better throw and catch by Giants players. That ball is in the only possible spot it can be caught. The margin of error on that throw has to be almost zero. It gives me chills thinking about how perfect it is.I think the throw and catch with Manningham was better.............still not sure how much luck (no criticism intended) was involved with Tyree.

The thread was not for the "most memorable play" but rather "the greatest play."

bansaw
03-24-2013, 09:12 AM
It was SB XXV.

I don't even know if I remember it correctly, but that still sticks out as a combination of heads up and physical play that may well have won the Gmen that game.

I still think Hostettler holding onto the ball in the endzone getting sacked by Bruce Smith in SBXXV is one of the greatest plays I've seen.

great minds think alike

gfanblue
03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Eli to Toomer with 5seconds against Denver his rookie year

bansaw
03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Eli to Toomer with 5seconds against Denver his rookie year

was 2nd year but still great

only won week 16 his rookie year which was a great one too

CowboysSuck
03-24-2013, 10:47 AM

only won week 16 his rookie year which was a great one too

havent seen you post as much this past season as in recent years. bored of the boards?

bansaw
03-24-2013, 10:51 AM
havent seen you post as much this past season as in recent years. bored of the boards?

kinda
got trolled out

gfanblue
03-24-2013, 04:20 PM

only won week 16 his rookie year which was a great one tooMy bad. Great play from the kid

titwio
03-24-2013, 04:29 PM
So many great memories.

Sadly this play would be a penalty in today's NFL for launching and leading with the helmet. One of the greatest goal line stuffs of all time IMO. I really miss how smash mouth football used to be.

nygon3
03-25-2013, 01:22 AM

That and the Manningham catch.. Greatest and most exciting plays I have ever watched..

bigblue58
03-25-2013, 08:47 AM
True, Phil did a better job with the wind in Giants stadium then Eli did.

Talk about revisionist history!
EVENTUALLY Phil did better with the wind than Eli did.
I'll tell you one thing Eli had over Phil in regard to their performance after getting the starting job.........I never wanted Eli benched! Can't say I felt the same about Phil's early stumbles and bungles!

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Talk about revisionist history!
EVENTUALLY Phil did better with the wind than Eli did.
I'll tell you one thing Eli had over Phil in regard to their performance after getting the starting job.........I never wanted Eli benched! Can't say I felt the same about Phil's early stumbles and bungles!
Well that's not what he's saying. Phil was well known for being a great wind passer .

i don't see the revisionist history in that. Its pretty much indisputable.

bigjeep
03-25-2013, 09:01 AM
I think the throw and catch with Manningham was better.............still not sure how much luck (no criticism intended) was involved with Tyree.

The thread was not for the "most memorable play" but rather "the greatest play."

Thats right, and David Tyree's catch is the greatest play in Giants history!

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Thats right, and David Tyree's catch is the greatest play in Giants history!
I will restate my opinion that 4th and 17 vs. the Vikings is the greatest play.
It may not be the most well known play among the general public, but for hard core Giants fans...............

rebelfan1966
03-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree that the Tyree pass/catch takes the prize. The MM pass catch was good, so was the Hail Mary to Nicks in the Green Bay game... but the Tyree play trumps them all.

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I agree that the Tyree pass/catch takes the prize. The MM pass catch was good, so was the Hail Mary to Nicks in the Green Bay game... but the Tyree play trumps them all.
I agree that to casual fans, the Tyree catch gets the most attention.
To hard core, long standing Giants fans, the views may be different.

rebelfan1966
03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
To hard core, long standing Giants fans, the views may be different.

I forgot, your a Super Fan..... <rolling eyes>

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I forgot, your a Super Fan..... <rolling eyes>
I was just poking you a bit. It was tongue in cheek.

bigjeep
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM

I have to say again, as a hard core die hard wacky Giants fan that remembers the "greatest game ever played" which still gets me upset after all these years, I still go with the David Tyree catch and the Eli excape.

rebelfan1966
03-25-2013, 03:45 PM

It's all good ;-)

Drez
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
To hard core, long standing Giants fans, the views may be different.I'm a long standing, hard core Giants fan. The Tyree Catch was one of the best plays in the history of the NFL. Can the same be said of the 4-17?

ALLnygIN
03-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't care "how hardcore" of a giants fan you are.. that tyree catch has to be at least top 2 or 3.. if not 1.... that play was the reason we won the superbowl..

Drez
03-25-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't care "how hardcore" of a giants fan you are.. that tyree catch has to be at least top 2 or 3.. if not 1.... that play was the reason we won the superbowl..MS is just being a **** stirrer and trying to make it seem like only the Eli "cultists" are the ones that are for the Tyree play.

I wonder if the guys and gals over at the NFL are all Eli cultists. They have a top plays of all time in the NFL bracket going on. The Tyree Catch is a 1 seed. The 4-17 play is conspicuously missing. http://www.nfl.com/bracketologyround1

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 04:16 PM
MS is just being a **** stirrer and trying to make it seem like only the Eli "cultists" are the ones that are for the Tyree play.

I wonder if the guys and gals over at the NFL are all Eli cultists. They have a top plays of all time in the NFL bracket going on. The Tyree Catch is a 1 seed. The 4-17 play is conspicuously missing. http://www.nfl.com/bracketologyround1
Oh my God you guys. Don't be so delicate.
It was a joke aimed at my friend Rebelfan.

And I say it was the 4th and 17 play. So to me...as a Giants fan the age I am, with the experiences I've had as a Giants fan, I choose that play. I don't need a lot of people to agree with me to make me happy. I have my opinion and you guys have yours.
What's the big friggin deal here? I picked the Eli to Manningham play second.

You guys crack me up.

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't care "how hardcore" of a giants fan you are.. that tyree catch has to be at least top 2 or 3.. if not 1.... that play was the reason we won the superbowl..
I could argue that the 4th and one play was the reason. I could argue that the Boss catch on the first play of the 4th quarter was the reason. I could argue that the Plaxico catch was the reason we won.

There was not ONE PLAY that won us the SB. It was a lot of plays by a lot of different players.

JB456
03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I could argue that the 4th and one play was the reason. I could argue that the Boss catch on the first play of the 4th quarter was the reason. I could argue that the Plaxico catch was the reason we won.

There was not ONE PLAY that won us the SB. It was a lot of plays by a lot of different players.

It seemed very obvious to me that you were joking around with the whole "die hard fan" thing and you are right that this whole thing is subjective.

Now with that being said, it seems that you are getting defensive. You won't change the majority of posters opinions on the subject and like another has said, they Tyree catch is in the running for one of the Greatest NFL plays of all time (not just the Giants). The play has everything, a crazy escape by Manning, a circus catch by Tyree on his helmet, under 4 minutes to go in the superbowl, against a juggernaut New England team that was 17-0, 14 point NY Giants underdog. You've got to admit, that would have been a crazy play if it were in the regular season without all of the added presure.

Morehead State
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
It seemed very obvious to me that you were joking around with the whole "die hard fan" thing and you are right that this whole thing is subjective.

Now with that being said, it seems that you are getting defensive. You won't change the majority of posters opinions on the subject and like another has said, they Tyree catch is in the running for one of the Greatest NFL plays of all time (not just the Giants). The play has everything, a crazy escape by Manning, a circus catch by Tyree on his helmet, under 4 minutes to go in the superbowl, against a juggernaut New England team that was 17-0, 14 point NY Giants underdog. You've got to admit, that would have been a crazy play if it were in the regular season without all of the added presure.

I think it was a great play.
I just think a few others were "greater".

I would say

1. 4th and 17
2. Eli to Manningham
3. Mark Ingram
4. Helmet catch
5. Eric Howard's forced fumble.

I like the first 3 because they were simply great football plays. I just think there is a little bit of a "fluke" factor in the helmet catch.

BigBlueAllDay
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Strahan getting his record setting sack on Brett Favre in the cradle position. ok ok... I'd pick Tyree's helmet catch too.:p

JB456
03-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I think it was a great play.
I just think a few others were "greater".

I would say

1. 4th and 17
2. Eli to Manningham
3. Mark Ingram
4. Helmet catch
5. Eric Howard's forced fumble.

I like the first 3 because they were simply great football plays. I just think there is a little bit of a "fluke" factor in the helmet catch.

I don't think number 2 gets enough love. That was one of the most perfect throw and catch in a huge situation I have ever seen. Great play that I must of watched 20 times.

Joe Morrison
03-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Phil Sims to Odessa turner, playoff, 4th down, breaks numerous tackles and dives for 1st down, Giants go on to win 1st Superbowl.

bearbryant
03-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Absolutely the best! Even though I have many "favorite" plays... The 4th and 17 to Johnson was the most memorable for me.

bklyn1028
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Mark Ingram fighting for the 1st down was incredible, and probably was a turning point in the game. Then you have Mark Bavaro dragging what 3 D's with him for extra yards?
And we have Cruz's bobbled catch against the Seahawks, AND the Giant's last play against the Skins last year with a little over a min left and Eli throws that bomb to Cruz...wow....

HOWEVER the helmet catch has to be the greatest play...and NOT because of how Tyree caught it....no.....How in the world Eli did not get sacked is still a mystery. Tom Selleck narrated "Greatest play of the decade video" for the NFL and called it the "double miracle".

That was an incredible catch by Tyree and maintaining possession when he put it against his helmet, but Eli refusing to go down with 3 patriot hands stretching his jersey is one for the books, and in my opinion will not be repeated.

Morehead State
03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Absolutely the best! Even though I have many "favorite" plays... The 4th and 17 to Johnson was the most memorable for me.
Ha!!!
I was called an "Eli hater" for suggesting the same play.

NYGabriel
03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
"Manning lobs it, Burress alone, Touchdown New York".

bigjeep
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
The first pass ever thrown by a Giants QB, 1925?, still gives me the chills! But I'm also sick today, so that could also be the reason!

bigjeep
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
I must say again, the "emotions" on this board are HORRIBLE!

ZEKE80
03-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Toss up between David Tyree's catch and Mark Ingram's catch for a first down in the SB against the bills

elitocruz
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
TOO MANY TO COUNT. BUT I'LL GO WITH AN UNDERDOG. THE GARY REASONS FAKE PUNT IN SAN FRAN, 1990 NFC TITLE GAME. WE DON'T WIN THAT GAME OR 2ND SUPER BOWL WITHOUT THAT PLAY.

Drystt
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
When Manning ran down field and threw a block for Bradshaw vs Greenbay hahah

Blue_Cusen
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
You know, now that I think about it I have to say the fake punt on the first drive of the second half of Super bowl XXI has to be the best.

What a call on 4th and 1 from your own 46 yard line, down 10-9 in the biggest game.

Jeff ruttledge up the middle for the first! And the Giants go on to take the lead and never looked back.