PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reese Attends Alec Ogletree's Pro Day

titwio
03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Read into this whatever you like, but New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) general manager Jerry Reese was in attendance Thursday at the Georgia Pro Day (https://twitter.com/AJCFalcons/status/314739038076686336), where linebacker Alex Ogletree was one of the star attractions. Ogletree, of course, has often been connected to the Giants in the pre-draft process.

Ogletree was apparently impressive (https://twitter.com/YousefBaig/status/314766326767955968) during his Pro Day,running a 4.6 40-yard dash. (https://twitter.com/GentryEstes247/status/314750671771533312)Could Ogletree be on the Giants radar at No. 19 despite the signing of Dan Connor (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34378/dan-connor) and the return of Keith Rivers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34370/keith-rivers)?
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-...eorgia-pro-day (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-draft/2013/3/21/4132208/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-jerry-reese-new-york-giants-alec-ogletreee-georgia-pro-day)

TAILGATIN'
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
While I agree this doesnt have to mean a thing, JR does not attend all Pro Days. Im a happy camper if Ogletree pleased him. I trust JR enough to make that decision for the team and although I like Ogletree, in the end, we all just want the organization to succeed.

NWKEffectElement
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Seems like a smokescreen.

tonyt830
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I wonder how Cornelius Washington looked at his pro day. He is a DE that opened my eyes at the combine. He did not get all of the hype at Georgia like Ogletree, Rambo, Jones, King and Jenkins did.

Mr Reese is going to give his due diligence when it comes to Ogletree. But I honestly don't think the Giants will draft Ogletree at 19.

titwio
03-21-2013, 03:46 PM
@YousefBaig

Alec Ogletree is having one hell of a Pro Day....
Improved in every category since the NFL combine

https://twitter.com/YousefBaig/status/314766326767955968

TCHOF
03-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Don't see how the signings of RIvers or Conors would affect the decision to draft Ogeltree.

DownWitJPP
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't see the Rivers or Connor signings having anything to do with Ogletree, they are both only here on 1 yr deals. Reese being at Georgia means he has his eye on someone, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Ogletree

tonyt830
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Don't see how the signings of RIvers or Conors would affect the decision to draft Ogeltree.

I don't see the Rivers or Connor signings having anything to do with Ogletree, they are both only here on 1 yr deals. Reese being at Georgia means he has his eye on someone, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Ogletreeagreed. Even if Reese were to pull the trigger on Ogletree at 19, it's not like Coughlin would start Ogletree from day 1. He typically does not rush the 1st rd rookies, and as long as Connor and/or Rivers stay healthy, I don't see Ogletree on the field as much, except maybe on ST.

titwio
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't see the Rivers or Connor signings having anything to do with Ogletree, they are both only here on 1 yr deals. Reese being at Georgia means he has his eye on someone, but it doesn't necessarily have to be Ogletree

This is true. Georgia has a lot of good players but the the focus is always going to be the 1st round prospect when these guys write their articles. In reality though I can see the Giants interested in any of those guys.(Ogeltree, Rambo, Washington, Jones, Jenkins).

rxc999
03-21-2013, 04:08 PM
does coach coughlin go to any pro-days??..i would think the coach and JR would be on same page during draft period..

Buto
03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Mr Reese is just looking at the men in the draft.
He already has Connor so Ogletree isn't on the radar.

joemorrisforprez
03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
agreed. Even if Reese were to pull the trigger on Ogletree at 19, it's not like Coughlin would start Ogletree from day 1. He typically does not rush the 1st rd rookies, and as long as Connor and/or Rivers stay healthy, I don't see Ogletree on the field as much, except maybe on ST.

Agreed.....just like with most other positions, if they draft a linebacker, they'll need to get him familiar with the system first....big jump up to defend against pro style offenses.

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-21-2013, 04:17 PM

connor is a stop gap.

tonyt830
does coach coughlin go to any pro-days??..i would think the coach and JR would be on same page during draft period..I might be mistaken, but I have never heard anyone(beat writers etc.) mention that Coughlin has gone to pro days. I think its mostly Reese and our scouts that attend.

Each team is different, there are teams that do send their head coach and/or coordinators to the pro days along with GMs and scouts.

DownWitJPP
He already has Connor so Ogletree isn't on the radar. ughhh thats not true at all..Connor is here for 1 year

giantsfan420
03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
imho, j.jones is a better prospect at MLB than ogeltree but thats just me...

DownWitJPP
03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
imho, j.jones is a better prospect at MLB than ogeltree but thats just me... I agree with you, inless Ogletree puts some size onto that frame. Look at the pic with his shirt off, he looks like a safety. I think he's gonna be a WLB

Toadofsteel
03-21-2013, 04:20 PM
ugh I think I'm going to feel sick... I hope reese can do a character evaluation...

titwio
03-21-2013, 04:21 PM
imho, j.jones is a better prospect at MLB than ogeltree but thats just me...

Why would you want to put Jarvis at the Mike when his biggest strength is rushing the passer?

titwio
03-21-2013, 04:23 PM

Sorry man but this is ludicrous.

TAILGATIN'
Seems like a smokescreen. that's ur bong bro. Lol

tonyt830
imho, j.jones is a better prospect at MLB than ogeltree but thats just me...yeah, but that neck issue might be something that would concern me, as a GM of any team. I heard them mention on NFL Network the other day that Jones was ready to roll for his pro day.

I heard the word spinal stenosis(narrowing of the open spaces within your spinal column).

giantsfan420
03-21-2013, 04:25 PM
titiwio-he can still do that as a Mike. He just moves the best in space imo of all the possible mlb rd 1 names associated with our potential pick. he has a burst/quickness that isnt matched as well. he also can be used as a DL on occassion...you could use him all over the place and he just seems with his athleticism AND ability to take on blockers that he'd be my choice at least over ogeltree, who in reality is actually a similar prospect.

giantsfan420
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
yeah, but that neck issue might be something that would concern me, as a GM of any team. I heard them mention on NFL Network the other day that Jones was ready to roll for his pro day.

I heard the word spinal stenosis(narrowing of the open spaces within your spinal column).apparently he didnt participate in the combine so he could get a ton of medical clearances from diff. doctors with diff. reports. and, again apparently, he was able to get all that clearance...so he should check out medically. it'd be sick if he somehow fell to our 2nd pick

giantsfan420
03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
or if we could trade back and grab him and an additinal 2nd. dude was a consensus top 10 pick before the medical questions...and prob still goes top 10

TAILGATIN'
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
He already has Connor so Ogletree isn't on the radar.. Oh good.. Now we all know for certain. Thanks a ton man!!

moosedrool
03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
If we are lucky enough to get Ogletree I'll be pretty happy.

Fast, good in pass coverage, solid tacking technique, good off the edge, and loved the stuff at the goal line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZOXZcRZNM

TAILGATIN'
03-21-2013, 04:37 PM
apparently he didnt participate in the combine so he could get a ton of medical clearances from diff. doctors with diff. reports. and, again apparently, he was able to get all that clearance...so he should check out medically. it'd be sick if he somehow fell to our 2nd pick what in gods good name is everyone on? Jones at 49th overall? Lets just get Joeckel in the 3rd.

Toadofsteel
03-21-2013, 04:37 PM

Fast, good in pass coverage, solid tacking technique, good off the edge, and loved the stuff at the goal line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8CmJtkN8c

and a goddamn dui

rxc999
03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I might be mistaken, but I have never heard anyone(beat writers etc.) mention that Coughlin has gone to pro days. I think its mostly Reese and our scouts that attend.

Each team is different, there are teams that do send their head coach and/or coordinators to the pro days along with GMs and scouts.

does coach has any say on the draft picks?? i would image coach has input during the draft process and he is in the draft room with everyone else.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
or if we could trade back and grab him and an additinal 2nd. dude was a consensus top 10 pick before the medical questions...and prob still goes top 10

I don't think there's any way he goes top 10. There is just too much risk with all his off the field baggage. He has top 10 talent, but way too many off the field issues.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Rather have Bjoern Werner, saw some unflattering comments from scouts regarding Ogletree.

TroyArcher
03-21-2013, 04:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZOXZcRZNM

Weaknesses: Rarely uses hands to fight with blockers despite an aggressive mentality. Overruns a lot of plays between the tackles, struggles to recover. Has a lot of issues dealing with second level blocks from the offensive line, rarely can work over top of them, there winds up walled off. Run and chase player at this point, loses gap integrity with false or wasted steps. Dives or lunges for a lot of tackles rather than running through them and wrapping up. Mentality changes when attacking an offensive lineman compared to a running back.

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Its a pipe dream. Ogeltree is gone by 19.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Weaknesses: Rarely uses hands to fight with blockers despite an aggressive mentality. Overruns a lot of plays between the tackles, struggles to recover. Has a lot of issues dealing with second level blocks from the offensive line, rarely can work over top of them, there winds up walled off. Run and chase player at this point, loses gap integrity with false or wasted steps. Dives or lunges for a lot of tackles rather than running through them and wrapping up. Mentality changes when attacking an offensive lineman compared to a running back.

To be fair, if Lawrence Taylor was coning out in this year's draft, you'd find your share of scouting reports listing all his weaknesses making him sound like a 3rd round pick. ;)

Buddy333
03-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe they do draft him but they need a DE, DT, Safety, or CB before a LB at this point.

moosedrool
03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
and a goddamn dui

Which will help him fall to us in the draft. Diehl got a DUI. I was lucky in college and never got caught. Young people make stupid mistakes.

giantsfam04
Good player but needs to work on his tackling. Some of those hit are a 15 yarder in the NFL. I don't think jr touches him he doesn't seem like a jr type player is undisciplined and more of a freelancer.

B&RWarrior
To be fair, if Lawrence Taylor was coning out in this year's draft, you'd find your share of scouting reports listing all his weaknesses making him sound like a 3rd round pick. ;)

No you wouldn't. Everybody new LT was star from the get go.

moosedrool
03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Maybe they do draft him but they need a DE, DT, Safety, or CB before a LB at this point.

A safety before a LB? You can't be serious.

giantsfan420
To be fair, if Lawrence Taylor was coning out in this year's draft, you'd find your share of scouting reports listing all his weaknesses making him sound like a 3rd round pick. ;)well id typically agree, but the weakness report on ogeltree is actually pretty blatant with his game film. its just he makes a lot of those sick/flashy type plays with enough volume that the other stuff was easily overlooked at the college level...the nfl? not so much. being made useless by an OL simply getting their paws on him is prob the worst trait u could want for a 4-3 MLB...u need a guy who can stack and shed blocks as a prerequisite to be a solid at minimum MLB...Like im not overstating it, watch his game tape for when he gets engaged by OL, its actually kinda pathetic for such a quick, explosive, athletic player to get pwned the way he does...
but, to be fair, he is a converted safety so maybe that part of his game just hasnt developed yet...hes erally a WILL/weakside lb tho and we already got one in JWill

titwio

I think it ultimately comes down to what their plans are the following year. A lot of guys are on one year deals and I don't see them carrying the bigger contracts like Rolle's after this season also. Most rookies don't have a key role going into their first seasons. It's usually the following year when they're asked to step up and play the bigger role.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 05:05 PM

I guess the Saints thankfully didn't get the memo.

TAILGATIN'
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
LT 6"3' 237 ran a 4.5 40.. Not sayin he's LT but similar size n speed

darrin99
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
well id typically agree, but the weakness report on ogeltree is actually pretty blatant with his game film. its just he makes a lot of those sick/flashy type plays with enough volume that the other stuff was easily overlooked at the college level...the nfl? not so much. being made useless by an OL simply getting their paws on him is prob the worst trait u could want for a 4-3 MLB...u need a guy who can stack and shed blocks as a prerequisite to be a solid at minimum MLB...Like im not overstating it, watch his game tape for when he gets engaged by OL, its actually kinda pathetic for such a quick, explosive, athletic player to get pwned the way he does...
but, to be fair, he is a converted safety so maybe that part of his game just hasnt developed yet...hes erally a WILL/weakside lb tho and we already got one in JWill

I don't actually disagree with you either. I was exaggerating my point. ;) Ogletree's has a lot of physical tools, but he needs work. Combine that with all his off the field issues, I'm not sure he's even worth the 19th pick.

Buddy333
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
I think it ultimately comes down to what their plans are the following year. A lot of guys are on one year deals and I don't see them carrying the bigger contracts like Rolle's after this season also. Most rookies don't have a key role going into their first seasons. It's usually the following year when they're asked to step up and play the bigger role.True, but it seems that they put more value in their DL, then secondary, and then the LB's. the DL has just TWO reliable guys and a but of hopefuls. The secondary has one reliable CB, a couple of promising Safeties, and a bunch of hopes. The same can be said of the LB's, but they seem to draft DL and secondary early.

moosedrool
03-21-2013, 05:28 PM
True, but it seems that they put more value in their DL, then secondary, and then the LB's. the DL has just TWO reliable guys and a but of hopefuls. The secondary has one reliable CB, a couple of promising Safeties, and a bunch of hopes. The same can be said of the LB's, but they seem to draft DL and secondary early.

Stevie Brown and Will Hill proved themselves last year. Our LB's are so weak it is embarrassing. There is no upside there.

TCHOF
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Which will help him fall to us in the draft. Diehl got a DUI. I was lucky in college and never got caught. Young people make stupid mistakes.

It's not really the DUI itself that is the problem. As you say, that could have happened to lots of us in our youth. It's the fact that he got a DUI one week before the combine, when he knew that he that his character was already an issue.

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
I guess the Saints thankfully didn't get the memo.

Dude your just wrong. Lawrence Taylor was being talked about for Heisman consideration early in his last year at Carolina. He was drafted #2 overall at the LB position before the LB was known as a celebrity position that it is now. Parcells said he was the best prospect he had seen at LB in a long time! LT had star written on him even at Carolina.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
It's not only a DUI on his resume. There's a failed drug test with suspension, and an arrest for theft as a freshman.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Dude your just wrong. Lawrence Taylor was being talked about for Heisman consideration early in his last year at Carolina. He was drafted #2 overall at the LB position before the LB was known as a celebrity position that it is now. Parcells said he was the best prospect he had seen at LB in a long time! LT had star written on him even at Carolina.

No.. Really?

slipknottin
03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
He attended Georgia's pro day. Ogletree does not have his own.

There's a lot of talent on that Georgia team.

Bacarri Rambo, Cornelius Washington, Kwame Geathers, etc.

Duckdownman
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM

I think the point he was trying to make was that LT's scouting report would have a bunch of weaknesses listed. Every player does, on every report. They nit pick, that's the purpose.
The ogletree "weaknesses" that we're posted are quite typical.

darrin99
03-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I think the point he was trying to make was that LT's scouting report would have a bunch of weaknesses listed. Every player does, on every report. They nit pick, that's the purpose.

Thank you. lol

slipknottin
03-21-2013, 05:53 PM

It's on a different level. The truly elite prospects have very small of minimal negatives listed. A guy like Calvin Johnson, or Patrick Willis, or joe Thomas had nothing bad listed about them. Same as LT. Truly rare talent. Once a decade type player (turned out to be even more rare than that).

Ogletree is not that type of guy. He's a good player, but not rare. His arm use (lack of) alone probably will prevent him from playing MLB for at least a season. He can't stack and shed at all, which is critical for any inside linebacker. He will probably have to start out at weakside where he can run and chase and be protected up front

titwio
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
He attended Georgia's pro day. Ogletree does not have his own.

There's a lot of talent on that Georgia team.

Bacarri Rambo, Cornelius Washington, Kwame Geathers, etc.

Yeah I mentioned this earlier. It's basically writers just leading into the connection of all the talk of Ogletree being mocked to the Giants. The Giants though could literally be interested in a number of players attending the workout.

Jenkins also to add to your list.

GiantRoc
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Unless the kid really shines in the interview process, I don't see the Giants taking him. Maybe if he falls a few rounds in the draft. I can't see that happening though.

G-Men Surg.
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
does coach coughlin go to any pro-days??..i would think the coach and JR would be on same page during draft period..

He does attend. Don't know the last one he visited but he was at JPP proday in '10.

G.I. Ants
03-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Baccari Rambo would be a great pick up. Jones could also be a possibility if he falls to 19

darrin99
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Unless the kid really shines in the interview process, I don't see the Giants taking him. Maybe if he falls a few rounds in the draft. I can't see that happening though.

It's doubtful he falls out of the 1st round, but he could drop to the bottom of it.

rxc999
03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
He does attend. Don't know the last one he visited but he was at JPP proday in '10.

does the coach have any say on the draft day..who he would like to be picked..or is it strictly JR and his scouts decision?

titwio
03-21-2013, 06:15 PM
does the coach have any say on the draft day..who he would like to be picked..or is it strictly JR and his scouts decision?

The coaches are always involved but the final say is the GM's. Coughlin is asked his input on certain players. The pick is designed to get the best player they are all on board with and what's best for the team itself.

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 06:49 PM

That's the point I was trying to make. I think the 2 are incomparable. Think back to Ndamukong Suh when he was drafted. That is representative of what people thought about LT. When I look at the scouting reports for Suh the admit that there isn't much not to like. The same thing would have happened to LT. However, Ogeltree isn't that type of player and I think the scouting report accurately reflects legitimate areas of concern.

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 06:57 PM
It's on a different level. The truly elite prospects have very small of minimal negatives listed. A guy like Calvin Johnson, or Patrick Willis, or joe Thomas had nothing bad listed about them. Same as LT. Truly rare talent. Once a decade type player (turned out to be even more rare than that).

Ogletree is not that type of guy. He's a good player, but not rare. His arm use (lack of) alone probably will prevent him from playing MLB for at least a season. He can't stack and shed at all, which is critical for any inside linebacker. He will probably have to start out at weakside where he can run and chase and be protected up front

Thank you Slip. LOL I just posted a reply because I didn't see yours, but you said the same thing I said. I used Suh as an example of rare talent recognized by scouting reports comparable to how Scouts saw LT.

pino
03-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't be mad at this pick. There is a good chance Ogletree will be available at #19.

B-Red22
03-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Ya cause Connor was signed to be our franchise MLB and everything

myles2424
03-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Seems like a smokescreen.

Wasn't our whole crew at usf proday when we took JPP???

G-Men Surg.
03-21-2013, 07:34 PM
I think TC has always had a say on draft decision all thru out his tenure here and I'm sure by now he has a strong opinion in draft choices but obviously he doesn't have the final word, thats Reese's job.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Never say never with Jerry Reese's BPA

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
With this Pro Day performance Ogeltree is gone by 19.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 11:21 PM
I'd be happy with any of the Georgia OR Alabama players -- both programs were so loaded with nice talent. Would also be happy with Ansah.

AGiantDynasty
03-21-2013, 11:46 PM
and a goddamn dui

I'm with you.. too much risk for a 19th pick. Not to mention he is best suited at a wlb in a 43.

AGiantDynasty
03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
I'd be happy with any of the Georgia OR Alabama players -- both programs were so loaded with nice talent. Would also be happy with Ansah.

The problem with those stacked teams sometimes is that the team makes players look better then they are.

Like USC QBs for example. They are usually stacked with offensive talent and it makes the qbs look much better then they are. Then you end up with Sanchez or Leinert.

Rat_bastich
03-22-2013, 12:11 AM
It's Reese doing his "due diligence" and probably nothing more. He is probably on the draft board somewhere and you never know what circumstances may lead to especially if teams start making runs on certain players that may be rated highly by Reese. Reese probably figured some questions could be answered at his pro day and probably just wanted to take a look.

Breezely
03-22-2013, 12:15 AM
I agree with the smoke screen argument.

1. The Giants rarely tips their hand and 9 times out of 10 uses the misdirection play when it comes down to draft picks.

2. The "Cowgirls are picking directly in front of the Giants. They will not hesitate to trade back, to elp another team snag a Giant prize.

3. The Giants typically drafts "BPA" (Best Player Available). Which, in a way. makes a case for watching Ogletree.

river555
03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
dont we usually end up drafting guys we dont see at their pro days or even have any kind contact with?

StrahanSoup92
03-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Ogletree is the guy! Just once I would love to see the Giants pick the guy I want in the first round, haha.

Patrick Willis wasnt totally out of our reach, and we didnt go after him, HUGE MISTAKE! Dont pass on another talented inside linebacker Reese! Fix the weakest part of the D!

StrahanSoup92
03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I agree with the smoke screen argument.

1. The Giants rarely tips their hand and 9 times out of 10 uses the misdirection play when it comes down to draft picks.

2. The "Cowgirls are picking directly in front of the Giants. They will not hesitate to trade back, to elp another team snag a Giant prize.

3. The Giants typically drafts "BPA" (Best Player Available). Which, in a way. makes a case for watching Ogletree.

I was thinking bringing in Rivers and Connors was just a smoke screen, other teams behind NY will feel they dont need to trade up to get Ogletree.

TheAnalyst
03-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Ogletree is going to be a stud LB in the NFL. Hope it is with us. With that said, there are plenty of players to watch at the Georgia pro day. That D was stacked with NFL talent.

slipknottin
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Ogletree is the guy! Just once I would love to see the Giants pick the guy I want in the first round, haha.

Patrick Willis wasnt totally out of our reach, and we didnt go after him, HUGE MISTAKE! Dont pass on another talented inside linebacker Reese! Fix the weakest part of the D!

Willis was completely out of their reach. And it was Revis the giants attempted to trade up for. But the jets offered more

TCHOF
03-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't understand the smokescreen theory in this instance. It wasn't Ogeltree's pro-day, it was Georgia's pro day. For all anyone knows, JR could have been there watching other Georgia players. Not sure how his attendance would create a smokescreen about our intentions re: Ogeltree, even if it was JR's intent to create a smokescreen.

mattajw
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I like Ogletree, but lets face it we know how the Giants work on draft day! They will take the best player on the board at the time of there pick! I would hope though, the best player is a LB

tonyt830
03-22-2013, 12:03 PM
To add regarding Ogletree and his potential in the NFL. I have heard some of the guys on NFL network and other media outlets/websites mention that Ogletree may be better suited to the Will position in a NFL 4-3 defense. I think Mayock mentioned that he is more of a run and chase type backer that needs to be kept clean by the D-line in front of him, hence not as suited at the mike position.

No doubt Ogletree has some talent and skills, and he very well could have a solid career, and can possibly be a probowl player.

But he better get his head screwed on right, otherwise he could end up like many other talented players that come into the NFL, physically gifted, but lacks the discipline/character/maturity to have a successful career.

That said, I would not be upset if the Giants pass on him in the 1st rd of the draft.

Breezely
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't understand the smokescreen theory in this instance. It wasn't Ogeltree's pro-day, it was Georgia's pro day. For all anyone knows, JR could have been there watching other Georgia players. Not sure how his attendance would create a smokescreen about our intentions re: Ogeltree, even if it was JR's intent to create a smokescreen.

I agree with you. There is no telling who they were scouting. Maybe saying they are creating a smokescreen is highly conspiracy theory. But it still remains, that the Giants almost always go to the "BPA" strategy in the early rounds and draft for needs in the later rounds. And I also must add what another poster posted, the Giants are often quiet about who they will target.

TroyArcher
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM

You obviously didn't see LT play in College.

darrin99
03-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Whoosh.

Bobby1
03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Not to sound like a homer, but I've seen this kid play in high school before watching him at UGA. This kid played safety in high school and he was truly a beast and hit like a Mac truck. Ogletree will upgrade our linebacker position giving us the big play backer we have been waiting for!!!!!!

jomo
03-22-2013, 07:18 PM
You obviously didn't see LT play in College.lol truth!

Rat_bastich
03-23-2013, 06:41 AM

From our own forums:

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?27379-Lawrence-Taylor-college-tape

Captain Chaos
03-23-2013, 06:55 AM
I really don't see Ogletree being taken at 19...

bigblue58
03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-...eorgia-pro-day (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-draft/2013/3/21/4132208/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-jerry-reese-new-york-giants-alec-ogletreee-georgia-pro-day)

NO thank you! He's a converted safety who, according to his draft profile, is a "run and chase"player....which may be great in college, but he's not going to chase down NFL RB's and Receivers who will smoke him when they turn on their NFL jets!

Redeyejedi
03-23-2013, 08:56 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-...eorgia-pro-day (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-draft/2013/3/21/4132208/2013-nfl-draft-rumors-jerry-reese-new-york-giants-alec-ogletreee-georgia-pro-day) Georgia is loaded I wouldnt take anything from any particular player standpoint. Could be looking at Rambo the safety or Cornelius Washington the DE.

Redeyejedi
03-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Willis was completely out of their reach. And it was Revis the giants attempted to trade up for. But the jets offered more

Willis would of cost the Giants their 2008 first round pick to move up to get which is very easy to do in retrospect. Should of said Beason wouldnt of had to trade up for

Honestly now im glad we didnt get Revis the guy has been nothing but a headache. Giants wouldnt be paying him 15 million a year

darrin99
03-23-2013, 12:10 PM
NO thank you! He's a converted safety who, according to his draft profile, is a "run and chase"player....which may be great in college, but he's not going to chase down NFL RB's and Receivers who will smoke him when they turn on their NFL jets!

He seems to falling in some mock drafts. NFL Radio had him falling into the mid 20's on their draft show yesterday.

bigblue58
03-23-2013, 01:19 PM
He seems to falling in some mock drafts. NFL Radio had him falling into the mid 20's on their draft show yesterday.

I'm not surprised.
It's like drafting Greg Jones all over again...and he'd probably end up being waived like Greg Jones too!

TAILGATIN'
03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
NO thank you! He's a converted safety who, according to his draft profile, is a "run and chase"player....which may be great in college, but he's not going to chase down NFL RB's and Receivers who will smoke him when they turn on their NFL jets! haha. U obviously know nothing about ogletree if ur just reading a draft profile. Why bother commenting?

nygon3
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
2 bad there are no sinorice moss's in this years draft..(red ink) lmao.. I personally would love Ogletree at 19 but then again I would also like Werner, or any of the top OL prospects...but Ogletree's speed could definitely help against this stupid read option and increase the overall speed of our defense.. I hope we get some solid speedy guys on the defensive side of the ball... Gonna need it with Chocolate Chip Kelly

B&RWarrior
03-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Ulracher was a converted safety.

gabriel_1
03-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I think they could be very interested in Ogletree. The signing of Dan Connor doesn't affect Ogletree because he is going to play OLB. I think The rivers signing won't affect him as well because they would be on opposite sides. Ogletree can fit on the spot of Kiwanuka and let him move back to DE.

I think we might have interest on Bacari Rambo and Cornelius Washington

AGiantDynasty
03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't want ogletree?

He doesn't display enough instinct imo and while I don't think he will be a bust, I don't see anything special about him.

tonyt830
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't want ogletree?

He doesn't display enough instinct imo and while I don't think he will be a bust, I don't see anything special about him.I am with you for the most part. Ogletree may surprise and go on an have a solid or pro bowl type career. He is a good athlete, no doubt, but he may not be suited to play the mike backer position in a 4-3 D. Other analysts mention that he may be a better Will backer in a 4-3 D, since he is a run and chase type LB, not good at stacking and shedding.

But ultimately its up to Jerry Reese if he is his target at 19.

nycsportzfan
03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Did someone say Ogletree isn't instinctive? Hes mad instinctive, its one of his traits that i love dearly.. He instincts and athletic ability are my 2fave traits, because those 2things usually add up to bigtime plays...

darrin99
03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Did someone say Ogletree isn't instinctive? Hes mad instinctive, its one of his traits that i love dearly.. He instincts and athletic ability are my 2fave traits, because those 2things usually add up to bigtime plays...

I've seen scouting reports saying he has good instincts, and I've seen reports saying he has bad instincts. I was just reading his scouting report on kffl that stated he lacks instincts and called him a "chase down linebacker".

BlueReign
03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Amen bro; he's got some dog in him. This team sorely needs that

CowboysSuck
03-24-2013, 02:52 PM
We need s serious injection of young aggressive LB's. The FO needs to make a gamble in order to get a high reward. If we keep passing on talented LB's and filling the position with average FA's this defense will stand no chance. The Redskins are a perfect example of how to exploit this soft defense, we need fast and aggressive LB's and we need them now.

Im 100% on board with our 1st pick being a LB. Especially if its Ogletree

CowboysSuck
03-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Amen bro; he's got some dog in him. This team sorely needs that

We havent had that since Jessee Armstead, and before that, LT's era. From 2000 onward our LB corps has been the weak link

nycsportzfan
03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
I've seen scouting reports saying he has good instincts, and I've seen reports saying he has bad instincts. I was just reading his scouting report on kffl that stated he lacks instincts and called him a "chase down linebacker". Ya, i've seen him make plays that athletic ability could not make, and was made by knowing where a certain player is gonna be at that time, becasue of his football instincts.. Arriving at the exact right time, as if he knew what the opponet was thinking.. I'm not saying hes the best at that, but certainly has a blend of instincts and athletic ability...

giantsfan420
03-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Ya, i've seen him make plays that athletic ability could not make, and was made by knowing where a certain player is gonna be at that time, becasue of his football instincts.. Arriving at the exact right time, as if he knew what the opponet was thinking.. I'm not saying hes the best at that, but certainly has a blend of instincts and athletic ability...he constantly overpursues, takes wasted steps and incorrect angles...its just he makes a few stand out plays a game to erase all that from the casual fans memory

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-25-2013, 01:10 AM
he constantly overpursues, takes wasted steps and incorrect angles...its just he makes a few stand out plays a game to erase all that from the casual fans memory

coaching can and will fix that.

PRGiant
03-25-2013, 02:02 AM
I don't love Ogletree but I'm more afraid of Werner being a bust...

giantsfan420
03-25-2013, 03:29 AM
I don't love Ogletree but I'm more afraid of Werner being a bust...agree

bigblue58
03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
haha. U obviously know nothing about ogletree if ur just reading a draft profile. Why bother commenting?

And you know better than NFL scouts who write up these draft profiles? You going to try and tell me that you follow every College player on the field who enters the draft?What do you think people go by when evaluating college players?
Tell me some facts about Ogletree that you didn't read from some scouting report genius........and you know damn well you can't, because you're a blowhard who doesn't know anything more about him than I do!