PDA

View Full Version : Carr's Mobility Is A Giant Assett

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/03/carrs-mobility-is-a-giant-asset

There’s a lot that Tom Coughlin likes about having David Carr as Eli Manning’s backup. One of those things is Carr’s feet.

Excerpt: "With the proliferation of spread offenses in the NFL (including the one the Giants are likely to see with Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles next season) and the increasing number of mobile quarterbacks (like Washington’s Robert Griffin III), it helps the Giants to have a quarterback like Carr, who officially re-signed with the Giants on Thursday. Carr can literally “run” the opposing team’s offense.

Yes, Carr – a former No. 1 overall pick – is a quality backup and a good teammate. But the way he moves might be his most valuable trait to the Giants of all.

“I like the room with he and Eli and whoever else is in there,” Coughlin said in quotes provided by the Giants. “Don't forget, there's another side to David Carr. David Carr can run, he's fast, he's athletic, no matter who we're going to play he can be the opposition's quarterback and do it very well. He does a good job of it. He runs the option.” Read more...

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 04:03 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/03/carrs-mobility-is-a-giant-asset

There’s a lot that Tom Coughlin likes about having David Carr as Eli Manning’s backup. One of those things is Carr’s feet.

Excerpt: "With the proliferation of spread offenses in the NFL (including the one the Giants are likely to see with Chip Kelly’s Philadelphia Eagles next season) and the increasing number of mobile quarterbacks (like Washington’s Robert Griffin III), it helps the Giants to have a quarterback like Carr, who officially re-signed with the Giants on Thursday. Carr can literally “run” the opposing team’s offense.

Yes, Carr – a former No. 1 overall pick – is a quality backup and a good teammate. But the way he moves might be his most valuable trait to the Giants of all.

“I like the room with he and Eli and whoever else is in there,” Coughlin said in quotes provided by the Giants. “Don't forget, there's another side to David Carr. David Carr can run, he's fast, he's athletic, no matter who we're going to play he can be the opposition's quarterback and do it very well. He does a good job of it. He runs the option.” Read more...
Yes he's all that. Plus a few other qualities not mentioned.
Namely "burned out" and "gun-shy".

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Yes he's all that. Plus a few other qualities not mentioned.
Namely "burned out" and "gun-shy".

Everyone has their niche. I bet he wouldn 't have to look up "layette."

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Everyone has their niche
Of course. Carr's is holding a clipboard. As long as he doesn't have to play in a real game.

He has one of those games that look great on paper. Good arm, good mobility. But he just can't translate that on the field anymore. Its not really his fault. That moron Chris Palmer was his coach. He's famous for wrecking Tim Couch as well. The Houston organization left him out there to get killed with no O line. When you draft a QB #1, that's means you commit to him completely. You have to protect him and they didn't.
When he went to Carolina, he was already gone. Now we have a shell of what he once was, or could have been.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Of course. Carr's is holding a clipboard. As long as he doesn't have to play in a real game.

He has one of those games that look great on paper. Good arm, good mobility. But he just can't translate that on the field anymore. Its not really his fault. That moron Chris Palmer was his coach. He's famous for wrecking Tim Couch as well. The Houston organization left him out there to get killed with no O line. When you draft a QB #1, that's means you commit to him completely. You have to protect him and they didn't.
When he went to Carolina, he was already gone. Now we have a shell of what he once was, or could have been.

It seems his talents are better suited to the scout team and since we have to have one..... :rolleyes:

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 04:14 PM
It seems his talents are better suited to the scout team and since we have to have one..... :rolleyes:
Look...Maybe he would surprise us all. Maybe enough time has passed where he would actually hang in the pocket for more than a second or two. But I am troubled by the low priority that we seem to be placing on our back up QB. A win now team like us has to have a back up that can go out and win games.
While I can't know exactly what would happen with Carr, I truly doubt that he can do that except maybe against the worst few teams in the league.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Look...Maybe he would surprise us all. Maybe enough time has passed where he would actually hang in the pocket for more than a second or two. But I am troubled by the low priority that we seem to be placing on our back up QB. A win now team like us has to have a back up that can go out and win games.
While I can't know exactly what would happen with Carr, I truly doubt that he can do that except maybe against the worst few teams in the league.

We may have been lulled into the "Eli is indestructible" syndrome

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 04:23 PM
We may have been lulled into the "Eli is indestructible" syndrome
Same people who were lifetime members of the "Peyton Is Indestructible" Club.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 05:12 PM
I do wish they would bring someone in even if just to compete with Carr. I realize playing behind a QB like Eli is not a career enhancing job. But Rodgers played (or not) behind Favre for a few years and now he's elite. Is there anyone out there we could afford and who could actually notch wins if Eli were to be out for several weeks.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Same people who were lifetime members of the "Peyton Is Indestructible" Club.

There was not way to predict, but now it seems Irsay stepped on his crank.

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 05:23 PM
I do wish they would bring someone in even if just to compete with Carr. I realize playing behind a QB like Eli is not a career enhancing job. But Rodgers played (or not) behind Favre for a few years and now he's elite. Is there anyone out there we could afford and who could actually notch wins if Eli were to be out for several weeks.
Difference is the Packers drafted Rodgers in the first round to eventually replace Favre. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

As of now there is no-one on free agency worth a damn. Carr looks to be the best option right now, and sadly, that isn't saying much.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Difference is the Packers drafted Rodgers in the first round to eventually replace Favre. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

As of now there is no-one on free agency worth a damn. Carr looks to be the best option right now, and sadly, that isn't saying much.

I understand that, but how many guys who are 1st round picks are willing to wait that long?

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I understand that, but how many guys who are 1st round picks are willing to wait that long?
They'd simply have no choice.

AGiantDynasty
03-21-2013, 05:59 PM
I've always like Carr as a Giant. He played pretty well for us in his very limited time.

Good to know he helps as our scout teams qb. That could help our defense prepare.

As far as an actual back up I think he is fine till we draft a kid to learn from Eli. Its Eli or bust for now.

gmen0820
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
A "giant asset."

Reeeallllllllyyyyy....

gmen0820
03-21-2013, 06:50 PM
I've always like Carr as a Giant. He played pretty well for us in his very limited time.

Good to know he helps as our scout teams qb. That could help our defense prepare.

As far as an actual back up I think he is fine till we draft a kid to learn from Eli. Its Eli or bust for now.It's Eli or bust until he leaves.

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 07:02 PM
I'd like his greatest asset to remain at the sidelines. No need to showcase it. :)

Toadofsteel
03-21-2013, 07:38 PM
I think what the article is trying to get at is the fact that you have Romo (who basically impersonates Brett Favre for a living), RG3, and Michael Vick (or whoever they end up rolling with) as divisional rivals. Carr is great at preparing for that "run or pass" mentality. So yeah, he has found his niche... as a scout QB. Maybe having Painter on the roster is a sign that we'd have someone who could possibly actually step in. Part of the problem with Painter is that Peyton insisted on taking every single snap in practice. If Eli can be a little less overbearing with that, Painter could actually develop...

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
I think what the article is trying to get at is the fact that you have Romo (who basically impersonates Brett Favre for a living), RG3, and Michael Vick (or whoever they end up rolling with) as divisional rivals. Carr is great at preparing for that "run or pass" mentality. So yeah, he has found his niche... as a scout QB. Maybe having Painter on the roster is a sign that we'd have someone who could possibly actually step in. Part of the problem with Painter is that Peyton insisted on taking every single snap in practice. If Eli can be a little less overbearing with that, Painter could actually develop...
Are we talking about CURTIS Painter?
If we are...he absolutely sucks! Much worse than Carr.

GameTime
03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
ehh.....doesnt even matter really. As far as him moving he gets happy feet within 4 seconds if he is not throwing the ball. Even if no one is around him.
Good guy but he is done at QB IMO

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:37 PM
ehh.....doesnt even matter really. As far as him moving he gets happy feet within 4 seconds if he is not throwing the ball. Even if no one is around him.
Good guy but he is done at QB IMO
I'm not going to stand for this kind of Eli hate!

Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Redeyejedi
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM

When he went to Carolina, he was already gone. Now we have a shell of what he once was, or could have been.He was a great college prospect he really was. He would be the first pick in this draft

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:46 PM
He was a great college prospect he really was. He would be the first pick in this draft
He was ruined by a franchise that didn't build an offense around him. Especially an O line. The kid got killed and he suffers from a form of PTSD.....NFL style. He will never hang in the pocket. He will always run under pressure.
Again...not his fault. the kid was just mishandled.

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 09:01 PM
He was ruined by a franchise that didn't build an offense around him. Especially an O line. The kid got killed and he suffers from a form of PTSD.....NFL style. He will never hang in the pocket. He will always run under pressure.
Again...not his fault. the kid was just mishandled.
I suppose you could also say the same about the Bears and Jay Cutler. He displayed potential in Denver, but since landing in Chicago he's had bad o-lines and worse receivers. The situation has only made his flaws worse.

It took them until last year to finally get him a WR (his old one, no doubt). Crazy.