PDA

View Full Version : Eli and Cruz!

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I am in class right now so I cannot post the link. (I am on my phone haha) but I saw on twitter about it and there was an article on Bleacher Report that I saw soon after. I am aware that bleacher report is a pretty sketchy place to get reliable info. I believe it was an article on NBC sports where Eli was in an interview and made the following statement. I cannot look too much into it at the moment because I have notes to take. I am sure that you guys can locate the article that I am talking about. You guys are crazy quick to post stuff, I love it!

“I do, I do. I think (that’s) what I have to believe and what I want to believe, just because he’s such an important part of our offense,” Manning said. “I think he wants to be in New York, you know, in his hometown. So I hope it all works out.” that is Eli's quote he had in an interview when asked about Cruz.

GameTime
03-20-2013, 01:12 PM
He no doubt wants him back.....

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
You sure he won't settle for an extra first rounder? /red

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 01:17 PM
He no doubt wants him back.....Well I would hope that the entire team would want him back. I am hoping that this possibly could make the Giants make more of a push to keep him off the market. I don't really see anyone tossing away a 1st rounder for him. Especially since the Vikes got Jennings and I believe someone posted a thread saying that the Rams are out of the running as well. Those were the two teams I was pretty nervous about making a move on him..

wayoutwest
03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Eli was on Mike and Mike and said something along those lines.

G-Men Surg.
03-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Like Eli I hope he's a Giant next year and also hope he comes in like the happy camper we all know he is.

Carter.525
03-20-2013, 01:29 PM
take a pay cut Eli..

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
take a pay cut Eli..Eli should not have to take a paycut, but he might.

Broadway Blue
03-20-2013, 01:36 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/20/new-york-giants-eli-manning-hopeful-victor-cruz-returns-open-to-re-working-his-contract/

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
He no doubt wants him back.....

I believe the day Cruz talked to TC at the TIMEX Center he also talked with Eli and that's how the change to Tom Condon evolved.

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 01:38 PM
He at least has was earned his contract unlike the head scratching contract Joe Flacco got... you see how it has changed his team. Eli could take one and it would be a great thing for the team but I do not see it happening and he really doesn't have to bc his level of play...

EJ Blue
03-20-2013, 01:38 PM
stopped reading at bleacher report

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:39 PM
take a pay cut Eli..

Why?

DaKraken
03-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Note to JR - gogogogogogogogogo

EJ Blue
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
why would he need to re-work his contract? Just because other people are doing doesn't necessarily mean it would benefit the Giants in the long run.

Carter.525
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Why?

to re-sign Cruz..

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/20/new-york-giants-eli-manning-hopeful-victor-cruz-returns-open-to-re-working-his-contract/

"Add New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants quarterback Eli Manning (http://www.giants101.com/tag/eli-manning/) to the number of people who have absolutely no idea what the future holds for wide receiver Victor Cruz (http://www.giants101.com/tag/victor-cruz/).

While making the media rounds on Wednesday morning, Manning said that Cruz switching to agent Tom Condon (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-condon/), who also represents the Pro Bowl quarterback, will only help the ongoing negotiations. He also said, jokingly, that he text Condon to "make sure" the situation works out.

One interesting point Manning did make was how well Cruz fits into the Giants' offensive system and how he'd be taking a chance to seek a similar fit elsewhere.

"He fits very well into our offense. … You never know, if you go to another offense, maybe it doesn't fit as well," Manning said.

But does Easy-E, who has already begun his 2013 workouts, truly believe Cruz will be back this season and beyond?

"I do. I think that's what I have to and want to believe," Manning said.

Finally, Manning also said he's open to restructuring or re-working his contract if it meant helping the organization, but admits he's not yet been approached to do that."

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:44 PM
to re-sign Cruz..

He should take a pay cut to keep Cruz? An actual pay cut?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:47 PM
I hope the last person they restructure is Eli unless if involves an extension

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
stopped reading at bleacher reportLOL I knew someone would rip me for it haha. I hate using them for anything bc of their creditibility is sketcky at best... I like to go on their and get a good laugh sometimes looking at their trademark slideshows haha.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
LOL I knew someone would rip me for it haha. I hate using them for anything bc of their creditibility is sketcky at best... I like to go on their and get a good laugh sometimes looking at their trademark slideshows haha.

Since they are reporting (quoting) what Eli said, I think we can accept it for what it is.

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 01:51 PM
why would he need to re-work his contract? Just because other people are doing doesn't necessarily mean it would benefit the Giants in the long run.Correct. It doesn't benefit the Giants in the long run. It only benefits them right now.

Carter.525
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
He should take a pay cut to keep Cruz? An actual pay cut?

bad idea?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:02 PM
bad idea?

It's illogical. I'm not the biggest Eli fan, but he is entitled to every dime included in his contract. Now if you mean he should "restructure", that's a different situation but I'd still be against that unless it involved an extension (like Brady's) so that we get CAP relief now and down the road. Eli's CAP hit every year is now at $20M, we can't take that track again, making it rise even higher.

Toadofsteel
03-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Eli has to have thought about what happened to Brady... Brady most likely took that massive paycut specifically to keep Welker, and then Belicheck lowballs him all the way to the Broncos. What would happen if Eli took a paycut to keep Cruz, and then JR uses it to resign John Q. Dip**** the free safety while letting Cruz walk?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Eli has to have thought about what happened to Brady... Brady most likely took that massive paycut specifically to keep Welker, and then Belicheck lowballs him all the way to the Broncos. What would happen if Eli took a paycut to keep Cruz, and then JR uses it to resign John Q. Dip**** the free safety while letting Cruz walk?

Brady did not take a "paycut."

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Brady did not take a "paycut."

whether or not he took a paycut from what he was making previously...he took much less than his market value.

G-Men Surg.
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Agreed. Eating 20 mill cap salary money per year is enough to see it just go up with another restructure.

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Agreed. Eating 20 mill cap salary money per year is enough to see it just go up with another restructure.

exactly. I think we're waiting as long as possible before we extend eli. Learned our lesson the hard way.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
whether or not he took a paycut from what he was making previously...he took much less than his market value.

It was ALL guaranteed, not too bad a parting gift from Mr. Kraft

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM

He was already restructured ... any further would almost have to include an extension (which I'd be fine with).

Eli TO Shockey
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM

Yea but even if it wasnt..it's hard to believe brady would be cut at any point during his contract.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:14 PM

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Yea but even if it wasnt..it's hard to believe brady would be cut at any point during his contract.

Exactly, which is why the extension was very lucrative for Brady and very helpful to the team.

JJC7301
03-20-2013, 02:24 PM
why would he need to re-work his contract? Just because other people are doing doesn't necessarily mean it would benefit the Giants in the long run.
+1. He reworks his contract and the Giants will owe him $50 million for next year. Just leave Eli's contract alone.

JJC7301
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I was wondering if NFL contracts could be guaranteed in full because I never hear of any long term contracts being so. Maybe the Cruz would accept a 6 year contract at $5 million/year, but fully guaranteed. Wouldn't be a big cap hit for a WR of his talent and would guarantee him $30 million which is probably more than most NFL players get guaranteed.

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 02:35 PM
What else would he say? "No, I'm not going to listen or help the team to figure things out if they come to me." Once you've heard this from him, you know there's a contract dispute and he's ready to move on from New York. :)

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:42 PM
He was already restructured ... any further would almost have to include an extension (which I'd be fine with).

Jerry, Kruunch say go for it

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
I was wondering if NFL contracts could be guaranteed in full because I never hear of any long term contracts being so. Maybe the Cruz would accept a 6 year contract at $5 million/year, but fully guaranteed. Wouldn't be a big cap hit for a WR of his talent and would guarantee him $30 million which is probably more than most NFL players get guaranteed.

A team who guaranteed a FULL contract would be committing suicide. This is an extension for a player who has been their franchise and they are making sure he leaves with a great parting gift when the time comes.

Kruunch
03-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Jerry, Kruunch say go for it

Yes, I'm officially green-lighting this move.

ThatNiCcA56
03-20-2013, 02:48 PM
There's no reason to touch Eli's contract this year. The Giants aren't gonna go out there and sign anymore FA's. Anyway in the next 2 years we have a lot of money coming off the books. So capwise we should be just fine and hopefully not next year but the year after the cap goes way up.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Yes, I'm officially green-lighting this move.

I'm waiting for Jerry to give you the nod

gumby74
03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Correct. It doesn't benefit the Giants in the long run. It only benefits them right now. long run = when Eli is past his prime and going down hill. It also means that we're probably not contenders anymore. When that happens, I have no problems being 100 million over the salary cap and going 0-16.

Rudyy
03-20-2013, 02:59 PM
long run = when Eli is past his prime and going down hill. It also means that we're probably not contenders anymore. When that happens, I have no problems being 100 million over the salary cap and going 0-16.Or next year..

rebelfan1966
03-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I think it was admirable to offer...

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Eli should not need to restructure in order to get cruz signed... Cruz IMO is coming off a little ungrateful. You would think that he would be a little more lenient with the NYG since we were the team that brought him in as an UDFA and allowed him to eventually be a star on our team... if it comes to the situation where we lose him I think we will manage. Eli is a special QB, he probably would make a trash can look like a serviceable WR

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
eli has already said he would consider restructuring to help keep cruz

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9075471/eli-manning-willing-rework-deal-keep-victor-cruz-new-york-giants

ELI_HOF_NYG
03-20-2013, 04:28 PM
ungrateful? his first 2 season totals are on par if not better than some current and past greats...jerry rice, calvin johnson, larry fitzgerald to name a few. this is a business not the little rascals. he should get paid, deserves to get paid fairly, and should try to get every dime he can, NFL careers can end in the blink of an eye(see steve smith). so hypothetically when the giants decide to dump him and not honor the rest of his contract when he gets old are you gonna say the giants are now ungrateful and should continue to pay him, even if the salary now outweighs his performance? C'MON MAN!!!

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
ungrateful? his first 2 season totals are on par if not better than some current and past greats...jerry rice, calvin johnson, larry fitzgerald to name a few. this is a business not the little rascals. he should get paid, deserves to get paid fairly, and should try to get every dime he can, NFL careers can end in the blink of an eye(see steve smith). so hypothetically when the giants decide to dump him and not honor the rest of his contract when he gets old are you gonna say the giants are now ungrateful and should continue to pay him, even if the salary now outweighs his performance? C'MON MAN!!!You are blowing what I said out of proportion. He should be paid well and it isn't happening at the moment, he is young and we were the team who gave him a shot. I am just saying that he seems like a genuinely nice guy and I find it surprising that he is making it this tough to sign him. We don't know the whole story I suppose, maybe his agent is convincing him to wait for the money. I just do not want to see him turn into a Chris Johnson type of deal where he holds out for all of this money and then once he gets it the production is not what they expected when they signed him. I don't think that will happen and I pray it doesn't. Do you at least understand what I am trying to say? Ungrateful was probably a poor word choice...

ashleymarie
03-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Cruz and Eli = a winning duo. Eli knows this. Just maybe Eli has his finger on a stronger pulse from Cruz than others do.

Morehead State
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I am in class right now so I cannot post the link. (I am on my phone haha) but I saw on twitter about it and there was an article on Bleacher Report that I saw soon after. I am aware that bleacher report is a pretty sketchy place to get reliable info. I believe it was an article on NBC sports where Eli was in an interview and made the following statement. I cannot look too much into it at the moment because I have notes to take. I am sure that you guys can locate the article that I am talking about. You guys are crazy quick to post stuff, I love it!

I do, I do. I think (thats) what I have to believe and what I want to believe, just because hes such an important part of our offense, Manning said. I think he wants to be in New York, you know, in his hometown. So I hope it all works out. that is Eli's quote he had in an interview when asked about Cruz.

This is not news. There is not credible scenario where Cruz is NOT a Giant next year.
Its essentially a mathematical impossibility.
I could never understand the dread that somehow he wasn't going to be.

Jahh
03-20-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm just not sure why its news that Eli said this.. What else would he say?

NYGfanSTRICK
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
I posted it because Eli is usually a pretty quite guy when it comes to media. Besides the whole elite QB story you don't see him saying all that much to the media. I posted it because I like how he showed that he wants him back and maybe him coming out with this then mayne the FO will make it happen sooner than later

JimC
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM

I do, I do. I think (thats) what I have to believe and what I want to believe, just because hes such an important part of our offense, Manning said. I think he wants to be in New York, you know, in his hometown. So I hope it all works out. that is Eli's quote he had in an interview when asked about Cruz.

How does this info substantiate the title of your post?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Eli should not need to restructure in order to get cruz signed... Cruz IMO is coming off a little ungrateful. You would think that he would be a little more lenient with the NYG since we were the team that brought him in as an UDFA and allowed him to eventually be a star on our team... if it comes to the situation where we lose him I think we will manage. Eli is a special QB, he probably would make a trash can look like a serviceable WR

How is Cruz being "ungrateful"? Every player is entitled to negotiate the best contract they can. Some, even many, never get a second chance. The Giants didn't "allow him to eventually be a star." He took advantage of the opportunities he was given with his God given talents. He has played for chump change for his first three years. That's how it goes in the NFL. Now that he has proven he can play with the best of them, he is entitled to a fair payday.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Cruz and Eli = a winning duo. Eli knows this. Just maybe Eli has his finger on a stronger pulse from Cruz than others do.

NO ONE has a better finger than fans! :rolleyes:

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 05:33 PM
This is not news. There is not credible scenario where Cruz is NOT a Giant next year.
Its essentially a mathematical impossibility.
I could never understand the dread that somehow he wasn't going to be.

Beyond that it's close to 85% (IMO) that Cruz will sign a long term deal before UFA rears its ugly head.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
I think it was admirable to offer...

No question to show he's a team player, which has never been in question. But restructuring is not a sacrifice for the player.

Morehead State
03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
No question to show he's a team player, which has never been in question. But restructuring is not a sacrifice for the player.
"I'm willing to take more money up front so the team can defer it more over the life of the contract to help our 2012 cap situation"

That's all that means. Can't blame him of course.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
"I'm willing to take more money up front so the team can defer it more over the life of the contract to help our 2012 cap situation"

That's all that means. Can't blame him of course.

And now he needs money for a new layette!

Morehead State
03-20-2013, 06:04 PM
And now he needs money for a new layette!
I'm man enough to admit that I had to Google "layette"
I would imagine its the first time that word has been used on the giants MB.....Well done.

But I'm determined that it won't be the last.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm man enough to admit that I had to Google "layette"
I would imagine its the first time that word has been used on the giants MB.....Well done.

:cool:

Morehead State
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
:cool:
All part of my growth as a human being.
(and for a guy who's emotional age is plummeting since his kids went out on their own....that's important)

Baby Bulls
03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Morehead,

Kids that old and you didn't know what 'layette' was. ROFLOL. ;)

Morehead State
03-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Morehead,

Kids that old and you didn't know what 'layette' was. ROFLOL. ;)
I thought it was having sex with a very small woman.

tonyt830
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Eli is a great guy and team player. But like others mentioned, a restructure would just push the money to next year, and the year after etc. Now an extension/re-worked deal would be fine.

I'm still waiting to hear of Diehl taking a paycut to help with the cap. I wonder if the Giants brass has approached anyone else regarding their contract, paycut or restructure. After all of these signings in FA, plus the tenders for both Browns and Cruz, I wonder what our cap number looks like as of now.

I see several posters mentioned in the neighborhood of 4 to 5 mil, is what we will need for our rookie class.

G-Men Surg.
03-20-2013, 06:52 PM
exactly. I think we're waiting as long as possible before we extend eli. Learned our lesson the hard way.
Will see how it goes bud, I guess there's a solution in-between and Reese will get Eli to play along.

tcseacliff
03-20-2013, 06:59 PM
just goes to show you what a class act Eli is! anything to help the team, even his own contract, i say kudos to you Eli! team player!

G-Men Surg.
03-20-2013, 07:01 PM
lol

Drez
03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Correct. It doesn't benefit the Giants in the long run. It only benefits them right now.An extension would benefit the team in the long run.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 07:11 PM

You dip**** LMAO

OR a very small.........

Baby Bulls
03-20-2013, 07:18 PM
RF,

Probably not the thread for this, but since you brought it up, I'm curious as to why you're not a big ELI fan.

The guy has already had a remarkable career, yeah, not the greatest ever, but he somehow, usually finds a way to get it done, sometimes, without a lot of help.

I'm starting to believe he will re-structure, with an extension, which will give the team more flexibility, not just this year, but also beyond.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 07:32 PM
RF,

Probably not the thread for this, but since you brought it up, I'm curious as to why you're not a big ELI fan.

The guy has already had a remarkable career, yeah, not the greatest ever, but he somehow, usually finds a way to get it done, sometimes, without a lot of help.

I'm starting to believe he will re-structure, with an extension, which will give the team more flexibility, not just this year, but also beyond.

I support Eli as our franchise QB. He's taken us to two Super Bowls. I struggle with his inconsistency. In the same manner I struggle with Nicks' never playing a full season and Cruz dropping too many passes. With all three I wonder how awesome this offense would be if they, individually and collectively, all had their A Game at the same time. I'm not talking about individual games but seasons.

Having said all of that, I am not disappointed that we have Eli. I also wouldn't want any other current QB to take his place.

Flip Empty
03-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Eli didn't specifically say "restructure", he said he'd consider anything the Giants wanted to try.

Flip Empty
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
He at least has was earned his contract unlike the head scratching contract Joe Flacco got... you see how it has changed his team. Eli could take one and it would be a great thing for the team but I do not see it happening and he really doesn't have to bc his level of play...

Flacco won a Super Bowl. Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks get paid.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM

+1

miked1958
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
It's illogical. I'm not the biggest Eli fan, but he is entitled to every dime included in his contract. Now if you mean he should "restructure", that's a different situation but I'd still be against that unless it involved an extension (like Brady's) so that we get CAP relief now and down the road. Eli's CAP hit every year is now at $20M, we can't take that track again, making it rise even higher.yea the only way it would work is if he does it like Brady. Extend and take less for the New Years in the contract and push out the 20s for this yr and next.. It's got to be done to where the cap hit is only around 10m a year like Brady's

BigBlueAllDay
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Aaron Rodgers: Then why am I still making less than $10 million a year since wining my Superbowl? :confused:

AllHailEli
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I support Eli as our franchise QB. He's taken us to two Super Bowls. I struggle with his inconsistency. In the same manner I struggle with Nicks' never playing a full season and Cruz dropping too many passes. With all three I wonder how awesome this offense would be if they, individually and collectively, all had their A Game at the same time. I'm not talking about individual games but seasons.

Having said all of that, I am not disappointed that we have Eli. I also wouldn't want any other current QB to take his place.

If we have perfect players, we'd be closer to 18-1 rather than a flawed, gritty team that won two Super Bowl in 5 years. :)

Flip Empty
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Aaron Rodgers: Then why am I still making less than $10 million a year since wining my Superbowl? :confused:

He'll get his money - probably more than Flacco.

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 08:13 PM

How much does cheese cost, really?

Dwinsballgames
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
How much does cheese cost, really?

plus he get's free auto insurance

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
plus he get's free auto insurance

He's already over compensated then

NYG4lifeNYK
03-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Meaning if we have to pay him a little more than we wanted to just to keep him, I think well do just that.

I don't think the Giants would get rid of Eli's biggest security blanket..... I really don't.

To me all signs point to Victor resigning.

"Ive been sending a few texts to (Condon), 'Yeah, hey, get this done. Make sure he stays with us,' " Manning said, half-joking, at a Samsung spring launch event at the Museum of American Finance today. "Obviously, I want Victor back with the Giants. ... I check the papers every morning to make sure no one else has offered him a contract."

"It is nerve-wracking, though," Manning continued. "He is anxious; I know he has been dealing with this contract issue for a long time, last year and end of this I know he wants it just settled and wants to get back to playing football and just worrying about that."

"I think, obviously, Tom is the best in the business," Manning said. "He has worked with the Giants on a number of players, so I think they trust him. And he knows what the best way (is) to get Victor to stay with the Giants for hopefully a long time."

drewz
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152364/article/eli-manning-offers-to-help-ny-giants-sign-victor-cruz?campaign=Twitter_atl

The Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) haven't asked Manning to restructure his deal, which runs through 2015 and counts $21 million against the salary cap in 2013, but he's willing to.
"If the Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) want to work something out," Manning told The Associated Press on Wednesday, "I am always up for listening, figuring out what I can do to help the cause."
(Tom Brady (http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/profile) might have said those same words about Wes Welker (http://www.nfl.com/player/weswelker/2505790/profile), but we won't go there.)
Manning knows what he has in Cruz. He's the only wide receiver since Manning became the starter to lead the Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) in receiving yards in consecutive years with 1,000-plus yard seasons. Only Plaxico Burress (http://www.nfl.com/player/plaxicoburress/2504253/profile) (2006 to 2007) has surpassed Cruz's 19 combined touchdowns over a two-year span in that time.

I'd prefer an extension as a restructure.. but I guess anything helps

LayLow
03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Maybe Eli is willing to give him some "under the table" cash to stick around.

RoanokeFan
I am convinced the change in Victor's position/agent started with his talk with TC and Eli two weeks ago or so.

RoanokeFan
Maybe Eli is willing to give him some "under the table" cash to stick around.

Not likely or necessary as violates the CBA

giantsfan420
03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
nah its a bad thing and will hurt cruz's chance at returning...when is it ever a good thing for a qb to want a buddy/wr to return?

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 09:43 PM
nah its a bad thing and will hurt cruz's chance at returning...when is it ever a good thing for a qb to want a buddy/wr to return?

What do you mean?

giantsfan420
03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
What do you mean?i was responding to the thread the OP created about Eli and saying how he hopes cruz returns is a good thing. i made a lame attempt at sarcasm...now its even more lame since u merged the threads lol

RoanokeFan
03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
i was responding to the thread the OP created about Eli and saying how he hopes cruz returns is a good thing. i made a lame attempt at sarcasm...now its even more lame since u merged the threads lol

Ahhh

njersey
03-20-2013, 10:22 PM
take a pay cut Eli..

Why should Eli take a pay cut?

NYGfanSTRICK
03-21-2013, 03:17 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/eli-manning-believes-victor-cruz-will-be-a-giant-in-2013/

To the few who were saying this had no form of news or how did this thread substantiate anything that I said in the thread, here is the article that I was reading. I could not post the site because I was in a biology lab at the time and I had to do all the work because the professor gave me 3 bums to work with because I have the highest grade in the class.... Anyways I do think Cruz will be a Giant next year unless something really surprising happens with some mystery dark horse team. I posted the thread because basically half the threads on the "talk about giants football" forum is about the Victor Cruz situation. I did not see a proper place that this would fit in because all of the active ones on the first page were opinion pages about Cruz telling students to work hard or Cruz vs. Nicks, etc...

Sorry if I aggravated some of the more veteran posters on here. I was trying to get the story to you guys because I thought that it was a pretty nice read and good to hear Eli make statements like that because he is usually a pretty quiet guy.

Also when I was saying that Cruz was being ungrateful I was in class and I couldn't think of another synonym that would have been close enough to what I was talking about. A better word that I should have used would probably be insensible. Not that he does not care for the team because I truly think he loves the Giants and should owe them some credit for giving him a shot. I am saying that only based off the fact that we do not have a ton of money to throw around this off season and I am sure that he can see that there are plenty of veterans on the team who are taking pay cuts and such to make them have the most successful off season possible so that they can go on another playoff run and be a contender to win it all again. I know that he does deserve to be paid well because his play the last two seasons is pretty remarkable honestly, but I mean this is not baseball where you can just hand out unreal contracts to half of your team. The players have to be conscious that they can still get their money but not put their team in a bind where they will be tight on money for quite a while. I might get ripped for all of this but it is my opinion and I have seen some pretty outrageous opinions stated on here and I do not think the points that I am making are really that hard to ask out of him. He is a very young player and I am sure that we will lock him up for a pretty long time but I am sure that in 2-3 years we can give him a pay raise if he continues to perform on the high level that he has been on. I am not trying to sound like a Cruz hater because that could not be farther from the truth. I have loved watching the kid play and he has been one of my favorite if not my favorite player since he broke into the starting lineup. Ever since he went off vs. the jets in the preseason where he had like 3 TD's and one of them was the one handed catch down the left sideline that he took to house for a big play I was always wanting him to get some action in the regular season. I think since I am such a big fan of him I make these statements just off of the fact that I have seen what agents and success can do to certain athletes. Chris Johnson is a perfect example, he held out for his pay day then once he got the money he just did not look like the same player....

I hear it all the time from Ex NFL players on NFL network etc. saying that when they are faced up vs someone who just got a huge contract or play that same position that they focus a lot more on that player outplay that player than they can make the argument that they should get those type of numbers when their contract is up.

giantsfan420
03-21-2013, 04:17 AM
nygfanstrick, great post. i enjoy reading well written, well thought out opinions. i agree with everything u said. i know what u mean with ur last paragraph too, Fauria on First Take has made that exact comment/sentiment.
and ungrateful is too strong a word, i agree. i still used it anyways bc it does reflect the situation a bit. i mean eli did set the whole thing in motion with that 2011 preseaon text to cruz. if it werent for the nyg and eli, cruz woulda never gotten a shot to display his talents that do warrant a nice pay day. i like ur point about cruz having to be aware of the vets taking pay cuts left and right and eli saying hed work with his contract all so cruz can get signed...seems to me he could meet the team half way, but whose to say he isnt and that they're trying to define what half way is...

PRGiant
03-21-2013, 04:54 AM

WOW! Cruz has played for Peanuts for 3 years now. This is the contract he has to get paid. No one knows what he's asking for and no one knows what the Giants have offered.

NYGfanSTRICK
03-21-2013, 05:00 AM
nygfanstrick, great post. i enjoy reading well written, well thought out opinions. i agree with everything u said. i know what u mean with ur last paragraph too, Fauria on First Take has made that exact comment/sentiment.
and ungrateful is too strong a word, i agree. i still used it anyways bc it does reflect the situation a bit. i mean eli did set the whole thing in motion with that 2011 preseaon text to cruz. if it werent for the nyg and eli, cruz woulda never gotten a shot to display his talents that do warrant a nice pay day. i like ur point about cruz having to be aware of the vets taking pay cuts left and right and eli saying hed work with his contract all so cruz can get signed...seems to me he could meet the team half way, but whose to say he isnt and that they're trying to define what half way is...

Thanks man I appreciate it. I mean Cruz should probably get in the Welker contract range IMO. Cruz has more upside but he also has only played 2 years for us and we do not know if he can keep it up year after year like Welker did. They are similar players in the aspect that they are creative/crafty route runners who have great hands. Cruz does have the advantage that he is younger and he has better yards after catch potential and just straight up big play potential. I will post the two of their stats, I will use both of their stats from their entire NFL career.

SEASON
TEAM
GP
REC
TGTS
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
FD
FUM
LST

[/URL]
NYG (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants)

[URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants"]NYG (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants)

This is according to ESPN too by the way in case anyone has any questions where I got the information lol.

SEASON
TEAM
GP
REC
TGTS
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
FD
FUM
LST

MIA (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/mia/miami-dolphins)

-

MIA (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/mia/miami-dolphins)

NE (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots)

Both have very impressive stats and they both have a ton of catches while being over 1,000 lately. Cruz has a slight advantage in TD's and AVG. Welker has about 30+ catches per year more and has had more yards than him both years... I do think that the upside for Cruz is much higher than Welker at the moment. On the other hand Welker has proved that he can play on this level year after year. Once he left Miami he pretty much was a 100+ catch 1000+ yard guy. Welker got 2 yrs 12 million, I do not think that it is that much to ask that Cruz gets around those numbers and probably a little more because of the age of the player and the potential he has. I honestly do not know much about the Giants cap situation and what Cruz is looking for compared to what the Giants have offered to this time. I am sure we could make a Welker like deal happen for Cruz and I think both sides should and would feel satisfied with the negotiations if they agreed to around this type of money. That way the Giants can focus on the draft and trying to get other players we need to re-sign or pick up other below the radar FA's like we have done this off season.

PRGiant
03-21-2013, 05:01 AM
How about, if it wheren't for Cruz, we don't win the SB. The Giants are being ungrategul! Oh my! You can turn that phrase both ways. The Giants have their number and Cruz has his. I hope they meet somewhere in the middle and keep him here a long time...

NYGfanSTRICK
03-21-2013, 05:06 AM
WOW! Cruz has played for Peanuts for 3 years now. This is the contract he has to get paid. No one knows what he's asking for and no one knows what the Giants have offered.

Read my most recent posts that I have had I will explain what I really meant to say. I can see that that post you quoted of me looks pretty ignorant on my part. I am a huge Cruz fan and want him back just as bad as everyone else... Wow I kind of like getting bashed sometimes and having to back up your opinions. It is different from other boards that I have been on but it allows people to give you alternate perspectives to what you might think and maybe you might actually agree with some of the stuff I said in the last few posts on this thread rather than that rushed poorly worded post I had in class.

NYGfanSTRICK
03-21-2013, 05:10 AM
How about, if it wheren't for Cruz, we don't win the SB. The Giants are being ungrategul! Oh my! You can turn that phrase both ways. The Giants have their number and Cruz has his. I hope they meet somewhere in the middle and keep him here a long time...

Valid point here too, he was a crucial part of the SB run. He was someone that Eli could trust that would be able to get open on 3rd downs and he was just all around solid. Either way you look at it the deal needs to get done and they need to negotiate to a point where they can meet at a middle ground where both sides are happy.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Valid point here too, he was a crucial part of the SB run. He was someone that Eli could trust that would be able to get open on 3rd downs and he was just all around solid. Either way you look at it the deal needs to get done and they need to negotiate to a point where they can meet at a middle ground where both sides are happy. Victor Cruz will certainly be a Giant in 2013 and will very likely be a Giant long after.

GCGiant
03-21-2013, 07:59 AM
It doesn't matter much to me, because I have seen people come and go...Cruz might still be a nobody...but the one constant has been Eli. So...if I am VC, it is a big part in my thinking that I may leave :NY and become a nobody in KC or something. This has to be weighing heavy on his mind as they make a lot of homemade soup out there.

NYGfanSTRICK
03-21-2013, 08:19 AM
It doesn't matter much to me, because I have seen people come and go...Cruz might still be a nobody...but the one constant has been Eli. So...if I am VC, it is a big part in my thinking that I may leave :NY and become a nobody in KC or something. This has to be weighing heavy on his mind as they make a lot of homemade soup out there.

I would really hate to see him go but I think that we would surprisingly be a lot better off than people think. People are making it sound like on this board that if by some travesty Vic goes to another team that we might as well forfeit... We have a pretty solid core of WR's. Nicks could be a top 5 no doubt in my mind if he is healthy, Randle played well and has great upside, Murphy is a pretty good player but has been suffering from being a WR on teams that it is hard to succeed doing it really.. Jernigan is quick as hell and I think he could be a pretty solid 4th WR and sometimes slot guy. Most people forget that he had the no OTA's etc... and he was in a totally different offense in College. He said last year at the beginning of the year he was still trying to master the playbook because all of the terminology is different and the routes have different names and ran at different yard lengths etc. Plus there are some pretty nice WR's in the draft if we really needed to replace Cruz.

I do not see that happening realistically but sometimes you have to look at things and see what you would do in the worst possible case. You see how it would shake up the team and how you could respond from the blow. I know we would definitely miss him but I think that we would manage pretty well because of Eli

gmen46
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
I would really hate to see him go but I think that we would surprisingly be a lot better off than people think. People are making it sound like on this board that if by some travesty Vic goes to another team that we might as well forfeit... We have a pretty solid core of WR's. Nicks could be a top 5 no doubt in my mind if he is healthy, Randle played well and has great upside, Murphy is a pretty good player but has been suffering from being a WR on teams that it is hard to succeed doing it really.. Jernigan is quick as hell and I think he could be a pretty solid 4th WR and sometimes slot guy. Most people forget that he had the no OTA's etc... and he was in a totally different offense in College. He said last year at the beginning of the year he was still trying to master the playbook because all of the terminology is different and the routes have different names and ran at different yard lengths etc. Plus there are some pretty nice WR's in the draft if we really needed to replace Cruz.

I do not see that happening realistically but sometimes you have to look at things and see what you would do in the worst possible case. You see how it would shake up the team and how you could respond from the blow. I know we would definitely miss him but I think that we would manage pretty well because of Eli

Some legitimate points here (except those regarding Jernigan--you have to get over him, he's not happening to the extent all you JJ boys are hoping for).

The issue, however, is not if we could "manage pretty well because of Eli" if Cruz leaves. I think we all (at least 99% of us) agree and believe that.

Rather, the issue is we don't want to just "manage". We want to excel, and to make it to another Super Bowl soon. Cruz, along with Nicks and possibly Randle, will give us the better chance of that happening with him on the team vs him not being on the team..

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Some legitimate points here (except those regarding Jernigan--you have to get over him, he's not happening to the extent all you JJ boys are hoping for).

The issue, however, is not if we could "manage pretty well because of Eli" if Cruz leaves. I think we all (at least 99% of us) agree and believe that.

Rather, the issue is we don't want to just "manage". We want to excel, and to make it to another Super Bowl soon. Cruz, along with Nicks and possibly Randle, will give us the better chance of that happening with him on the team vs him not being on the team..

+1 The deck is being stacked against Cruz lol

Both owners, TC, Reese, Eli and now Wilson and Snee pressing for him to be a part of this team for years to come. It's going to happen, it's a negotiation and, honestly, there is no rush, except for us fans. Tom Condon is going to give Victor what he didn't have before and that is the benefit of "knowing your adversary" and being able to work closely with Jerry Reese to make this a win-win for all concerned.

Joe Morrison
03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/eli_ready_to_restructure_deal_to_Dt20naGYTufnp00Cm NdFLO

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
+1 The deck is being stacked against Cruz lol

Both owners, TC, Reese, Eli and now Wilson and Snee pressing for him to be a part of this team for years to come. It's going to happen, it's a negotiation and, honestly, there is no rush, except for us fans. Tom Condon is going to give Victor what he didn't have before and that is the benefit of "knowing your adversary" and being able to work closely with Jerry Reese to make this a win-win for all concerned.

It's all good but Wilson should make sure he'll be here a long time himself, cuz then what would be the point? Eli could say all he wants, he'll be here a long time. And Tom C is going nowhere after this except retirement.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 08:18 PM
It's all good but Wilson should make sure he'll be here a long time himself, cuz then what would be the point? Eli could say all he wants, he'll be here a long time. And Tom C is going nowhere after this except retirement.

Wilson will be here at least through his rookie contract. Isn't that 3 more years?

Drez
03-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Wilson will be here at least through his rookie contract. Isn't that 3 more years?4 more, I believe. IIRC, first round contracts are 5 years.

AllHailEli
03-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Wilson will be here at least through his rookie contract. Isn't that 3 more years?

He's a rookie. He's got yet to prove and lots to work on including this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giant-rb-features-nfl-video-controversial-new-rule-article-1.1295360

JJC7301
03-22-2013, 12:24 AM
You sure he won't settle for an extra first rounder? /red
HA! Would have been great if Eli actually said that to the reporter, with a wink and a smile.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 07:53 AM
4 more, I believe. IIRC, first round contracts are 5 years.

Even better, we will here all the rumblings about how Wilson is an imgrate in year 4 lol

Drez
03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Even better, we will hear all the rumblings about how Wilson is an imgrate in year 4 lolSomethings will never change, lol.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Somethings will never change, lol.

You can count on it. It's really amazing how so many fans really have no concept of contract negotiations despite all of the valid information available. You once said put 2 and 2 together but sometimes it's just easier to split the atom. :rolleyes: