PDA

View Full Version : What's really going on with Diehl?

Scoobie-Doo
03-21-2013, 08:31 PM
I was watching NFL Network and heard Diehl say that is has not been approached about a paycut or restructure.

Curious no?

Cloud57
03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
It's looks like someone hasn't been telling the truth hmmmmm

Rudyy
03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
..Well that's odd.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Media reports have been known to be wrong

Morehead State
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Maybe DD and/or the FO thinks he may start. That might change after Free agency and the draft are done.

fletch842
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
DD said it on the set of NFL network, wasn't from the media. I saw it on Total Access.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Maybe DD and/or the FO thinks he may start. That might change after Free agency and the draft are done.

I think Reese is just being careful but I can't imagine they see him as a starter.

Scoobie-Doo
03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I think Reese is just being careful but I can't imagine they see him as a starter.

I hope you're right. I felt the line was on a role in his absence and once he came back the line got worse.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 09:03 PM
DD said it on the set of NFL network, wasn't from the media. I saw it on Total Access.

Yes, I was referring to the original media report that he had been asked.

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I still reckon they plan on cutting him. He's the contingency plan if they don't get a guy through the draft.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I still reckon they plan on cutting him. He's the contingency plan if they don't get a guy through the draft.

Or keeping him for versatile depth at a reduced paycheck

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Or keeping him for versatile depth at a reduced paycheck
They need to dump salary in order to sign the new guys, and Diehl is basically a flashing neon sign.

That's what I think, anyway.

RoanokeFan
03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
They need to dump salary in order to sign the new guys, and Diehl is basically a flashing neon sign.

There will be dead money invlolved, I think, and you are not alone in your thoughts. I'm in the minority

BigBlue wins
03-21-2013, 09:13 PM

You're absolutely correct...I really would find it bizarre that the FO found that Diehl doesnt deserve a paycut and therefore wont reduce his salary.

gmen46
03-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Regardless of your opinion of Diehl as a player right now, that would be a pretty ****ty thing for the Giants to do to him, especially after the many years he was a valuable true team player for them. And I don't believe that's how the Giants org rolls.

If they were going to cut him, because they needed the money and presumably because they shared your view of his lack of value to the team, they would have done it already. Why would they hang on to him if they truly thought he had no more value to them, even if only as a back up? To wait until after the draft to see if someone else would come along? What a crappy way of looking at the situation. You really think Reese et al are that petty and weasely?

JB456
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Regardless of your opinion of Diehl as a player right now, that would be a pretty ****ty thing for the Giants to do to him, especially after the many years he was a valuable true team player for them. And I don't believe that's how the Giants org rolls.

If they were going to cut him, because they needed the money and presumably because they shared your view of his lack of value to the team, they would have done it already. Why would they hang on to him if they truly thought he had no more value to them, even if only as a back up? To wait until after the draft to see if someone else would come along? What a crappy way of looking at the situation. You really think Reese et al are that petty and weasely?

I agree, it wouldn't be a classy way to handle the situation but we have to keep in mind that this is a business. The Giants have made Diehl a wealthy man so I think he would get over it.

I am just really surprised that they haven't approached him to take a pay cut so now I think that they will flat out cut him since no team in the league would pay him the amount of money his is set to make this year.

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 09:55 PM
There will be dead money invlolved, I think, and you are not alone in your thoughts. I'm in the minority

I'm with you RF. I've seen the Oline decimated by injury before. The guy is good depth. I think they want to see how the draft works out and what Brewer brings to OTA's and camp before making any rash moves.

B&RWarrior
03-21-2013, 09:57 PM

You feeling okay today buddy? You kept this post under 2000 words. Something must be wrong. LOL

Flip Empty
03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
That's why I said "salary". Cutting him would free up more funds than restructuring him would.

The fact that they haven't touched him is what leads me to believe he's sort of in limbo.They've sunk a load of cash into that o-line and they just aren't getting their money's worth. Something has to give.

I'm not a Diehl hater, it's just the way I see the situation. It's just an opinion, I could easily be wrong.

JJC7301
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
That's exactly what I'm thinking -- see what happens in the draft and then ask him to take a pay cut if they can't draft his replacement. If they draft a stud G or T in the 1st RD, then they just cut him.

gmen46
03-22-2013, 12:49 AM
You feeling okay today buddy? You kept this post under 2000 words. Something must be wrong. LOL

Fair enough. Nope, I'm feeling just dandy, thank you very much :)

StrahanSoup92
03-22-2013, 06:49 AM

Why would he still be on the roster if they werent planning to start him. If they wanted him for a backup, he would have already been offered the paycut, or he would have been cut already.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Why would he still be on the roster if they werent planning to start him. If they wanted him for a backup, he would have already been offered the paycut, or he would have been cut already.

Rotation, depth, call it what you want. There is no reason to push him out the door until they are sure all of the windows are in.

mercurio
03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
That's exactly what I'm thinking -- see what happens in the draft and then ask him to take a pay cut if they can't draft his replacement. If they draft a stud G or T in the 1st RD, then they just cut him.I think he gets a pay cut either way. He either starts or is a backup depending on who they get. He only gets cut if he doesn't agree to the pay cut. The FO is waiting to see just how much $ they need as long as they are under the top 51 rule. They won't cut/restructure anyone till they need to.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 12:15 PM
That's why I said "salary". Cutting him would free up more funds than restructuring him would.

The fact that they haven't touched him is what leads me to believe he's sort of in limbo.They've sunk a load of cash into that o-line and they just aren't getting their money's worth. Something has to give.

I'm not a Diehl hater, it's just the way I see the situation. It's just an opinion, I could easily be wrong.

Be careful of that word "restructure." It seems to be the most mis-understood word in the NFL. Diehl is in the last year of his contract, there is nowhere for them to spread out whatever remains of his contract. They want him to re-do his contract so they can cut his pay with no adverse long term CAP strain.

fletch842
03-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Yes, I was referring to the original media report that he had been asked.
sometimes I can even read with comprehension!! sometimes

FBomb
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
It's looks like someone hasn't been telling the truth hmmmmm

hmmmm.......yeah, because it couldn't be that the media's speculation was wrong in the first place. You almost NEVER see the media print something they KNOW is just a rumor in order to get the headline. ESPECIALLY when it's about sports.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 02:02 PM
hmmmm.......yeah, because it couldn't be that the media's speculation was wrong in the first place. You almost NEVER see the media print something they KNOW is just a rumor in order to get the headline. ESPECIALLY when it's about sports.

+1

Flip Empty
03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Be careful of that word "restructure." It seems to be the most mis-understood word in the NFL. Diehl is in the last year of his contract, there is nowhere for them to spread out whatever remains of his contract. They want him to re-do his contract so they can cut his pay with no adverse long term CAP strain.
I know what the typical definition of "restructure" is. Poor word selection on my part.

As for the Giants wanting to redo his contract.... Where have they said this?

jomo
03-22-2013, 06:17 PM
My guess is simply that the team is using the time it has to find better options. They think they can do better than Diehl for substantially less money even after the charge for the cap. If they force the issue with Diehl now to either take a paycut or be cut, then they are stuck with him. They are just warehousing him to see what else they can find out there. If in the end they can't find better then they will move to cut him or resign him at a much lower scale IMO.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Is everyone on the roster a starter? What is the rush? At this point in time he's working out in the Timex Center. We don't have Boothe and we need a starting RT. Let's see how the rest of FA goes and the draft before we assume Diehl will be here at all.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 06:29 PM
I know what the typical definition of "restructure" is. Poor word selection on my part.

As for the Giants wanting to redo his contract.... Where have they said this?

I didn't mean you I meant the media heads who report these transactions. The team hasn't said it as far as I can tell. Media speculation strikes again

Flip Empty
03-22-2013, 06:46 PM
I didn't mean you I meant the media heads who report these transactions. The team hasn't said it as far as I can tell. Media speculation strikes again
I'd like to know the sources of so many of these "reports". So often they're completely wrong.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 06:48 PM
I'd like to know the sources of so many of these "reports". So often they're completely wrong.

It really is amazing when you see the same situation written by different media heads and you can't get the same "take" from both lol

drewz
03-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Maybe he hasn't been approached about a restructure or pay cut because Reese is still planning on cutting him.

Of course, that's wishful thinking on my part.

RoanokeFan
03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Maybe he hasn't been approached about a restructure or pay cut because Reese is still planning on cutting him.

Of course, that's wishful thinking on my part.

Very possible, wishful thinking or not

I Bleed Blue 56
03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
DD is a true Giant but like Ohara his time is up. With the way free agency has transpired. He might as well accept a back up role or retire. He has gone downhill and fast. The tape never lies he struggled all season and is getting older. I hope hetakes a pay cut or retires a Giant.

FBomb
03-22-2013, 10:53 PM

Here ya go....
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj14NEeFelkNYsookiVRP9v2uYbiRTX r1xk0jAb-xDRgcQZB_e

Sovereign
03-23-2013, 12:48 AM
He needed to be cut last year.

RoanokeFan
03-23-2013, 06:49 AM

You could be a "source." There are some media heads who lurk on message boards, yes, like this one. Do you think it's inconceivable they might read a post here and run with it?