PDA

View Full Version : Nicks or Cruz... Who is more talented??

dayeh33
12-28-2011, 02:56 AM
First off i would like to say that i love both of these guys. Together they are easily a top 3 receiving duo in the league. Both of them are very talented, but who do you think is the overall better player? In my opinion Nicks has the edge by a little. A main reason why Cruz is exploding this year is cause Nicks gets doubled most of the time which leaves Cruz taking advantage of being in single coverage a lot. Agree or disagree? Who do you guys think is better?

giants2thebowl
12-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Too early in their career to tell which player has more skill in my opinion. Both very young, and both have an immense potential to be great.

Weygand
12-28-2011, 03:38 AM
I used to think it was Nicks but now I am starting to think it may be a respective tie.

God, if we had a Barber and Shockey now this offense would be good for 40 a game..which, with our D, would mean a lot of overtime games

/amirite?

TheEnigma
12-28-2011, 03:50 AM
Sinorice Moss

NYG4lifeNYK
12-28-2011, 03:57 AM
This is pretty silly if you as me.. no disrespect intended.

Nicks is a top 5 potential.

Cruz is great but he's benefiting from all the attention Nicks is seeing.

Nicks by a wide margin..right now anyway.

Spizi
12-28-2011, 04:09 AM
Nicks

/thread

Gmen2005
12-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Nicks, but having Cruz isn't bad

redbeardxxv
12-28-2011, 06:42 AM
This is a great debate to have. Nicks is a better receiver overall, but if he see's the double, Cruz is a reliable deep threat AND a reliable 3rd down target. I bet there are 30+ other teams that wish they could be having this debate. Cruz would see the double on any other team, but for once the GIANTS have 2 legitimate big time receivers AND a potent 3rd/4th option with Manninham/ Ballard. Our passing game is clicking, our running game can get going sometimes, and our defense, well we know the story there. If we had them all clicking at once.... Wow.

lionjune
12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm starting to lean Cruz's way because for one he is faster and never gets caught from behind. No. 2 he is shiftier and can make a subtle move and take it to the house like he did saturday against the Jets.

Tony Bruno
12-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I think they are both pretty even... I think the biggest flaw is KK doesnt draw quick plays to get the ball in the playmakers hands fast enough... I think they both have exceptional or stone hands at times but all in all I think you get the ball to Cruz he makes more happen than Nicks..

They are both really good but its just a shame we dont get them the ball faster and let the playmakers make plays...

rebelfan1966
12-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Too early in their career to tell which player has more skill in my opinion. Both very young, and both have an immense potential to be great.</P>

+1</P>

yadownwitjpp
12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Nicks..no disrespect to cruz at all he's great but hakeem draws the guy over the top almost every play u get hakeem 1 on 1 he wins it a majority of the time

bigjeep
12-28-2011, 10:23 PM
First off i would like to say that i love both of these guys. Together they are easily a top 3 receiving duo in the league. Both of them are very talented, but who do you think is the overall better player? In my opinion Nicks has the edge by a little. A main reason why Cruz is exploding this year is cause Nicks gets doubled most of the time which leaves Cruz taking advantage of being in single coverage a lot. Agree or disagree? Who do you guys think is better?
</P>

Cruz is the guy if he can catch the ball consistantly. Unlimited future! Nicks is a decent receiver, no more then that.</P>

slipknottin
12-28-2011, 10:25 PM

This

Defcon4
12-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Nicks. no contest.

Ntegrase96
12-28-2011, 11:52 PM
It's closer than I initially thought. Hard to say which guy is faster, Nicks isn't much bigger than Cruz (inch taller few pounds heavier), both have a lot of drops. Nicks seems to be a better route runner, but that's not really a talent thing.

Cruz has better hand eye coordination and is a bit more shifty, but I'd say Nicks has more body control.

JJC7301
12-29-2011, 12:01 AM
I used to think it was Nicks but now I am starting to think it may be a respective tie.

God, if we had a Barber and Shockey now this offense would be good for 40 a game..which, with our D, would mean a lot of overtime games

/amirite?
+1. They're equally good right now and if one is having a bad game, you know that the other one will probably be having a great game.

If we had our traditional running game, this offense could be VERY scary.

gmenfanWorL
12-29-2011, 01:27 AM
I feel like Nicks makes that incredibly difficult (but underrated) over the head catch, where as Cruz makes some fantastic highlight reel catches and is just explosive. Give this slightly to Nicks, but Cruz is a great player to have on the field.

bigbluefan1986
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Look if we were talking 8 weeks ago you ask this and you have to concede Nicks, but week 17 after watching cruz dominate week in and week out .. I have to give the nod to Cruz.. 1300 yards is no fluke. its not too early to tell when somone has big play ability when the season is done and they are still performing at a high level. </P>

</P>

I take cruz over nicks just my opinion.</P>

lionjune
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
to the poster who said they dont know who is faster between the 2. </P>

I think the answer is quite simple. How many times has Cruz been caught from behind and how many times has Nicks. i dont recall cruz being caught unless the ball was underthrown</P>

How many yards on his tds when cruz catches the ball is he already in front of the defender? </P>

cruz is definitely faster</P>

Joe Morrison
12-29-2011, 11:16 AM
A lot of VC's success has to do with the attention Nicks gets, now it's time for Nicks to get rid of the Ski Gloves and catch more than he drops or they will concentrate on VC.

RoanokeFan
12-29-2011, 11:18 AM

I agree that part of Cruz's success early on was because of the coverage on Nicks but to say Nick is better by a wide margin is a bit of a stretch. Cruz continues to perform at a high level on the outside or in the slot. For a receiver who has only "started" for or five games this season, his first playing season, to have broken Amani Toomer's single season record puts him on par with Nicks.

PIERCEnumber58rules
12-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I love them both. But if I could only have one on my team, I'd take Cruz. He just seems to be a bigger play maker IMO. He really brings a spark to the offense. Nicks is awesome too, but he's been having some issues with big time drops in big time moments. This offense would be lethal if all our guys could catch everything that hit them in the hands. Seriously. If we had a game where Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, and Ballard didn't have a bone-headed drop, Eli would pass for 500 yards.

jakegibbs
12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
First off i would like to say that i love both of these guys. Together they are easily a top 3 receiving duo in the league. Both of them are very talented, but who do you think is the overall better player? In my opinion Nicks has the edge by a little. A main reason why Cruz is exploding this year is cause Nicks gets doubled most of the time which leaves Cruz taking advantage of being in single coverage a lot.* Agree or disagree? Who do you guys think is better?

Cruz more speed & can play hurt. No contest.

JJC7301
12-29-2011, 11:35 AM
A lot of VC's success has to do with the attention Nicks gets, now it's time for Nicks to get rid of the Ski Gloves and catch more than he drops or they will concentrate on VC.</P>

+1. VC is a legit top receiver, but Revis was covering Nicks. Nicks always gets the top CB on him. That may change next year. </P>

I'm siked to have these two as Giants receivers for years to come, hopefully. </P>

jax5338
12-29-2011, 01:52 PM

This

+2

but i think cruz has better breakaway speed in open field, and more gas when running.

BParcells777
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Do you want a 1st down or TD

If you want a 1st down its Nicks

If you relish long TDs its Cruz by a mile.......faster, more elusive, almost a magician in terms of body control

used to think Nicks had the better hands.......after the last few games its very debatable

TroyArcher
12-29-2011, 02:58 PM
That is sort of like asking who is sexier - Megan Fox or Scarlett Johansson. Does it really matter?
I would take either one anytime, anywhere under any circumstance.

Newman80
12-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I love them both plus they are both not making that much money for their production! Cap help

GiantWarfare
12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
It's closer than I initially thought. Hard to say which guy is faster, Nicks isn't much bigger than Cruz (inch taller few pounds heavier), both have a lot of drops. Nicks seems to be a better route runner, but that's not really a talent thing.

Cruz has better hand eye coordination and is a bit more shifty, but I'd say Nicks has more body control.

Agree w/ everything you said however...Cruz is noticeably faster while Nicks is much more physical

jakegibbs
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Your are correct Nicks got him by 0.02 tenths of a second in the 40 yd dash. I would have bet the other way on that one cause Cruz sure has more quickness or appears to have anyway.

Hakeem Nicks
Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic
6 ft 0 in 212 lb 4.49 s 1.52 s 2.60 s 4.43 s 6.96 s 36 in 11
20-ss and 3-cone from UNC Pro Day, all others from NFL Combine[4]

Victor Cruz
Position: WRClass: 5Sr School: MassachusettsConference: Colonial Athletic
Conference: Colonial Athletic
HT: 5-11
WT: 190
40 Time: 4.51

GiantWarfare
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Your are correct Nicks got him by 0.02 tenths of a second in the 40 yd dash. I would have bet the other way on that one cause Cruz sure has more quickness or appears to have anyway.

Hakeem Nicks
Pre-draft measureables Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic
6 ft 0 in 212 lb 4.49 s 1.52 s 2.60 s 4.43 s 6.96 s 36 in 11
20-ss and 3-cone from UNC Pro Day, all others from NFL Combine[4]

Victor Cruz
Position: WRClass: 5Sr School: MassachusettsConference: Colonial Athletic
Conference: Colonial Athletic
HT: 5-11
WT: 190
40 Time: 4.51

Cruz is faster. I dont put too much stock into 40 times. In-game speed really tells the story...

gmen46
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM

I agree with your "top 5 potential" about Nicks. No question in my mind. Hell, he's close to it now, imo.

But I do think you diminish Cruz' proven abilities--at least so far--too much.

He makes plays. He makes some spectacular plays with his athleticism.

Some of his most spectacular have been in coverage, with 1 or even 2 draped on him or in his face (the second TD in the first Eagles game comes immediately to mind).

So he is not simply "benefiting from all the attention Nicks is seeing". Some of his extraordinary plays can be attributed to those opportunities, true.

But many receivers in this league are on teams with a WR that draws primary coverage from every opponent, and they don't all finish 3rd in NFL wide receivers yardage for the season, do they?

At some point, one has to acknowledge his extraordinary talent.

Nicks has what is known as the "complete package" for a modern day wide receiver. He truly is a lot like Irvin without the drugs and the prima donna mouth and behavior baggage. And that--to me--is what elevates him above most other receivers, including Cruz. And he has it without the extra 6 inches in height that comes with Calvin, Andre, Vincent, Graham, and now Gronkowski (2 TEs, I know, but leading receivers this year).

The best thing is, both Nicks and Cruz are extremely exciting play making receivers to watch, they are ours, and they are YOUNG.

As an opponent, how do you apply primary coverage to TWO receivers like them?

sc_markt
12-29-2011, 06:04 PM
First off i would like to say that i love both of these guys. Together they are easily a top 3 receiving duo in the league. Both of them are very talented, but who do you think is the overall better player? In my opinion Nicks has the edge by a little. A main reason why Cruz is exploding this year is cause Nicks gets doubled most of the time which leaves Cruz taking advantage of being in single coverage a lot.* Agree or disagree? Who do you guys think is better?

I think Cruz might end up being special. Time will tell....

Garbloz
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
even imo atm but they will never be elite if they keep dropping balls.

we got big play wrs but they drop way too many balls. they also make many superstar plays. this team will make me go bald

gmen46
12-29-2011, 06:14 PM
And to think, one is a legitimate, consensus First Round draft pick. And the other is a Undrafted Free Agent.

Sweet dreams are made of this.

I can only imagine what Eli REALLY thinks about his good fortune, though he will never say it in public, understandably.

JesseJames
12-29-2011, 06:38 PM

Nicks has 5 drops and Cruz has 7 this season compared to a player like Roddy White who has 13

netplus
12-29-2011, 11:25 PM
"who is more talented"</P>

Really doesn't matter. They're both studs. We're fortunate to have both of them on our team.</P>

Defcon4
12-30-2011, 12:49 AM
I don't think Cruz is faster. Nicks has been hurt all year long. Nicks is the better receiver, hands down.