PDA

View Full Version : Holiday surprise: Osi returns to practice!

NjErzeY88
12-28-2011, 12:38 PM
The Giants aren’t kidding about being “all in” this week against the Dallas Cowboys. Even Osi Umenyiora might be “in”.

In clearly the most shocking news of the day, Umenyiora, who wasn’t even supposed to test his injured ankle until later this week, will be on the practice field on Wednesday, according to Tom Coughlin. The banged-up defensive end will likely be limited, but considering it’s his first practice since he hurt his ankle on Nov. 28, it’s still big news.

Coughlin said Umenyiora has already tested his injured ankle and injured knee, and he obviously has been cleared by Giants doctors to return.

“He’s tested everything. Lots of times,” Coughlin said. “That’s what he’s been doing. He’s been working his tail off. He just hasn’t been able to get right.”

He was believed to be so far from being “right” that a source close to Umenyiora said on Monday that his return could still be a “couple more weeks” away. The source added that Umenyiora planned to test his ankle on Thursday or Friday and might be able to push up his time table if he felt OK.

Whether or not Umenyiora is actually able to play on Sunday night when the Giants face the Dallas Cowboys obviously depends on how his ankle responds to whatever work he does on the field this week.

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

jomo
12-28-2011, 12:42 PM
The Giants aren’t kidding about being “all in” this week against the Dallas Cowboys. Even Osi Umenyiora might be “in”.

In clearly the most shocking news of the day, Umenyiora, who wasn’t even supposed to test his injured ankle until later this week, will be on the practice field on Wednesday, according to Tom Coughlin. The banged-up defensive end will likely be limited, but considering it’s his first practice since he hurt his ankle on Nov. 28, it’s still big news.

Coughlin said Umenyiora has already tested his injured ankle and injured knee, and he obviously has been cleared by Giants doctors to return.

“He’s tested everything. Lots of times,” Coughlin said. “That’s what he’s been doing. He’s been working his tail off. He just hasn’t been able to get right.”

He was believed to be so far from being “right” that a source close to Umenyiora said on Monday that his return could still be a “couple more weeks” away. The source added that Umenyiora planned to test his ankle on Thursday or Friday and might be able to push up his time table if he felt OK.

Whether or not Umenyiora is actually able to play on Sunday night when the Giants face the Dallas Cowboys obviously depends on how his ankle responds to whatever work he does on the field this week.

BY RALPH VACCHIANOHoping that this is a Willis Reed situation.

RagTime Blue
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Am I the only one not entirely happy about this?

Do we need a gimp taking away significant snaps from JPP. . .or moving him to a position he's not very good at yet??

Take your time, Osi.

Newman80
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Great News remember our Superbowl run with OSI, TUCK,STRAHAN all in at he same time well make way for JPP, TUCK,OSI.....SACKS anyone? Romo is done first half.

RagTime Blue
12-28-2011, 12:44 PM

BY RALPH VACCHIANOHoping that this is <font size="6">a Willis Reed situation</font>.

Not entirely familiar. . .could you please explain?

NjErzeY88
12-28-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84v5cazK8lc

just watch that and you will learn

Buckeroo
12-28-2011, 12:47 PM
IMO...Osi was waiting until the Giants had good hopes to be in the playoffs. I had felt if they beat the Skins he would have practiced last week. With the Jets win I knew he would be at practice this week. When he saw the December colapse happening he figured why bother risking further injury for nothing. I'll be somewhere esle next year and I dont have to audition. They rest of the league knows what I can do.</P>

I hope he plays back up to JPP. Thats where he belongs. </P>

Newman80
12-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I think on 3rd and long they will go Tuck and Cantyto DT and JPP and OSi to DEs

rebelfan1966
12-28-2011, 12:56 PM
The last game I saw Osi play .... he looked like a chihuahua trying to knock over an English Mastiff.... he just kept bouncing off the guy. If that is what we are getting from him in this game, I say no thanks.

NY_Eli
12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
This is excellent news! We need everyone out there on sunday!

RoanokeFan
12-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Do we need a gimp taking away significant snaps from JPP. . .or moving him to a position he's not very good at yet??

Take your time, Osi.

Osi won't start over either JPP or Tuck I'm pretty sure, but IF healthy, we could use him on obvious passing downs

smashndash715
12-28-2011, 01:07 PM

BY RALPH VACCHIANOHoping that this is <font size="6">a Willis Reed situation</font>.

willis reed played for the new york knicks..against the lakers in the finals in the last game he came out even though he had a bad leg injury..he hit the first shot of the game and went right back out but it fired every1 up

jomo
12-28-2011, 01:07 PM

In one of the most famous snapshots in NBA history, Reed, hindered by a torn thigh muscle that forced him to miss Game 6 of the Finals for the Knicks, dragged his leg onto the Madison Square Garden court to a hero’s welcome for Game 7 on May 8, 1970, and swished New York’s first two shots against the Lakers.

The applause was thunderous and the energy it brought to Garden that night was incredible (I was there). Reed was a universally beloved player/leader/warrior. Osi is not quite there and has his detractors for sure. It may be a stretch but I would hope that if he came running out of that tunnel, the crowd and his teammates would react with great enthusiasm.

RoanokeFan
12-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Where's my cleats?

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 01:14 PM
As much as Tollefson sucks this year he does have a motor. Osi needs to play with some fire.

NY_Eli
12-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Where's my cleats?*

Hahaha, think you can play nickel corner? Fewell and Rolle would love you for it! [:D]

I'd volunteer but I think a death on the field would put a damper on the playoff atmosphere....

RoanokeFan
12-28-2011, 01:15 PM

In one of the most famous snapshots in NBA history, Reed, hindered by a torn thigh muscle that forced him to miss Game 6 of the Finals for the Knicks, dragged his leg onto the Madison Square Garden court to a hero’s welcome for Game 7 on May 8, 1970, and swished New York’s first two shots against the Lakers.

The applause was thunderous and the energy it brought to Garden that night was incredible (I was there). Reed was a universally beloved player/leader/warrior. Osi is not quite there and has his detractors for sure. It may be a stretch but I would hope that if he came running out of that tunnel, the crowd and his teammates would react with great enthusiasm.

I'm not a huge Osi fan since the contract BS but if we can get that result from him coming onto the field I'll carry his helmet.

ny06
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
As much as Tollefson sucks this year he does have a motor. Osi needs to play with some fire.</P>

Did Tollefson refuse to give you an autograph or something?</P>

Cause this is the 2nd time you have stated he sucks, I think numerous teams would love to have a player like Tollefson on there team. </P>

He can play d-end or d-tackle on passing downs. He contributes on special teams. </P>

And let's talk about the season he is having. 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles from the 2nd unit. Name me a team that would not want that kind of contribution off the bench?</P>

SIMMS5611
12-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Does Osi come to play, or does he screw up what little chemistry the Giants D Line has managed to develop the past few weeks?</P>

I'll say one thing, if he comes in and has a monster game, I think it'll really help to erase a lot of the ill feelings towards him. Perhaps he knows his very limited playing time this season, whether due to injury or attitude, has probably had a pretty negative affect on his marketability to other teams.</P>

Maybe he wants to re-establish his value to the Giants....</P>

Sarcasman
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Or other teams. If he's healthy enough to be useful on obvious passing downs, fine.

The risk of course is that the offense checks into runs right at him in which case the Giants will have real problems.

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 01:47 PM
As much as Tollefson sucks this year he does have a motor. Osi needs to play with some fire.</P>

Cause this is the 2nd time you have stated he sucks, I think numerous teams would love to have a player like Tollefson on there team. </P>

He can play d-end or d-tackle on passing downs. He contributes on special teams. </P>

And let's talk about the season he is having. 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles from the 2nd unit. Name me a team that would not want that kind of contribution off the bench?</P>I don't think many teams would want Tollefson particularly because he's on vets min deal and garnered no interest on the market at all.

He can play DE and DT because that's his position. It doesn't mean he plays it well. He has a nice motor and that's about it. He is awful against the run and nothing special against the pass as well. He has a good motor, and if Osi can't match that this week, then I would go with Tolly.

As for a team wanting that production off of the bench, I think teams would realize that that number is high because he's played about 50% of the snaps. If you think a team is gonna go out of their way for Tolly to play anything other then STs or backup, then you are terribly misguided. Terribly.

Newman80
12-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Anyone who thinks Dave Tollefson sucks is wrong he is a back up with good production. 5 sacks 2 forced fumbles? I think he adds great depth to the line and if needed because players are hurt he is not a bad option. What do you think Ware is on the bench for us. You are spoiled because he have had Great DE for a long time. Other teams would love to have him on their bench he might even start for a few.

ny06
12-28-2011, 01:58 PM

And let's talk about the season he is having. 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles from the 2nd unit. Name me a team that would not want that kind of contribution off the bench?</P>

I don't think many teams would want Tollefson particularly because he's on vets min deal and garnered no interest on the market at all. He can play DE and DT because that's his position. It doesn't mean he plays it well. He has a nice motor and that's about it. He is awful against the run and nothing special against the pass as well. He has a good motor, and if Osi can't match that this week, then I would go with Tolly. As for a team wanting that production off of the bench, I think teams would realize that that number is high because he's played about 50% of the snaps. If you think a team is gonna go out of their way for Tolly to play anything other then STs or backup, then you are terribly misguided. Terribly.</P>

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about regarding Tollefson. </P>

Is that the cliche for white defenders? There just not that good, but they have great motors. </P>

And what the hell does snap count have to do with anything?</P>

He has played alot of snaps because Tuck missed significant time, as Osi. </P>

And when did I ever say teams would go out of there way to sign Tollefson? They might not go out of there way, but he sure deserves a look. </P>

</P>

Vtgmenfan89
12-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Take your time, Osi.

Osi won't start over either JPP or Tuck I'm pretty sure, but IF healthy, we could use him on obvious passing downs

This. It's not so much who starts, but I reaally don't want Osi taking key snaps away from JPP. Especially on run downs, I'm not one who says Osi is awful against the run because when he tries he's not bad, but he's no JPP that's for sure. He should also have limited snaps and only on main passing downs so he doesnt get reinjured before the playoffs, provided we win. My main concern with osi has always been motivation, and I like to think on the cusp of a playoff berth/ chance for a run at another chip, he will bring it like we'll need him to, like he did earlier this year and last season.

bklyn1028
12-28-2011, 02:02 PM
You know what's amazing:
I posted on Facebook yesterday that if Umenyoira didn't play sunday (with the game's implications), then he was a *****...
He must have read it!......LOL

G-Man67
12-28-2011, 02:05 PM
good news, Osi can change the game with one of his trademark QB strips and pass rushers do need to be rotated

and when Osi comes in, often JPP moves inside, so JPP will get all the snaps he generally gets ... it will help Tuck ... Tolly will lose some snaps

all hands on deck, nothing to rest for if we lose

G-Man67
12-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Or other teams. If he's healthy enough to be useful on obvious passing downs, fine.

The risk of course is that the offense checks into runs right at him in which case the Giants will have real problems.

hey whatever, if he makes a big play, don't care what the motivation was ... he could be trying to impress a chick for all i care

bklyn1028
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
any one who is 1/2 assed injured needs to play, it's all on the line sunday nite. Now, if you are seriously injured, that's a different story, but if not, get your body on the field.

Newman80
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Well if he plays well it may help him in the off season. He has to give it all I believe we trade him so If he doesnt show up good luck with that new contract. Teams dont like paying top dollar for lack of effort unless its the Raiders

ryan12
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Take your time, Osi.

agreed 100%

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM

I don't think many teams would want Tollefson particularly because he's on vets min deal and garnered no interest on the market at all. He can play DE and DT because that's his position. It doesn't mean he plays it well. He has a nice motor and that's about it. He is awful against the run and nothing special against the pass as well. He has a good motor, and if Osi can't match that this week, then I would go with Tolly. As for a team wanting that production off of the bench, I think teams would realize that that number is high because he's played about 50% of the snaps. If you think a team is gonna go out of their way for Tolly to play anything other then STs or backup, then you are terribly misguided. Terribly.</P>

Is that the cliche for white defenders? There just not that good, but they have great motors. </P>

And when did I ever say teams would go out of there way to sign Tollefson? They might not go out of there way, but he sure deserves a look. </P>

*</P>I guess that is your cliche, because I sure as hell never said that. And snaps matter because you keep throwing the phrase 'off the bench' as if he barely plays when in fact he has played a lot this year. If you don't think snap count has anything to do with it then YOU clearly have no idea what you are talking about regarding Tollefson. Tolly is frankly just not that good. If you don't believe me, go back and watch the games again. If you're okay with a hustle play here and there and the occasional once every 100 snap sack, then that is fine by me. I will not hold Tolly to a higher standard because he is a backup.

bklyn1028
12-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I think we trade him also. He is a great player, but too much prone to injury, and he wants way too much money. Other teams I believe won't give him what he wants based on this year.

mattpl908
12-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Lets hope he's not dead weight.

ny06
12-28-2011, 02:43 PM

</P>

I guess that is your cliche, because I sure as hell never said that. And snaps matter because you keep throwing the phrase 'off the bench' as if he barely plays when in fact he has played a lot this year. If you don't think snap count has anything to do with it then YOU clearly have no idea what you are talking about regarding Tollefson. Tolly is frankly just not that good. If you don't believe me, go back and watch the games again. If you're okay with a hustle play here and there and the occasional once every 100 snap sack, then that is fine by me. I will not hold Tolly to a higher standard because he is a backup.</P>

It's not my cliche at all, but when someone states on and on again that he is a high motor guy but no talent it gives me reason to ask why you feel that way. </P>

I don't have to watch the games over to know that Tollefson has played well when he has had the chance. </P>

Snap count means nothing to me, but clearly it means alot to you.</P>

So I get what you're saying now, he has 5 sacks because he has more playing time with the injuries we have had. I guess let's take his effort on the field away from him because he has had as much snaps as some starters. </P>

You have yet to back up your claim, why does he suck again? </P>

You said he sucks against the run? So does Osi. He sucks against the pass? I guess 5 sacks ain't **** in your mind. You know Clay Matthews has 6 sacks this season right? I guess he sucks too. But you will say Clay get's doubled team all the time. (which he does not)</P>

</P>

Buckeroo
12-28-2011, 02:45 PM

</P>

I guess that is your cliche, because I sure as hell never said that. And snaps matter because you keep throwing the phrase 'off the bench' as if he barely plays when in fact he has played a lot this year. If you don't think snap count has anything to do with it then YOU clearly have no idea what you are talking about regarding Tollefson. Tolly is frankly just not that good. If you don't believe me, go back and watch the games again. If you're okay with a hustle play here and there and the occasional once every 100 snap sack, then that is fine by me. I will not hold Tolly to a higher standard because he is a backup.</P>

If you dont hold him to higher standard than back up then whats the problem??/ I dont care how many snaps he gets. He is a back up and plays like one. Tollefson has so many snaps because of Tuck's and Osi's injuries....as you know. Back talent is back up talent whether you get 70 snaps a game or 5. Snaps dont matter when it comes to talent level. </P>

Buckeroo
12-28-2011, 02:46 PM

</P>

It's not my cliche at all, but when someone states on and on again that he is a high motor guy but no talent it gives me reason to ask why you feel that way. </P>

I don't have to watch the games over to know that Tollefson has played well when he has had the chance. </P>

So I get what you're saying now, he has 5 sacks because he has more playing time with the injuries we have had. I guess let's take his effort on the field away from him because he has had as much snaps as some starters. </P>

You said he sucks against the run? So does Osi. He sucks against the pass? I guess 5 sacks ain't **** in your mind. You know Clay Matthews has 6 sacks this season right? I guess he sucks too. But you will say Clay get's doubled team all the time. (which he does not)</P>

</P>

</P>

dude....dont even compare Matthews to Tollefson....please....</P>

I lijke Tolly but come on.....</P>

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 02:47 PM

*</P>

If you dont hold him to higher standard than back up then whats the problem??/ I dont care how many snaps he gets. He is a back up and plays like one. Tollefson has so many snaps because of Tuck's and Osi's injuries....as you know. Back talent is back up talent whether you get 70 snaps a game or 5. Snaps dont matter when it comes to talent level. </P>By that I mean I'm not gonna be like "well he is a backup and he hasn't been great but he is a backup".

Makes no difference to me, just play well.

ny06
12-28-2011, 02:48 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

&lt;sigh&gt;</P>

Where did I compare?</P>

My point was he has 5 sacks which is not bad in the NFL (a backup mind you)</P>

Clay has 6 sacks and he is a full time starter who is regarded as a great linebacker. </P>

</P>

Buckeroo
12-28-2011, 02:50 PM

</P>

If you dont hold him to higher standard than back up then whats the problem??/ I dont care how many snaps he gets. He is a back up and plays like one. Tollefson has so many snaps because of Tuck's and Osi's injuries....as you know. Back talent is back up talent whether you get 70 snaps a game or 5. Snaps dont matter when it comes to talent level. </P>

By that I mean I'm not gonna be like "well he is a backup and he hasn't been great but he is a backup". Makes no difference to me, just play well.</P>

Ok...I get that. But he IS a back up and plays like one. So you saying he isnt that good I guess you mean he isnt that good for even a back up....???</P>

Because if you dont mean that then your argument is a bit confusing.....to me anyway. </P>

Gianthunter
12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Game 17 back at practise right on cue.[;)]

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

*</P>

*</P>

</P>

I lijke Tolly but come on.....</P>LMFAO! Clay Matthews has 3 ints, 6 sacks, 40 QB pressures, 21 QB hits and 3 FFs. Tollefson is awful against the run, you might have to go back and watch, because you are really missing something. As for his impact vs the pass, 8 QB pressures, 1 QB hit (other than sacks).

And how does snap count not matter? If someone gets 5 sacks in 50 snaps and another person gets 5 sacks in 850 snaps, thats a mile difference, which is why I feel you are clinging to Tolly's 5 sacks like a crutch. Not that impressive to cap off a not impressive player.

But he does have a nice motor. =]

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 02:56 PM

*</P>

By that I mean I'm not gonna be like "well he is a backup and he hasn't been great but he is a backup". Makes no difference to me, just play well.</P>

Ok...I get that. But he IS a back up and plays like one. So you saying he isnt that good* I guess you mean he isnt that good for even a back up....???</P>

Because if you dont mean that then your argument is a bit confusing.....to me anyway. </P>He has been playing more then a backup (50% of the seasons snaps) because of all the injuries, but he hasn't been good. Now I'm not gonna say he is doing an admiral job because he is a backup playing so much, I'm gonna judge him to the same standard I would judge a starter, and for Tolly, he is just been a bad player with a exceptional motor and heart.

My first post even touches on that if Osi can't match the intensity, heart and motor of Tolly, I'd rather stick with Tolly.

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Ok...I get that. But he IS a back up and plays like one. Basically this is what I'm saying.

ny06
12-28-2011, 02:59 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

LMFAO! Clay Matthews has<FONT color=#0000ff> 3 ints, 6 sacks, 40 QB pressures, 21 QB hits and 3 FFs</FONT>. Tollefson is awful against the run, you might have to go back and watch, because you are really missing something. As for his impact vs the pass, 8 QB pressures, 1 QB hit (other than sacks). And how does snap count not matter? If someone gets 5 sacks in 50 snaps and another person gets 5 sacks in 850 snaps, thats a mile difference, which is why I feel you are clinging to Tolly's 5 sacks like a crutch. Not that impressive to cap off a not impressive player. But he does have a nice motor. =]</P>

Oh my goodness, let's just give Clay Matthews the defensive player of the year award. 40 qb pressures? WOW so what does that stat fall under? He almost got the sack. </P>

And just like the other poster, I have to explain there is no comparisons. But to say one player sucks and the other player is great is absurd. </P>

</P>

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 03:01 PM
My point was he has 5 sacks which is not bad in the NFL (a backup mind you)You do realize there is more to a DE then sacks, right? That is the only thing you are throwing around.

Plus 5 sacks with 500 snaps with minimal pressure on a QB, 6 total QB hits is pretty mediocre. You do realize that, right?

Buckeroo
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM

</P>

Ok...I get that. But he IS a back up and plays like one. So you saying he isnt that good I guess you mean he isnt that good for even a back up....???</P>

Because if you dont mean that then your argument is a bit confusing.....to me anyway. </P>

He has been playing more then a backup (50% of the seasons snaps) because of all the injuries, but he hasn't been good. Now I'm not gonna say he is doing an admiral job because he is a backup playing so much, I'm gonna judge him to the same standard I would judge a starter, and for Tolly, he is just been a bad player with a exceptional motor and heart. My first post even touches on that if Osi can't match the intensity, heart and motor of Tolly, I'd rather stick with Tolly.</P>

Still dont know why you would hold him to a starters standards just because of snap count. The only reason he has the snap count he does is because of injury not because of his increased performance. </P>

In a case like his snap count will not make him a better player. He is a back up for a reason. </P>

Osi has pussed out until he sees the Giants may get into the playoffs. I felt if they beat the Skins he would have been at practice last week. I said the same thing with the Jets game....and boom....there is he is at practice. He wont play vs Dallas or if he does it will be very little. But if the Giants beat Dallas he will be at full practice next week. BTW....I would rather have Tollefason's motor and heart vs Osi half baked BS any day. That we can agree on. </P>

ny06
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
My point was he has 5 sacks which is not bad in the NFL (a backup mind you)You do realize there is more to a DE then sacks, right? That is the only thing you are throwing around. Plus 5 sacks with 500 snaps with minimal pressure on a QB, 6 total QB hits is pretty mediocre. You do realize that, right?

No ****, I didn't think I had to throw that point out.

I don't know how you gauge a player, but to say he <U>sucks</U> is incorrect.

</P>

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
</P>

Oh my goodness, let's just give Clay Matthews the defensive player of the year award. 40 qb pressures? WOW so what does that stat fall under? He almost got the sack. </P>

And just like the other poster, I have to explain there is no comparisons. But to say one player sucks and the other player is great is absurd. </P>

*</P>You are really losing me. Stat for almost getting a sack? I'm starting to think that sacks are the only measuring stick for you. If you have 10 sacks and are invisible the other 900 snaps you play, that is pathetic too.

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 03:05 PM
My point was he has 5 sacks which is not bad in the NFL (a backup mind you)You do realize there is more to a DE then sacks, right? That is the only thing you are throwing around. Plus 5 sacks with 500 snaps with minimal pressure on a QB, 6 total QB hits is pretty mediocre. You do realize that, right?

*</P>Okay, well when is it acceptable to say a player sucks?

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 03:07 PM

*</P>

Ok...I get that. But he IS a back up and plays like one. So you saying he isnt that good* I guess you mean he isnt that good for even a back up....???</P>

He has been playing more then a backup (50% of the seasons snaps) because of all the injuries, but he hasn't been good. Now I'm not gonna say he is doing an admiral job because he is a backup playing so much, I'm gonna judge him to the same standard I would judge a starter, and for Tolly, he is just been a bad player with a exceptional motor and heart. My first post even touches on that if Osi can't match the intensity, heart and motor of Tolly, I'd rather stick with Tolly.</P>

Still dont know why you would hold him to a starters standards just because of snap count. The only reason he has the snap count he does is because of injury not because of his increased performance. </P>

In a case like his snap count will not make him a better player. He is a back up for a reason. </P>

Osi has pussed out until he sees the Giants may get into the playoffs. I felt if they beat the Skins he would have been at practice last week. I said the same thing with the Jets game....and boom....there is he is at practice. He wont play vs Dallas or if he does it will be very little. But if the Giants beat Dallas he will be at full practice next week. BTW....I would rather have Tollefason's motor and heart vs Osi half baked BS any day. That we can agree on. </P>I think we are in agreement that Tolly is strictly a backup. Correct?

ny06
12-28-2011, 03:08 PM
</P>

</P>

You are really losing me. Stat for almost getting a sack? I'm starting to think that sacks are the only measuring stick for you. If you have 10 sacks and are invisible the other 900 snaps you play, that is pathetic too.</P>

Clearly you never read a post of mine. </P>

sacks are just one aspect, there is tackles for loss, forced fumbles, etc. </P>

I never said once that sacks is the only stat that matters, but don't come at me with he has qb pressures, and qb hits. Last time I checked what does that even have to do with on the field? </P>

For example, that one qb hit could have led to a 35 yard completeion, but I guess he hit the qb and that's something in you're eyes. </P>

</P>

ny06
12-28-2011, 03:11 PM

</P>

Okay, well when is it acceptable to say a player sucks?</P>

My definition that a players sucks is a few things. </P>

They are underperforming.</P>

They add nothing to the team. </P>

Now can you say with a straight face that Tollfeson is any of those? </P>

Now don't get me wrong, I never said he is a great player, or even a starter. But I will be damned to see a fellow Giant fan say he sucks. </P>

</P>

Buckeroo
12-28-2011, 03:12 PM

</P>

Osi has pussed out until he sees the Giants may get into the playoffs. I felt if they beat the Skins he would have been at practice last week. I said the same thing with the Jets game....and boom....there is he is at practice. He wont play vs Dallas or if he does it will be very little. But if the Giants beat Dallas he will be at full practice next week. BTW....I would rather have Tollefason's motor and heart vs Osi half baked BS any day. That we can agree on. </P>

I think we are in agreement that Tolly is strictly a backup. Correct?</P>

Absolutely....and he is no matter how many snaps he plays. Even he plays the snaps equivilant to a starter he is still a back up and thusly will perform like one. Unless I stand corrected you seem to think that because he plays as much as a starter he should perform like one or at least be judged like one. That part makes no sense to me. I judge Tollefson as a back up. If he plays 1 snap or 50 in a game. Personally I think he is a decent soild back up. </P>

BParcells777
12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
As much as Tollefson sucks this year he does have a motor. Osi needs to play with some fire.

Tollefson sucks........where are you getting this information????......he has been voted one of the most under-rated players in the NFL

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 04:11 PM

Tollefson sucks........where are you getting this information????......he has been voted one of the most under-rated players in the NFL
That's interesting. I've never heard that, do you have a link?

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 04:14 PM

*</P>

Okay, well when is it acceptable to say a player sucks?</P>

My definition that a players sucks is a few things. </P>

They are underperforming.</P>

They add nothing to the team. </P>

Now can you say with a straight face that Tollfeson is any of those? </P>

Now don't get me wrong, I never said he is a great player, or even a starter. But I will be damned to see a fellow Giant fan say he sucks. </P>

*</P>Well I guess we just have different subjective views on this, Tollefson has not played good this year, therefore I said he sucked. If you use the term 'suck' differently then me or others, then you shouldn't make it the premise of your argument.

RoanokeFan
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Let's wait to see how much he practices, what effect it has on his injury, and if he practices again tomorrow.

SweetZombieJesus
12-28-2011, 04:40 PM

Take your time, Osi.

No way he takes snaps from JPP at this point, that ship has sailed. RDE is JPPs.

He might fight with Tolly for backup time and/or NASCAR in obvious passing downs.

jomo
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
The Giants aren’t kidding about being “all in” this week against the Dallas Cowboys. Even Osi Umenyiora might be “in”. In clearly the most shocking news of the day, Umenyiora, who wasn’t even supposed to test his injured ankle until later this week, will be on the practice field on Wednesday, according to Tom Coughlin. The banged-up defensive end will likely be limited, but considering it’s his first practice since he hurt his ankle on Nov. 28, it’s still big news. Coughlin said Umenyiora has already tested his injured ankle and injured knee, and he obviously has been cleared by Giants doctors to return. “He’s tested everything. Lots of times,” Coughlin said. “That’s what he’s been doing. He’s been working his tail off. He just hasn’t been able to get right.” He was believed to be so far from being “right” that a source close to Umenyiora said on Monday that his return could still be a “couple more weeks” away. The source added that Umenyiora planned to test his ankle on Thursday or Friday and might be able to push up his time table if he felt OK. Whether or not Umenyiora is actually able to play on Sunday night when the Giants face the Dallas Cowboys obviously depends on how his ankle responds to whatever work he does on the field this week. BY RALPH VACCHIANOHoping that this is <FONT size=6>a Willis Reed situation</FONT>.

In one of the most famous snapshots in NBA history, Reed, hindered by a torn thigh muscle that forced him to miss Game 6 of the Finals for the Knicks, dragged his leg onto the Madison Square Garden court to a hero’s welcome for Game 7 on May 8, 1970, and swished New York’s first two shots against the Lakers. The applause was thunderous and the energy it brought to Garden that night was incredible (I was there). Reed was a universally beloved player/leader/warrior. Osi is not quite there and has his detractors for sure. It may be a stretch but I would hope that if he came running out of that tunnel, the crowd and his teammates would react with great enthusiasm.

I'm not a huge Osi fan since the contract BS but if we can get that result from him coming onto the field I'll carry his helmet.
I don't think Reed ever held out lol! JPP is our feature guy no matter what on Sunday but a few quality reps from Osi to give him a breather would always help, especially since Romo is susceptability to the strip fumble. Go Blue!

GiantWarfare
12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Osi on obvious passing downs only...

Anything else and I'm not for it....

But anyone else feel like we're peaking at the right time?

I do.....

though I still pray to the football gods that the Giants dont pull the carpet from under us Sunday Night and shock us yet again w/ an unexplainable "flat" performance

Its do or die....WE HAVE TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS!!!

giantsfan420
12-28-2011, 08:21 PM

*</P>

*</P>

its comical anyone could hate on what tollefsons done for us this season. 5 sacks off the bench is a very nice addition. he aint an all star by any means...but, he has as many sacks if not more i believe than freeney, with more tackles and more forced fumbles. i agree with u ny06. i am very pleased with tollefson, and in no way does he "suck"...just a stupid claim that cant be backed up at all...tollefsons actually surprised me some. he's also made a couple of really clutch plays too.

fourth&forever
12-28-2011, 08:50 PM

*</P>Okay, well when is it acceptable to say a player sucks?
"Sucks" is just an opinion. In my opinion Tolly "does not suck".
Seems your opinion is in the minority.

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 10:15 PM
its comical anyone could hate on what tollefsons done for us this season. 5 sacks off the bench is a very nice addition. he aint an all star by any means...but, he has as many sacks if not more i believe than freeney, with more tackles and more forced fumbles. i agree with u ny06. i am very pleased with tollefson, and in no way does he "suck"...just a stupid claim that cant be backed up at all...tollefsons actually surprised me some. he's also made a couple of really clutch plays too.It's my subjective stance, I haven't tried to impose it on anyone. And by the way, Freeney has 2.5 more sacks and 30+ more pressures with an even amount of FFs then Tolly in only about 100 snaps more.

Maybe you should pick players that help your claim more, because when the player you pick hurts your claim more than it helps, I personally find it to be...comical.

giantsfan420
12-28-2011, 10:38 PM
its comical anyone could hate on what tollefsons done for us this season. 5 sacks off the bench is a very nice addition. he aint an all star by any means...but, he has as many sacks if not more i believe than freeney, with more tackles and more forced fumbles. i agree with u ny06. i am very pleased with tollefson, and in no way does he "suck"...just a stupid claim that cant be backed up at all...tollefsons actually surprised me some. he's also made a couple of really clutch plays too.It's my subjective stance, I haven't tried to impose it on anyone. And by the way, Freeney has 2.5 more sacks and 30+ more pressures with an even amount of FFs then Tolly in only about 100 snaps more.

Maybe you should pick players that help your claim more, because when the player you pick hurts your claim more than it helps, I personally find it to be...comical.

riiiight. sorry i didnt know freeneys stats exactly, i thought tollefson had more bc people were complaining how freeney could be a pro bowler with 12 tackles. i thought he had 5 sacks but 7 seems right. two off not a big deal.

but back to the point, some one was saying "he plays about 50% of the snaps" well if u were to compare that to some players who play a lot more snaps, like well, lets say von miller. in no way do i think tollefson is near the player miller is, but miller has i think 11 sacks? if he played half as many snaps as he had, it'd be close to 6 i guess. would he suck then?

i understand its ur opinion, and i think that its stupid. tollefson is not some great player. he's probably just avg. but that does not mean he sucks. he's made some clutch plays for the giants. he has 5 sacks. like some one else said, the opinion that tollefson sucks is the minority. and the reason its the minority opinion is bc its just plain stupid.

i'd be willing to wager that if u asked 10 intelligent giants/football fans, maybe 1 would say tollefson has sucked in the role he's been asked to play. ur that one. ur that guy.

btw, how would freeney hurt my claim? he's a starter whose played much much more snaps as a de. tollefsons snaps at de compared to freeney's snaps at de arent even close. u probably included the snaps tollefsons played at dt and st in ur "100" more snaps which i doubt is correct anyways. two more sacks, less tackles, and the same amount of FF, but freeney sucks too i guess right?
next

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 10:49 PM

riiiight. sorry i didnt know freeneys stats exactly, i thought tollefson had more bc people were complaining how freeney could be a pro bowler with 12 tackles. i thought he had 5 sacks but 7 seems right. two off not a big deal.

but back to the point, some one was saying "he plays about 50% of the snaps" well if u were to compare that to some players who play a lot more snaps, like well, lets say von miller. in no way do i think tollefson is near the player miller is, but miller has i think 11 sacks? if he played half as many snaps as he had, it'd be close to 6 i guess. would he suck then?

i understand its ur opinion, and i think that its stupid. tollefson is not some great player. he's probably just avg. but that does not mean he sucks. he's made some clutch plays for the giants. he has 5 sacks. like some one else said, the opinion that tollefson sucks is the minority. and the reason its the minority opinion is bc its just plain stupid.

i'd be willing to wager that if u asked 10 intelligent giants/football fans, maybe 1 would say tollefson has sucked in the role he's been asked to play. ur that one. ur that guy.

btw, how would freeney hurt my claim? he's a starter whose played much much more snaps as a de. tollefsons snaps at de compared to freeney's snaps at de arent even close. u probably included the snaps tollefsons played at dt and st in ur "100" more snaps which i doubt is correct anyways. two more sacks, less tackles, and the same amount of FF, but freeney sucks too i guess right?
nextTolly has played about 50% of our snaps and Freeney has played about 60% of his teams snaps. My claim that he sucks is influenced from what I've seen this year and that's a player that struggles rushing the passer and playing the run.

gmen0820
12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
As for your Von Miller comparison, you are seriously off.

1. I am not making any claims against Tollefson because of his 5 sacks.

2. Von Miller has been a beast in all phases of the game, run defense, pass defense, and very serviceable in pass coverage.

next.