PDA

View Full Version : Plax vs "H"icks

MikeIsaGiant
12-28-2011, 05:50 PM
I never start threads here, but I'll make it my first because I found it hilarious of a thread started earlier.

In today's world, who would you take, Nicks or Plax?

Come on guys, this is a tough question.

I'll say Nicks

MattMeyerBud
12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
in what ways do u think its tough? I think even Jet fans would say its a no brainer

MikeIsaGiant
12-28-2011, 05:56 PM
This thread was created because of one thread that stated Plax over Nicks is a better choice, so I am asking the GMB who they all think would be the better choice.

I don't have the sarcasm font color on this computer otherwise I would do it, but yano, it ain't tough

Firenugget
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Why are people still talking about Plax? He's a dog on a dog team. Let it go.

dave56dj
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Right now nicks hands Down- I would argue nicks is already better then plax ever was- plax never caught as many balls as Hakeem in his second year alone- still right now plax has 41 recs to Hakeem's 71 500 yards to Hakeem's 1000 it's not even close- say Sanchez is the factor but Keller and santonio have more recs and yards on his own team- plax is gettin old Hakeem is coming Into his prime

dave56dj
12-28-2011, 06:02 PM
If you're wondering why this is a thread you can check out an earlier thread about reggie Wayne where the op and poster no
Huddle make the astoundingly odd and shocking claim
They'd rather have plax right now then hakeem
And while the stats are insanely in Hakeem's favor apparently thats all on Sanchez despite better wideouts having great years with worse qbs and despite Holmes and Keller having better years on his own team despite Holmes drawing coverage not plax

DragonSoul
12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I never start threads here, but I'll make it my first because I found it hilarious of a thread started earlier.

I'll say NicksReally tough question? I hope that was sarcasm.

Obviously Nicks. While he has been injury prone, so has Plax.

Nicks is also a true professional, and does not cause the franchise, TC nor his QB any problems.

He has also shown he is a top tier WR, and can run any route, and do whatever is required of him, by the coaching staff/QB.

Roosevelt
12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Plax was our offensive MVP in 2007.

But that was then and this is now.

Nicks.

TheEnigma
12-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I'll take a 45 year old Randy Moss instead.

This team really lacks a veteran above 40 and a headcase of this magnitude.

ashleymarie
12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Nicks.

Roswell777
12-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Not much of a Plax guy. He belongs in green and in front of the TV in January.

Nicks any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Happy holidays.

barran21
12-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Today Nicks, but Plax was so great for us, until he changed his name to Harris Smith...

Sarcasman
12-28-2011, 06:36 PM

I'll say Nicks

There's nothing tough about it.

NIcks.

I'll take a very good player on the way up all day over a very good player on his way down.

Defcon4
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Great post. I don't think this is a no brainer at all. Would Plax have returned to his dominant form had he come back to the Giants instead of going to the Jets? That is the real question. Trying to compare his production with a different QB, in a different system, with a different supporting cast is a heady task.

I take '08 Plax over Nicks at any time. I remember what Plax was in this offense. I remember him as Eli's crutch. I used to get pissed because Eli would always check to see if Plax was open it seemed, even on run plays. He would throw into double, sometimes triple, coverage to get the ball to Plax.

Nicks, I feel is a better route runner on short and intermediate routes than Plax. They are both physical. Plax is the better run blocker. They both have shown that they will drop the easy pass and make the spectacular catch. I give the edge to Nicks in the YAC department.

Where Plax separated himself from Nicks, or at least where he used to be special ( I haven't watched him much this year as I could give a crap about the Jets) is bailing Eli out on bad passes or when Eli threw into double coverage.

As of yet Nicks has not shown this ability. This is what Nicks needs to do to become a true elite WR in my mind- catch the ball when he's not open and beat the double team every now and then. Eli is also a lot more selective with his passes now, so there is much less throwing into double coverage and bad throws coming Nicks way than what Plax saw when he was a Giant.

IMO the difference really showed up in the Skins game when Nicks couldn't get a TD pass from about 10 yards out. The Eli to Plax fade route was money in the bank.

If your just talking about who I want on my team now then Nicks is the obvious choice because of the age difference and he's still learning, still getting better.

With respect to Plax let's keep in mind it's his first season back from a 2 year layoff, so 500 yds and 8 TDs is nothing to sneeze at considering he's not their No. 1 option. He'll put up better stats next year.

slipknottin
12-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Nicks is better than Plax ever was, and Nicks is 23 while Plax is 33. How is this a question?

Defcon4
12-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Nicks is better than Plax ever was, and Nicks is 23 while Plax is 33. How is this a question?

Hands down Buress is a better red zone WR. Hands down Burress is a better run blocker.
Hands down Buress has shown an ability to catch the ball over a double team, while Nicks has not.

Yes this is a debatable question.

fourth&forever
12-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Hicks by a long shot.

slipknottin
12-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Hands down Buress is a better red zone WR. Hands down Burress is a better run blocker.
Hands down Buress has shown an ability to catch the ball over a double team, while Nicks has not.

You are completely wrong on all of your assumptions. Nicks is a better receiver in all aspects, and a better blocker.

Defcon4
12-28-2011, 11:32 PM

You are completely wrong on all of your assumptions. Nicks is a better receiver in all aspects, and a better blocker.

I can't be wrong it's an opinion based question.

jomo
12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Right now nicks hands Down- I would argue nicks is already better then plax ever was- plax never caught as many balls as Hakeem in his second year alone- still right now plax has 41 recs to Hakeem's 71 500 yards to Hakeem's 1000 it's not even close- say Sanchez is the factor but Keller and santonio have more recs and yards on his own team- plax is gettin old Hakeem is coming Into his prime<FONT color=#ff0000>Yeah but Plax is taller. [;)]</FONT>

MikeIsaGiant
12-29-2011, 02:06 PM

I'll say NicksReally tough question? I hope that was sarcasm.

Obviously Nicks. While he has been injury prone, so has Plax.

Nicks is also a true professional, and does not cause the franchise, TC nor his QB any problems.

He has also shown he is a top tier WR, and can run any route, and do whatever is required of him, by the coaching staff/QB.

I have no red font, so yes it was :)

G-Man67
12-29-2011, 02:17 PM

exactly, this is a young man's game ... i think i'd still rather have Manningham than Plax, altho Mario do have some ISSUES

RagTime Blue
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I often wonder if we'll ever see what Nicks can really do. He's been "hamstrung" his entire professional career.

But even if this season is an indicator of Hakeem's entire career, I'd take him over Burress.

Lining-up this Sunday, it's a slightly debatable question (given Nicks' recent play). But as far as who you'd rather have under contract, it's a no brainer. #88

TroyArcher
12-29-2011, 02:28 PM
I would take the guy who doesn't shoot himself.

fansince69
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM

I can't be wrong it's an opinion based question.

Hands down Burress had a terrible me first attitude and screw the team
Hands down Burress never practiced because of some phantom injury
hands down Burress would give up on plays because they weren't going to him
Hands down Burress would watch as the corner back that was on him would make an interception as he watched with his hands in the air and then not even attempt to make a tackle

If he was so great why didn't Pittsburgh want him back?

Hands down Nicks is a much much better receiver

The only thing that sticks out to most of you is that he caught a ball in the Superbowl and he dominated 1 game in Green bay and that brought him to elite status amongst the fans that were willing to for give all the rest of his personalty defects.

MikeIsaGiant
12-29-2011, 05:03 PM
You guys have to read, I said it like 5 times that my post was meant to be in RED.

It's a question based off a dumb remark.

MattMeyerBud
12-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Great post. I don't think this is a no brainer at all. Would Plax have returned to his dominant form had he come back to the Giants instead of going to the Jets? That is the real question. Trying to compare his production with a different QB, in a different system, with a different supporting cast is a heady task.

I take '08 Plax over Nicks at any time. I remember what Plax was in this offense. I remember him as Eli's crutch. I used to get pissed because Eli would always check to see if Plax was open it seemed, even on run plays. He would throw into double, sometimes triple, coverage to get the ball to Plax.

Nicks, I feel is a better route runner on short and intermediate routes than Plax. They are both physical. Plax is the better run blocker. They both have shown that they will drop the easy pass and make the spectacular catch. I give the edge to Nicks in the YAC department.

Where Plax separated himself from Nicks, or at least where he used to be special ( I haven't watched him much this year as I could give a crap about the Jets) is bailing Eli out on bad passes or when Eli threw into double coverage.

As of yet Nicks has not shown this ability. This is what Nicks needs to do to become a true elite WR in my mind- catch the ball when he's not open and beat the double team every now and then. Eli is also a lot more selective with his passes now, so there is much less throwing into double coverage and bad throws coming Nicks way than what Plax saw when he was a Giant.

IMO the difference really showed up in the Skins game when Nicks couldn't get a TD pass from about 10 yards out. The Eli to Plax fade route was money in the bank.

If your just talking about who I want on my team now then Nicks is the obvious choice because of the age difference and he's still learning, still getting better.

With respect to Plax let's keep in mind it's his first season back from a 2 year layoff, so 500 yds and 8 TDs is nothing to sneeze at considering he's not their No. 1 option. He'll put up better stats next year.

bottom line is that Nick's start to his career rivals only Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald.