PDA

View Full Version : 49ers 2010 Draft ... Could the Giants Learn Something?

Kruunch
04-16-2013, 08:54 AM
In 2010, the 49ers has two first round picks.

They chose Anthony Davis (RT) with the 11th pick overall whom they traded down to get and Mike Iupati with the 17th pick overall.

Both are considered very high picks for their positions.

However, arguably you could say that those picks have produced the change in the offense needed to elevate the 49ers to the Super Bowl contenders that they are now (coaching aside for the moment).

Are the Giants approaching the same need? While our offensive line only has one real question mark going into 2013 (RT), 2014 is a different story, with Kevin Boothe only signed for one year and Chris Snee talking retirement possibly in 2014.

Is this the year we finally pull the trigger on a first round OL? Should we? And if so, who?

Fluker, Cooper, Warmack, Watson and Johnson have all been mentioned as possibles for the Giants in the first round at one point or another during this draft season.

Carter.525
04-16-2013, 09:32 AM
if either Warmack or Cooper are sitting there at 19.. I can't imagine JR not pulling the trigger, it's time for an upgrade on the O-line

giantscolombia
04-16-2013, 09:47 AM
That would be amazing if we could replicate that. our O-line is getting older.

If we had a top 5 O-line in the run and pass our offense would be amazing.... having Eli sit in the pocket all day.

DarceChoke
04-16-2013, 09:58 AM
I think the difference though is that the 49ers had no QB and wanted to be an elite running team and elite defense. So that type of strategy makes sense. Rarely do you see a team with a top 10 QB drafting that way in round 1. The Jets did a similar thing although they took a LT and C.

Having said that I think the oline does need to be addressed and fairly early (the only real "need" on offense is G, RT). I would love to trade back or out of the first and get a combination of guys in round 2.

I think we can buy a year with Boothe at G. So maybe a mid round G is more likely due to the value and the opportunity to sit behind Boothe this year and develop. Even Warford in the 2nd makes some sense. With the skill people we have the idea of having a top oline as well is very enticing.

Redeyejedi
04-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I think the difference though is that the 49ers had no QB and wanted to be an elite running team and elite defense. So that type of strategy makes sense. Rarely do you see a team with a top 10 QB drafting that way in round 1. The Jets did a similar thing although they took a LT and C.

Having said that I think the oline does need to be addressed and fairly early (the only real "need" on offense is G, RT). I would love to trade back or out of the first and get a combination of guys in round 2.

I think we can buy a year with Boothe at G. So maybe a mid round G is more likely due to the value and the opportunity to sit behind Boothe this year and develop. Even Warford in the 2nd makes some sense. With the skill people we have the idea of having a top oline as well is very enticing.

Its exactly why. They needed an elite run game to compliment Alex Smith so they took 2 big road graders

BlessedinBlue22
04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
if either Warmack or Cooper are sitting there at 19.. I can't imagine JR not pulling the trigger, it's time for an upgrade on the O-line

I have a bad feeling that like tampa stealing doug martin the pick before, i beleive Reese wanted him also. I think Cooper may go at 18. and Warmack possibly a Jet to replace Matt Slauson.

GiantPride13
04-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Id be happy if either Warmack or Cooper fell to 19. If not id like to see the GMen trade down to the later 1st, and possible pick up another 3/4th pick, and select Fluker.

titwio
04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
In 2010, the 49ers has two first round picks.

They chose Anthony Davis (RT) with the 11th pick overall whom they traded down to get and Mike Iupati with the 17th pick overall.

Both are considered very high picks for their positions.

However, arguably you could say that those picks have produced the change in the offense needed to elevate the 49ers to the Super Bowl contenders that they are now (coaching aside for the moment).

Are the Giants approaching the same need? While our offensive line only has one real question mark going into 2013 (RT), 2014 is a different story, with Kevin Boothe only signed for one year and Chris Snee talking retirement possibly in 2014.

Is this the year we finally pull the trigger on a first round OL? Should we? And if so, who?

Fluker, Cooper, Warmack, Watson and Johnson have all been mentioned as possibles for the Giants in the first round at one point or another during this draft season.

Reminds me of the NY Jets draft in 2006 when they took Mangold and D'Brick both in the 1st round and rebuilt their O-line. The Giants are getting old and it's definitely time. Snee and Diehl are both getting up there and as of right now they don't have solid replacements. Brewer maybe but the jury is still out. Don't think the Giants can go all out like the 9ers did (or the NY Jets in 06) but OL is a need. Defense unfortunately is aging as well but if one of the stud G's is available, IMO, it's time to pull the trigger.

GiantPride13
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Pittsburgh Picks De'Castro(G) Followed by Adams (OT) last year to put some youth and athleticism into their aging OL. Exactly what the Giants Need!!

Kruunch
04-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Its exactly why. They needed an elite run game to compliment Alex Smith so they took 2 big road graders

Yeah but wouldn't a resurgent run game only to good things for us?

Sovereign
04-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Pittsburgh Picks De'Castro(G) Followed by Adams (OT) last year to put some youth and athleticism into their aging OL. Exactly what the Giants Need!!

Mike Adams sucks so...

Carter.525
04-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Mike Adams sucks so...that was the main guy I didn't want last year..

BlessedinBlue22
04-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Reminds me of the NY Jets draft in 2006 when they took Mangold and D'Brick both in the 1st round and rebuilt their O-line. The Giants are getting old and it's definitely time. Snee and Diehl are both getting up there and as of right now they don't have solid replacements. Brewer maybe but the jury is still out. Don't think the Giants can go all out like the 9ers did (or the NY Jets in 06) but OL is a need. Defense unfortunately is aging as well but if one of the stud G's is available, IMO, it's time to pull the trigger.

Yea, i remember Mangold and D'Brick...that draft helped the Jets gets to the superbowl and made them a playoff team for a while, even when they lost Kareem Mc Kenzie. I thought Shonn Greenes rookie year was phenonmenal one of the best, he was never quite the same. You could say New England tried that route as well, with Nate Solder, he's worked out, looks good at LT, even Indy with Anthony Castanzo.

GiantPride13
04-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Mike Adams sucks so...

1st - guys been in the league a year cant say he sucks yet.
2nd - My point is teams with elite QBs do bolster their OL to help their starters not just teams with s*it QBs to help their run game

Toadofsteel
04-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Eli with time to throw can make anyone a star receiver. Even Barden.

Drafting OL isn't just for the running game you know... those guys also protect the QB from pass rushers.

Kruunch
04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Yea, i remember Mangold and D'Brick...that draft helped the Jets gets to the superbowl and made them a playoff team for a while, even when they lost Kareem Mc Kenzie. I thought Shonn Greenes rookie year was phenonmenal one of the best, he was never quite the same. You could say New England tried that route as well, with Nate Solder, he's worked out, looks good at LT, even Indy with Anthony Castanzo.

The Jets went to the Super Bowl this millennium?!

titwio
04-22-2013, 01:54 PM
The Jets went to the Super Bowl this millennium?!

I think he meant something like one game short of the SB two years in a row.

slipknottin
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Thats what you have to do when you need your offensive foundation to be the running game, because they had very poor QB play.

Same as the Jets dumping multiple high picks into their OL.

Now compare that to the Colts with Manning, or the Saints with Brees. Both got to the SB with no high draft picks on the OL (maybe 1 here or there)

Kruunch
04-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Thats what you have to do when you need your offensive foundation to be the running game, because they had very poor QB play.

Same as the Jets dumping multiple high picks into their OL.

Now compare that to the Colts with Manning, or the Saints with Brees. Both got to the SB with no high draft picks on the OL (maybe 1 here or there)

That's true .... however our most dominant team was also when our Oline was the most dominant (2008).

Super Bowl victories aside, we're at our strongest when our OL is at its strongest (offensively).

That and we've seen collapses from both the Colts and Saints due specifically to neglecting their lines (both offensive and defensive).