PDA

View Full Version : If u think this Offseason was a Mess, Wait til Next's Years Offseason

T-Murda84
12-28-2011, 06:49 PM
I was looking at the expiring contracts at the end of this season and players with 1 year left after this season and its going to be a big mess.

Eli will be making $10.75M next season and deserves it...hes our franchise QB.

Jacobs will be making $4.4M next year in a backup role with Bradshad making $3M.

The Receiver situation is scary because Mario Manningham's contract will be up next year. Hakeem Nicks deserves more than $750k and Cruz deserves more than $490k...we could have a holdout here. Hixon is in his last year of his contract too. Jake Ballard is in his final year as well, I dont see Reese going out the way to give Ballard a big contract if some other team does.

The Offensive Line will see some changes. Mckenzie contract will be up, He most likely will not be resigned unless he takes a huge paycut. Snee will be making $5.7M and been underperforming, Diehl will be making 3.8M and Baas will get an increase next year from 1M to 3M next year.

At Defensive End...Osi will most likely make trade demands but JPP will be in his second year of his rookie contract and is only $825k, he deserves more than that. Canty will be making $6M...he needs to take a paycut or we will be seeing some holdouts there. Kiwi will be making 4M next season.

At Linebacker, Goff's contract is up, and he will be coming back from injury, Boley will make $4M.

At Secondary unit...we invested alot of money here and still we got players who really need to get paid more. Ross will not be resigned, unless they choose not to pay Thomas who is coming back from injury. Kenny Phillips will have one more year remaining and has been our best play in the secondary and still playing on a ROOKIE contract. Phillips may hold out because with his knee condition, I think its smart for him to make as much guaranteed money as he can.

Next year could be a big mess. I dont know all these players agents. But if they have Drew Rohenaus we are in big trouble. Next year, will almost look like a rebuilding period and imagine if we fire the coaching staff....we would really be rebuilding.

NYG 5
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't think it will be a huge issue since a lot of those guys are really expendable, especially manningham, his inconsistency isn't worth more than 1.5-2mil cap hit. I don't think ballard will cost much because I'm pretty sure he will be a RFA and let's be honest, he's Dan Campbell who made a once in a lifetime catch. A lot of these linemen are pushing towards 10th seasons, and have never been as good as they were in the first half of 2008. Its very similiar to how the Brown-Parker-Zeigler-Stone regression started going down.

The only issues I see are keeping Cruz and Kiwi

jomo
12-28-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't think it will be a huge issue since a lot of those guys are really expendable, especially manningham, his inconsistency isn't worth more than 1.5-2mil cap hit. I don't think ballard will cost much because I'm pretty sure he will be a RFA and let's be honest, he's Dan Campbell who made a once in a lifetime catch. A lot of these linemen are pushing towards 10th seasons, and have never been as good as they were in the first half of 2008. Its very similiar to how the Brown-Parker-Zeigler-Stone regression started going down. The only issues I see are keeping Cruz and KiwiI agree, I see much more opportunity in our contract situations than problems. I think we get to clean up thing considerably. An example would be in how thngs have changed for the better since pre-season at WR. Back then we didn't have any idea how good Cruz is. With his emergence we will get top production for minimal salary cap hit. At the same time we won't have to over pay MM for his considerable inconsistency and lack of field discipline.It's all part of the regenerating process and we will be fine.

Firenugget
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I think they find a way to keep Manningham. There's other fat to be cut.

slipknottin
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I very much doubt any of the young guys hold out, they know they are in contract years and will try to put up better numbers to earn more money. That's what the vast vast majority of players do. It's exceedingly rare for players to hold out, that's why it makes the news

RoanokeFan
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I was looking at the expiring contracts at the end of this season and players with 1 year left after this season and its going to be a big mess.

Jacobs will be making $4.4M next year in a backup role with Bradshad making $3M.

The Receiver situation is scary because Mario Manningham's contract will be up next year. Hakeem Nicks deserves more than $750k and Cruz deserves more than $490k...we could have a holdout here. Hixon is in his last year of his contract too. Jake Ballard is in his final year as well, I dont see Reese going out the way to give Ballard a big contract if some other team does.

The Offensive Line will see some changes. Mckenzie contract will be up, He most likely will not be resigned unless he takes a huge paycut. Snee will be making $5.7M and been underperforming, Diehl will be making 3.8M and Baas will get an increase next year from 1M to 3M next year.

At Defensive End...Osi will most likely make trade demands but JPP will be in his second year of his rookie contract and is only $825k, he deserves more than that. Canty will be making $6M...he needs to take a paycut or we will be seeing some holdouts there. Kiwi will be making 4M next season.

At Linebacker, Goff's contract is up, and he will be coming back from injury, Boley will make $4M.

At Secondary unit...we invested alot of money here and still we got players who really need to get paid more. Ross will not be resigned, unless they choose not to pay Thomas who is coming back from injury. Kenny Phillips will have one more year remaining and has been our best play in the secondary and still playing on a ROOKIE contract. Phillips may hold out because with his knee condition, I think its smart for him to make as much guaranteed money as he can.

Next year could be a big mess. I dont know all these players agents. But if they have Drew Rohenaus we are in big trouble. Next year, will almost look like a rebuilding period and imagine if we fire the coaching staff....we would really be rebuilding.

Don't be surprised if they let both Bradshaw and Jacobs go. Manningham will likely be gone and not that much of a loss given Nicks and Cruz. Barden should be released, IMO as should Beckum, Diehl, Baas and maybe McKenzie.

They have serious CAP ground to make up in order to get some decent FA's, short term, for the OLine and LB slots.

I'd sign Nicks and Cruz to long term extensions.

Dirt66
12-28-2011, 07:35 PM
MM has no leverage at all. If he doesn't like the Giants offer they let him walk. He is not going to be a great loss if he leaves. They'll trade Osi and move Kiwi BACK to DE again. As for the db's TT is a wait and see maybe a 1 year deal to see if he's ok, Ross is GONE!! They willbe fine.

slipknottin
12-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Releasing Beckum and Barden saves them very little in terms of cap.

No sense in cutting either unless they have other players that are upgrades.

RoanokeFan
12-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Slip, you could replace both of them as a upgrade!

slipknottin
12-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Slip, you could replace both of them as a upgrade!

Not disagreeing, but you keep both of them until you find their upgrades, and if it's aminor upgrade, you may chose not to do it if that player costs significantly more.

TuckYou
12-28-2011, 08:03 PM
I dont think Cruz or Nicks will hold out. Both seem humble, but you never know.</P>

gmen46
12-28-2011, 08:34 PM

Don't be surprised if they let both Bradshaw and Jacobs go.* Manningham will likely be gone and not that much of a loss given Nicks and Cruz.* Barden should be released, IMO as should Beckum, Diehl, Baas and maybe McKenzie.

They have serious CAP ground to make up in order to get some decent FA's, short term, for the OLine and LB slots.

I agree with every point you make.....although I'm not so sure AB gets let go. Yes, I know he has his recurring foot issues, but he truly is an attitude adjuster for the team, and for some opponents.

I think his value to the team lies beyond just his yardage. He picks up the whole offense, even when he gets just 35-40 yards in a game. And his presence in the game since his return sure has picked up Jacobs' game the last few weeks.

But everything else you list here would be good moves, imo, most especially signing long term extensions NOW with Nicks and Cruz.

NYfanatic
12-28-2011, 09:07 PM
We wont be in big trouble and here is why:
At QB:
Eli is making $10+Mil - Franchise Qb
RB:
Bradshaw $3+Mil - Good #
Jacobs - $4+Mil - He will be cut
WR:
Nicks $1+Mil - Resign him to a long term deal
Cruz - I believe he will be a RFA if so Resign him
Mario - FA - Resign only for $1-2 Mil
TE:
Ballard - I believe has a extra year left?
LT:
Beatty $1+Mil - Good #
LG:
Diehl $5+Mil - Cut him
C:
Bass $3+Mil - Cut him
RG:
Snee $6+Mil - I will let him slide for this year
RT:
Mckenzie - FA - Only resign for $1 Mil
LE:
Tuck $5+Mil -Good #
RE:
JPP - $3+Mil - Good #
Osi - $8+Mil - Trade him
DT:
Canty - $6+Mil - Cut/Trade/restructure makes way too much
Joesph and Austin are making about $1+Mil each - Good #
LOLB:
Boley: $5+Mil - Ok....
MLB:
Goff - FA - Resign for $2-4 Mil.
Herzlich and Jones and Williams are all under $1Mil so good
ROLB:
Kiwi $3+Mil - Good #
CB:
Webster $9+Mil - could be lower..
Thomas - FA - Resign with the Kiwi 2 year deal
Prince $2+Mil - Good #
Ross - FA - Resign only for $1-3Mil
FS:
Rolle $6+Mil - Has to be Cut/Trade or restructured. Way too high.
SS:
Phillips $3+Mil - Good #
Kicker + Punter
Tynes $1.5Mil - Would like to search for a better K
Weatherford - FA - Been good for dirt cheap. Try to resign
The CAP situation isnt bad...

JJC7301
12-28-2011, 11:32 PM

RB - I'd probably keep BJ AND AB 1 more year, unless they draft a highly touted RB ready to play.

WR - sign Nicks and Cruz. MM will sign somewhere else as a # 2. Lets see what Barden can do as a # 3 (unless they draft a WR).

TE - I'm not breaking the bank for Ballard, and Ballard may want to stick around a little longer with the QB that put him on the map. The Giants need to figure him out early, though, and draft a TE if Ballard splits.

OL - they should have started addressing this last year and are now playing catchup. I'd love to draft a LB in the 1st, but I really believe that their 1st pick this year will be on the OL. The Giants have done a good job of turning lower drafted picks on the OL into good talent, so hopefully they can do it again.

DE - Osi's got to go for cap space alone, and Kiwi should be moved up to DE full time. If they draft a DE in the 1st round (like they are prone to do), then I'd probably trade Kiwi as well for cap space. DT -- hopefully Austin can contribute next year alongside Joseph and Canty. I'd let Bernard go.

LB - They should be able to keep Goff cheap for at least one year. I keep Boley, and move Kiwi up to DE or trade him if we draft another. Time to draft / sign some real LBs.

Secondary -- you're right...we've spent a lot of money and picks on this unit. Web and Phillips stay and I sign TT if he'll take a 1-yr deal and passes the physical. I keep Rolle assuming he's allowed to play to his strengths next year. Plus we've got Prince. It's about time this unit solidify once and for all.

I'm not interested in bringing in big name FAs anyway. Draft your superstar talent and fill in the gaps with capable starters (i.e. AP) and backups via FA.

TrueBlue07
12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
do you guys have a website you're using to see the players salaries and what their cap #s are?

JJC7301
12-29-2011, 12:11 AM
At QB:
RB:
Bradshaw $3+Mil - Good #
WR:
TE:
LT:
Beatty $1+Mil - Good #
LG:
Diehl $5+Mil - Cut him
C:
Bass $3+Mil - Cut him
RG:
RT:
LE:
Tuck $5+Mil -Good #
RE:
JPP - $3+Mil - Good #
Osi - $8+Mil - Trade him
DT:
LOLB:
MLB:
ROLB:
Kiwi $3+Mil - Good #
CB:
Prince $2+Mil - Good #
FS:
SS:
Phillips $3+Mil - Good #
Kicker + Punter

$3 mil for a center is good. I give Bass another shot.
Osi - agree.
Agree on Canty and Rolle.
Tynes is a good kicker and $1.5 is fair.
Weatherford - DON'T lose this guy.
Diehl & McKenzie -- I agree about their salaries, but they need to be replaced as well. I'd keep Diehl as a back-up with a big pay cut. Draft another RT to learn under Mac for one year.

Rich4114
12-29-2011, 02:38 PM

Don't be surprised if they let both Bradshaw and Jacobs go. Manningham will likely be gone and not that much of a loss given Nicks and Cruz. Barden should be released, IMO as should Beckum, Diehl, Baas and maybe McKenzie.

They won't let Bradshaw go and no way should they release Barden. Barden could easily step in and take the #3 WR spot as he can play slot believe it or not. Once he got on the field this year he's made plays in his limited opportunities. I think the Jets game was the first time I've seen him not make the best of his chances. I'm still very high on Barden and I think if we make the playoffs he becomes a big factor.

Bass better be gone and I think Diehl has got to be finished. McKenzie is likely going to retire at this point. Beckum should be cut to make room for a real TE.

And if anyone wants to pay Jake Ballard a bunch of money, be my guest. He's played well but he is FAR from a star at TE. I would love to see us go after Jermichael Finley anyway with the money we were going to give to Boss. Only concern is can Finley block well enough.

Canty has to be cut. $6m is just not worth it for a hybrid DE/DT playing DT for us. We need more push up the middle and as long as Austin is coming along he is our long term starter there.

I think Ross will be resigned for cheap, Goff will be resigned for cheap, and the jury is out on T2. It could be another Steve Smith situation.

Also, assuming Manningham is gone I fully expect to see Steve Smith back.

TroyArcher
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Jacobs will be let go but we will need another RB as Bradshaw can not be a full time RB with 20+ carries every game. I like Hixon but the guy is just too injury prone. If Manningham gets greedy let him go and give Barden a shot. I like Ballard and hope he stays but I also liked Boss. We need to upgrade at Offensive Tackle. I think Kmac needs to step down. I don't like Baas, too much finesse, not enough smash mouth. I would say Webster is our best player in the secondary.

TuckYou
12-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Our situation is going to get worse and worse with Eli's contract. He counts as something like 22m against the cap in 2016.

And to be honest, I'm not as sure as you guys that Jacobs OS cut next season. Teams still are affraid of tackling him. He complements Bradshaw great.

burier
12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I think there's gonna be some smoke in the city over Canty's bloated contract. He must take a pay cut and a drastic pay cut. I can see that being problematic.

Manningham is gonna ask for too much money but he might come crawling back when he can't get it from anybody so we'll see.

T2 I think is done as a Giants unless he's ready to sign for dirt cheap. He's damanged goods.

JPP will get taken care of.

Cruz might get a contract that has the big money set off a year a so...a "Lets see you do it again
kind of contract. Shouldn't be that biga deal.

There's nothing we can do about Kiwi's contract. With all this joker business and the fact that he hasn't missed a game you can't even approach him about taking a pay cut.

We can get rid of Rocky Bernard, David Diehl (Who I wanted to keep before I saw his salary) and that frees up money. If Canty won't play ball we can ditch his contract with a trade.

I think Kenny Phillips will stand pat but if he doesn't we should have enough wiggle room to keep him happy. He won't ask for anything too crazy anyway.

Also I know Antrel Rolle is making TOO much money so he needs to restructure as well.

Jacobs is working on a restructured contract so either we pay him what he's due or cut him. I think we cut him unfortunately.

*Oh and Baas must take a drastic Pay cut*

Edit: I just want to add that Eli's contract isnt the problem

Its Canty, Rolle, Bernard, Baas. These overrated free agents who are getting too much money. All of those contracts need to be taken off the books or drastically restructured.

T-Murda84
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Bernards contract isnt the problem anymore because he was cut and then resigned for less money this year. I need to find a website showing every players guaranteed money. We cant cut Canty without taking a huge cap hit. We can always restructure Canty's contract.

The scary thing with out situtation is that we have young guys like JPP, Nicks, and Cruz performing well under rookie contracts and then we have long time Giant players who Once had success but have been free falling the last year or 2. Also dont forget Thomas and Phillips are still playing under rookie contracts...and if they stayed healthy their entire career so far, I think we would of been seeing some sort of hold out or players playing unhappy.

Canty's contract is the reason we didnt bring Cofield back in. Kiwanuka just got a new contract, and we were lucky Osi decided to play anyway after seeing that. I think next year, we will see a lot more moves to reshape the face of this organization. In the NFL, u never know how long ur career will last u, this is why u see athletes holding out after outperforming their rookie contracts.

Tony Bruno
12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Osi, jacobs, canty, manningham, Benard, Grant, Carr, and an olineman may not be back...

RoanokeFan
12-29-2011, 07:35 PM

They won't let Bradshaw go and no way should they release Barden. Barden could easily step in and take the #3 WR spot as he can play slot believe it or not. Once he got on the field this year he's made plays in his limited opportunities. I think the Jets game was the first time I've seen him not make the best of his chances. I'm still very high on Barden and I think if we make the playoffs he becomes a big factor.

Bass better be gone and I think Diehl has got to be finished. McKenzie is likely going to retire at this point. Beckum should be cut to make room for a real TE.

And if anyone wants to pay Jake Ballard a bunch of money, be my guest. He's played well but he is FAR from a star at TE. I would love to see us go after Jermichael Finley anyway with the money we were going to give to Boss. Only concern is can Finley block well enough.

Canty has to be cut. $6m is just not worth it for a hybrid DE/DT playing DT for us. We need more push up the middle and as long as Austin is coming along he is our long term starter there.

I think Ross will be resigned for cheap, Goff will be resigned for cheap, and the jury is out on T2. It could be another Steve Smith situation.

Also, assuming Manningham is gone I fully expect to see Steve Smith back.

The once again inured Steve Smith? The Steve Smith who has repeatedly called John Mara a liar? The Steve Smith whose departure brought us Victor Cruz? He was offered $1M to stay, and nurse himself back into football shape. He took $2M, played before he should have, and is now on IR. How much less than $1M do you think Reese would offer him now, given the totality of their relationship?

Barden has had opportunities to move him ahead and he's not been able to do that. Whether it's a lack of talent or his being injured isn't important. He's not yet proven he can handle being a receievr in the NFL.

I wouldn't be so quick to cut Jake Ballard unless we have someone who can replace him, which we don't at the moment. If we draft a TE it's not likely he would be an immediate improvement.

Bradshaw is injury prone and misses too many games. His feet and ankles just can't take the stress he puts on them with his style of running.

I support every player on the team as long as they are wearing that uniform. But at some point hard decisions have to be made about players whose time has run out.

Obviously, we don't get to make any of these calls so we're just gong to have to wait and see hows it all unfolds.

njsean
12-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm all for getting Rolle off the books, but I'd really like to find a way to keep Canty around.

Guy makes plays for us. He's got an inflated price tag, sure, but he's no scrub.

As far Barden - I don't see his cap space being a problem to see if he can hold down the position of a 3rd wide out. He'll at least get a chance to compete in camp against JJ or whoever else gets brought in.

Beckum's cap hit might be small, but whatever, the guys useless like knockers on a kangaroo.

Mario'll be gone, Osi'll be gone, and I'd like Kiwi back to being full-time DE. Which means we must, GASP, draft a LBer. I'd like to go LB, OL, TE, RB, OL, LB, OL in the draft!

Voldamort
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Dude why such a downer go have some fun!!! Go have a drink and Watch Giants among Men!!!

gumby742
12-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Dude why such a downer go have some fun!!! Go have a drink and Watch Giants among Men!!!

Hilarious user name and avatar.

sinn fein
12-29-2011, 09:08 PM
WE HAD OUR CHANCE AT RB LAST YEAR.INGRAM REMEMBER HIM? we took no prince.i hope he turns out to be WAY better than what ive seen. talk about lost.

Tony Bruno
12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
At QB:
RB:
Bradshaw $3+Mil - Good #
WR:
TE:
LT:
Beatty $1+Mil - Good #
LG:
Diehl $5+Mil - Cut him
C:
Bass $3+Mil - Cut him
RG:
RT:
LE:
Tuck $5+Mil -Good #
RE:
JPP - $3+Mil - Good #
Osi - $8+Mil - Trade him
DT:
LOLB:
MLB:
ROLB:
Kiwi $3+Mil - Good #
CB:
Prince $2+Mil - Good #
FS:
SS:
Phillips $3+Mil - Good #
Kicker + Punter

Nice research!

Tony Bruno
12-29-2011, 09:25 PM
WE HAD OUR CHANCE AT RB LAST YEAR.INGRAM REMEMBER HIM? we took no prince.i hope he turns out to be WAY better than what ive seen. talk about lost.

That Sean Peyton man... He can make a spot on the O for anyone... It's a bit tougher to be a quality cb than rb though...