PDA

View Full Version : Screw that, we need to build our Oline:

TuckYou
12-29-2011, 01:08 AM
With our first pick in the draft, I have been saying for 2 years, it needs to be an OL man. Yes, Im extremely happry we have JPP. And I still think Prince was a steal at 19 even though many feel he sucks for some weird reason I have yet to understand, but I will tell you this. Without a good Oline you can not win in this league.</P>

Kmac is at the end, along with Diehl. That is our 2 Tackles. Beatty still isnt there yet and who knows how big his ceiling is. He looked good at times, but still, that is only one tackle. Add in the HORRIBLE signing of Baas, and we are in trouble. </P>

Need to draft boring picks early. Olinemen. </P>

We need to find that elite LT for the next 10 years. Move Beaty to RT. Have Booth at center till we can upgrade. </P>

Olines make running backs! Not the other way around. Ward ran for 1000 yards behind a solid oline. Look at him now. </P>

I understand this is a passing league now and Gilbride loves it, but it wont win in dec and playoffs.</P>

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 01:37 AM
With our first pick in the draft, I have been saying for 2 years, it needs to be an OL man. Yes, Im extremely happry we have JPP. And I still think Prince was a steal at 19 even though many feel he sucks for some weird reason I have yet to understand, but I will tell you this. Without a good Oline you can not win in this league.</P>

Kmac is at the end, along with Diehl. That is our 2 Tackles. Beatty still isnt there yet and who knows how big his ceiling is. He looked good at times, but still, that is only one tackle. Add in the HORRIBLE signing of Baas, and we are in trouble. </P>

We need to find that elite LT for the next 10 years. Move Beaty to RT. Have Booth at center till we can upgrade. </P>

Olines make running backs! Not the other way around. Ward ran for 1000 yards behind a solid oline. Look at him now. </P>

I understand this is a passing league now and Gilbride loves it, but it wont win in dec and playoffs.</P>

How many 1st round picks, that were OL, are doing anything besides Smith???

Last year, I agreed with this assessment, but not this year. I want to see Brewer before I say draft another RT. We groom good OL's. I have been saying Petrus will be a beast and look what he did this year in a short time. Give brewer a chance before drafting another RT. Thats the reason we brought brewer here, to be the rt of the future.

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
I like Petrus as our LG. I don't think a G is worth our first 3 picks because of how high of a regard I hold and have held Petrus in since he was drafted.

Maybe a C early, I mean Konz is one of my fav OL prospect. As for the tackles, this is where I am concerned. Reiff and Kalil will go way earlier then we can draft them do we have to look into later rounds. I'm a huge fan of both Nate Potter and Matt Reynolds.

We need to prioritize DT in my opinion. I'm a huge Canty and Linval fan but we need more then 2. If one is to go down we have Rocky Bernard and a Marvin Austin who hasn't played football in two years.

giantsfan420
12-29-2011, 01:49 AM
petrus is a good run blocking guard but struggles in pass protection. this offseason i expect the giants OL coaches to coach his technique up.

petrus/snee=set at guard imo
beatty is a good lt imo. so lt is set.
brewer is a development pick who predraft scouts said had the ability to be a solid LT/exceptional RT.

Baas, with a better surrounding cast, could be very good.

i think next year our OL will be younger and more talented. this year our OL has sucked ball sack. next year i think it could be a strength providing the coaches can improve upon the talent.

if the BPA is a standout tackle prospect, i could see that being the pick.

guard...dont think we need to waste a pick on in the first 3 rounds.

i'd like to get a game changer LB which should be there 1rst round
or if somehow we get lucky Blackmon at WR...i can dream lol

but i see LB, DB, RB being the more pressing needs and to be addressed first 3 rounds

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 01:55 AM
petrus is a good run blocking guard but struggles in pass protection. this offseason i expect the giants OL coaches to coach his technique up.

brewer is a development pick who predraft scouts said had the ability to be a solid LT/exceptional RT.

i think next year our OL will be younger and more talented. this year our OL has sucked ball sack. next year i think it could be a strength providing the coaches can improve upon the talent.

but i see LB, DB, RB being the more pressing needs and to be addressed first 3 rounds
agreed man, I see our OL problems fixable and not by drafting an OL 1st round. Thats not guaranteed to fix anything...I cannot wait to see Brewer, he was praised very highly by alot of draft experts, just saying he needed to fix his technique. I want to see what a full off season can do before i draft a tackle in the 1st round. If JR wont draft a MLB in the 1st round, one of the most coveted positions in the OL, I cannot see him drafting a OL either. I see us drafting OL, maybe 3rd 4th...BTW i have been calling for petrus for a longgg time now..kid is a mauler, wait until he gets some off season in him..we are set at G, LT.....heck throw boothe at center and put baas at guard if we had to, its his original position anyways...If we see good things from brewer...all we need is depth

giantsfan420
12-29-2011, 01:57 AM

agreed man, I see our OL problems fixable and not by drafting an OL 1st round. Thats not guaranteed to fix anything...I cannot wait to see Brewer, he was praised very highly by alot of draft experts, just saying he needed to fix his technique. I want to see what a full off season can do before i draft a tackle in the 1st round. If JR wont draft a MLB in the 1st round, one of the most coveted positions in the OL, I cannot see him drafting a OL either. I see us drafting OL, maybe 3rd 4th...BTW i have been calling for petrus for a longgg time now..kid is a mauler, wait until he gets some off season in him..we are set at G, LT.....heck throw boothe at center and put baas at guard if we had to, its his original position anyways...If we see good things from brewer...all we need is depth
+1...i could see DT being something we look at early too

Bohemian
12-29-2011, 02:05 AM
If there is anything that I have learned over the years of watching the draft, it is that with the first pick one takes the best player available. I do want our team to build up the Oline too, but I do think that it is not exclusively dependent on the first round of the draft. Look at how many great Olineman we have attained over the years by being strategic with our picks. Snee comes to mind, as he was not a first rounder... and I believe that Jumbo Elliott was a second round pick too... and he had a great career. But that having been said, if the best player available in the draft is an Oliman, then he should be our pick.

Good topic!

Spizi
12-29-2011, 02:11 AM

Screw drafting an oline early! Carl Nicks must be our number 1 FA target. Instant upgrade vs a project that might not pan out.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 02:15 AM

Screw drafting an oline early! Carl Nicks must be our number 1 FA target. Instant upgrade vs a project that might not pan out.
Unless we cut some serious fat off this steak called cap space, we are not going to be able afford Nicks.

BurnerNYG
12-29-2011, 04:25 AM
I was looking at a mock draft that had us taking Cordy Glenn(OG) from Georgia. Maybe you'll get your wish.

BurnerNYG
12-29-2011, 04:30 AM

Unless we cut some serious fat off this steak called cap space, we are not going to be able afford Nicks.I got a feeling that Nicks is ready to run back down to NC anyway. That dude had a ski mask underneath his helmet... lol.

brad
12-29-2011, 06:46 AM
If there is anything that I have learned over the years of watching the draft, it is that with the first pick one takes the best player available.* I do want our team to build up the Oline too, but I do think that it is not exclusively dependent on the first round of the draft.* Look at how many great Olineman we have attained over the years by being strategic with our picks.* Snee comes to mind, as he was not a first rounder... and I believe that Jumbo Elliott was a second round pick too... and he had a great career.* But that having been said, if the best player available in the draft is an Oliman, then he should be our pick.

Good topic!

+1 Could not have said it better

tonyt830
12-29-2011, 07:38 AM
I like Petrus as our LG. I don't think a G is worth our first 3 picks because of how high of a regard I hold and have held Petrus in since he was drafted.

Maybe a C early, I mean Konz is one of my fav OL prospect. As for the tackles, this is where I am concerned. Reiff and Kalil will go way earlier then we can draft them do we have to look into later rounds. I'm a huge fan of both Nate Potter and Matt Reynolds.

We need to prioritize DT in my opinion. I'm a huge Canty and Linval fan but we need more then 2. If one is to go down we have Rocky Bernard and a Marvin Austin who hasn't played football in two years.Agreed, Konz would be a nice addition to our O-line. there's something about those Wisconsin O-linemen they grow up there.

I would not mind maybe a Ben Jones, if the Giants decide to pursue a C/G in the draft. He might be available in the 3rd rd.

As for tackle, I also am a fan of Nate Potter from Boise St. Maybe a 3rd rd prospect?

The more I think about it, the more I would agree that a DT could be a priority in the coming offseason.

TrueBlue07
12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
they do need an OL but the problem is at their pick in the draft there hasn't been a clear cut guy to take. Who have they passed up on that made the fanbase furious? They can't pass up a guy like Prince and take someone who should be going 20 picks later just for the sake of getting a position. You could say they need to trade up, but if they did that I'd like to see it for a LB

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 12:55 PM

We need to prioritize DT in my opinion. I'm a huge Canty and Linval fan but we need more then 2. If one is to go down we have Rocky Bernard and a Marvin Austin who hasn't played football in two years.Agreed, Konz would be a nice addition to our O-line. there's something about those Wisconsin O-linemen they grow up there.

I would not mind maybe a Ben Jones, if the Giants decide to pursue a C/G in the draft. He might be available in the 3rd rd.

As for tackle, I also am a fan of Nate Potter from Boise St. Maybe a 3rd rd prospect?

The more I think about it, the more I would agree that a DT could be a priority in the coming offseason.Yup this all reflects my mock Giants draft.

1. Devon Still or Luke Kuechly
2. Vinny Curry
3. Nate Potter
4. Doug Martin
5. Matt Reynolds

daynemustgo
12-29-2011, 12:57 PM
needs at LB...10+ years and counting

giantsfan420
12-29-2011, 01:00 PM

hey buddy.

how'd that bet end up turning out? guess ur whole 6 win if we're lucky thing was off. u had us not even being in the playoff picture right?

what was the bets stipulations and parameters? what happens to the person who loses the bet again?

Spizi
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Screw drafting an oline early! Carl Nicks must be our number 1 FA target. Instant upgrade vs a project that might nrot pan out.
Unless we cut some serious fat off this steak called cap space, we are not going to be able afford Nicks.

See my sig. Cut Diehl, Jacobs, Canty, Baas. Kmacs huge contract will be gone as well as manningham.

myles2424
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Oline needs helpy by week 1, which is the exact reason we don't need to draft one in the 1st......FA is the answer

TuckYou
12-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Oline needs helpy by week 1, which is the exact reason we don't need to draft one in the 1st......FA is the answer

Unfortunately Baas and Snee are making a ton of money on the oline already.

burier
12-29-2011, 01:48 PM
A good way to deep 6 your team is by drafting Olineman early.

There should be no consideration for a 0lineman before round 3.

Remember Robert Gallery?

Jake Long? he's a great player and all but I'm thinking Miami wishes they would have gone Quarterback in that draft.

DeBrickashaw was nice pick too but he got undressed by JPP and the Jets still can't run the ball consistently.

First round is for Skill positions on offense and game changers on defense.

Chris Snee was taken in the Third round.

Lets keep it real. We need a linebacker. I'm all for taking the best available but WE NEED A LINEBACKER. I think we can draft need one time.

But whatever we do we can't take an O lineman. We just can't

TuckYou
12-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Remember Robert Gallery?

Jake Long? he's a great player and all but I'm thinking Miami wishes they would have gone Quarterback in that draft.

DeBrickashaw was nice pick too but he got undressed by JPP and the Jets still can't run the ball consistently.

Lets keep it real. We need a linebacker. I'm all for taking the best available but WE NEED A LINEBACKER. I think we can draft need one time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a LB. I've been saying LB or OL for the past couple of years. And Snee was a 2nd rounder not a 3rd. In fact, 4 th pick in the 2nd, so pretty much a late first rounder.

daynemustgo
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM

hey buddy.

how'd that bet end up turning out? guess ur whole 6 win if we're lucky thing was off. u had us not even being in the playoff picture right?

what was the bets stipulations and parameters? what happens to the person who loses the bet again?

Delicreep showed mercy (note sig and avatar)

yatitle
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Last 1st round OL for Giants? Luke Pettigout. Yikes!

burier
12-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Remember Robert Gallery?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a LB. I've been saying LB or OL for the past couple of years. And Snee was a 2nd rounder not a 3rd. In fact, 4 th pick in the 2nd, so pretty much a late first rounder.

Riiight my mistake. I think I was wishing he was a third rounder. Snee was a total reach in the 2nd round and we're paying for it now actually.

Tony Bruno
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I t dont matter who we draft or get the coaches simply dont play the players until they starters get hurt.. Then we are stuck with 2-4 year rookies basically.. There is no reason why some othe Oline have nbot played considering how banged up the oline was... And when the starter gets better regardless of how the other guy is playing they get bumped... Its crap to say the least... I mean look at Pertus.. ben on the team how long??? What really has to happen to get him in the game??? I guyess the entire Oline must go down before they play him...???

netplus
12-29-2011, 08:41 PM
needs at LB...10+ years and counting</P>

Remember how fun it was to watch the Giants D when they hadLT, Carson, Banks, and Reasons?</P>

daynemustgo
12-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Remember how fun it was to watch the Giants D when they had*LT, Carson, Banks, and Reasons?</P>

The Big Blue Wrecking Crew...

It's hard to go from those guys to barrett green, carlos emmons, lavar arrington, chase blackburn, etc.

jomo
12-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Remember how fun it was to watch the Giants D when they hadLT, Carson, Banks, and Reasons?</P>........+Headen and Hunt with Van Pelt on the front end of that. How good was that?!

Furiator
12-29-2011, 09:18 PM
With KM being a free agent, Tackle is a need. But there will be plenty of FA's too. I like Petrus, Snee, and Beatty. I think that Baas will be given a chance to heal. I don't want to see a 1st rounder, but more like a 2nd or 3rd.

LB is still our top priority. We have DB's on IR who can contribute next year. We have a log jam at DT and DE as is. Another TE would be nice. Will the WR positon need depth if Manningham goes?

I think you are on target, OL and LB are the priorities for this team.

netplus
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
....+Headen and Hunt with Van Pelt on the front end of that. How good was that?!</P>

I liked The Crunch Bunch better: Van Pelt (RIP), Carson, LT, and Kelley.</P>