PDA

View Full Version : EDITED: Listen to Mel Kiper/Ralph V/La Greca..when Giants selected JPP...

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 03:20 AM
EDITED: OP pointed out that it wasnt Kiper, it was Don la greco speaking at the end. Couldn't tell. My mistake fellas, I apologize.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?id=5130738

Awesome....JPP, they might have had doubts, we may have had doubts, good thing you shut everyone up!

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 03:27 AM
You're better off not listening to Mel Kiper Jr.

Him and McShay are ****ing pathetic.

BurnerNYG
12-29-2011, 03:28 AM
Mel Kiper's not as smart as he think he is. Maybe he inhaled too much of those fumes of that hairspray he be saturating his head with.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 03:55 AM

Oh yeah I definately know that, that is why I posted it...I love when Kiper n mcshay are completely off. Mayock is solid IMO

BlueSanta
12-29-2011, 06:22 AM
like many, Im not a big Kiper fan. But I give him props for 1 thing, he will state his mind even if it is a negative opinion. Mayock is clearly better, but he will not say anything bad about anyone. Its classy no doubt, but its also kind of annoying when your talking about a guy paid to give his opinion. Mayock's lack of negativity and being a former player garner him popularity/respect among players and front offices arond the league. He has connections that get him better inside info than both Kiper and McShay. Therefor his drafts are more accurate.

But, Kiper will tell you what he thinks either way. For that, I appreciate him even if I often disagree with him.

And to be very fair, Kiper is often wrong but so are the best GMs in the business. Its a very imperfect science. Kiper works hard, he gives his opinion(what he is paid to do) and lives with it. I can respect that, even if I think his opinion is often wrong.

And lastly, to be fair, MANY people on these boards said MUCH worse things than Kiper about the JPP pick in 2010....

JazzyJoe
12-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Kiper never said such a thing. He was extremely high on JPP. Had him going to the Jags at a 11. Your link doesn't even have a quote from Kiper in it.

Direct quote from Kiper: "Pierre-Paul could be the Mario Williams of this draft class, a raw talent but one with remarkable athleticism and an incredible burst off the line," Kiper writes.

tonyt830
12-29-2011, 10:05 AM
I was so glad when NFL Network became available on my cable/satellite.

I am more of a Mayock fan than Kiper or mcShay.

Redeyejedi
12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
"boy, did they waste this pick at #15" - Mel Kiper

Awesome....JPP, they might have had doubts, we may have had doubts, good thing you shut everyone up! Thanks for posting this

Giantsin04
12-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Kiper never said such a thing. He was extremely high on JPP. Had him going to the Jags at a 11. Your link doesn't even have a quote from Kiper in it.

Direct quote from Kiper: "Pierre-Paul could be the Mario Williams of this draft class, a raw talent but one with remarkable athleticism and an incredible burst off the line," Kiper writes.

+1

I even listened to the audio clip in this link. Nothing but praise.

OP, What gives?

TrueBlue2180
12-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Awesome....JPP, they might have had doubts, we may have had doubts, good thing you shut everyone up!

I don't like Kiper, but he had nothing bad to say. He said that he could develop into a "fierce pass rusher in this league" in the "mold of Osi Umenyiora."

In the last 5 seconds Don La Greca of ESPN New York radio asked (paraphrasing), "Is this a pick where we will look back and say, 'wow, what athleticism, what a player,' or will we look back and say, 'boy, did they waste this pick at 15."

Vtgmenfan89
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Oh yeah I definately know that, that is why I posted it...I love when Kiper n mcshay are completely off. Mayock is solid IMO

Mayock is the man, very high football IQ and really good at evaluating talent. I like when he does the commentary for nfl networks games too, goes very in depth with the plays. I always watch the nfl network draft coverage over bspn, Kiper is simply amusing because he's so ridiculous, that's it.

G-Man67
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
he's a buffoon, i'd sooner take draft advice from Fooch :)

GMENAGAIN
12-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Huh? Kiper said no such thing.

GiantsYanks
12-29-2011, 11:31 AM

OP when did Mel say this? I only recall him saying nothing but good things about JPP. In fact he had him ranked in the top 15 over picks that year. What's this article have to do with this quote?

jhamburg
12-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Mario Williams wishes

bg79
12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I was practically throwing things at my tv in anger when we selected him. I am sure that many here were experiencing the same. I am happy to eat my words on this one but Kiper didnt exactly give a completely wacky opinion. This was a Giants D with a lot of holes, especially at linebacker and one of the few positions of strength was the one we used a 1st round on to select a guy who was a longshot project.

Redeyejedi
12-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank god for us the Bucs got scared off on him.I remember the Bucs were really,really high on JPP. I remember there was some talk of them using the 3rd pick on him. I at the time thought it was insane to use that high of a pick on him but now looking back, the Bucs scouts were right. I believe they didnt do it because of Gaines Adams a few years before and didnt want to take another raw defensive end. There were plenty of draft sites were I saw Bucs fans freaking out that the Bucs were even considering such a move. I really wonder if they let other peoples opinions sway them or Mccoy was just rated higher. No way we will ever know but could u imagine the backlash they would of received had they picked him. Every analyst would of ripped them and they would of been right. Im glad Mcclain wasnt on the board when the Giants picked because the Giants FO would of had considerable pressure from the fan base to take him.They would of been ripped apart by the media here had they passed on the LB. If JPP was really as high on there overall board as rumored they absolutly got there man

Ruttiger711
12-29-2011, 11:44 AM

the WHOLE quote at the end of the audio clip was about taking JPP and him being a project because of his 1 year of college play...

"So it's a pick that we may look back and say 'wow, what a coo, what athleticism, what a move by the Giants' OR we could look it and say 'boy did they waste this pick at 15' "

95% of that audio clip was talking about how he could be just like osi was in his prime and that he was the most pure pass rusher in draft

Kiper's a helmet-head... but he didn't say the Giants wasted the pick.

Ruttiger711
12-29-2011, 11:45 AM

I don't like Kiper, but he had nothing bad to say. He said that he could develop into a "fierce pass rusher in this league" in the "mold of Osi Umenyiora."

In the last 5 seconds Don La Greca of ESPN New York radio asked (paraphrasing), "Is this a pick where we will look back and say, 'wow, what athleticism, what a player,' or will we look back and say, 'boy, did they waste this pick at 15."

could have saved myself some typing if i just read your post - oops

Kruunch
12-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Natasha .... they are not buying the progaganda!

DragonSoul
12-29-2011, 01:39 PM

Awesome....JPP, they might have had doubts, we may have had doubts, good thing you shut everyone up!Not sure how Mel still has a job. Mike Mayock is so much better on the NFL Network, night and day difference.

Damn a person who has no clue can do better then Mel.

RoanokeFan
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM

[Y]

BParcells777
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
What did Mel think about Victor Cruz??.........players that transcendent never reveal themselves in college......these guys are God's chosen team......and he does not take the cloak off til they arrive in the NFL

Jim Brown might be the only exception........everyone knew even in college he was unstoppable

Ntegrase96
12-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I always thought it was because most people felt like JPP would possibly be on the board in the second round and the fact that the Giants already had Osi and Tuck?

Obviously not a wasted pick though. Caught JPP in action one night on some random channel when he was till at USF and thought to myself 'that's definitely a New York Giant type defensive end'. He just fit the mold.

jjj45
12-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Him and McShay are ****ing pathetic.I seem to remember you saying what a bad pick it was at the time. Just saying.... And as it turns out Mel never said anything like that either. He was praising JPP a lot when we selected him. Apparently he's not as pathetic as we all think.

bigblue5611
12-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Notwithstanding the apparent or possible inaccuracy of your post, and im sure pretty much every regular poster on here has been there at one time or another, THANK YOU SIR for your service..it is not taken for granted and may you & yours have a blessed new year...

jjj45
12-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Notwithstanding the apparent or possible inaccuracy of your post, and im sure pretty much every regular poster on here has been there at one time or another, THANK YOU SIR for your service..it is not taken for granted and may you & yours have a blessed new year...http://boards.giants.com/emoticons/emotion-21.gif

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Yeah i guess it wasnt mel kiper at the end. It was Don LeGreco...my bad, it was late night.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 02:23 PM

Notwithstanding the apparent or possible inaccuracy of your post, and im sure pretty much every regular poster on here has been there at one time or another, THANK YOU SIR for your service..it is not taken for granted and may you & yours have a blessed new year...
Yeah I guess it wasnt kiper who said that at the end, OP said it was Don la greco, it was late and I guess i couldnt tell the difference, thought it was kiper....my mistake...regardless JPP proved alot of ppl wrong

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 02:23 PM

Him and McShay are ****ing pathetic.I seem to remember you saying what a bad pick it was at the time. Just saying.... And as it turns out Mel never said anything like that either. He was praising JPP a lot when we selected him. Apparently he's not as pathetic as we all think.
I definitely didn't agree with the pick, but McShay and Kiper are still pathetic.

I was on board with the pick in a half hour though. Just saying.

bigblue5611
12-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Apparent or possible, did you listen to the radip clip??? Lemme guess, you just read the article.

i didnt read or listen to anything, i believe you...i was just thanking you whether your post is accurate or not ;)

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 02:31 PM

Apparent or possible, did you listen to the radip clip??? Lemme guess, you just read the article.

i didnt read or listen to anything, i believe you...i was just thanking you whether your post is accurate or not ;)
EDITED: nah man i was wrong OP pointed it out, my mistake, and your welcome brother, thanks for the support!

jjj45
12-29-2011, 02:35 PM

I was on board with the pick in a half hour though. Just saying.That's cool. but I dont like when people knock a draft analyst when they aren't the ones on TV making money doing it.

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM

I was on board with the pick in a half hour though. Just saying.That's cool. but I dont like when people knock a draft analyst when they aren't the ones on TV making money doing it.
It's all good, but I'm sure you also remember my sig at the time of the prediction too, right?

jjj45
12-29-2011, 02:49 PM

It's all good, but I'm sure you also remember my sig at the time of the prediction too, right?lol im not sure, I know you had Julio for a while, so I guess you were pissed that the Giants didn't get him.

Glad the draft turned out the way it did.

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 02:53 PM

It's all good, but I'm sure you also remember my sig at the time of the prediction too, right?lol im not sure, I know you had Julio for a while, so I guess you were pissed that the Giants didn't get him.

Haha my man! It was Julio, he went the year afterwards and I really wasn't that upset we didn't get him, I was much happier with Amukamara anyway.

jjj45
12-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Haha my man! It was Julio, he went the year afterwards and I really wasn't that upset we didn't get him, I was much happier with Amukamara anyway.ah right, of course. For some reason I thought he went last year. Forgot how the Falcons sold their soul to get him this year.

Glad we got prince too. Cant win 'em all right?

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Haha my man! It was Julio, he went the year afterwards and I really wasn't that upset we didn't get him, I was much happier with Amukamara anyway.ah right, of course. For some reason I thought he went last year. Forgot how the Falcons sold their soul to get him this year.

I guess not. Not giving up on the kid yet.

jjj45
12-29-2011, 03:04 PM

I guess not. Not giving up on the kid yet.I meant as far as you predicting who we would draft.

Prince, I feel is gonna be a stud.

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I guess not. Not giving up on the kid yet.I meant as far as you predicting who we would draft.

Prince, I feel is gonna be a stud.
Oh yeah, true. If we could we'd be psychics.

greenca190
12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I like Matt Millen.

jjj45
12-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Oh yeah, true. If we could we'd be psychics.lol we'd like to think. but we are so fortunate that Cruz stepped up and we got a nice CB with prince. Instead of Julio, who many Falcon fans are second guessing the pick. It has set them back a lot.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Haha my man! It was Julio, he went the year afterwards and I really wasn't that upset we didn't get him, I was much happier with Amukamara anyway.
I have come to the conclusion that my 1st round would be Kuechly (which he wont be there) or Dre Kirkpatrick...

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 03:22 PM

I have come to the conclusion that my 1st round would be Kuechly (which he wont be there) or Dre Kirkpatrick...I'm loving both of these players big time. I see Kirkpatrick being a shutdown guy.

I just worry about going secondary twice. We've done it before though, Ross and Phillips. I'd love Kirkpatrick. Muka, DK, Webster, Ross is a decent foursome of corners, and it's been proven that you need corners to win.

But like you said, if Kuechly is gone, which he probs will be.

Redeyejedi
12-29-2011, 04:28 PM

Mayock is the man, very high football IQ and really good at evaluating talent. I like when he does the commentary for nfl networks games too, goes very in depth with the plays. I always watch the nfl network draft coverage over bspn, Kiper is simply amusing because he's so ridiculous, that's it.I love that he does the Notre game games he does a great job

gmen0820
12-29-2011, 04:30 PM

Mayock is the man, very high football IQ and really good at evaluating talent. I like when he does the commentary for nfl networks games too, goes very in depth with the plays. I always watch the nfl network draft coverage over bspn, Kiper is simply amusing because he's so ridiculous, that's it.I love that he does the Notre game games he does a great jobAnd his Thursday Night Football was incredible this year.

gumby742
12-29-2011, 09:30 PM
to be fair, i was not a fan of the pick.