PDA

View Full Version : If the Colts were to release Payton,,, do you think he would be a good fit as an offensive coach???

Leo Da Giant
12-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I Always wondered how Payton would make as a Offensive coach.......

Kruunch
12-29-2011, 01:03 PM

I don't think you'll find out for at least 10 years.

Leo Da Giant
12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
I see him as giving great insight to a remarkable QB.. worse in the head set calling for differing trick plays

MattMeyerBud
12-29-2011, 01:08 PM

if Colts release Peyton, he'll be a redskin

Rudyy
12-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Peyton*

And not all players can be fit for a coaching job.

NYfanatic
12-29-2011, 01:11 PM

I have a feeling he would go to the niners or some other franchise he KNOWS he has a chance to win at. He is like the rest of the mannings, classy, he wont go to the skins since he doesnt want to upset Eli, he doesnt want to go to the jets for the same reason. Dolphins? Maybe. Any place that has a chance to win a bowl and not upset Eli or Archie.

barran21
12-29-2011, 01:16 PM

He won't go to a franchise he can't win with, he's going to team that's missing a QB, Seattle has a good team, even the Cards, Peyton and Fitz sheeesh the nightmares DC will be having every week,

RagTime Blue
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't think they'll release him. He's the Derek Jeter (and then some) of that franchise.

I think Peyton will first do some broadcasting when he hangs it up (I predict success. . .particularly as an in-game analyst). Then again, I predicted success in broadcasting for Tiki Barber.

But I do think he could make a fantastic coach. He practically called every play for the Colts the last five years anyway. Players will not question his authority, and his football IQ is like Einstein's physics IQ.

MattMeyerBud
12-29-2011, 01:32 PM

I have a feeling he would go to the niners or some other franchise he KNOWS he has a chance to win at. He is like the rest of the mannings, classy, he wont go to the skins since he doesnt want to upset Eli, he doesnt want to go to the jets for the same reason. Dolphins? Maybe. Any place that has a chance to win a bowl and not upset Eli or Archie.

don't sleep on the skins. The only thing they are missing is a legit QB

their defense is legit, their line is decent enough and they have underrated talent at RB and WR while having two VERY solid TEs/upbacks

MattMeyerBud
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't think they'll release him. He's the Derek Jeter (and then some) of that franchise.

I think Peyton will first do some broadcasting when he hangs it up (I predict success. . .particularly as an in-game analyst). Then again, I predicted success in broadcasting for Tiki Barber.

But I do think he could make a fantastic coach. He practically called every play for the Colts the last five years anyway. Players will not question his authority, and his football IQ is like Einstein's physics IQ.

yea personally I don't get it either

keep him, draft luck, and thenwhen its time for luck to step up hopfully peyton will be done by then - if hes not then hes not.

I hate how QBs get thrown the wolves ALL the time now. It use to be about easing QBs in letting them learn the game before they run the team.

burier
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM

Strongly doubt he goes into little brother's division. Actually I guarantee he doesn't do that.

SweetZombieJesus
12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
He wants out of Indy if they draft a new QB because he doesn't want to groom a successor -- so I'd say no.

Maybe after he's retired for a few years like Don Mattingly.

RagTime Blue
12-29-2011, 01:39 PM

keep him, draft luck, and thenwhen its time for luck to step up hopfully peyton will be done by then - if hes not then hes not.

I hate how <font size="6">QBs get thrown the wolves ALL the time</font> now. It use to be about easing QBs in letting them learn the game before they run the team.

Well, we know that it's because of the insane amounts of money that early picks get nowadays. Owners don't want to see millions of dollars holding a clipboard.

Aaron Rodgers should be the model of QB incubation (without the vet who comes out of retirement every May).

MattMeyerBud
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Strongly doubt he goes into little brother's division. Actually I guarantee he doesn't do that.

i dunno man. I think Peyton would have to worry about Peyton. Hes all about winning and I think he would want to go to the best place he could.

MattMeyerBud
12-29-2011, 01:42 PM

I hate how <font size="6">QBs get thrown the wolves ALL the time</font> now. It use to be about easing QBs in letting them learn the game before they run the team.

Well, we know that it's because of the insane amounts of money that early picks get nowadays. Owners don't want to see millions of dollars holding a clipboard.

Aaron Rodgers should be the model of QB incubation (without the vet who comes out of retirement every May).

yea maybe with this new CBA that had the rookie contracts lowered that will change

ebick
12-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I hate how QBs get thrown the wolves ALL the time now. It use to be about easing QBs in letting them learn the game before they run the team.
</P>

Totally agree, but I think it's all about the money. If you pick a guy low in the 1st round, you're shelling out some serious dough now, not "when he's ready". And, if you're shelling out the dough now.....the owner wants him out there.</P>

burier
12-29-2011, 01:45 PM

i dunno man. I think Peyton would have to worry about Peyton. Hes all about winning and I think he would want to go to the best place he could.

I think Peyton would be looking out for Peyton by staying out of Eli's division. Who wants to deal with a Manning Bowl twice a year???

Also Shannahan is a coke head. I doubt Peyton would want to deal with that guy and his son trying to tell him whats what.

I could see him at the 9ers or something like that but the skins seem like a reach.

JimC
12-29-2011, 01:49 PM
If Payton can play, why would they release him. I think if the Colts believe he can play and be effective then you trade your pick for a boatload of talent/picks that will make it easier for Payton to win now. Why would you bring in Luck if you thought Payton has another 8 years?

On the other hand, if Payton can't play then you draft Luck and sign a veteran QB to hold down the fort while the kid learns. All the while you still need to hope that Luck is that guy for the next 10 years. Big gamble

Maybe you just trade the pick and get as many good players as you can.

yatitle
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
<font color="#FF0000">How bout as Eli's backup? If Carson Palmer can have his bro as a backup in Cincy why can't Eli?
</font>

Tony Bruno
12-29-2011, 04:37 PM

I don't think you'll find out for at least 10 years.

Agreed... In his mind he is still a player...

jakegibbs
12-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Nope but we get to see him 2 times every year in a Deadskin jersy. Book it.

BurnerNYG
12-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Nope but we get to see him 2 times every year in a Deadskin jersy. Book it.Nah, I don't think he's going to the Skins but then again it depends how the draft turns out. Luck is obviously gonna get selected 1st and St. Louis and Jacksonville aren't in pressing needs of a QB. I think the Skins are gonna try to draft Robert Griffin III.

greenca190
12-29-2011, 06:42 PM

I think Peyton would be looking out for Peyton by staying out of Eli's division. Who wants to deal with a Manning Bowl twice a year???

Also Shannahan is a coke head. I doubt Peyton would want to deal with that guy and his son trying to tell him whats what.

I could see him at the 9ers or something like that but the skins seem like a reach.

If you can't seem him working with the Shannahan's, then I have no idea how you can picture him playing with a Harbaugh.

I can see him on the Titans if Indianapolis would ever let that happen.

But to answer the question, no, I don't think he'd make a good offensive coach. He is too stubborn already as a player. I cannot see him catering an offense to the personnel on his team.

Furiator
12-29-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm scared if Peyton becomes a free agent that he will land with the Redskins. Looks like a good fit for him.

BurnerNYG
12-30-2011, 02:07 AM
So you guys really think Washington is gonna continue with this one or two year fixes when they got a chance to draft a franchise QB?

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 02:12 AM
moreover, i follow the nfl pretty closely, i've never heard of any reason why peyton would go to washington.

washington needs a qb, peyton plays qb. that's the only connection. its not like peyton has played for shannahan before or has strong ties to him.

just as likely he'd go to the jets, or 9ers, etc. i find it odd how several posters are saying he'd def. go to washington. does anyone have any credible info as to how they think that and not bc its there gut feeling...

BornLegend
12-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Nope but we get to see him 2 times every year in a Deadskin jersy. Book it.Nah, I don't think he's going to the Skins but then again it depends how the draft turns out. Luck is obviously gonna get selected 1st and St. Louis and Jacksonville aren't in pressing needs of a QB. I think the Skins are gonna try to draft Robert Griffin III.Cleveland and Minnesota got piss poor records too. I think the Browns is gonna draft RG3 and ruin his career. He should pull an Eli.

brad
12-30-2011, 12:08 PM

I know... great players don't make great coaches, but considering that he calls all the plays when on the field for the Colts... he certainly seems like the ideal fit as an OC. That being said, I don't think he swallows his ego and becomes a coordinator. It is more likely that he goes to a team where he believes he has a chance to win, or goes into broadcasting.

pino
12-30-2011, 02:30 PM
He'll be our back up. (red font)

BurnerNYG
12-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Nope but we get to see him 2 times every year in a Deadskin jersy. Book it.Nah, I don't think he's going to the Skins but then again it depends how the draft turns out. Luck is obviously gonna get selected 1st and St. Louis and Jacksonville aren't in pressing needs of a QB. I think the Skins are gonna try to draft Robert Griffin III.Cleveland and Minnesota got piss poor records too. I think the Browns is gonna draft RG3 and ruin his career. He should pull an Eli.Honestly, I don't want none of those teams to draft him... especially Washington. When I see a player like RG3, I don't wanna see him in no color but blue. I bet when Eli retires, we're not gonna have nothing but bums to pick from in the draft. Are you a new poster or a clone? Lot of you newjacks running around here.

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 04:19 PM
am i the only one who things rg3 is way overhyped?

he seems like hes more of a gimmick offense qb. watching them last night, he just looks like he is better suited to be a slot wr then qb. he has an awkward delivery, looks like he doesnt have the build of a prototypical qb, doesnt seem like he has the build to take the punishment an nfl qb takes throughout the season.

i wouldnt be worried at all if washington took him. yeah he has speed and agility, but playing qb is a lot more than that. baylors offense seemed like it was a one read and if he's covered run it system.
he reminds me of a skinnier, smaller jason cambell. that could be just me tho. i know he's got a ton of talent and athleticism, but to be an nfl qb, a successful one at that, you need a whole lot more than that.

BurnerNYG
12-30-2011, 04:43 PM
am i the only one who things rg3 is way overhyped?

he seems like hes more of a gimmick offense qb. watching them last night, he just looks like he is better suited to be a slot wr then qb. he has an awkward delivery, looks like he doesnt have the build of a prototypical qb, doesnt seem like he has the build to take the punishment an nfl qb takes throughout the season.

i wouldnt be worried at all if washington took him. yeah he has speed and agility, but playing qb is a lot more than that. baylors offense seemed like it was a one read and if he's covered run it system.
he reminds me of a skinnier, smaller jason cambell. that could be just me tho. i know he's got a ton of talent and athleticism, but to be an nfl qb, a successful one at that, you need a whole lot more than that.He reminds me of Cam Newton... not build wise but skill level. As far as his size is concerned, if Brees and Flutie can pull it off, why can't he? He's very intelligent and he seems like a very humble kid that'll listen to his coaches, study film and do all the right things to be successful. I guess we'll have to wait and see how he pans out.

BurnerNYG
12-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Also, he has a quick delivery, he's accurate and he doesn't throw a ton of picks.

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Also, he has a quick delivery, he's accurate and he doesn't throw a ton of picks.

i dont think he has a quick delivery but agree with pretty much everything else you said in the prior two posts.

but flutie and brees were pretty much purely passers. flutie would occasionally have one of those memorable runs, but he rarely would depend on it.

rg3, if he tries to play the same way he does in college in the nfl, will be plagued by injuries. his build is a major concern in my eyes. he's very very talented, but i dunno...there have been a lot of qbs like him, maybe not as talented, but similar and in the nfl they rarely work out and usually end up playing a diff. position.

newton is able to play the way he does bc he's 6'6 and like 245 pounds. he can sustain the hits, rg3 cannot. he will be a project player as far as im concerned, and would be thrilled if washington drafted him to be honest.

BurnerNYG
12-30-2011, 05:20 PM

i dont think he has a quick delivery but agree with pretty much everything else you said in the prior two posts.

but flutie and brees were pretty much purely passers. flutie would occasionally have one of those memorable runs, but he rarely would depend on it.

rg3, if he tries to play the same way he does in college in the nfl, will be plagued by injuries. his build is a major concern in my eyes. he's very very talented, but i dunno...there have been a lot of qbs like him, maybe not as talented, but similar and in the nfl they rarely work out and usually end up playing a diff. position.

newton is able to play the way he does bc he's 6'6 and like 245 pounds. he can sustain the hits, rg3 cannot. he will be a project player as far as im concerned, and would be thrilled if washington drafted him to be honest.If you said this about Denard Robinson, I would agree but I think with all the rule changes that protect the QB's in the NFL, RG3 is gonna be fine. I don't think he's a player that has to depend on his legs but it's an added weapon to his arsenal.

I'm at work so I can't give a strong debate but I also didn't fully agree with what you said about Campbell. Do you realize how many coordinators he had in Washington? Before he got hurt this year, he was playing solid. That guy never stood a chance.

Drez
12-30-2011, 06:14 PM

He won't go to a franchise he can't win with, he's going to team that's missing a QB, Seattle has a good team, even the Cards, Peyton and Fitz sheeesh the nightmares DC will be having every week,
</P>

The Redskins' biggest problem is that they don't have a QB. </P>