PDA

View Full Version : Walterfootball's draft grades..

Carter.525
04-26-2013, 11:12 PM
19. Justin Pugh, OT/G: C+ Grade The good news is that Justin Pugh can pretty much play anywhere on the offensive line. The bad news is that Justin Pugh is a reach at No. 19. It's unlike the Giants to make a pick like this. It'd be one thing if they were desperate for a left tackle, but they just re-signed William Beatty to a long-term deal. Pugh can play right tackle, and he would probably be an upgrade over David Diehl. Still, there were better options available. Follow @walterfootball for updates.

49. Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State: B Grade The Giants signed Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson in free agency, but they apparently wanted a larger body. Johnathan Hankins was once projected in the first round, but this is the right range for him. This is a decent choice that makes sense.

81. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M: A+ Grade Wow. I never would have imagined Damontre Moore falling this far back in January when nearly everyone had him going in the top five. Moore struggled terribly at the Combine, running a 4.9 40, and then some character issues surfaced. It's understandable why he maybe dropped out of the first round, but there's no reason why he should have been available near the end of the second day. He's just too talented.

Cloud57
04-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Ouch. the grade that really matters is the 1st round and the fact that he can play anywhere on the offensive line means he's isn't talented at any one position. Moore in the 3rd round was really the BPA

Carter.525
04-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Ouch. the grade that really matters is the 1st round and the fact that he can play anywhere on the offensive line means he's isn't talented at any one position.I heard a TC interview and he views Pugh as a tackle.. and I'm guessing RT

Cloud57
04-26-2013, 11:51 PM
I heard a TC interview and he views Pugh as a tackle.. and I'm guessing RTThat would be a good choice as we have no RT

Carter.525
04-26-2013, 11:53 PM
That would be a good choice as we have no RTbest case scenario..

DVision
04-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Ouch. the grade that really matters is the 1st round and the fact that he can play anywhere on the offensive line means he's isn't talented at any one position. Moore in the 3rd round was really the BPA

Why does the first round grade matter more than any other? None of these grades matter. For one the people inside the organizations know more than any of these writers or supposed experts and two you can't really grade a draft until 2 or 3 years after the players have actually taken the field!

Piddy283
04-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Why does the first round grade matter more than any other? None of these grades matter. For one the people inside the organizations know more than any of these writers or supposed experts and two you can't really grade a draft until 2 or 3 years after the players have actually taken the field!

Whoa whoa whoa....slow down you're making way too much sense here.

Kruunch
04-27-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm liking Moore in the 3rd ... I'm really hating Hankins in the 2nd. Awful pick considering Arthur Brown was there.

I gotta be honest though ... I'm kinda disappointed in our draft this year so far. :(

BlessedinBlue22
04-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Okafor in the 3rd is still a steal, best against run and pass. Moore is wack.

G-Men Surg.
04-27-2013, 02:13 AM
I think Reese and Co. are not losing any sleep if they were to read that. Giving grades is just a pleasant pastime for the media and fans.

gabriel_1
04-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Exactly, and I'm also not bothered by Hankins in the second because I believe that Marvin Austin and Shaun Rogers won't be with us next year. Jenkins is bad against the run, even though he was pretty good two years ago last year he sucked; he is a great pass rusher and it will give us the ability to penetrate the passer. Hankins has great run stopping ability and he will fit very good on 1st and 2nd downs. This kid weights 320 and played almost every down for Ohio. I'm not a big fan of the need, but considering we were horrible against the run Hankins make sense

gabriel_1
04-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Okafor in the 3rd is still a steal, best against run and pass. Moore is wack.

Damontre Moore is far from wack... This guy is 20 and he racked up 26.5 sacks in three years!! These are TOP 15 stats. He did runs a bad forty and his 19 reps at bench press are far from impressive, but now he is entering a full-time training facility, and he will workout and workout only for the next 4-5 months. The talent is there, and even though he had some off-field issues I think that was a great pick.

BlessedinBlue22
04-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Damontre Moore is far from wack... This guy is 20 and he racked up 26.5 sacks in three years!! These are TOP 15 stats. He did runs a bad forty and his 19 reps at bench press are far from impressive, but now he is entering a full-time training facility, and he will workout and workout only for the next 4-5 months. The talent is there, and even though he had some off-field issues I think that was a great pick.

I hear he only did 12 reps at the combine, and 4.9 4o for a d-end who was supposed to be a 10 top pick is suspect. I'm not tryna be a debbie downer lol, i hope i'm wrong about him, But when u have a devin taylor, who dominated the senior bowl with Ansah. Reviewing this guy's tape, all i see is Bust against top olineman like Lane Johnson. Watch his vid vs. Oklahoma. This should be re-titled "Lane Johnson domination tape."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFv3OML998

Rat_bastich
04-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Comparisons from Lindy's guide.

Damontre Moore-John Abraham. In that guide he was rated the number 2 defensive end behind Werner. This was just after the Combine so take the ratings for what they are worth. Prospect pass rusher just scratching the surface of potential. Generates impressive speed off the edge and the late burst to close.

Johnathan Hankins-Brandon Mebane. In the Lindy's guide he is listed as 5th best DT. The knock on him was he looked gassed, but the explanation that is given is that he was on the field all the time (with the rotation that the Giants use it should work in Hankins' favor). The guide also says he tears through blocks like paper and can play three tech or two gap zero tech as a nose tackle in a 3-4.

Nothing on Pugh in that guide.

RagTime Blue
04-27-2013, 03:02 AM
We should be thankful for Moore's slow 40-time and OTF issues. Much like Hakeem Nicks' hamstring, those are the reasons he was there for us at all.

Toadofsteel
04-27-2013, 10:02 AM
We should be thankful for Moore's slow 40-time and OTF issues. Much like Hakeem Nicks' hamstring, those are the reasons he was there for us at all.

I just don't want his OtF issues hampering the team... it's the primary reason I was the Ogletree hater.

giantsfam04
04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
I just don't want his OtF issues hampering the team... it's the primary reason I was the Ogletree hater.

Big difference in spending a top 20 pick and a 3rd round pick on a guy with off the field issues. Hosley, Manniningham had issues and they worked out well so far.

FBomb
04-27-2013, 10:52 AM
19. Justin Pugh, OT/G: C+ Grade The good news is that Justin Pugh can pretty much play anywhere on the offensive line. The bad news is that Justin Pugh is a reach at No. 19. It's unlike the Giants to make a pick like this. It'd be one thing if they were desperate for a left tackle, but they just re-signed William Beatty to a long-term deal. Pugh can play right tackle, and he would probably be an upgrade over David Diehl. Still, there were better options available. Follow @walterfootball for updates.

49. Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State: B Grade The Giants signed Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson in free agency, but they apparently wanted a larger body. Johnathan Hankins was once projected in the first round, but this is the right range for him. This is a decent choice that makes sense.

81. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M: A+ Grade Wow. I never would have imagined Damontre Moore falling this far back in January when nearly everyone had him going in the top five. Moore struggled terribly at the Combine, running a 4.9 40, and then some character issues surfaced. It's understandable why he maybe dropped out of the first round, but there's no reason why he should have been available near the end of the second day. He's just too talented.

Completely meaningless.