PDA

View Full Version : Great draft so far

Piddy283
04-26-2013, 11:48 PM
We've addressed the areas of need so far. Versatile lineman who is above average at pulling and getting to the 2nd level, and pass protection. We got a beast of a DT that can plug the middle to help our run defense. We got a DE that's well rounded and can get to the QB.

I give this draft a B+ so far. I really don't understand the negativity so far but the fact that most of y'all are upset makes me more confident in these picks. Well done Reese!

J. Tuck Rule
04-26-2013, 11:54 PM
So far we've gotten a 2nd Rounder in the 1st round. A 2nd Rounder in the 2nd Round. And a 1st Rounder in the 3rd Round.

myles2424
04-27-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't get the 2nd round pick more than the 1st....we take a DT higher than he would've gone while there's 6 DTs on the roster??
We literally drafted a guy right where he was projected while legit BPAs are still on the board....
I'm pretty sure we all agree jamar Taylor or Arthur brown would've been better value & adressed bigger needs

Piddy283
04-27-2013, 12:24 AM
I don't get the 2nd round pick more than the 1st....we take a DT higher than he would've gone while there's 6 DTs on the roster??
We literally drafted a guy right where he was projected while legit BPAs are still on the board....
I'm pretty sure we all agree jamar Taylor or Arthur brown would've been better value & adressed bigger needs

I don't agree. We have 5 CB's currently on the roster. Most of whom have starting experience in the NFL. CB is also one of the deepest positions this year and there's still talent to be had. I still don't get the hype over Brown, but I didn't watch him much. I think people are just sold on him b/c of what they've read and heard from ESPN. Has anyone realized that people rarely go where they're supposedly projected to go?

Hankins is an absolute beast. He can plug the hole in the running game, and he has a great first step making him very hard to keep out of the backfield. He will make our DE's lives much easier, and should help keep the OL from getting to our LB's.

Moore is a great pick. Unlike a lot of DE's in this draft, he's not a one trick pony. He'll be great to have, especially after next year when FA hits. Should have an immediate impact, and adds great depth.

Pugh wasn't going to be there for our 2nd pick, never mind the 3rd.

While I agree LB is still a glaring need, I think the value we got from these 3 picks trumps any LB we could've gotten so far. Plus, good lines make every other position better. I'm loving this so far.

Piddy283
04-27-2013, 12:27 AM

Plus, out of the 6 DT's on our roster, how many are proven? How many have stayed healthy an entire year? How many of them are in their contract year? You have to look further out than just this season when drafting.

myles2424
04-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Plus, out of the 6 DT's on our roster, how many are proven? How many have stayed healthy an entire year? How many of them are in their contract year? You have to look further out than just this season when drafting.
Yes ofcourse, but DT has much more going on than LB.....actually if the season started tomorrow we don't even have enough LBs!! & every single LB we have is barely average & injury prone.....
And CBs, prince is our only good Cb!! Webster,Ross won't be on the team next year after they get torched again...Hosley, we have no clue....that's 1 good cb in a pass first league..

Piddy283
04-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Yes ofcourse, but DT has much more going on than LB.....actually if the season started tomorrow we don't even have enough LBs!! & every single LB we have is barely average & injury prone.....
And CBs, prince is our only good Cb!! Webster,Ross won't be on the team next year after they get torched again...Hosley, we have no clue....that's 1 good cb in a pass first league..

To me, besides OL, LB was our weakest unit coming into the draft. In fact, I wanted Ogletree in the first which doesn't seem to be the popular choice. Also, to go along with you, I have never been a fan of our DB's. I think they are and were a product of our front 7 and the pressure we used to get on the QB. I think if we can start getting consistent pressure on the QB again, Webster will be fine. Ross is average at best, but he's a solid 3rd DB. Thomas and Hosely....well we'll see. Still if we can get pressure, I think we'll be fine. Also, having a big DT in the middle will make our LB core look better as well. Not only that, but they won't be able to double team the ends as much being that this kids first step is top notch.

The good thing about this draft is it's deep in every position of need the Giants have. I have him mocked in my signature, but CB's like McGee can still be had in the 4th/5th, and there's still a good amount of LB's available.

Kruunch
04-27-2013, 12:49 AM

Hate to burst your bubble but Hankins is a fat *** who dies at half time. Oh and his best year was two years ago as a sophomore.

Considering we have a bajillion DTs ALL of whom are more proven than Hankins I'm not seeing the optimism here.

Really not a fan of this pick.

BlueReign
04-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Love the 3rd round pick.

NYGfanSTRICK
04-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but Hankins is a fat *** who dies at half time. Oh and his best year was two years ago as a sophomore.

Considering we have a bajillion DTs ALL of whom are more proven than Hankins I'm not seeing the optimism here.

I honestly think that JR and company were thinking that maybe he could eventually be Linvals replacement.. I would have preferred Brandon Williams honestly but I guess we will see.

Kruunch
04-27-2013, 12:58 AM
I honestly think that JR and company were thinking that maybe he could eventually be Linvals replacement.. I would have preferred Brandon Williams honestly but I guess we will see.

Linval is a third year player ... Why would you be looking to replace him?

Piddy283
04-27-2013, 12:59 AM

Yea, 320 is definitely not skinny. But run defense was the weakest aspect of our D last year. Our DT's have been terrible the last couple years. Besides Joseph, who has proven anything in a Giants uniform? Kuhn looked good (and I hope he pans out b/c I'm a NC State fan), and Marvin still has upside, but Kuhn was injured last year and Marvin has not proven anything. I'm confused as to how our bajillion DT's have all proven something.

With Jenkins, Joseph and hopefully Hankins/Austin/Kuh, we'll have a very formidable rotation at DT. Again, solid DT play helps every other position on the field including the DE's and LB's.

I think folks will be very satisfied with the pick come mid season.

NYGfanSTRICK
04-27-2013, 01:09 AM

In case whenever his contract is up he gets some big offers in FA and we do not want to match. I do not know that is the only reasonable thing that I could come up with for the pick because I think that they are very similar in body build and maybe they are hoping that they can get the same type of production out of him.

BlueSanta
04-27-2013, 01:20 AM

Because he is a free agent after this year. Here is a list of our other free agents next year:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2014/new-york-giants/

and for some reason Nicks isn't on that list, but he is a free agent after this year.

In summary, our free agent list is enormous. Linval Joseph is going to command a lot of money. A lot of teams will be interested in him, barring an injury. As much as I hope we can, it is unlikely we are able to resign him and his position is 1 of the most essential to the success of this defense.

nycsportzfan
04-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Because he is a free agent after this year. Here is a list of our other free agents next year:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2014/new-york-giants/

and for some reason Nicks isn't on that list, but he is a free agent after this year.

In summary, our free agent list is enormous. Linval Joseph is going to command a lot of money. A lot of teams will be interested in him, barring an injury. As much as I hope we can, it is unlikely we are able to resign him and his position is 1 of the most essential to the success of this defense. Thats the only reason i could see us taking Hankins personally.. It at least makes sense.. But, i still hope we don't lose Linval...